07-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Craig Anderson went to Colorado
David Booth signed a 6 year deal with us

Miami_Megatron
07-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Damn i was hoping we would sign Anderson

fins08
07-01-2009, 09:35 PM
It means Maarkstrom will prolly play here then! Or we sign a new vet.

fins08
07-01-2009, 09:41 PM
After locking up a pair of their own players (David Booth, Radek Dvorak) first today, the Panthers have signed two players in free agency -- goalie Scott Clemmensen and defenseman Ville Koistinen.

Clemmensen, 31, signed a three-year deal worth $3.6 million to be Tomas Vokoun's backup now that Craig Anderson is gone. Anderson signed a two-year deal with the Avs today.

You might remember Clemmensen -- he played pretty well while Martin Brodeur missed much of last season with a biceps injury. The six-year veteran had a .917 save percentage and 2.39 goals-against average last season.

Koistinen, 27, has two seasons of NHL experience -- both with the Predators. He had three goals and eight assists and a plus-14 rating in 38 games last season after four goals, 13 assists and a plus-18 rating in 48 games in 2007-08. He's versatile, too. He played forward in eight games last season.

Plus, Koistinen is Finnish, giving them at least one hometown connection entering next season's opener in Helsinki. Ville Peltone, for now an unrestricted free agent, would give the Panthers two Finns should he re-sign with the team.

No Maarkstrom

We got these 2 plus Dvorak resigned

305sportsfan
07-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Overall a somewhat boring day for us, I must admit. I was really hoping, although I knew it wasn't likely, that we would pursue one of the big name forwards. I read on ******** a rumor that we were looking at Alex Tanguay, which would make me pretty happy, although i had my fingers crossed most of the day for Havlat heh. Although I am just about as pumped as Booth is on his re-signing. What's everyones opinion on our new backup G, don't know much about him, besides him playing some games in relief of Marty B., to be honest.

305sportsfan
07-02-2009, 05:19 PM
SO... I'm beginning to believe that Heatley is waiting for an offer from the sunny South Florida, where he wouldn't face as much scrutiny as he is in Canada... Just a thought..? haha. A guy can dream can't he?!

AndrewJames1222
07-02-2009, 08:00 PM
ESPN is reporting......WE SIGNED LEOPOLD TO A ONE YR CONTRACT!!!.

Sexson is a god!

305sportsfan
07-02-2009, 10:20 PM
With the signing of Leopold, I'm thinking Sexton is just about done stacking up the blue-line... Now the question is, will he make a move for a freakin' forward?! Just like the heat, we're sitting on our hands as the rest of the East beef's up their teams. Kind of frustrating.

fins08
07-03-2009, 09:32 AM
I read something that said he likes our top 6 forwards and won't go after a big name.

fins08
07-03-2009, 11:41 PM
Skrastins signed with Dallas...

305sportsfan
07-03-2009, 11:44 PM
Well, I have hope in our prospects, but the fact of the matter is it would only help to bring in a hired gun for our offense. IMO it's what our future stars need to assure they work hard, and to their full potential. I'm a big fan of Horton, but sometimes i feel as if he's not even the ole college try. Same with Olesz and Weiss, and with Olesz contract he better be putting in 110%... Is it too much to ask to get in the playoffs?! At first I wanted Bouw to stay at the deadline, believing in our playoff run, and our odds with him, but now I'm forced to wonder, what if we would have traded him?... What kind of deals were being spoken of at the time? I know Martin said nothing worthy was presented, but who know what would have happened if he really shopped JBo? Oh well, we'll never know hah. Go panthers!

fins08
07-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Yeah, we are not going after a forward tho. Maybe Shawn Matthias can help too

305sportsfan
07-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Yeah, we are not going after a forward tho. Maybe Shawn Matthias can help too

I would be extremely excited to see Matthias out on the ice, but in the end I know you're right, just doing a bit of the off season dreaming... What else is there to do, watch baseball?! haha.

fins08
07-05-2009, 09:37 AM
baseball :drool:

:laugh:

Matthias was too inconsistent.

305sportsfan
07-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Ugh, I know, tell me about it... At least I was able to catch some of a CFL game the other day, so i suppose it's not THAT bad haha. How many games did Matthias wind up playing last season anyway? Is he dominating the AHL at least? hah

fins08
07-05-2009, 07:34 PM
I am not sure. Will look when I have time. I know he had like 2 goals once in a game.

fins08
07-06-2009, 05:42 PM
We signed Jeff Taffe!

The Panthers signed unrestricted free agent center Jeff Taffe to a two-year deal today.

Taffe, the Blues' first round pick (30th overall) in the 2000 draft, has played parts of six seasons in the NHL.

The 28-year-old Minnesota native played eight games with the Penguins last season and had two assists. He played 45 games with Pittsburgh the season before, getting five goals and seven assists.

He has 20 goals and 20 assists in 153 career NHL games with the Coyotes, Rangers and Penguins. Taffe's best season came in 2003-04 with the Coyotes when he had eight goals and 10 assists in 59 games -- all career highs.

Like newly signed Panthers' defenseman Jordan Leopold, Taffe was teammates with Panthers' defenseman Keith Ballard at the University of Minnesota.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_hockey_panthers/2009/07/florida-panthers-c-jeff-taffe-signs.html

b_rad23
07-06-2009, 07:24 PM
I feel like the Panthers keep bringing in semi-young, mediocre guys and somehow expect to improve.

Time to open up the checkbook and bring in someone who's actually wanted on other teams.

phxcyots22
07-07-2009, 01:03 PM
This team really needs to bring in a name, not just for the added fact that we can actually have someone to rely on to score some goals, but to also fill the seats and bring some attention to the Panthers. When Florida travels to a place like Chicago, do you get the feeling, after the Panthers lineup is announced, half the crowd goes "Who?". We have NO high profile palyers (Vokoun is our highest now that J-bo is gone)!

Im all for a guy like Koivu, Tangauy, Bertiuzzi, etc... Someone that is a proven scorer who can keep us form those horrible horrible 40 shot shutouts/1 goal games. I can't stand and watch us outshoot someone 45-20 and lose 2-1.

fins08
07-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Agreed, but it just won't happen

fins08
07-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Boynton to Anaheim.

Peltonen likely to go to Europe.

We may have intrest in Tanguay

fins08
07-12-2009, 09:57 AM
The Panthers added a forward prospect today, signing right winger Graham Mink to a two-year contract.

Mink, 30, has played in seven career NHL games -- all with the Capitals. In 68 games with their AHL affiliate, Hershey (Pa.), last season, he totaled 32 goals and 59 points. The Stowe, Vermont native had seven goals and eight assists in the playoffs as Hershey won the Calder Cup.

“Graham, a two-time Calder Cup champion, has experienced tremendous success on the AHL level and also understands what it takes to compete on the National Hockey League level,” Panthers' assistant general manager Randy Sexton said in a statement released by the team.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_hockey_panthers/2009/07/florida-panthers-panthers-add-another-winger.html

30 year old prospect. We are such a bad franchise, Sexton is garbage and we can't sign anybody with more than 10 games of NHL experience.

Kulikov Rules
07-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Boynton to Anaheim.

Peltonen likely to go to Europe.

We may have intrest in Tanguay

Thank god we didn't re-sign that useless piece of **** that Boyton is . I'm glad that we stayed out of the free agency overpayments , hopefully we can take advantage next season with the cap decrease of those teams who kept on speding money and need to get rid of good players to fit under the salary cap (I envy Atlanta for getting Kubina at that price , he would have made the best replacement for ..erm you know who)
I'm pretty sad we lost Craig, he was a great player for us but he needs to pursue his career in a place where he can become the starter. Good luck to him in Colorado. Clemmensen is nothing special IMO, I'm glad we signed him (he learned from the best in the business) but let's face it , he was more of a system product.

Tanguay would be good , the guy is underrated but I hope he passes a physical first and they make sure he's not going to have another injury prone season.

fins08
07-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Weclome. Maybe we should bring up Kulikov :)
I want Tanguay, just not the injuy obviously, and yes, I agree, Craig Anderson will be a tough loss, but Clemmentine I think will be a decent replacement

fins08
07-13-2009, 05:58 PM
A pair of former Panthers, winger Anthony Stewart and defenseman Noah Welch, signed with the Thrashers today.

The Panthers chose not to tender Stewart a qualifying offer as a restricted free agent this summer. They traded Welch to Tampa Bay at the trade deadline last season.

Both have the potential to develop into solid players. It should be interesting to see how much playing time they'll get with their new teams.

Still intrest in Tanguay

AndrewJames1222
07-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Drew Larman, Another Former Panther Now....Signed With Boston.

Kulikov Rules
07-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Weclome. Maybe we should bring up Kulikov :)
I want Tanguay, just not the injuy obviously, and yes, I agree, Craig Anderson will be a tough loss, but Clemmentine I think will be a decent replacement

Thank you , good to be around :)
He's one of the most NHL ready prospects from this draft . He obviously has the skill and he doesn't shy away physically . If he works hard this summer , it's possible for him to land a spot in the training camp .

Pensx3
07-14-2009, 09:22 PM
It would have been better for the Panthers to have finished in the bottom 5 or 10 teams and not in the top 10 or so teams. The team is clearly not good enough for a deep playoff run, at best they will make the 7th or 8th seed in the east. They would almost certainly be eliminated by the top 5 or 6 teams in the east. They needed a big name scorer and seem to accept another subpar season. I was in Miami for spring break and saw the Penguins the Panthers. It was pretty sad to see the turn out at the game and I imagine teams sell more tickets when a team like the Penguins are in town. I was surprised to see that the Panther's cap number is around $52 million; I would have guessed $45 million with lack of big name players there.

fins08
07-14-2009, 09:42 PM
Drew Larman, Another Former Panther Now....Signed With Boston.
who

Thank you , good to be around :)
He's one of the most NHL ready prospects from this draft . He obviously has the skill and he doesn't shy away physically . If he works hard this summer , it's possible for him to land a spot in the training camp .
I hope he does

It would have been better for the Panthers to have finished in the bottom 5 or 10 teams and not in the top 10 or so teams. The team is clearly not good enough for a deep playoff run, at best they will make the 7th or 8th seed in the east. They would almost certainly be eliminated by the top 5 or 6 teams in the east. They needed a big name scorer and seem to accept another subpar season. I was in Miami for spring break and saw the Penguins the Panthers. It was pretty sad to see the turn out at the game and I imagine teams sell more tickets when a team like the Penguins are in town. I was surprised to see that the Panther's cap number is around $52 million; I would have guessed $45 million with lack of big name players there.

I'd be happy just making the playoffs.

Kulikov Rules
07-15-2009, 05:09 AM

That's pretty ignorant considering it comes from a Pens fan . Pens played like a rock bottom team mid-season and they were able to turn it around with a healthy Gonchar and a new coach. The Panthers were playing very well last season for the first time in I don't know how many years , we were happy just to see them winning and aiming the playoffs..it was an incredible run. Yeah,we lost Jay-Bo and arguably we are worse than we were last season but I'm pretty confident in Kulikov,Leopold,Reinprecht they are good character guys who can still improve our team . If we can get Tanguay I think we are definite a contender for a playoff spot , not to mention our young guys who are now more experienced and hopefully better. So don't write us off like the rest of the league did with the Pens last season.
And I'm happy with Kulikov..this guy has top 10 talent..he was picked at 14 because he's a RUSSIAN !

305sportsfan
07-15-2009, 01:37 PM

Funny cause the Panthers managed to fair well against most of the East teams, including the Penguins. In fact I'm almost certain the Panthers won their series against the champs. I gotta give it to you though, I do wish we had Malkin here... But you can keep Crosby and his cheap shots :D :smoking:

fins08
07-15-2009, 05:27 PM
The Panthers, who'll open the 2009-10 season in Helsinki, added another Finnish connection today, signing free agent center Jamie Johnson to a one-year contract.

Unlike defenseman Ville Koistinen, Johnson is not Finnish. However, the 27-year-old -- with no NHL experience -- played for TPS Turku of the Finnish Elite League last season, tying for first on the team with 20 assists and third with 28 points in 42 games.

Before playing in Finland, he was with Albany of the AHL, where he led the River Rats with 58 points (21 goals) in 79 games. His addition will give the Panthers more depth at AHL Rochester.

Soooooooooooo........what about any other potential signings, say Alex Tanguay?

Not talking about Tanguay, assistant GM Randy Sexton noted today: "We're being selective to be sure we find the player to fill the right need at the right price. We like the chemistry of our team so we have to be sensitive to that. ...We also want to provide a spot for some our younger players. So kids like [Shawn] Matthias and [Keaton] Ellerby and [Jason] Garrison and [Dmitry] Kulikov are going to have a chance and we don't to preclude them that opportunity if filling it in with a veteran at this stage."

How much money is available for the Panthers to spend?

"We want to be prudent. ...but there's dollars available if we need them. We just want to make sure we're spending wisely."

***In other team news, Jason MacDonald was named an assistant equipment manager. MacDonald spent the past three seasons as head equipment manager of the Florida Everblades, the Panthers' ECHL affiliate.

NO NHL Playing time!

Kulikov Rules
07-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Good for AHL I guess. LOL fins08 , you have a lot of favourite teams , are you watching all of them on a regular basis?
And if anybody on here could make me a Panthers signature (doesn't matter the player , the logo and the uniform are important) I would appreciate it.

fins08
07-16-2009, 07:05 PM
You need 100 posts to get a sig, I can link you to a good sig guy. I like a lot o teams. Some on a daily basis

Kulikov Rules
07-17-2009, 04:33 AM
Thank you, I will post and wait then:)

Eklund reported that we signed Tanguay (classified it as a E5 if I'm not mistaken) . What happened ?

fins08
07-18-2009, 09:44 AM
False repot

Nothing new so far regarding Alex Tanguay.

But today former Panthers' defenseman Cory Murphy signed a two-way contract with the Devils. Murphy started last season with the Panthers, then claimed by the Lightning on re-entry waivers in January.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_hockey_panthers/2009/07/former-panthers-d-murphy-signs-with-devils.html

Just interesting

305sportsfan
07-18-2009, 02:10 PM
Ughhhh, just when I'm starting to get frustrated with the heat not being able to make moves, I come over to check up on my Panthers news, and nothing... haha. Eklund, the jerk or all jerks when it come to rumors, has done it again. I remember seeing that e5 with the panthers and Tanguay, but alas, nothing. Hopefully it's true though, and it's just in the works... ::fingers and toes crossed!:: hahaha.

ps, Fins, as you can see, I recently surpassed that 100th post, and am considering getting a sig done, and up. How do i go about that? Sorry, I'm a noob :X. haha. Thanks in advance!

fins08
07-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Hey, I will pm you with a link to a sig dude...

Anyways, it is frustrating

305sportsfan
07-22-2009, 09:04 PM

Thanks a lot bro, i really appreciate it! I need something to keep myself occupied with, seeing as how Tanguay isn't tanning on Sobe yet!!! :mad:

305sportsfan
07-23-2009, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the hookup man! WHat do you think of my first sig? haha.

305sportsfan
07-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Moving along, what the heck are the panthers up to these days?! Haven't really heard much besides the schedule and their new site layout. Tanguay talks seem to be dying slowly... Who's still available? TSN has a nice table with the FA pickups, just stinks not to see us up on there.

fins08
07-23-2009, 09:07 PM
No one at all. That sig is absolutely sick btw. Just awesome!