PDA

View Full Version : Ballmer Says Tax Would Move Microsoft Jobs Offshore

Doc Fluty
06-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Microsoft Corp. Chief Executive Officer Steven Ballmer said the world’s largest software company would move some employees offshore if Congress enacts President Barack Obama’s plans to impose higher taxes on U.S. companies’ foreign profits.

“It makes U.S. jobs more expensive,” Ballmer said in an interview. “We’re better off taking lots of people and moving them out of the U.S. as opposed to keeping them inside the U.S.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aAKluP7yIwJY

if you read the article it looks like microsoft is ducking taxes...

it sucks because they are ducking taxes, and if you go after the taxes they are ducking.. then they take the jobs offshore... ehhh..

behindmydesk
06-04-2009, 02:09 PM
I don't think this law will ever go threw anyway. What I do see gaining some steam, is Obama's promise to give tax rebates to those who have jobs on this soil.

SmthBluCitrus
06-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Yea, it's probably going to be incredibly difficult for them to get taxes from companies that really operate here and have their locations "off-shore."

Besides, it would have to get through congress first. And, I can't see it rallying enough votes in the Senate.

ari1013
06-04-2009, 10:55 PM
I don't think this law will ever go threw anyway. What I do see gaining some steam, is Obama's promise to give tax rebates to those who have jobs on this soil.
Right. It's easier to hand out carrots than to smack down with the stick when you're looking for quick results.