PDA

View Full Version : Devils Draft Day

NjDevilsFan
06-26-2009, 02:05 PM
I started this thread to hear you guys thoughts about our draft days needs, decisions etc. I am trying to become more involved in this forum because in Staten Island there's not many hockey fans, let alone Devils fans and since someone was gonna most likely make this why not me.
So lets hear it guys what do we need to get done?

Do0msday
06-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Devs traded up ... if they get Moore I'll **** my pants while wearing a smile!

NjDevilsFan
06-26-2009, 09:54 PM
And the Devils Select Jacob Josefson

Do0msday
06-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Jacob Josefson. Not bad. I would have much rather had Moore though, but Josefson could be the next John Madden, which we're going to be needing. So it was both a need and value pick, which thus makes this a very solid pick. Kind of sucks that Moore is still available though...

NjDevilsFan
06-26-2009, 09:55 PM
I'm kinda disappointed in this pick I'm not gonna lie.

NjDevilsFan
06-26-2009, 09:56 PM
They should've got moore.

Do0msday
06-26-2009, 10:00 PM
I do freaking (LOVE) the idea of a nice offensive defensemen...but they could have done worse with the pick. It's a solid pick. With what was available I'd have been content with either Moore or Josefson, more so with Moore. Josefson does seem like he'll fit the team well though (based on ability/talent). He actually reminds me of a poor-man's John Madden. He's physical/tough, is a playmaker, and is the kind of guy who goes out there and gets the job done, even if he'll never be a super-star. I've read stuff that says his hockey IQ is average/above average so I think after gaining some experience and getting some more muscle then he could be a very solid 2-way player.

I'd give this pick a B...possibly a B+. And as I speak there goes John Moore who would have been an A. Though I wonder why Moore fell so far though? I remember early mocks having him in the top 10 at 1 point.

NjDevilsFan
06-26-2009, 10:01 PM
The Blue Jackets just got the player the Devils should have gotten =/

NjDevilsFan
06-26-2009, 10:02 PM
I kinda think Josefson was a waste his numbers were pretty bad in the swedish league.

Do0msday
06-26-2009, 10:04 PM
I kinda think Josefson was a waste his numbers were pretty bad in the swedish league.

He most likely won't ever put up any stellar offensive numbers. He's similar to John Madden. A tough, physical center who's gritty and makes things happen by being in the right place at the right time and sacrificing his #'s for the good of the team. I'll take a win-first player over a me-first player any day of the week. It does sting that we lost out on Moore, but at least we got a guy who could potentially help us.

NjDevilsFan
06-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Idk I just don't think it was a strong pick judging by what was left in the group we could've got someone similar later on especially with Moore still available.

Do0msday
06-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Apparently scouts seem to think that he'll become more of an offensive player as he grows. Imagine a big, physical John Madden who's also an offensive threat. I do love the thought of that...

NjDevilsFan
06-27-2009, 10:22 PM
Yeah I guess he is our next John Madden but Moore could have been our next Paul Martin probably better and in the new N.H.L there is NOTHING wrong with having a defenseman who can score.

Do0msday
06-28-2009, 01:09 AM
I think Moore had the ability to be our next Scott Neidermayer...but he still needs a little more time to develop. He's probably a few years away from being in the NHL, whereas Josefson is on the cusp (probably just 1 year away).

A LOT of analysts are saying that Josefson is like a Henrik Zetterberg-lite ... that's a great guy to be compared to. I don't think he'll have quite the upside on the offensive side of the puck, but a physical guy who can make plays, give the other team a hard time, and just has a knack for being in the right place at the right time...I like that a lot. He's got a high hockey IQ and if he can reach the potential that analysts seem to think he can then he'll be a great 2-way player...with the style of hockey we play I think that's more valuable than a potential scoring defenseman.

NjDevilsFan
06-28-2009, 03:38 AM
Yeah I guess your right I just feel like there is a TON of pressure on the first line the second was pretty streaky and the third line with Rolston was under achieving.

Devilfan309
06-28-2009, 12:08 PM
ya,i readed that in THN...He put up respectable numbers in sweden despite playing about 10 minutes a game in a fourth-line role.

If he had more ice time i think he would atl east have the double of points he did in 2008-2009

NjDevilsFan
06-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Yeah his numbers definitely didn't suggest play making center but thats how Lou sees so hopefully he will make me eat my words and be successful on the Devils.

Jersey Mike
06-30-2009, 12:21 PM
I posted on another thread that got deleted...we are 2-3 pieces from an honest run at the cup...we need players that can make an immediate impact on the team...we have farm guys that are wasting away in the minors and we keep selecting guys who are gonna play overseas for a couple of years before they make it to our minors...we either need to crunch the cap and trade some farm guys for impact vets or start rebuilding with young guys...elias, brodeur, parise and madden aren't getting any younger...we need to make some moves...not to mention that this was done azz backward...lou should have let sutter go weeks ago (beotch azz sutter is already in calgary for christ's sake) and put a coach in place that could be part of who we pick for the system he is going to implement...by letting sutter drag his feet, lou put us in a bad place...I feel that these were wasted picks...draft for now because we are already a playoff contender missing a few second and third line pieces...

NjDevilsFan
06-30-2009, 02:26 PM
I know what you mean the Devils can use a youth movement, supposedly Gionta and Madden are walking so while we still have some of these older guys we gotta let them teach the younger guys rather then have them waste away in the minors.

Do0msday
06-30-2009, 03:06 PM
I agree with you, I really do. I'm tired of our draft picks wasting away (I want to see Tedenby damnit). But I trust Lou...

Jersey Mike
06-30-2009, 03:50 PM
I agree with you, I really do. I'm tired of our draft picks wasting away (I want to see Tedenby damnit). But I trust Lou...

this is where a coach like haviland would be nice...look what he did with the youth movement in chicago...never expected them to play that deep into the playoffs...they made it farther than we did...he would have a couple of future HOF'ers on this team...with the veterans to work with, he could bring in an influx of new guys that he could work with...would only make sense to have the coach onboard for the draft...instead, we are gonna bring in another new coach and have past picks playing overseas and on our farm teams...I've been watching the coaching carousel with my oakland raiders and it doesn't develope anything...for god's sake, sutter demoted elias then left...now the new coach has to deal with sutter's quirks from last season and lou's draft picks...not the way to go!!!

Jersey Mike
06-30-2009, 03:56 PM
I used to be on the lou bandwagon, but I've been watching him blunder lately you can't trade down and take a guy that won't be on the roster for a few seasons at least and then use band aids like holik and rolston...we aren't deep enough for those guys to make a difference...now this year we traded up and took a guy that won't be on the roster for a few seasons...and to keep guys like white is a shame...we need to replace him...guys that aren't producing need to go down to the minors and we need to start bringing up new talent giving them a chance instead of the same old healthy scratches...that's not an incentive...

Do0msday
06-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Well the only reason I don't mind Lou's trading is because we traded up to get Parise and Zajac. Those turned out quite well for us. I do agree that the lack of young drafted players is hurting us a bit, and it'd be nice to just get a dan coach in position already. I have a feeling Lou is trying very hard to get Lemaire.

Jersey Mike
06-30-2009, 06:05 PM
Well the only reason I don't mind Lou's trading is because we traded up to get Parise and Zajac. Those turned out quite well for us. I do agree that the lack of young drafted players is hurting us a bit, and it'd be nice to just get a dan coach in position already. I have a feeling Lou is trying very hard to get Lemaire.

another move I disagree with...he is not a long term answer...I feel that we should start building for the future...it takes time for a system to fall in pace and start working...I feel that parise was a true find...a real treasure, but zajac I don't feel is living up to his potential...on the other hand, I feel that clarkson is a diamond in the rough...he is not what we expected in a good way...the kind of hard worker that has MVP written all over him...he originally stepped in as one of our tough guys (to take over cam jansen's spot) and ended up actually having skills...he is the kind of guy that doesn't mind mixing it up and grinding it out...what he lacks in skills he makes up for with heart...he kind of reminds me of Jimmy Dowd...

NjDevilsFan
06-30-2009, 06:13 PM
I agree completely, I think Lemaire is an AWFUL move not only is his system outdated but he himself is old I like Haviland and I think we need to see some players coming up. I can't stand Lou for trading Salmela for Havelid that was such a bust and I really liked Annsi and Clarkson has to be the most pleasant surprise since Parise scoring over 40 goals. He puts so much out there he came in as a tough guy and earned his keep and earned himself a nice role and job.

TheDetroitBlue
07-01-2009, 01:52 AM
I hope Rolston will have a big year any word on what shannys plans are for next year yet?

NjDevilsFan
07-01-2009, 09:11 AM
I'm not sure but I think he intends to retire, last I seen of him I could be wrong though.

Devilfan309
07-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Look, ithink that mattias tedenby will end his contract in sweden (2 years) and he will come play with the lowell devils or be a 4th liner in the NHL with us.

And for Josefson he will come in 1-2 years to i think. Theres wat lamoriello said....:Versus analyst: What are the qualitis that attracted you? Lou;Well just the way he plays he's just a complete player and h'es realy close to playing so thats something that realy makes us feel good.:clap::)

so what do you think...
theres the link to the interview:

http://devils.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=618&id=44251