PDA

View Full Version : Sutter steps down as Devils coach

Nascar-NJDevils
06-09-2009, 10:26 AM
The New Jersey Devils are in the hunt for a new head coach.

Sportsnet has verified reports that current head coach Brent Sutter will not return for a third season as the Devils bench boss. Sutter amassed a 97-56-11 record during his two full years as coach. The Devils failed to move out of the first round of the playoffs this year, losing to the Carolina Hurricanes in seven games.

Prior to the Devils, Sutter was the head coach for the Red Deer Rebels, which he owns and still runs.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/06/09/sutter_devils/

iamgointowin
06-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Bring Back Lemaire, Please

friarfan07
06-09-2009, 03:11 PM
thanks for the good REGULAR seasons, sut.

i wanna like this guy and wish him well, but i don't like what i've heard from him recently. very wishy-washy, and anyone who cares about hockey passionately, as i'd assume he would, would want to come back and finish what we should have done last year: win another cup.

i second the lemaire notion. he stepped down too in minnesota.

JetsYanksDevils
06-09-2009, 03:41 PM
what if we tried askin Stevens or Daneko that would be interesting it would be a hard hitting team with Daneyko as coach...other options lemaire melrose..whoever takes over the devs will have an excellent team to work with

friarfan07
06-09-2009, 04:11 PM
forget melrose, he sucks.

but i agree. any coach would love to come coach this team if they want to have a good chance at the playoffs and maybe even a cup.

i'd love stevens as a coach. lol he'd be the most intimidating head coach in the league.

NjDevilsFan
06-09-2009, 06:11 PM
NO LEMAIRE! I like Parise and Zajac actually being able to score goals rather then focusing on NOTHING but defense.

Nascar-NJDevils
06-09-2009, 07:17 PM
Former Cane's coach Peter Laviolette would be nice.

friarfan07
06-10-2009, 02:51 PM
NO LEMAIRE! I like Parise and Zajac actually being able to score goals rather then focusing on NOTHING but defense.

ok, what would you prefer:

option 1: parise and zajac score 50 goals and amass 70 assists EACH, but we lose in the 1st round to the rangers. they share the maurice richard trophy for most goals in a season.

option 2: parise and zajac score 20 goals and amass 30 assists each, yet we win the cup over the red wings in 6, marty wins the conn smythe and vezina, and madden wins the selke.

defense, in hockey, is not just a good thing; it's the best thing. i can think of three numbers that can back up my point: '95, '00, '03. none of those would have happened without our trademark new jersey trap, a defensive strategy.

TheDetroitBlue
06-10-2009, 04:56 PM
I would take option two anyday defense is where it is

JetsYanksDevils
06-10-2009, 06:51 PM
The way i look at it is get a coach that focuses on Defense and sign players that help us out on offense. With Parise we have a player that will score atleast 30 goals a year for a while so if we add a couple of other good offensive guys to a team that has players like Elias Langenbrunner Zajac Rolston and if we resign Gionta we will have a dominant offense and a coach like Stevens or Daneyko would make the Defense tough and succesful

NjDevilsFan
06-10-2009, 07:15 PM
The Devils will not win a cup under Lemaire our team will just suffer and our players will leave to play in a better system. The trap is outdated the N.H.L has made the game much more offensive. You think if we trapped we'd beat the penguins in the ECF if we made it there? No we'd get blown away by there offense besides all those trap years had Brodeur in his prime in net. He is still a great goalie but he is growing old and not in his prime anymore. John Maclean interim head coach.

friarfan07
06-11-2009, 02:09 PM
^ the neutral zone trap is illegal, but we still play a version of it. we just don't actively pursue right at the line anymore, but we still play it a lot. anytime you see another team drop the puck, cross ice, deep into our zone from just past their own blueline, it's probably because we have a few guys along the middle of the ice, so that is the only way to get it in deep without having to enter the offensive zone towards the sideboards.

make no mistake; the trap was devised by our team, and the nhl made a rule in response to it.

if anything, it's a huge compliment to our system and personnel in place at the time that a legal strategy was made illegal primarily because of our team's success in employing it.

and i dunno what martin brodeur you're talking about. the one i saw this year, when healthy, was still at the top of his game in the NHL. just get him a defense and more scoring in front of him and then see what he can do.

NjDevilsFan
06-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Thats the problem under Lemaire there will be no "more scoring" And Brodeur didn't play many games this year because of his injury. He was great when he played but do you think if he plays anywhere near 75 games this year he's gonna be that good? Your seeing with your heart if you think that. Lemaire is a mistake.

friarfan07
06-11-2009, 03:37 PM
^ well, if it takes a few more nights off to make him play as well as he did this past year, i'm all for it.

call me naive, but i really think marty still has some gas left in the tank. he's motivated by the thought of becoming the best of all time, even as humble as he is. and he looked refreshed after rehab, suggesting he's still got some fight.

he'll be a top 5 goalie this season, as usual. count on it.

NjDevilsFan
06-11-2009, 10:26 PM
But Marty refuses to rest most of the time. He insists on playing that many games and even if he is top 5 in the season as we've seen in the past, he'll be burnt out in the playoffs. And it was more then just a few nights compared to what he missed he only PLAYED a few nights. As I said Lemaire would be an awful idea for a coach.

friarfan07
06-12-2009, 02:25 PM
^ well, there are more options than you're considering i think.

if i'm the coach, i TELL HIM to rest down the stretch if we've already clinched a decent playoff spot or, God willing, the Atlantic again (gonna be tough now that pittsburgh figured out having 2 of the top 3 scorers in the league, when used properly, can be a great thing).

NjDevilsFan
06-12-2009, 11:51 PM
But he's not gonna sit or as a coach if the race for a better playoff spot is tight like it was last season your not gonna wanna sit him. Clemmer's probably gone and Weekes isn't very great so down the stretch your gonna want him in, and im sorry to tell you he is getting older. Again Lemaire is not gonna be a good coach and I will lose all faith in Lou if we bring him on. We can't play Marty that much and if we did we cant score 1-2 goals a game and consistently win anymore.

friarfan07
06-13-2009, 07:54 PM
^ you're sounding like an alarmist. what did marty do last year besides get injured that suggested a drop in his production? he was very much the same annual vezina candidate we've all come to expect.

do you not remember all the great saves he made for us? quantitatively, his 2.41 GAA was hardly off from his career average (2.21). he's still elite. maybe not at his peak, but elite nonetheless. i'd say he's still a little better than where roy was when the avs beat us in 7 in the finals in 2001. and that still worked out pretty well for roy and his team.

the main thing that sucked in the playoffs was our defense, and that's hardly marty's fault when idiots in our blue zone are trying to make cross ice passes that are easily intercepted and result in real scoring chances for opponents. this happened at least 2 times each game in the playoffs so, if anything, it's a wonder marty was able to keep his team as close as he did, what with all the scoring chances his defencemen were allowing.

NjDevilsFan
06-14-2009, 02:56 PM
As I said he's getting older and not in his prime, assuming he plays as much as he always has we need more scoring. Back to my original point Lemaire would be awful. You seem to think I have something against the guy but thats not true because I love Marty, but the fact is (unfortunately) he is growing older and under Lemaire we should not have to rely on him to hold the other team to 1 goal every game.

friarfan07
06-14-2009, 04:25 PM
^ it worked out fine the last time lemaire and marty were on the same bench.

marty is a franchise player. not only should we depend on him to hold 1 goal leads, that's what he thrives on and he wouldn't have it any other way, similar to our conversation about resting him down the stretch (he'd try to veto it, lol).

the point is, though not at his peak, he's still a top 5 goalie in the league. and to make a prediction, not all that bold considering it's been this way for the past 15 years, our weakness will not be at the goalie position next year. give marty a defense. lemaire can come or not; i don't care. i want a powerful devil defense, something we haven't seen since rafalski and nieds left. good defense creates scoring chances and better play from the goalie by default.

NjDevilsFan
06-15-2009, 07:37 PM
I agree about the defense, not about Lemaire and Marty that was a long 14 years ago.

blueman2424
06-21-2009, 09:03 AM
Well he'll still be in the NHL...

Brent Sutter is expected to be named Calgary Flames head coach as early as Sunday, several media outlets are reporting.

Sutter, whose brother Darryl is the Flames general manager, stepped down as coach of the Devils for family reasons in early June with a year left on his contract. Darryl had to get permission from Devils GM Lou Lamoriello to speak to Brent, TSN reported.

When Darryl fired Mike Keenan in late May, he said he wanted a coach in place by the entry draft. It begins Friday.

Brent would be the third of the Sutter brothers -- following Brian and Darryl -- to coach the Flames.

The job would suit Sutter because he can still be close to his family and farm, just northwest of Red Deer, and the Western Hockey League team he owns, the Red Deer Rebels.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4275657

friarfan07
06-21-2009, 02:46 PM
what a turncoat tool. i hope they finish dead last and, instead of having the ability to walk out on a team, he is simply canned.

then he'll have all year to spend with his family. this guy is such a tool. if this happened in one of the major sports, it would be front page news and sutter would be vilified (rightfully so).

NjDevilsFan
06-21-2009, 11:11 PM
The best thing the Devils can do now is have a long deep playoff run to throw it up in his face with a coach that Lou won't fire afterwards lol.

Yankees73
06-24-2009, 10:46 AM
Sutter is a douche bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope the flames suck now!!!!!!! He was never devils material.... Go back to western canada you cry baby sissy!!!!!!

Yankees73
06-24-2009, 10:51 AM
And to the post about marty cant be relied on for 1 goal games.... Remember when Lemaire was coach... Marty saw only 15 to 20 shots a game! Not 40 to 50 like under that douche sutter!

NjDevilsFan
06-24-2009, 02:10 PM
Don't misinterpret what I said we should not have to CONSTANTLY rely on Brodeur in one goal games.