PDA

View Full Version : The Real Reason Thabeet Canceled His Memphis Workout

Wizfan301
06-22-2009, 06:25 PM
http://dimemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/hasheem-thabeet2.jpg
The original reason that Hasheem Thabeet canceled his workout with the Grizzlies on Sunday was because of a “sore shoulder.” Then we heard that he actually had family to visit in New York so he couldn’t spend time down in Memphis.

But now, word is that those were really both just excuses, and he just doesn’t want to play for the Grizzlies.

The official explanation was a sore shoulder. The unofficial explanation? Thabeet doesn’t want to play in Memphis and wanted to stay in Los Angeles to talk Oklahoma City Thunder general manager Sam Presti into drafting him at No. 3.

Why doesn’t Thabeet want to play in Memphis? For the same reason that Ricky Rubio, Stephen Curry and others have refused workouts. Said one source in explaining the Grizzlies’ reputation: “They don’t spend any money anymore. They don’t have a commitment to put a winning team on the floor right now. It’s not where an agent wants to send his star pick.”

That puts Memphis owner Michael Heisley in an awkward place. Would he be forced into choosing James Harden at No. 2, even though they already have O.J. Mayo playing shooting guard, and Harden had a poor workout for them? Would he be forced to draft someone who doesn’t want to play in Memphis like Thabeet, Rubio or Curry? Those are definite possibilities.

Though it’s got to be deflating to hear from everyone that you like that they don’t like you, Heisley could turn this negative into a positive. If he pulls off a great draft-day move, in which he adds the right pieces who have a good attitude about playing in Memphis, he could change the culture of the place in a single day. There are always rumors about the Knicks wanting to trade up - could he get their pick at No. 8 and Wilson Chandler or Nate Robinson or David Lee? Then he could use that No. 8 pick on a guy like Jonny Flynn or Tyreke Evans if they’re still available.

If Heisley’s able to swing some deal in which he trades down and adds two legit players, the only thing left to do is to pay his stars accordingly so that players want to come to Memphis in the future.

tcman2007
06-22-2009, 08:02 PM
LOL. Poor ole Grizzles. I hope they make some good moves. I sympathize with other small-market teams. I still don't see why they don't trade for Kevin Love. There are few big men out there with the skill-set that he possesses. He can shoot, pass, rebound and he has an excellent attitude. If he were in this draft, he'd be a top-3 pick. But...they just don't want K-Love. That's okay. We'll keep him and take Jrue Holiday or Eric Maynor at the 18. Or we'll just take Stephen Curry or Tyreke Evans when/if they're available.

mzgrizz
06-22-2009, 08:06 PM
Uh, actually it has to do with his agent being the same as Warrick's.
Business is actually business for a playa who wants to go no lower than #2.

drob33
06-22-2009, 10:09 PM
Who gives a sh** about Thabeet. This guy would be almost as bad as picking Darko a few years back, even without the star players in the draft. This guy is a loser. I don't care if he likes the Grizzlies or Memphisor if he doesn't. I can almost guarantee this guy will end up riding the bench for his career with at least one stint in the NBDL. Let the jabroni ride the pine elsewhere. He's the next Kwame or Curry.

I Am Awesome-O
06-22-2009, 11:43 PM
Who gives a sh** about Thabeet. This guy would be almost as bad as picking Darko a few years back, even without the star players in the draft. This guy is a loser. I don't care if he likes the Grizzlies or Memphisor if he doesn't. I can almost guarantee this guy will end up riding the bench for his career with at least one stint in the NBDL. Let the jabroni ride the pine elsewhere. He's the next Kwame or Curry.

My sentiments exactly.

THE MTL
06-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Lol, that whole sore shoulder is some bull though.

I think yall going to draft either Rubio or Thabeet though. But I really believe Rubio will force his way out of Memphis. Thabeet would play though

mzgrizz
06-24-2009, 05:04 PM
^^^^^ How would he force his way out of anything but Joventut? Best I remember, the lottery is there for a reason, and Lord knows we Grizz have EARNED a shot at drafting and keeping Rubio.

tcman2007
06-24-2009, 10:03 PM
My sentiments exactly.

Well, I tell ya what:

If Wallace doesn't get his *** moving on a deal (for Rubio), you guys are gonna be stuck with him, period. I just don't see you drafting anyone else. Jordan Hill could be had in a "trade-down", so why take him at # 2 when you could get him with some extra pieces? Harden...well, he plays 2-guard, same as Mayo. Curry? Well, there's another "trade-down" situation. Evans...possibly. But is he worth a # 2 pick? You could probably get him at # 5 if you traded with us.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you guys don't make a deal for this pick, I think you're just gonna end up with Thabeet and nothing else. Pretty crappy, huh?