PDA

View Full Version : Devils sign C Rob Niedermayer

Nascar-NJDevils
09-25-2009, 05:52 PM
The Devils have signed free agent center Rob Niedermayer. The announcement was made by Devils' President/CEO/GM Lou Lamoriello on Friday.

"I felt that we needed a little size and strength down the middle," Lamoriello said. "Now with Travis (Zajac) and Zubie (Dainius Zubrus) and Robbie, I think we have three pretty good size, strength center ice men. We know Robbie well, of course. We've played against him enough in the Stanley Cup (Finals). He's had tremendous Stanley Cup experience and can be used in different roles."

Niedermayer, who turns 35 in December, scored 14 goals and seven assists in 79 games with Anaheim in 2008-09. The younger brother of former Devils defenseman Scott, Niedermayer lost to the Devils in the 2003 Stanley Cup Finals before capturing the trophy with the Ducks in 2007.

Niedermayer, currently in Kamloops, B.C., is expected to join the team by Monday.

http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=499815

DevsYanksJets
09-25-2009, 11:22 PM
I like this because we desperately needed a center but on the other hand, why couldn't we do this like 6 years ago and keep Scott (the good niedermayer who we had for so many years!!!) and why did we bother? This in no way puts us over the top we're still not that great of a team why not give this spot to a Lowell kid for less money and see what he's worth for the future. You signed the wrong one Lou.

friarfan07
09-26-2009, 12:13 PM
yeah. decent move, but i have to wonder if it was indeed done as a result of desperation up front.

either way, rob's a great guy to have, and i can only hope his brother follows suit sometime between now and the trade deadline or, maybe more realistically, after this season.

NJDEVS24
09-26-2009, 01:27 PM
I like this because we desperately needed a center but on the other hand, why couldn't we do this like 6 years ago and keep Scott (the good niedermayer who we had for so many years!!!) and why did we bother? This in no way puts us over the top we're still not that great of a team why not give this spot to a Lowell kid for less money and see what he's worth for the future. You signed the wrong one Lou.

scott niedermayer was a defensemen not a center....

Jersey Mike
09-26-2009, 02:18 PM
playing the form of trap that we will most likely be playing requires a "team" type of player...he doesn't have huge numbers but he will most likely provide good fore checking and back checking that a 1-2-2 type of system uses...

this is why we don't go after an ovechkin or crosby or gretzky and left me scratching my head when we went after tedenby in the draft...our system requires good checking and extreme discipline to position even if you want to drift around the rink...this is what will get you burned in a trap system...you need to play lanes and force turnovers...you need to know your man is gonna be there when you create one of those turnovers and I believe that he will be...kinda why guys like shanny and rolston can come back here and be successful...they are not selfish with the puck and play with discipline...this is also why guys like madden were so damned good here...

I actually feel better about the josefson signing than the tedenby signing for this reason...if josefson is young and plays like madden we have something really special there!!! anaheim played good physical hockey recently and I think that this guy will be a good fit with us...

DevsYanksJets
09-26-2009, 05:37 PM
scott niedermayer was a defensemen not a center....

Yes I know this but he was for us and still is for the Ducks a GREAT defenseman who was putting in 30+ points and even once almost 60 which he has done before. Rob as a CENTER doesn't have those kind of numbers, so as long as we have a youth movement anyway, why take a spot away from someone from Lowell is what I was saying. And if anything we should've signed Rob a couple years ago when Scott wanted to play with his brother.

DevsYanksJets
09-26-2009, 05:43 PM
playing the form of trap that we will most likely be playing requires a "team" type of player...he doesn't have huge numbers but he will most likely provide good fore checking and back checking that a 1-2-2 type of system uses...

this is why we don't go after an ovechkin or crosby or gretzky and left me scratching my head when we went after tedenby in the draft...our system requires good checking and extreme discipline to position even if you want to drift around the rink...this is what will get you burned in a trap system...you need to play lanes and force turnovers...you need to know your man is gonna be there when you create one of those turnovers and I believe that he will be...kinda why guys like shanny and rolston can come back here and be successful...they are not selfish with the puck and play with discipline...this is also why guys like madden were so damned good here...

I actually feel better about the josefson signing than the tedenby signing for this reason...if josefson is young and plays like madden we have something really special there!!! anaheim played good physical hockey recently and I think that this guy will be a good fit with us...

The first line can't carry this team offensively forever, what happens when Parise has an off night? Are we not gonna score thats why we went after Tedenby you need some scorers. And I think Lou and the rest of the scouts knew Tedenby was one hell of a talent to pass over with the 24th as he matures I'm sure his defensive responsibility will to.

Jersey Mike
09-26-2009, 08:32 PM
The first line can't carry this team offensively forever, what happens when Parise has an off night? Are we not gonna score thats why we went after Tedenby you need some scorers. And I think Lou and the rest of the scouts knew Tedenby was one hell of a talent to pass over with the 24th as he matures I'm sure his defensive responsibility will to.

watch the tedenby highlights...he's a drifter and he's never where he should be...he's a talent for sure but he should get used to playing a system...if one man (even one with talent) is out of his position / lane it is like playing 5 vs. 4! If he is behind the net dicking around or in the opposite corner of the rink from where he is supposed to be and someone dumps him the puck, it could be a turnover against us...

He's an entertaining player to watch but he needs to mature a little as a player in our system before he will fit in I think...I could be wrong but I doubt it...He most certainly could fit in on powerplay and he does have wheels and can move...but I used to tell my players to give me the fastest man on the team...the team would decide who the fastest player was and I would put him on the blue line and I would stand behind him on the goal line...I would then tell him he was gonna race the puck to the other end of the rink...needless to say the puck always moves faster than the fastest player on the rink...haven't seen a player yet that can do 50-80 mph on a good day...so that being said, in a trap speed can get you burned...

don't get me wrong, he is talented and fast but he doesn't appear to be disciplined with his position...

DevsYanksJets
09-26-2009, 09:58 PM
He's still young along with his game and he hasn't played American hockey yet he has so much raw talent and skill if we can mold his game he can be a hell of a player. Give him time to grow get bigger and stronger, I read his scouting report from the site in my 2010/2011 post which says he's also not afraid to lay a hit. I think he'll work out he just has to learn a little more its not like he's at the downslope of his career he's at the very beginning.

Jersey Mike
09-27-2009, 06:32 AM
He's still young along with his game and he hasn't played American hockey yet he has so much raw talent and skill if we can mold his game he can be a hell of a player. Give him time to grow get bigger and stronger, I read his scouting report from the site in my 2010/2011 post which says he's also not afraid to lay a hit. I think he'll work out he just has to learn a little more its not like he's at the downslope of his career he's at the very beginning.

naw, I'm agreeing...if he is openminded at all he should be good...he will have to totally change his game it looks like though...we don't usually need a guy like him, which is why you won't see lou trade up to get a huge star at #1 or even the top 10...if anything, lou will usually trade back to pick a guy up later that isn't so fancy...I was surprised that he traded back and still picked up a flashy player is my point...

but my other point is, neidermeyer is at the downslope of his career but our system is designed to slow down faster, younger players and it truely is a team system which is why I think that an older guy can step in and step up...I think that rob will do very well here...I don't think that he is a long term solution but he is a veteran presence to help the younger, less mature players buy into our system and style of hockey play...young guys will need to have that to grow...maybe guys like, uuhhh...tedenby???

I think guys like shanahan, rolston and neidermeyer give our system some credibility and they help the younger players to see the benefits...

DevsYanksJets
09-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Lol Tedenby won't be here until at least next season Robby will probably be gone by the time he suits up for us. Besides we got Josefson who is supposed to be an excellent two way player and have great chemistry with Tedenby I think both picks will pay off once them two are playing together.

NJDEVS24
09-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Yes I know this but he was for us and still is for the Ducks a GREAT defenseman who was putting in 30+ points and even once almost 60 which he has done before. Rob as a CENTER doesn't have those kind of numbers, so as long as we have a youth movement anyway, why take a spot away from someone from Lowell is what I was saying. And if anything we should've signed Rob a couple years ago when Scott wanted to play with his brother.

And that's exactly what lou was trying to do, sign rob when scott was a free agent so he would stay, but it didn't work out so there's nothing else he could have done.

DevsYanksJets
09-28-2009, 01:41 PM
And that's exactly what lou was trying to do, sign rob when scott was a free agent so he would stay, but it didn't work out so there's nothing else he could have done.

Yeah the past is the past now I can't wait to see some of these rookies in the N.H.L like Zharkov, Tedenby and Josefson.

JetsYanksDevils
09-28-2009, 03:54 PM
nice im actually really happy bout this deal

Jersey Mike
10-09-2009, 01:33 AM
I'm telling you, I opened a can of neidermeyer KOOL AID when we signed him and I'm still sippin' it...I'm liking this signing more and more!!! dude is around the puck a lot...

friarfan07
10-09-2009, 01:15 PM
anyone care to opine on how good we'd be if we still had arnott this year? when i think of what we need, he comes to mind immediately. man i miss my a-line (elias, sykora, arnott).

Jersey Mike
10-09-2009, 03:29 PM
our system requires a defensman who will lay someone out skating through the neutral zone...the reason for the trap is to slow down speed from the opponents forwards...if they are apprehensive about flying through our neutral zone, it also slows them down a bit mentally...you think guys ran through our neutral zone with the possibilities that stevens or daneyko were gonna take their head off??? we need that defensive fear factor and we just don't have it...a hard hitting offensman doesn't do the same thing because they are often leaving the offensive zone when the other team's forwards are in the neutral zone...you need a defensman that isn't gonna mind making a nasty hit...we have speed and finese defensmen, just not a nasty bastard like scott or kenny...

friarfan07
10-09-2009, 05:25 PM
^ that i agree with. nothing about our defense scares me. 10 years ago however, it was quite a different story.

DevsYanksJets
10-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Elias Arnott and Langenbrunner sounds dirtyyyy and yeah we could use one of those defenseman 2 would be ideal. Imagine Martin and Oduya slingin the puck and then Stevens and Daneyko kickin' as* and takin' names? Sounds insane to me.

Jersey Mike
10-11-2009, 10:08 AM
everyone gather around...I'm mixing up a pitcher of neidermeyer flavored KOOL AID...everybody have a big tall glass...hahaha

he is doing a great job here...like how physical he is and the guys seem to play different around him...he fights for it...