PDA

View Full Version : devils should make offer for brad richards

jakub
07-21-2009, 08:44 AM
the dallas stars are shopping brad richards witch still has 2 years on his contract with 7.8 mill a season who in 56 games last season scored 16 goals and 32 assists who can be a point per game player playing with elias and rolston he is also a great leader lou said he will most likey try to get a top line center through a trade why not get richards sure hes expensive but we will still have about 4 mill in cap space

deke173
07-21-2009, 11:22 AM
I agree, I thought the same thing when I saw that Dallas was shopping Richards. He would compliment Elias and Lemaire wants to put Rolston back on the wing. That would be a lethal 2nd line that arguably could compete with other teams 1st lines. Richards is used to being a 2nd line center like he was in Tampa Bay where he flourished. Any thoughts on what we could give up? I was thinking of getting rid of Zubrus and his contract or trading White because he is no longer a shut down D-man. Obviously Lou would have to add a pick or two as well.

jakub
07-21-2009, 01:28 PM
umm i would love to trade zubrus white and mybe throw a 2010 2 round draft pick . then its like paying only 2 mill for richards because white is like 3 mill and zubrus is like 3.4 and we can call up jay leech a more shut down defensmen who i think can tally more points then white

friarfan07
07-21-2009, 02:39 PM
i'd like it, but for less money and about the same production IMO, we should just sign mats sundin. i swear the guy is still a top scorer. and for $5MM or so, he'd be a great addition.

NjDevilsFan
07-21-2009, 03:16 PM
I actually like what Jakub is saying here and in the trade he mentioned it would basically even his cap hit and Sundin is only looking for 5 mil a year?

friarfan07
07-21-2009, 04:13 PM
^ according to rumors, yeah. i think 2 years, $10MM would get it done, especially from a contender with a good system in place as we are/have.

NjDevilsFan
07-21-2009, 05:14 PM
I'm not a very big fan of him after what he did last year but I guess he is a competitor trying to win a cup like everyone else, sounds like he would provide some nice veteran leadership.

jakub
07-21-2009, 06:54 PM
i really doubt the devils are going to sign sundin yes he is a great leader but he is old and hell only get u 50-60 points no more and he wants about 8 to 10 mill i rather spend 5 mill on kessel then 8 to 10 sundin

deke173
07-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Right now in their careers I think Richards is the safer younger bet over Sundin. Playing with Elias and Rolston would be deadly for opposing defenses. Also imagine the help Richards would provide on the power play. We need a speedster who can pass and keep up with the likes of Elias and Rolston. Not a Hall of Fame bound fossil. I doubt we have or better yet Lou is willing to trade the peices neccesary to obtain Kessel who is not an UFA. Dallas is letting go of Sydor and Zubov so they need fairly young and reliable defensemen. I would give them White and Leach plus a late round pick for Brad Richards.
We have Corrente, Eckford, Gelinas, and Urbom who are not too far off from playing in the NHL and we just signed Cory Murphy who is an offensive defenseman.

JesusJuicer
07-22-2009, 12:39 PM
he fits in the org but the money doesnt really work. He's awfully expensive and not likely to score more than 25 goals. Then again, with the right compliments he could work out and it is just 2 years.

friarfan07
07-22-2009, 02:04 PM
i really doubt the devils are going to sign sundin yes he is a great leader but he is old and hell only get u 50-60 points no more and he wants about 8 to 10 mill i rather spend 5 mill on kessel then 8 to 10 sundin

i sure as hell wouldn't want to pay $8MM for sundin this season, but if we could get it done for $5MM, i'd be down.

8 points in 8 playoff games to go with 28 points in 41 games is nothing to sneeze at. he would make the line he's on better by default.

and brad richards, at $7.8MM this season alone, coming off two seperate hand injuries, is not as good IMO as sundin for $5-6MM (if he would settle for that), coming off a clean bill of health since the ASG last season.

neither of them are longterm solutions, but either would help the offense immediately.

NJDEVS24
07-23-2009, 12:55 PM
I agree I like Brad Richards lets get him. He's a good player and is a gritty, tough player to deal with.

deke173
07-23-2009, 02:54 PM
He's the ideal second line center and power play help we need. Get this done Lou!