PDA

View Full Version : Fitz restructures his contract

bornFrisco49er
08-21-2009, 01:49 AM
Fitz restructures his contract

Larry Fitzgerald has restructured his contract to help the team create some extra salary cap room. Fitz was reluctant to talk much about it – he isn’t a guy who likes having his business out there for public consumption – but he said he felt it was something he should do. He also mentioned Anquan Boldin’s situation.

“Guys that are elite players in the business, they have to sacrifice,” Fitzgerald said. “I know my fellow guy Q, he is in a position he doesn’t want to be in and I just want to see him happy. We talked about it when we moved into the new stadium, I remember in a preseason game talking with him about the Ring of Honor and how nice it would be to both have our names up there one day.”

The move does free cap space – it has to do with incentives Fitzgerald might earn this year, which under the old pact would have immediately taken up cap space if reached – but it doesn’t necessarily mean anything is immediately on the horizon in terms of a new Boldin deal, or even that the space is intended for Boldin.

“I volunteered,” Fitzgerald said. “I told them if they needed something I wouldn’t hesitate. They said they needed it.”

http://www.azcardinals.com/blog/post.php?author=1&id=2296

what a role model..maybe crabtree can learn a thing or two.:sigh:

hornitosmonster
08-21-2009, 02:00 AM
Man of his word. Bravo to him. I think the Cards needed the extra space because they messed up with Dansby.

iam brett favre
08-21-2009, 02:58 AM
Gotta respect him to the fullest. Great on the field, and unlike a WR that posed like it in Marvin Harrison, great off the field.

jd_azsportsfan
08-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Good to Hear

Eagles_Guy
08-22-2009, 12:23 AM
What a class act Fitzgerald is.

But then again, when you make $17mil a year, I guess you can afford to hold off on a mil or two of it if need be:p

Bigdaddyburch
08-25-2009, 10:41 PM
What a class act Fitzgerald is.

But then again, when you make $17mil a year, I guess you can afford to hold off on a mil or two of it if need be:p

Something tells me it had little to do with money. B. Marsh could learn something from him

chadillachembre
08-27-2009, 10:32 AM
maaaaan... fitz is the best teamate in sports. the guy is incredible.

Raidaz4Life
08-27-2009, 11:44 AM
I've got a lot of respect for this guy

davekrieg lives
08-28-2009, 01:01 PM
Fitz is only making 10 million a year not 17 mil and thats on a 4 year contract extension...plus we didnt mess up with dansby he wanted to either become a free agent and command top dollars or willingly get franchised for almost 15 mill a year ....he wasnt going to give the cards any kind of discount he doesnt have the loyalty like other members of teh team...

chadillachembre
09-08-2009, 04:46 PM
^Ya im not the biggest Karlos Dansby fan because of that

DABEARS23
09-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Why has Boldin not been given a monster contract yet..I wish my Bears would of given up a 1st and 3rd for him...Hes my favorite wr in the entire NFL and if I had any say he would of been wearing a Bears jersey right after the superbowl last year..This guy deserves the extension you guys got any news on it ??

Eagles_Guy
09-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Why has Boldin not been given a monster contract yet..I wish my Bears would of given up a 1st and 3rd for him...Hes my favorite wr in the entire NFL and if I had any say he would of been wearing a Bears jersey right after the superbowl last year..This guy deserves the extension you guys got any news on it ??

Probably because you wouldn't have got him for a 1st and a 3rd.

The Cards told the Eagles when they made an offer for Boldin that they felt the Roy Williams deal to Dallas was the benchmark for a WR deal, and that since Boldin is a better WR than Williams, that Boldin should command much more that a 1st, 3rd and 6th that Williams garnered.

Oh and they also contended that Jerry Rice had similar numbers to Boldin at this point in his career, so therefore that made his value even higher.

Andy Reid said he got the feeling that the Cards never wanted to deal Boldin in the first place.

DESERTDWELLER
09-08-2009, 06:54 PM

Same here.

hornitosmonster
09-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Fitz is only making 10 million a year not 17 mil and thats on a 4 year contract extension...plus we didnt mess up with dansby he wanted to either become a free agent and command top dollars or willingly get franchised for almost 15 mill a year ....he wasnt going to give the cards any kind of discount he doesnt have the loyalty like other members of teh team...

What? Dansby doesn't owe the Cards anything. If anything He did it right...he played out his contract without crying about it. Now he will get a huge payday next year. Hometown discounts? Fitz and Warner didn't give the hometown discounts..they got paid huge money...

The Cards slapped him with the F Tag two years in a row...Not Dansby fault that the Tag money is better then the contract the Cards offered. He would have been an idiot to sign a long term "Hometown" deal with the Cards when an uncapped year is looming in the distance...

xxxplicit69
09-12-2009, 12:11 AM
larry fitzgerald is a role model for wrs, he's such a class act, really humble but very talented. i remember hearing him in an interview talking about this in order to help boldin out. as a bears fan i wanted boldin to come to chicago, but if fitzgerald was willing to do all that to keep the team together, boldin should stay. he would look like the biggest A-Hole if he left the cards now.

sirfreshness
09-13-2009, 12:45 PM
What? Dansby doesn't owe the Cards anything. If anything He did it right...he played out his contract without crying about it. Now he will get a huge payday next year. Hometown discounts? Fitz and Warner didn't give the hometown discounts..they got paid huge money...

The Cards slapped him with the F Tag two years in a row...Not Dansby fault that the Tag money is better then the contract the Cards offered. He would have been an idiot to sign a long term "Hometown" deal with the Cards when an uncapped year is looming in the distance...

While i agree with what you say the problem these players may end up making is that with an uncapped year also bring no minimum cap. Just because the Jerry Jones, the Al Davis, and the Dan Synders of the worlds will spend freely doesnt mean every team will just start throwing crazy money out, the team still has to make money, and be run like any other business. So yes the top players will make a killing but it wont get spread around as much as it is now.

Also an uncapped year more than likely will lead to a lock out in 2011 so that means ZERO dollars for the players. Both players and owners realize they cant have the cake and eat it too. If they cant get together they will ruin a big chunk of what the NFL has built.