PDA

View Full Version : Obama Is Sort Of Like God - Newsweek Editor

Doc Fluty
06-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Newsweek editor Evan Thomas brought adulation over President Obama’s Cairo speech to a whole new level on Friday, declaring on MSNBC: "I mean in a way Obama’s standing above the country, above – above the world, he’s sort of God."

Thomas, appearing on Hardball with Chris Matthews, was reacting to a preceding monologue in which Matthews praised Obama’s speech: "I think the President's speech yesterday was the reason we Americans elected him. It was grand. It was positive. Hopeful...But what I liked about the President's speech in Cairo was that it showed a complete humility...The question now is whether the President we elected and spoke for us so grandly yesterday can carry out the great vision he gave us and to the world."

Matthews discussed Obama’s upcoming speech marking the 65th anniversary of D-Day and compared it to that of Ronald Reagan. He then turned to Thomas and asked: "Reagan and World War II and the sense of us as the good guys in the world, how are we doing?" Thomas replied: "Well, we were the good guys in 1984, it felt that way. It hasn't felt that way in recent years. So Obama’s had, really, a different task We're seen too often as the bad guys. And he – he has a very different job from – Reagan was all about America, and you talked about it. Obama is ‘we are above that now.’ We're not just parochial, we're not just chauvinistic, we're not just provincial."

Thomas elaborated on Obama as God, patronizingly explaining: "He's going to bring all different sides together...Obama is trying to sort of tamper everything down. He doesn't even use the word terror. He uses extremism. He's all about let us reason together...He's the teacher. He is going to say, ‘now, children, stop fighting and quarreling with each other.’ And he has a kind of a moral authority that he – he can – he can do that." In response, Matthews wondered: "If there's a world election between him and Osama Bin Laden, he's running a good campaign." Thomas agreed: "Yes, he is."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr4VZ8xCzOg

after all maybe he is god.. look how he treats gays (poor gays who voted for him when he said he would support them)...so much for change for them

Justices throw out lawsuit over gays in the military law at behest of Obama Administration

The Obama administration had asked the high court not to take the case, and White House officials had said they would not object to homosexuals being kicked out of the armed services.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/06/08/justices-throw-out-lawsuit-over-gays-in-the-military-law/

blenderboy5
06-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Again...

Way to not read the article. Or understand basic lawsuits.

If the Supreme Cout had taken this case, the Obama administration would have been forced to, by default, defend the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy. Because they'd be the defendents.

But if Obama opposes it, and wants to get rid of it (unless the questions he's posing to the Pentagon bring back incredible justification), it would be awful politically (and arguably morally) for him to have to defend it and then go back and reverse it. The GOP wouldn't let him live that down, and probably use his administraiton's own arguments against him.

Doc Fluty
06-08-2009, 08:13 PM
White House officials had said they would not object to homosexuals being kicked out of the armed services.

i misread this?

blenderboy5
06-08-2009, 08:32 PM
You missed these insights from the Post:

most of the other plaintiffs asked the court to not to review the case, preferring to allow the administration to deal with the issue.

Their position was supported by the Servicemembers Legal Defense Network (SLDN), a nonprofit group that helps military personnel affected by "don't ask, don't tell." It said another case that reached the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit in San Francisco was a better vehicle to bring the issue before the Supreme Court.

More importantly, you missed this:

In the "don't ask, don't tell" case, the Supreme Court sided with the Obama administration, which had urged the justices not to hear the appeal against the policy, even though Obama is on record as opposing it. The court thus spared the administration from having to defend in court a policy that the president eventually wants to abolish pending a review by the Pentagon.

And yes, you misread the thing you quoted above. The Administration has no issue with the military enforcing the law until the law is repealed. It as, as the executive branch, their responsibility.

dbroncos78087
06-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Pretty much, checks on branches are needed when the two branches are at odds. In this regard they are probably lock-step. So the SC doesnt really need to get involved unless Obama comes out tomorrow and says to kick all the gays out of the army and starts witch hunts.

DenButsu
06-08-2009, 10:12 PM
"Sort of"?!? :pity:

DenButsu
06-08-2009, 11:34 PM
"It is offensive to the sensibilities of millions of people to hear a member of the state-run media refer to a half-black, half-white human being with no experience running anything of substance referred to as a god. He may be president of the United States, but he's not a god."
-Rush Limbaugh (http://mediamatters.org/limbaughwire/2009/06/08#0023)

gcoll
06-09-2009, 12:26 AM
Obama is a concept by which we measure our pain.

Also. I hate Media Matters. That is all.

DenButsu
06-09-2009, 05:21 AM
Also. I hate Media Matters. That is all.

That's only because you can't handle the truth (and I think you know which truth I speak of).

LetsGoA's
06-09-2009, 10:25 AM
If this is what makes president hussien obama god, consider me an athiest.

cabernetluver
06-09-2009, 10:37 AM

I almost wrote a sarcastic personal comment, one which you invited, but, upon reflection, I will let your comment speak for itself.

Zep
06-09-2009, 10:39 AM

I see what you did there, how deliciously clever! :rolleyes:

SmthBluCitrus
06-09-2009, 10:44 AM
He ninja edited "hussien" (sic) in there, too.

He can't spell. This is our resident scholar.

LetsGoA's
06-09-2009, 10:51 AM
I see what you did there, how deliciously clever! :rolleyes:

Wha wha what? ;)

LetsGoA's
06-09-2009, 10:53 AM
He ninja edited "hussien" (sic) in there, too.

He can't spell. This is our resident scholar.

My apostle, biographer, and fan club president..but she needs no introduction

SLY WILLIAMS
06-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Love or lust, Obama and the fawning press need to get a room

When Barack Obama decided that questions from the German press about his trip agenda in that country were too pesky, he told the reporters, "So, stop it all of you!" He just wanted them to ask things he wanted to talk about. Well, what politico wouldn't want that?

OK, dad. We'll behave.

And according to a new Pew Research Center poll, we are behaving...like fans. On domestic press, it showed that "President Barack Obama has enjoyed substantially more positive media coverage than either Bill Clinton or George W. Bush during their first months in the White House" with "roughly twice as much" Obama coverage about his "personal or leadership qualities" than was the case for either previous president.

Back in the US, NBC's Brian Williams' two-part "Living Large With the Top Dog" feature on Mr. Obama's life included a plug for Conan O'Brien's new show and mention of cable talkies where Mr. Obama only cited MSNBC personalities. Accident? I don't think so. There were a few probing moments in there, but they were overshadowed by the flash of hanging out in the back of the Auto One limo and having burgers. A little navel-gazing among journalism standards hall monitors about whether the thing had been too soft came and went.

Then, this Sunday in the NYTimes, there was full-on chick-flick swooning over Barack and Michelle Obama's heavily scented "date night" in NY City and its high bar standard effect on our relationship culture, with just a hint of controversy over the taxpayer costs to add some spice. I swear I've seen this movie, only Michael Douglas was the President. Or Harrison Ford. Or one of those cool and languid characters you'd want to like you. George Bush needed to be beer-bar likable to get elected. His successor has managed to get a lot of people to want to be liked by him.

And in Paris, Mr. Obama talked about how he'd love to take his wife for a romantic tour of the City of Lovers, but couldn't. Then he did. I'm guessing some regular-Joe freedom fries weren't on the menu.

This guy is good. Really good. And, frankly, so far, we're not.
You can read the rest of the article here:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/bronstein/detail?entry_id=41380

Doc Fluty
06-09-2009, 02:08 PM
let 2-3 more months of jobs losses keep up.. the love affair will end around september

redsox12
06-09-2009, 02:21 PM
That's only because you can't handle the truth (and I think you know which truth I speak of).

THE truth

http://www.mrc.org/public/default.aspx

jrice9
06-09-2009, 02:38 PM
THE truth

I was looking at that site for like 5 minutes. Arent you embarassed to be ascosiated with some of those articles. You posted something that was obviously biased and filled with mistruths.

SmthBluCitrus
06-09-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm also trying to figure out what it has to do with anything.

One guy makes a comment about Obama and somehow that's proof that all of the media is in bed with the administration and liberals.

redsox12
06-09-2009, 03:33 PM
I was looking at that site for like 5 minutes. Arent you embarassed to be ascosiated with some of those articles. You posted something that was obviously biased and filled with mistruths.

so is Media matters, they just play for the other team, does that mean every thing they say is true?

The point is conservatives like http://www.mrc.org/public/default.aspx

liberals like www.mediamatters.org

Both these websites are nothing but partisan watchdog groups they do nothing but criticize the other side.

Rylinkus
06-09-2009, 03:42 PM
let 2-3 more months of jobs losses keep up.. the love affair will end around september

As with any recession jobs are the absolute last place where recovery will be seen.

PHX-SOXFAN
06-09-2009, 03:43 PM
THE truth

when I think of military personel whose opinion should be taken very seriously, I don't think of felons who illegally sold weapons to Iran. yep that Iran that foxnews is ripping GE for. I also don't take opinions seriously from military personel involved in drug trafficking to fund contra rebels. I further more dismiss any statement from a man who acknowledged shredding documents pertaining to his illegal activities once they became public.

just saying, I don't know why this man's opinion is valued at all. he's a criminal and should have no credibility.

redsox12
06-09-2009, 03:48 PM
when I think of military personel whose opinion should be taken very seriously, I don't think of felons who illegally sold weapons to Iran. yep that Iran that foxnews is ripping GE for. I also don't take opinions seriously from military personel involved in drug trafficking to fund contra rebels.

just saying, I don't know why this man's opinion is valued at all. he's a criminal and should have no credibility.

for every conservative who has had legal troubles, you could find a liberal who has had problems too, the point is both are partisan websites.

PHX-SOXFAN
06-09-2009, 03:55 PM
for every conservative who has had legal troubles, you could find a liberal who has had problems too, the point is both are partisan websites.

sure, but when making an argument, I don't support my case with felons and crooks. do you often quote Nixon or Tom Delay to make your case?

I'm just saying, I'd stick to respectable military personel or other "experts" who don't have a history of discrediting themselves. In other words, don't be Sean Hannity and bring this guy on for his opinion like he's the end all opinion on military issues.

redsox12
06-09-2009, 03:59 PM
sure, but when making an argument, I don't support my case with felons and crooks. do you often quote Nixon or Tom Delay to make your case?

I'm just saying, I'd stick to respectable military personel or other "experts" who don't have a history of discrediting themselves. In other words, don't be Sean Hannity and bring this guy on for his opinion like he's the end all opinion on military issues.

I'm not the debate is which of these websites is more accurate, a site for conservatives or liberals. What is your case, that liberals always tell the truth.

PHX-SOXFAN
06-09-2009, 04:07 PM
I'm not the debate is which of these websites is more accurate, a site for conservatives or liberals. What is your case, that liberals always tell the truth.

my point is when you want to make a case for/against something, don't quote criminals with no credibility. It defeats the purpose of what you are saying. do you see hitler quoted often to defend a position? have we sought out scooter libby's opinion lately? is sarah palin viewed as an expert on anything? just saying, use credible people to defend a position.

redsox12
06-09-2009, 04:10 PM
my point is when you want to make a case for/against something, don't quote criminals with no credibility. It defeats the purpose of what you are saying. do you see hitler quoted often to defend a position? have we sought out scooter libby's opinion lately? is sarah palin viewed as an expert on anything? just saying, use credible people to defend a position.

I know your using this to pot-shot conservatives but you missing the point, this is not about Palin or ted kennedy or oliver north, this is about liberal or conservative bias.

SmthBluCitrus
06-09-2009, 04:25 PM
It's really less about left-right ideology/bias and more about credibility. Bias exists in most things -- but, I'm more likely to go to The Hill or RCP for credible information than I am Red State. Same holds true on the left -- I'm probably going to visit HuffPo or TPM over First Draft.

When you have guys like Sean Hannity that explicitly claim that Obama stated that the United States was now a Muslim nation (when he clearly didn't say anything remotely close to that), there's obviously a credibility issue. It's not to say that everything Sean Hannity says is false, it's just that everything he says has to be backed up. The same holds true for Oliver North. There are better sources of "opinion" who base their philosophy on sound evidence.

That's not to say that those issues don't exist on the left, because they do. But, for every Keith Olbermann spouting fiery rhetoric, there's a John Marshall or Ezra Klein who, while liberal/progressive/whatever term you choose, are probably going to have a bit more of an "educated" opinion on the subject matter.

degnor
06-11-2009, 09:08 AM
Of course, people have treated him like he was a DemiGod since he was first Nominated.

SmthBluCitrus
06-11-2009, 09:22 AM
No, conservatives have treated Obama supporters as though they're naive and believe he is a god. One Newsweek associate editor doesn't classify the rest of us.

Clinton supporters got the same treatment. It's always the same with any Democratic nominee for President (or Democratic POTUS themselves). "They're going to fix all your problems" ... blah blah blah

jrice9
06-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Well to adress why obama is treated like a "God" its because hes the most charismatic presidental candiate/ now a president since kennedy. People follow people who are charismatic whether they are good or evil (ex: Mohammed, Jesus Christ, Lenin, Hitler, Washington, Lincoln, Roosevelt, Kennedy)

and yes I included all sorts of people there but you have to admit each one was charismatic and people followed them.

Brewersin08
06-13-2009, 11:51 PM
Well to adress why obama is treated like a "God" its because hes the most charismatic presidental candiate/ now a president since kennedy. People follow people who are charismatic whether they are good or evil (ex: Mohammed, Jesus Christ, Lenin, Hitler, Washington, Lincoln, Roosevelt, Kennedy)

and yes I included all sorts of people there but you have to admit each one was charismatic and people followed them.

Since Reagan actually. Are we really surprised some douchebag on MSNBC is calling B-Rock god? I'm pretty sure that was kind of a redundant comment coming from someone on MSNBC. I actually don't think Obama's that charismatic, he's actually rather boring to listen to. Especially when he just keeps repeating himself over and over about how he's inherited the "greatest economic collapse since the great depression." We already now this. Stop talking down to the people and actually come up with a solution that isn't going to cripple us economically for the next century.

jrice9
06-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Since Reagan actually. Are we really surprised some douchebag on MSNBC is calling B-Rock god? I'm pretty sure that was kind of a redundant comment coming from someone on MSNBC. I actually don't think Obama's that charismatic, he's actually rather boring to listen to. Especially when he just keeps repeating himself over and over about how he's inherited the "greatest economic collapse since the great depression." We already now this. Stop talking down to the people and actually come up with a solution that isn't going to cripple us economically for the next century.
I didnt find Reagan that good though I only watched him on tapes from his time. I guess you have to live it. I referenced FDR and Kennedy cuz both sides achnowledge them as great leaders and speakers

GGGGG-Men
06-14-2009, 02:30 PM

Well, welcome to the club of rational thinkers!! Good to have a new member....regardless of the sarcastic reasons.