PDA

View Full Version : Deadmarsh up for management post

T.O.Bombinators
06-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Adam Deadmarsh could soon be coming back to the Avalanche.

His playing days are over, but Deadmarsh has interviewed for a management position with the Avs organization, the team confirmed Wednesday.

Avs vice president Jean Martineau said that while Deadmarsh is not up for the team's vacant second assistant coaching position, he has interviewed for another management job and is being strongly considered.

Deadmarsh, 34, expressed last month to The Denver Post a desire to get back into hockey in some capacity. He retired from the NHL in 2005 after suffering concussions and has lived a quiet family life since in Idaho with his wife and two daughters.

"I'd really like to get back into the game again, doing something, maybe some coaching. Hockey was my whole life for so long, you can't help but miss it and want to be involved with it again," Deadmarsh said in a May 25 interview.

The Avs have yet to name a new coach and assistant with their minor-league affiliate, the Lake Erie Monsters, so those could be positions for which Deadmarsh is being considered. http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_12615639

IBleedPurple
06-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Sounds good, I like it when franchises repay their best players after they retire

T.O.Bombinators
06-19-2009, 02:49 PM
The Avalanche filled two management vacancies this morning with two familiar faces.

Former Avs forward Steve Konowalchuk was named an assistant coach and Adam Deadmarsh was named the team's video/development coach.

"We're very excited to add Steve and Adam to our staff," Avalanche general manager Greg Sherman said in a team statement. "Both have a level of familiarity with the Avalanche organization, and we're confident they will provide our club with the same passion and commitment they showed as players."

Konowalchuk and Deadmarsh were players who retired early from the NHL because of medical problems. Konowalchuk retired as a player with Colorado in 2006 because of a heart ailment, and Deadmarsh from the Los Angeles Kings in 2005 because of concussion problems.

Both are in good health now and each expressed a desire to get back into the game as coaches. Deadmarsh, traded by the Avs to the Kings in 2001, was one of the most popular players among Avs fans and helped the team to the 1996 Stanley Cup.

"My family and I are excited to come back to Denver," Deadmarsh said in the release. He and has lived in Idaho with his wife and two daughters since retiring.

"Hockey has always been my life, and it's great to begin my coaching career with the franchise I won a Stanley Cup with."

Konowalchuk joins Sylvain Lefebvre as the Avs' other assistant coach under Joe Sacco.

"I look forward to continuing my working relationship with the Avalanche," Konowalchuk said in the release. "I know the vast majority of these players very well, having worked with them at different points of their careers." http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_12633830

T.O.Bombinators
06-19-2009, 03:01 PM
No the Avs have not made a trade for anyone, nor did they resign Laperriere (at least, not yet.)

No, they announced today that they filled out another part of their coaching staff.

First, Adam Deadmarsh will serve as the team's video and development coach, whatever that means. Not exactly sure what he'll be doing but it'll be nice to have Deader back with the team.

However, the hiring that will prove really helpful, is one of Steve Konowalchuk. One commonality of this coaching staff: All of them are heart players. Sacco, Lefebvre (one of the hardest names to spell) and Konowalchuk played the game hard, and with a lot of heart, none more than Kono. It is one of hockey's greatest ironies that Konowalchuk had to retire due to a heart problem.

Konowalchuk, along with Lefebvre and Sacco means the Avs will have a good penalty kill. All three guys were really good killers in their playing days and knew what it took to have a good kill. Konowalchuk will probably have a huge say in the offense as well, seeing as he could play well in all three zones.

If the coaches are reading this, aside from the penalty kill and power play, you need to work on the transition game just as hard. It's the reason the Avs scored on average two goals per game last year.

Too often they couldn't get past the red line and when they did, they would just dump it in. The new coaching staff has to prove itself before it gets a full approval but, on paper, I love it. We'll just have to see what kind of team they want (not anything like the one we had to start last year, please) and how they want them to play. So far, however, I'm excited with the new coaching staff, just am curious which person affiliated with the club will get the goaltending coach responsibilities.http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Aaron-Musick/The-Avs-PK-just-got-a-lot-better/122/21623

T.O.Bombinators
06-20-2009, 03:29 AM
Two important Avalanche jobs were filled by familiar faces Friday when the team hired former players Steve Konowalchuk and Adam Deadmarsh as coaches.

Konowalchuk was named an Avs assistant coach, while Deadmarsh will be the new video/development coach.

Though they never played together with the Avs, Konowalchuk and Deadmarsh played a year of junior hockey together (1991-92) with the Portland Winterhawks of the WHL.

"It's great to see both of them back. Both of them wore the uniform with pride," Avs captain Joe Sakic said. "You know they're going to want to get us back to where we should be."

This will be Konowalchuk's second stint working in Avalanche management, but it will be the 36-year-old's first coaching opportunity.
He served in the team's player development department in 2007-08 after retiring as a player in 2006 because of a rare heart ailment.

"The decision to move back to Denver, one year after leaving, was simple: the passion of the people involved with the organization," Konowalchuk said. "We want to help bring the Avalanche back and will work hard to do it."

Deadmarsh, 34, one of the more popular players in Avs history who retired prematurely from the NHL in 2005 because of post-concussion syndrome, is thrilled at the chance to get back into hockey.

"When there were some changes made in the Colorado coaching staff, I threw my hat in the ring, and I couldn't be happier that they had some interest in me," Deadmarsh said. "It's just great to be given this chance, and to be back in Denver. We always loved it there, and I can't wait to get started."

After retiring from the Los Angeles Kings, Deadmarsh got away from hockey. He continued to recuperate from the concussion problems that have now largely dissipated, dabbling in the construction business and living a quiet family life in Idaho. But recently, the stirrings for hockey returned, and when several coaching vacancies on the Avs opened, Deadmarsh let it be known he was very interested.

Deadmarsh, who played on two U.S. Olympic teams, won a Stanley Cup with Colorado in 1996. In 453 career games with Quebec/Colorado, Deadmarsh scored 288 points before being traded to the Kings in 2001.

Konowalchuk played 97 games over two seasons with the Avs before retiring during training camp in 2006.

Konowalchuk said he has yet to go over particulars with head coach Joe Sacco and assistant Sylvain Lefebvre regarding his areas of responsibility with the team. He left the Avs after his one year in management to get involved in coaching a junior B team in Fernie, British Columbia — the Fernie Ghostriders.

Sakic, who turns 40 next month, said he is feeling "real good" lately and is working out locally, including lots of Pilates. He said a decision about whether or not to play a 21st season for the Avs would be made within two weeks. http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_12652479

i didnt know kono left to coach some jungle B..i couldve met him in a few years then