PDA

View Full Version : The official Ricky Rubio trade ideas thread

I Am Awesome-O
05-25-2009, 04:45 PM
I am probably not the only Grizz fan that is tired of other fans coming in and starting new threads that have trades in which their teams acquire Rubio. So, I just made a thread that all of these fans can put their ideas in.

I am not an advocate of trading Rubio whatsoever, but if he really isn't happy with playing with Memphis (I don't believe these reports, but for the sake of this thread, I will pretend that they are real) then we need to get the most talent we can out of the #2 pick.

So here's a trade that I think would help all teams involved:

Memphis gets: Michael Beasley, Jose Calderon

Toronto gets: Ricky Rubio, Udonis Haslem, Daequan Cook, Darko Milicic, Greg Buckner

Miami gets: Chris Bosh (extended), Lakers 2009 1st round pick, Nathan Jawai

Memphis gets its PF of the future in Beasley and a PG that would fit extremely well next to Mayo and Gay in Calderon. Memphis could either keep Calderon or trade him, but he is still a valuable asset.

Toronto gets their PG of the future in Rubio, a very solid starting PF in Haslem, a great shooter in Cook, and two expiring contracts in Darko and Buckner. This deal will put them into full-blown rebuilding mode, and they get a great package to start their rebuilding with. Calderon becomes expendable with the acquisition of Rubio.

Miami gets a superstar big man in Bosh and immediately become championship contenders while making Wade happy for 2010. Wade and Bosh is an awesome 1-2, big-small punch that will take them really far. They also get a late 1st round pick and Nathan Jawai, both decent assets.

Of course, different variations of this deal could easily be made, but the centerpieces are Rubio, Beasley, and Bosh.

What deals for Rubio do you guys have in mind?

Swish-a-licious
05-25-2009, 08:43 PM

Toronto gets: Ricky Rubio, Udonis Haslem, Daequan Cook, Darko Milicic, Greg Buckner

[U]

I love this trade from the grizzlies POV! Our team would be much upgraded over last year, and we would get another good piece for either Conley or Calderon, depending on who we want to keep.

Im not sure Toronto is willing to admit that what they have isn't going to work, so I would say them giving up their two best players is unlikely. If they got that package and another draft pick or two I think they would consider it. If they are sure Bosh is going to leave, then I say they would do it.

Good trade all the way around i would say, and it would keep in line with the three year plan for us.

TheGreatDane17
05-25-2009, 08:54 PM
I think you guys could get a lot of value for Rudy Gay. Sign Hedo Turkoglu to start at the 3, Gay becomes trade bait. You could work a trade for Ronny Turiaf & Golden State's 1st round pick. With the 1st round pick(After Rubio at 2), go after someone who will man the 3 after Turkoglu is gone, Earl Clark from Louisville? With your Orlando pick, hope Terrence Williams drops to backup Mayo.

Deezy Dee 24
05-25-2009, 10:40 PM

Memphis gets its PF of the future in Beasley and a PG that would fit extremely well next to Mayo and Gay in Calderon. Memphis could either keep Calderon or trade him, but he is still a valuable asset.

Toronto gets their PG of the future in Rubio, a very solid starting PF in Haslem, a great shooter in Cook, and two expiring contracts in Darko and Buckner. This deal will put them into full-blown rebuilding mode, and they get a great package to start their rebuilding with. Calderon becomes expendable with the acquisition of Rubio.

Miami gets a superstar big man in Bosh and immediately become championship contenders while making Wade happy for 2010. Wade and Bosh is an awesome 1-2, big-small punch that will take them really far. They also get a late 1st round pick and Nathan Jawai, both decent assets.

Of course, different variations of this deal could easily be made, but the centerpieces are Rubio, Beasley, and Bosh.

i agree but what about mike conley?
if we get calderon, and we didnt trade conley
should we trade conley or calderon?

AI4MVP
05-26-2009, 04:44 PM
Suns get:
Rubio
Warrick

Grizz get:
Amare Stoudemire

??

TheGreatDane17
05-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Suns get:
Rubio
Warrick

Grizz get:
Amare Stoudemire

??

Instead of having to trade Rubio?... Send them Rudy Gay & Local boy Jerryd Bayless,(From Portland, for Conley), Portland's 3 million dollar trade exception + draft picks for Amare(Or Pau Gasol)? Then sign Hedo Turkoglu to play the 3, draft Omri Casspi(Israel) & Victor Claver(Spain). Both will compete to eventually take over at the 3 for Turkeyglu & they could learn a lot from him.

Chisox@22
05-26-2009, 07:54 PM
it would likely take rubio and gay and warrick to get Amare, Phoenix overvalues him, which is STUPID seeing how he's a Free Agent after this Season

countrycasanova
05-26-2009, 07:59 PM
I think you guys could get a lot of value for Rudy Gay. Sign Hedo Turkoglu to start at the 3, Gay becomes trade bait. You could work a trade for Ronny Turiaf & Golden State's 1st round pick. With the 1st round pick(After Rubio at 2), go after someone who will man the 3 after Turkoglu is gone, Earl Clark from Louisville? With your Orlando pick, hope Terrence Williams drops to backup Mayo.

Seriously my man! WASUP WIT U N RONNY TURIAF!? :confused: :)

TheGreatDane17
05-26-2009, 08:56 PM
it would likely take rubio and gay and warrick to get Amare, Phoenix overvalues him, which is STUPID seeing how he's a Free Agent after this Season

That is pretty stupid. If that is what they want, Wallace should tell em to suck it.

Seriously my man! WASUP WIT U N RONNY TURIAF!?

He is one of the best low post defenders in the NBA, something you desperately need. Either him, or the Birdman would be a good fit next to Marc Gasol.

Trade Idea:

Memphis Gets: Rudy Fernandez(Moves so well off the ball & is an excellent 3 pt shooter. Experience playing with Rubio & Gasol. Finishes alley oops, even if the pass is bad), Travis Outlaw(Spark Plug, got votes for 6th man of the year)

Portland Gets: Mike Conley Jr, Orlando 1st Round pick(Trade up & draft Terrence Williams from Louisville)

Chisox@22
05-26-2009, 09:51 PM
Jaric, Milicic, #2 to NY
for
David Lee, Chris Duhon, and #8

Grizz Get the PF they need, Depth,( Evans or Curry with #8 ) and Even More Capspace
NY gets The Point Guard they Covet and Need, and another Point Guard, and a temporary Replacement for Lee

TheGreatDane17
05-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Jaric, Milicic, #2 to NY
for
David Lee, Chris Duhon, and #8

Grizz Get the PF they need, Depth,( Evans or Curry with #8 ) and Even More Capspace
NY gets The Point Guard they Covet and Need, and another Point Guard, and a temporary Replacement for Lee

I am just looking out for my second favorite team in the NBA. David Lee. I would not want him in Portland, not even backing up Aldridge. He is a very poor low post defender & is average with his post offense, with most his points coming from all the missed shots in D'antoni's SSOL offense. He is a good rebounder, but his numbers are inflated because of the system he plays in.

I would much rather have The Birdman ! Either as the starter at PF here in Memphis or backing up L-Train in Portland. Please, you do not want to ruin your francise, while helping NY rebuild theirs. After Griffin/Rubio, this draft is very very weak.

Jimmies8
05-27-2009, 12:22 PM
How about a 3 team trade with Phoenix and Minnesota?

Memphis trades: Rubio, Rudy Gay, Donte Green, and Darko
Memphis Gets: Amare, Foye and JRich

Phoenix Trades: Amare, Barbosa, and Jrich
Phoeinx Gets: Donte Green, Kevin Love, Rudy Gay and the #6 pick

Minnesota Trades: #6 pick, Randy Foye, Kevin Love
Minnesota Gets: Rubio, Barbosa, and Darko

This would give Memphis an amazing 1-2 punch with Amare and Mayo. This offense would flourish with amare next to gasol. Foye would give Memphis that spark off the bench sort of like Ben Gordon would do in Chicago and JRich could also be a spark off the bench.

Phoenix would get a PF in Love that would be an eventual replacement for Amare, they'd get the #6 pick to take a player they like and maybe even be able to package #6 and 14 to move up and take Blake Griffin #1, getting Rudy Gay would also be attractive because he may take off with a point guard like Steve Nash next to him.

Minnesota would get the point guard they've been waiting for in Rubio and Barbosa could be a great energy guy off the bench who could start if the Wolves try to move Miller and Darko would be a temporary option at center and who knows, if the wolves kept Mchale as coach maybe he could work some magic with Darko and turn him into a decent player.

What do you guys think?

Big Quett
05-27-2009, 01:04 PM
How about a 3 team trade with Phoenix and Minnesota?

Memphis trades: Rubio, Rudy Gay, Donte Green, and Darko
Memphis Gets: Amare, Foye and JRich

Phoenix Trades: Amare, Barbosa, and Jrich
Phoeinx Gets: Donte Green, Kevin Love, Rudy Gay and the #6 pick

Minnesota Trades: #6 pick, Randy Foye, Kevin Love
Minnesota Gets: Rubio, Barbosa, and Darko

This would give Memphis an amazing 1-2 punch with Amare and Mayo. This offense would flourish with amare next to gasol. Foye would give Memphis that spark off the bench sort of like Ben Gordon would do in Chicago and JRich could also be a spark off the bench.

Phoenix would get a PF in Love that would be an eventual replacement for Amare, they'd get the #6 pick to take a player they like and maybe even be able to package #6 and 14 to move up and take Blake Griffin #1, getting Rudy Gay would also be attractive because he may take off with a point guard like Steve Nash next to him.

Minnesota would get the point guard they've been waiting for in Rubio and Barbosa could be a great energy guy off the bench who could start if the Wolves try to move Miller and Darko would be a temporary option at center and who knows, if the wolves kept Mchale as coach maybe he could work some magic with Darko and turn him into a decent player.

What do you guys think?

Dude what are you talking about Donte Green doesn't play for the grizz
And im just guessing but u must be a Suns fan because this trade is only good for them

AI4MVP
05-27-2009, 05:07 PM
^^bro what are u talking about? memphis clearly gets the best of thi dealno questions asked.

amare, j rich, and have u seen foye play?? his not a throw in. the guy puts up 30 point games.

u get a potential all nba 1st teamer in amare stoudemre

and a guy that has avergaed and can STILL average 20 ppg in jrich

Big Quett
05-27-2009, 06:23 PM
^^bro what are u talking about? memphis clearly gets the best of thi dealno questions asked.

amare, j rich, and have u seen foye play?? his not a throw in. the guy puts up 30 point games.

u get a potential all nba 1st teamer in amare stoudemre

and a guy that has avergaed and can STILL average 20 ppg in jrich

And while i like Foye. Amare and J Rich are overrated. Amare plays no defense and pouts when he doesnt get the ball. He complained in Phoenix when he was leading them in points and shots taken. He said he wasnt getting enough touches.

And what did J Rich and Amare accomplish last year when they were playing with a better pg than we have and a better center than we have? There were an average team. G state and Charlotte got better when they traded J Rich. He is all stats and that's it. He is not an upgrade over Rudy imo. Atleast Rudy still has time to grow. Jason is what he is at this point.

And unless Amare signs an extension before the trade it would be pointless because he would just leave next summer and then what?

The team would look good on paper but we would be in the same position that teams like the Suns and Mavs are in now and that is good enough to make the playoffs but nothing else. An really no way to improve

And why on earth would Minny do this trade?

Jimmies8
05-27-2009, 09:42 PM
my bad guys, just giving some ideas, thought id throw it out there

TheGreatDane17
05-28-2009, 01:19 AM
have u seen foye play?? his not a throw in. the guy puts up 30 point games.

Yea, he can put up 30. He also has many more games with poor defense & poor efficiency.

Jamal Crawford can also put up 30.

GDG
06-03-2009, 01:05 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ian_thomsen/05/28/weekly.countdown/1.html

A rumour about Rubio and Jaric('s contract) to Philly for Speights and our #17.
Speights is raw, but extremely talented, but still.. What do you guys think?
As a sixersfan I'd do it in a heartbeat, although I love Speights.

trevhipp7
06-03-2009, 09:18 PM
How bout:

Griz get: Jordan Hill(6), Corey Brewer, 18th pick
Wolvees get: Rubio(2)

trevhipp7
06-03-2009, 09:21 PM
Brewer could be a great player still, you get a great young post player in Hill, and with 18you could fill another hole maybe another post player, a good defender like Varnado or what ever his name is...

Big Quett
06-03-2009, 10:54 PM
How bout:

Griz get: Jordan Hill(6), Corey Brewer, 18th pick
Wolvees get: Rubio(2)

Brewer is garbage and you guys know it.

If its not Kevin Love its no deal.

mzgrizz
06-03-2009, 11:19 PM
You go, Quett

trevhipp7
06-04-2009, 10:31 PM
What if Craig Smith got added?

Big Quett
06-04-2009, 11:32 PM
What if Craig Smith got added?

Ok so you replace a below average player with an average player? ummmmmmm NO!!!!!!!

Craig Smith wouldn't make if off the bench in Memphis.

joechoe
06-05-2009, 12:20 AM
It's really hard for Memphis right now because the only way you guys are going to get equal value for your pick is if it's certain that you will pick Rubio regardless of if he will come or not.

There aren't really any teams with the assets needed to get Rubio from you guys and #3-5 may not let you trade down to them because of the fact that rubio might fall to them if you waver and pick someone else.

You guys should possibly try ripping away Sacramento's #4 and #23 as well as a future first rounder. Maybe shed a bad contract while you're at it.

GDG
06-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Rumors all over the internet:
76ers get #2 pick, jaric('s contract + his wife in the stands)
Grizzlies get Speights, #17 pick and future first rounder

Seems less appealing for you guys then most deals proposed here, but this isn't just one crazy guy's suggestion. I've read it in articles from different sportwriters, so...

What do you guys think? Speights is a beast in the making and would fill a need.

tcman2007
06-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Brewer is garbage and you guys know it.

If its not Kevin Love its no deal.

Eh? Brewer is garbage? He's an asset. He is great defensively and YOU know it.

Hey, I offered up K-Love but you weren't having it. You wanted the # 6 AND Kevin Love. LOL!

Big Quett
06-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Eh? Brewer is garbage? He's an asset. He is great defensively and YOU know it.

Hey, I offered up K-Love but you weren't having it. You wanted the # 6 AND Kevin Love. LOL!

I repeat BREWER IS GARBAGE and you know it. Hell even Brewer knows it. He was great defensively IN COLLEGE. He hasnt shown anything in the league. What has he done? If he was that great you wouldnt be willing to give him up so quick.

Chisox@22
06-05-2009, 02:26 PM
I like these scenarios, which one is your favorite

grizz get jason thompson and #4 for #2
grizz get david lee , #8, nate robinson for #2 and darko
grizz get #1(griffin) and al thornton for rudy gay, #2
grizz get kevin love and #6 and brewer for #2 only
grizz get andrew bynum and trevor ariza for darko, and #2

I Am Awesome-O
06-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Rumors all over the internet:
76ers get #2 pick, jaric('s contract + his wife in the stands)
Grizzlies get Speights, #17 pick and future first rounder

Seems less appealing for you guys then most deals proposed here, but this isn't just one crazy guy's suggestion. I've read it in articles from different sportwriters, so...

What do you guys think? Speights is a beast in the making and would fill a need.

The only place I saw that proposal was on SI.com, and the writer was just throwing out a scenario. If you have any other sites calling it a legit trade rumor, give the link.

I Am Awesome-O
06-05-2009, 07:02 PM

grizz get jason thompson and #4 for #2
grizz get david lee , #8, nate robinson for #2 and darko
grizz get #1(griffin) and al thornton for rudy gay, #2
grizz get kevin love and #6 and brewer for #2 only
grizz get andrew bynum and trevor ariza for darko, and #2

1) Meh
2) Hate it
3) Love it
4) Not gonna happen
5) Don't like it

Big Quett
06-05-2009, 08:25 PM

1.) grizz get jason thompson and #4 for #2
2.) grizz get david lee , #8, nate robinson for #2 and darko
3.) grizz get #1(griffin) and al thornton for rudy gay, #2
4.) grizz get kevin love and #6 and brewer for #2 only
5.) grizz get andrew bynum and trevor ariza for darko, and #2

1. I think i like this one the best. We would have a chance to get 2 impact players for 1.....Say Tyreke or Harden
2. Luke warm on the idea dnt hate it but dnt love it
3. Not really sure. I love Blake but it might be alot to give up
4. Probably by 2nd favorite proposal. Not really likely though
5. Don't really even think this is even a possibility. Bynum is overrated and overpaid. And plus Ariza is a free agent

Chisox@22
06-06-2009, 11:40 AM
keeping in mind that these are scenarious that i have heard brought up on the radio or other forums...etc...just trying to see what people are thinking in memphis..

ariza could be a sign and trade type deal, i do realize he is a free agent
just dont think it would hurt to have a few members of the " soon to be nba champs " on our team, and they would have more room to " blossom " in Memphis because they arent having to play second fiddle to anyone as in LA ? who knows

drob33
06-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Ariza would still be coming off the bench behind Gay, and making more money than Rudy, so that would cause some problems. He doesn't start there, won't start here, but would only be a defensive upgrade, and still be the "second fiddle."

TheGreatDane17
06-06-2009, 02:10 PM
I bet Rubio stays in Memphis IF & ONLY IF... You make a trade for Rudy Fernandez & keep Marc Gasol. Pritchard will want Conley+

Chisox@22
06-06-2009, 07:34 PM
There is no mystery that portland wants conley
but what do the grizz get back in return,
keeping in mind that mike conley jr was a 4th overall lottery pick and showed signs of being a solid pt guard towards the latter part or second half of the season after hollins released him from prison.

Grizz need more capspace and draft picks....

Id propose sending back jaric, with conley
and getting back your backup point guard along with a few draft picks

TheGreatDane17
06-07-2009, 02:27 PM
There is no mystery that portland wants conley
but what do the grizz get back in return,
keeping in mind that mike conley jr was a 4th overall lottery pick and showed signs of being a solid pt guard towards the latter part or second half of the season after hollins released him from prison.

That is a lot more realistic description of Conley so far, then your previous attempts. Nice job. Regarding Conley, I just hope McMillan can get over his affinity for a 6'5" PG. Bayless is also highly coveted by Kevin Pritchard. I hope the deal gets done, the biggest benefit would be Oden developing quicker & being noticeably happier in a city so far away from his home. Conley, Bayless & Oden were working out together in Columbus, maybe a sign of things to come?

I would not mind absorbing the Jaric contract, but he would not play any minutes here. Also remember, Blake & Outlaw's contract are nonguaranteed, that means if you traded for them, if you choose to; You could let them go & get their salary's off the caps. I honestly think Rudy(Fernandez, not sure what he would cost Memphis) going to Memphis, along with Gasol currently being there would be a welcome sight for Rubio, possibly encouraging him to stay with the team that will draft him. I just hope for your sake that Rubio's sueing of Badalona goes through & he doesn't have to pay that horrific buyout.

Chisox@22
06-07-2009, 04:00 PM
so assuming we trade for those two guys, are you suggesting that the grizzlies simply do the deal just for capspace packaging Conley and Jaric? I realize mike conley is a good point guard and his max potential would be "pretty good "at best... I think if the grizz would do it if they were planning on spending for a Carlos Boozer or something, but now days, no one wants to go to a small market team and play. The only way we can get anyone here is to trade for them and force em to play here...which is kinda crappy, but at least you understand the desparation to try to make viable trades ...that somewhat make sense for both sides.....The more i hear about the rubio thing, im almost turned off by him and would welcome a trade to Sacramento or New York, or maybe even Minnesota for their pick and their PF.....Love and the 6, Lee and the 8, or JT and the 4........... surely out of those 3, someone would be willing to do a deal with us...and those 3 guys wouldnt mind coming to memphis

TheGreatDane17
06-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Just a pure observation on my end; You don't want no part of David "No Defense" Lee(His numbers are really inflated from playing in D'Antoni's offense or Jason Thompson - A few quotes about him

Attrocious Defense, Settles for bad shots, Basketball IQ - Draft Express Weaknesses

Defense. It's a problem. That doesn't make Thompson different than most rookies, and won't make him different from a lot of players of any experience level, but it does make him a reserve. Mikki Moore is still better defensively, by a considerable gap
Sacbee

Worse then Mikki Moore? You got serious problems.

he just didn't have a clear grasp of the defense around the basket.
Sacbee

If I am Chris Wallace, sign a cheaper, better defending Chris Anderson. No problems with the small market & he can catch lobs from Rubio all day. He doesn't need a big number of shot attempts to have a positive impact on the game. A good thing for a team with a lot of dominant ball handlers.

His 5.68 blocks per 48 minutes played is the best in the NBA.

Also, sign Turkoglu, for the love of god & trade Rudy Gay for that PF you want. Trade with LA, bring back Pau or something.

bball1217
06-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Suns get:
2nd overall pick
Huge cap space
Darrell Arthur (1,050,480)
Adam Morrison (5,257,228 expiring)

Grizzlies get:
Andrew Bynum (12,526,998)
L. Barbosa (6,600,000)

Lakers get:
Amare Stoudemire (16,378,325)

Grizzlies lineup:
Conley
Mayo
Gay
FA (about 6 million to work with)
Bynum

Could trade away or buyout Milic's contract and have about 12 million in cap space to get someone like David Lee or Paul Millsap.

Reasons:
1. Get big time center, center of the future.
2. Keep good cap space (probably were unlikely to get Boozer anyway)
3. Amazing potential

What do you guys think?

AI4MVP
06-08-2009, 04:59 PM
^^wow i was just coming in here to suggest a trade that involved some of those players.

first of all, id love ur idea because the suns are my favorite team and ricky rubio is my favorite player, so id do anything to get him in a suns uni

second of all, the deal i was thinking of is this:

well ricky rubio recently said if he cud choose any team to go to, it would be the lakers, so why not do this:

Lakers get:

2nd Overall(Ricky Rubio)
Darko Milicic

Grizzlies get:
Andrew Bynum
Adam Marrison

thoughts?

bball1217
06-08-2009, 05:14 PM
^^^
Interesting, but would the Lakers take a 18 year old PG that has not really proved anything yet?

I don't know, maybe.

Still a good trade for both teams if Rubio lives up to his hype.

Like the idea.

AI4MVP
06-08-2009, 05:16 PM
^^i still like ur idea better!! because it gets rubio in a suns jersey

TheGreatDane17
06-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Rudy Gay, Hamed Haddadi(Tehrangeles), Milicic for Pau Gasol.

Sign the Birdman

Sign Turkoglu

Draft Rubio & Victor Claver.

Rubio
Mayo
Turkoglu
Gasol/Birdman
Gasol/Birdman

I Am Awesome-O
06-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Rudy Gay, Hamed Haddadi(Tehrangeles), Milicic for Pau Gasol.

Sign the Birdman

Sign Turkoglu

Draft Rubio & Victor Claver.

Rubio
Mayo
Turkoglu
Gasol/Birdman
Gasol/Birdman

This is a joke right? Pau is not coming back to Memphis, especially if they have to give up a lot more to get him back than they gave him away for, which they do in this proposal.

Chisox@22
06-08-2009, 10:42 PM
memphis would have gotten screwed twice by LA in two years time.. lol
badly too

does your trade proposal for Pau come with KY jelly........
and a Pillow to Bite On?

Chisox@22
06-08-2009, 10:46 PM
just pickin on you greatdane.. lol

i dont think pau wants to be here and vice versa..we began booing him before he left..........so...

If the grizz could hold onto Gasol and Mayo, and can draft Rubio..........I'd give up Conley and Gay for Aldridge.........funny thing is hes the main guy i'd like to have imo......but this is basically the same trade that Phoenix Requested for Amare Stoudamire........Less Hakim Warrick, and Portland Fans act as if im Ludacrous for proposing giving them the Point Guard they covet, and a 20 ppg SF in Rudy Gay, which they Need........... I mean we meet two of the blazers needs with that deal...............and they act as if im crazy............just irks me.. lol newsflash LA IS GOOD BUT HE'S NOT AMARE

countrycasanova
06-09-2009, 02:50 PM
You guys can look this article up on ******.COM.

To me the Knicks have much more to offer than the rockets and celtics. Neither of these teams have a 1st rd pick, the rockets roster is full of journeymen/role players and the celtics only valuable piece is rondo (why would da griz do dat?); I don't think he can play power forward. Hope im not blinded because i'm a knick fan, but we have much more attractive pieces: sign-n-trades w/D-Lee & N8, expiring contracts, trade exemps, and the # 8 pick. :clap: :D:p lol

I Am Awesome-O
06-09-2009, 07:36 PM
You guys can look this article up on ******.COM.

To me the Knicks have much more to offer than the rockets and celtics. Neither of these teams have a 1st rd pick, the rockets roster is full of journeymen/role players and the celtics only valuable piece is rondo (why would da griz do dat?); I don't think he can play power forward. Hope im not blinded because i'm a knick fan, but we have much more attractive pieces: sign-n-trades w/D-Lee & N8, expiring contracts, trade exemps, and the # 8 pick. :clap: :D:p lol
I would rather have Rondo than anything else the Knicks can offer.

bkmikeyy
06-10-2009, 12:28 AM
I would rather have Rondo than anything else the Knicks can offer.

thats understandable, however theres no way celtics offer rondo for the pick. Meanwhile the knicks, in desperate need of a player that can one day be a star, would have a lot more to offer. An 8th pick in the draft and a choice of al harrington, nate robinson or david lee + mobleys money seems fair. I know a lot of people may not like al harrington, but you cannot argue with the numbers he puts up. The other teams really wanting the pick like the rockets and celtics cannot offer a decent pick and would not be willing to part with their core guys that almost lead them to the finals for an unproven rookie.

TheGreatDane17
06-10-2009, 12:46 AM
If the grizz could hold onto Gasol and Mayo, and can draft Rubio..........I'd give up Conley and Gay for Aldridge.........funny thing is hes the main guy i'd like to have imo......but this is basically the same trade that Phoenix Requested for Amare Stoudamire........

I don't want no part of Rudy Gay.

drob33
06-10-2009, 05:00 AM
I don't want no part of Rudy Gay.

That means you do want Conley...

countrycasanova
06-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Just for kicks, cause I doubt we would be considered a large market either. We have a talented undersized center, that would be a force at power forward for you guys...Al Horford. What do griz fans think would be a fair package that would include Horford (horford/19th pick or horford/marvin williams)? Gasol/Horford/Gay/Mayo/Conley...Don't see it happening but hey jus for kicks.

I Am Awesome-O
06-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Just for kicks, cause I doubt we would be considered a large market either. We have a talented undersized center, that would be a force at power forward for you guys...Al Horford. What do griz fans think would be a fair package that would include Horford (horford/19th pick or horford/marvin williams)? Gasol/Horford/Gay/Mayo/Conley...Don't see it happening but hey jus for kicks.

Actually, there have been some pretty lengthy discussions on the ****** and Grizzlies.com message boards about a #2/Horford swap.

The fairest deal for both sides that I have seen is Horford/#19 for #2/#27.

I would be ecstatic to acquire Horford for the #2, no doubt about it. I can only hope that a deal like that is discussed around draft day, because it really does help both teams out in a big way.

Corey
06-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Rudy Gay
Marko Jaric

-For-

Rondo
Scal (expiring)
Tony Allen (expiring)
JR Giddens (possible expiring)
2nd rounder

We eat Marko's contract, while you get a bunch of expirings+Rondo so you have your Center (Gasol) and PG (Rondo) to build your franchise around.

The C's get #2 (Rubio), and sign Miller or Kidd with the MLE to start at the point with Rubio backing up. In addition, they get another backup all-around type player in Jaric, and a backup wing in Gay, that will take over for Allen after this season.

TheGreatDane17
06-11-2009, 05:35 PM
That means you do want Conley...

Yes I do. If Memphis doesn't get offered Rondo... Then I would think they would be interested in someone who can offer them steady play at the point like Steve Blake, until Rubio comes over. Has experience playing next to a dominant ball handler in Brandon Roy(Positive for playing next to Mayo). Far more consistent then Conley. Rudy Fernandez/Marc Gasol gives Rubio incentive to play for Memphis.

Rudy Gay
Marko Jaric

-For-

Rondo
Scal (expiring)
Tony Allen (expiring)
2nd rounder

We eat Marko's contract, while you get a bunch of expirings+Rondo so you have your Center (Gasol) and PG (Rondo) to build your franchise around.

The C's get #2 (Rubio), and sign Miller or Kidd with the MLE to start at the point with Rubio backing up. In addition, they get another backup all-around type player in Jaric, and a backup wing in Gay, that will take over for Allen after this season.

Blazers take Conley off Memphis's hands for Blake(Unguaranteed), Outlaw(Unguaranteed) & 24th overall. (http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=nyfy3n)

I Am Awesome-O
06-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Rudy Gay
Marko Jaric

-For-

Rondo
Scal (expiring)
Tony Allen (expiring)
2nd rounder

1) That's a bad deal for Memphis. Gay + 2 could get Memphis a lot more than just Rondo.
2) Rondo would be a worse fit next to Mayo than Rubio.
3) Rudy Gay is not going to come off the bench for any team, no matter how good it is.

AI4MVP
06-12-2009, 12:11 AM
alot of people underrated rudy gay alot

I Am Awesome-O
06-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Here are the new summer transactions and the new 2009-2010 lineup that I came up with:

Trade #1:
Memphis gets: Michael Beasley, Leandro Barbosa

Miami gets: Amare Stoudemire/Chris Bosh (extended)

Phoenix/Toronto gets: #2 pick (Rubio), Mark Blount, Greg Buckner, Darko Milicic, Darrell Arthur, Lakers 2010 1st round pick, Miami's 2009 2nd round pick

Trade #2:
Memphis gets: Martell Webster, Travis Outlaw, #24 pick

Portland gets: Mike Conley

Draft:
Pick #24: BJ Mullens
Pick #27: DeJuan Blair
Pick #36: Patrick Mills

Free Agency:
1) Re-sign Hak
2) Sign Rodney Carney
3) Sign Keith Bogans

2009-2010 lineup:
Mayo/Mills/Jaric
Webster/Barbosa/Bogans
Gay/Outlaw/Carney
Beasley/Blair/Warrick
Gasol/Mullens/Haddadi

blackjack_119
06-13-2009, 05:46 AM
Draft:
Pick #24: BJ Mullens
Pick #27: DeJuan Blair
Pick #36: Patrick Mills

Both Mullens and Blair will be off the board at #24. Blair looks like he may go in the late lottery

Sports Illustrator
06-13-2009, 10:27 AM
Here are some scenarios with the Knicks.

1) Cuttino Mobley's contract & #8 pick for #2 pick & Marko Jaric.
2) David Lee & #8 pick for #2 pick & Marko Jaric.
3) David Lee, Nate Robinson & #8 pick for #2 pick, Darko Milicic & Marko Jaric.
4) Cuttino Mobley's contract & #8 pick for #2 pick & Darko Milicic.
5) David Lee & #8 pick for #2 pick & Darko Milicic.

Word on the street is that Donnie Walsh may try to acquire the pick to draft Hasheem Thabeet, though Knicks fans are hoping for Ricky Rubio.

Big Quett
06-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Trade #2:
Memphis gets: Martell Webster, Travis Outlaw, #24 pick

Portland gets: Mike Conley

I dont think we can trade Mike to Portland without bringing Rudy Fernandez back. Or at the least Nicolas Batum

I Am Awesome-O
06-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Here are some scenarios with the Knicks.

1) Cuttino Mobley's contract & #8 pick for #2 pick & Marko Jaric.
2) David Lee & #8 pick for #2 pick & Marko Jaric.
3) David Lee, Nate Robinson & #8 pick for #2 pick, Darko Milicic & Marko Jaric.
4) Cuttino Mobley's contract & #8 pick for #2 pick & Darko Milicic.
5) David Lee & #8 pick for #2 pick & Darko Milicic.

Word on the street is that Donnie Walsh may try to acquire the pick to draft Hasheem Thabeet, though Knicks fans are hoping for Ricky Rubio.

I just don't like anything the Knicks can offer at all. I would be completely against any trade with New York.

I Am Awesome-O
06-13-2009, 04:39 PM
I dont think we can trade Mike to Portland without bringing Rudy Fernandez back. Or at the least Nicolas Batum

I don't necessarily think that's true. We are getting a lot back in the deal I proposed.

I Am Awesome-O
06-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Both Mullens and Blair will be off the board at #24. Blair looks like he may go in the late lottery

You are probably right about Mullens, but you are completely off about Blair. He's been slipping hard ever since medical tests were run on him. His knees are a apparently a major, major concern. I heard he could slip all the way to the 2nd round. He obviously shouldn't slip past the mid 1st round, but teams get really anal about medical stuff. Look what happened to Darrell Arthur last year, and his medical problems weren't even true.

TheGreatDane17
06-13-2009, 04:51 PM

I would let Rudy go before Batum 100 out of 100 times but... I would only let him(Rudy) go if we could(3 team trade) also work out a way where Pietrus comes to Portland & we help out Orlando by giving them non guaranteed contracts, allowing them to sign Turkoglu.

blazerman
06-14-2009, 03:17 AM
I would let Rudy go before Batum 100 out of 100 times but... I would only let him(Rudy) go if we could(3 team trade) also work out a way where Pietrus comes to Portland & we help out Orlando by giving them non guaranteed contracts, allowing them to sign Turkoglu.

Hey Great Dane, Ive been reading all your trade ideas and everyone is terrible.
First off it would take more than Conley to get Rudy Fernandez and Blake, Outlaw and the 24th Pick is way to much for Conley(Outlaw and the 24th is fair or Blake and the 24th) but not 3, Conley has proved nothing, he would make Oden happy but dont get carried away on offering ridiculous offers for an underachiever.

Theres nothing wrong with wanting the best for both teams if you like them both but be reasonable and consider what our GM would do in an actual trade or proposal.

Pritchard's no fool and would never give that much and Rudy Fernandez may make less than Conley but Rudy would have been drafted much higher but the rest of the league didnt think they could bring him over so soon and thats why he wasnt a top 5 pick, not because of talent!

I bet you OKC would trade the 3 pick for Rudy Fernandez and the 24th pick if the Blazers offered it because they need a starting shooting guard and they know Rudy is the real deal and better than any SG in the draft, especially if they are looking at Harden. So it's feasible the Portland could get Rubio for Fernandez and the 24th pick instead of for Conley.
your just making the offer to the wrong team. Anyway it goes Memphis should upgrade substantially this offseason with all that cap space and the 2nd pick. I see them grabbing Thabeet anyway and maybe trying to get Milsap( Jazz probably match him but it's worth a shot for Memphis.

6deep
06-14-2009, 10:29 AM
Charlotte Gets : Jared Jeffries, #2 (memphis), #8 (ny), & #27 (memphis)

New York Gets: Darko , #12 (charlotte)

Memphis Gets: Okafor

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...tradeId=kuvvr7

I Am Awesome-O
06-14-2009, 03:36 PM
Charlotte Gets : Jared Jeffries, #2 (memphis), #8 (ny), & #27 (memphis)

New York Gets: Darko , #12 (charlotte)

Memphis Gets: Okafor

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...tradeId=kuvvr7

Sucks for New York and Memphis.

6deep
06-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Sucks for New York and Memphis.

what? (I guess you're hard for rubio)

--- new york gets rid of Jeffries 2010 contract ( a very difficult thing to do) & get darko (expiring shotblocker which they need) at the cost of simply sliding down 4 picks.

This is just in case Steph Curry or a player that Donnie Walsh & D'antoni want is not at #8. Ty Lawson is still there on most draft boards at 12 & that's who I'd get (IMO).

--- Memphis gives up Darko & #2 & #27 (in a weak draft) for Okafor.

Okafer & his proven career averages (5seasons--> 14pt, 11reb. 2 blocks) would be a major & immediate upgrade in the froncourt.

countrycasanova
06-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Aldridge to memphis for #2/?. Rubio would be lethal with the trailblazers. Aldridge is a talented power forward dat da griz need.Everyone gets what they need (put da miles situation aside n do business).

Blazers(c)oden/(pf)draft pick or free agent/(sf)outlaw/(sg)roy/(pg)rubio

Grizzilies(c)Gasol/(pf)aldridge/(sf)gay/(sg)mayo/(pg)conley

6deep
06-14-2009, 05:24 PM
Would this be simpler?

Charlotte gets Picks #2 & #27 Darko

Memphis gets Okafer & #12

I Am Awesome-O
06-14-2009, 05:38 PM
Would this be simpler?

Charlotte gets Picks #2 & #27 Darko

Memphis gets Okafer & #12

Okafor just doesn't fit in with what Memphis is trying to do.

mzgrizz
06-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Well I haven't seen any trade scenarios I'd do.......glad I'm not Wallace and trying to figure all this out.

Chisox@22
06-16-2009, 11:47 PM
i like the idea of getting David Lee, Nate, and #8 ( and Qrichs Bad Contract)

for Darko, #2, and Hack (s/t)

Conley -Nate/Late First Round Pick ( Collison or Maynor )
Mayo - Nate
Gay - Early Second Round Pick ( Dajuan Summers )
Lee - Arthur
Gasol - Hadaddi

NY Mainly gets Rubio and Caproom out of the Deal for 2010.. plus they dont have to pay Lee....

Chisox@22
06-16-2009, 11:48 PM
and they dont have to pay nate

Chisox@22
06-16-2009, 11:54 PM
i looove how Sacramento thinks they will get to draft Rubio, as if two teams after the clippers are gonna go ' oh ' ricky dont wanna play for us so guess we better not draft him..

you cant bully NBA gm's and Owners like that,
and We will Draft Ricky Rubio the ASSET if not Ricky Rubio the Player

It's Obvious he is drawing interest from Boston, Houston, Minnesota, Sacramento, etc..
and by draft night, will be many others wanting rubio
i say we draft him , find the best deal possible, and let them have his whiney little ***** along with a turd contract and make some much needed improvements for our team....and take our capspace and join the FA bonanza forthcoming in 2010

Chisox@22
06-16-2009, 11:54 PM
oops, left out the Knicks and Sixers

mzgrizz
06-17-2009, 12:06 AM
i looove how Sacramento thinks they will get to draft Rubio, as if two teams after the clippers are gonna go ' oh ' ricky dont wanna play for us so guess we better not draft him..

you cant bully NBA gm's and Owners like that,
and We will Draft Ricky Rubio the ASSET if not Ricky Rubio the Player

It's Obvious he is drawing interest from Boston, Houston, Minnesota, Sacramento, etc..
and by draft night, will be many others wanting rubio
i say we draft him , find the best deal possible, and let them have his whiney little ***** along with a turd contract and make some much needed improvements for our team....and take our capspace and join the FA bonanza forthcoming in 2010

Amen, Chisox! I watched the video and he's just a little kid. No wonder he kept asking for "young players".....Let's let the Big City boys trade their balls away for him........

bball1217
06-17-2009, 12:09 AM
With the recent Josh Smith rumors...

would you guys like this trade:
2nd overall pick and Darrell Arthur
for
Josh Smith

This gives you guys a young and athletic forward that can play 3/4 and can contribute very well on offense and defense. I think he would be a perfect fit...only problem is his apparent troubles off the court and with coaches.

This gives you guys a lineup of:
Conley
Mayo
Gay
Smith
Gasol

Also you still have near $10 million in cap space to sign a solid sixth man or something like that.

How about it?

subversive
06-17-2009, 12:10 AM
And with the No. 2 pick in the NBA draft, the Memphis Grizzlies choose .... Hasheem Thabeet.

mzgrizz
06-17-2009, 12:24 AM
And with the No. 2 pick in the NBA draft, the Memphis Grizzlies choose .... Hasheem Thabeet.

Is this an informed idea or make believe?

Chisox@22
06-17-2009, 02:47 PM
I am probably not the only Grizz fan that is tired of other fans coming in and starting new threads that have trades in which their teams acquire Rubio. So, I just made a thread that all of these fans can put their ideas in.

I am not an advocate of trading Rubio whatsoever, but if he really isn't happy with playing with Memphis (I don't believe these reports, but for the sake of this thread, I will pretend that they are real) then we need to get the most talent we can out of the #2 pick.

Where do we sign ( Grizzlies That Is ) LOL

Chisox@22
06-17-2009, 02:49 PM

and with that pick, the attendance drops to around a hundred per game
and with that pick, Chris Wallace is the Scapegoat and is fired
and with that pick, the Griz wave the towel and are in ruins

Chisox@22
06-17-2009, 02:51 PM
With the recent Josh Smith rumors...

would you guys like this trade:
2nd overall pick and Darrell Arthur
for
Josh Smith

This gives you guys a young and athletic forward that can play 3/4 and can contribute very well on offense and defense. I think he would be a perfect fit...only problem is his apparent troubles off the court and with coaches.

This gives you guys a lineup of:
Conley
Mayo
Gay
Smith
Gasol

Also you still have near $10 million in cap space to sign a solid sixth man or something like that.

How about it?

if you guys get him to waive the Trade Kicker,or either Smith or ATL splits it with us, then I'd do that deal in a Flash

Chisox@22
06-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Is this an informed idea or make believe?

im guessin its either one of 2 things.
either an attempt to give us all a laugh
or
the byproduct of taking LSD

Oefarmy2005
06-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Whether you guys like it or not, but that's who you are projected to take - Thabeet. He's not bad, but just not right for memphis - Gasol is more of a 5 than a 4. The Josh Smith trade would be excellent though, I think. He's exactly what you need at 4 - athletic, great scorer and a great defender.

countrycasanova
06-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Reports are coming out that the hawks probaly won't trade smith (who knows). Drafting thabeet is not a good fit for the griz...thabeet&gasol=camby&kaman; not gon work. I don't care what nobody says..the knicks offer the best package: N8 & LEE + MONEY. You get two young allstar caliber players and cap relief, for either a guy (thabeet) that does not fit with yall and a guy (rubio) that does not want to play for yall. When I put it like that, we might be giving up too much. Yall would be tough tho: gasol/lee/gay/mayo/conley 6th man: N8...How can you hate on that?

torontosports10
06-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Not one deal including the Raps would happen. ESPICALLY the first one. We trade Jose and Bosh for Rubio who has many questions surronding him and like 7 bench players. No thanks.

If were dealing Bosh we will be getting something of vale thats for sure.

I Am Awesome-O
06-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Not one deal including the Raps would happen. ESPICALLY the first one. We trade Jose and Bosh for Rubio who has many questions surronding him and like 7 bench players. No thanks.

If were dealing Bosh we will be getting something of vale thats for sure.

Yeah, that was a pretty bad proposal on my part.

Deezy Dee 24
06-19-2009, 09:14 PM
Reports are coming out that the hawks probaly won't trade smith (who knows). Drafting thabeet is not a good fit for the griz...thabeet&gasol=camby&kaman; not gon work. I don't care what nobody says..the knicks offer the best package: N8 & LEE + MONEY. You get two young allstar caliber players and cap relief, for either a guy (thabeet) that does not fit with yall and a guy (rubio) that does not want to play for yall. When I put it like that, we might be giving up too much. Yall would be tough tho: gasol/lee/gay/mayo/conley 6th man: N8...How can you hate on that?

yeah i agree. as i see it the knicks trade is the best for us at least.

Oefarmy2005
06-19-2009, 11:14 PM
I think that Love+18th+money is more than Lee+8th+money. But I am a Minnesota fan, so offcourse I am biased. I just think that Love who is better than lee after one season, but otherwise very simmilar, is something like 7 million cheaper. The 18th pick offcourse is a crapload lower than 8th, but to be honest in this draft - I don't know. There is nobody who strikes me as being that much better at 8th than 18th, it's essantially like comparing Flynn to Lawson. Flynn's got all the hype, but is he really any better than Lawson. I hope the Grizz. front office does what ever is best for the team. Me as a Minni fan, I think that I would rather have Flynn than Rubio - since Rubio is probably going to leave Minnesota just like he would leave Memphis. And if I was doing a trade with Memphis, I think I'd rather have Conley than Rubio also. I guess my sig says otherwise, but I have cooled off since than.

I Am Awesome-O
06-19-2009, 11:21 PM
I think that Love+18th+money is more than Lee+8th+money. But I am a Minnesota fan, so offcourse I am biased. I just think that Love who is better than lee after one season, but otherwise very simmilar, is something like 7 million cheaper. The 18th pick offcourse is a crapload lower than 8th, but to be honest in this draft - I don't know. There is nobody who strikes me as being that much better at 8th than 18th, it's essantially like comparing Flynn to Lawson. Flynn's got all the hype, but is he really any better than Lawson. I hope the Grizz. front office does what ever is best for the team. Me as a Minni fan, I think that I would rather have Flynn than Rubio - since Rubio is probably going to leave Minnesota just like he would leave Memphis. And if I was doing a trade with Memphis, I think I'd rather have Conley than Rubio also. I guess my sig says otherwise, but I have cooled off since than.

Love is better than Lee. Love is cheaper than Lee. Love has more upside than Lee. I would much rather do the Minny deal than the Knicks deal, but honestly, I would rather keep Rubio over both those deals.

drob33
06-20-2009, 03:14 AM
I think this will ultimately come down to value maximization for the Grizz. I don't believe that we will be seeing Rubio wearing a Grizz jersey, except for maybe a few minutes on draft night. IMO, the Minnesota trade offers the best value and fit for the franchise, contingent upon the 6th pick. I don't know if they'd be willing to give that up with Love, for Rubio, but that would allow us to do so many things to set up the roster.

With the 6, we could take some of the players we have been looking at that are a stretch at the second (Evans, maybe even Harden or Hill). Or we could use it to leverage some other teams. What if we took Stephan Curry? I think the media, fans, and maybe even the FO in NY have taken for granted the Curry will still be there at 8. What would they give up to get their golden boy Curry.

IMO, the most important thing is that we don't walk away from this draft with just one player (even if that player was Rubio and especially not Thabeet!) from our pick at #2. This team won less than 25 games the past three seasons, so no one player in this draft will significantly improve our performance next year. Love would definitely be a top five player in this draft, so if we could pair him with almost any other top 10 talent, that would surely be more beneficial than having to groom a young foreign PG, who may or may not even want to play on the team.

I Am Awesome-O
06-20-2009, 04:12 AM
I think this will ultimately come down to value maximization for the Grizz. I don't believe that we will be seeing Rubio wearing a Grizz jersey, except for maybe a few minutes on draft night. IMO, the Minnesota trade offers the best value and fit for the franchise, contingent upon the 6th pick. I don't know if they'd be willing to give that up with Love, for Rubio, but that would allow us to do so many things to set up the roster.

With the 6, we could take some of the players we have been looking at that are a stretch at the second (Evans, maybe even Harden or Hill). Or we could use it to leverage some other teams. What if we took Stephan Curry? I think the media, fans, and maybe even the FO in NY have taken for granted the Curry will still be there at 8. What would they give up to get their golden boy Curry.

IMO, the most important thing is that we don't walk away from this draft with just one player (even if that player was Rubio and especially not Thabeet!) from our pick at #2. This team won less than 25 games the past three seasons, so no one player in this draft will significantly improve our performance next year. Love would definitely be a top five player in this draft, so if we could pair him with almost any other top 10 talent, that would surely be more beneficial than having to groom a young foreign PG, who may or may not even want to play on the team.

Excellent post, drob.

While I think Love is very much available, I doubt we get him AND #6. But hey, I would sure as hell take just Love over Thabeet, Hill, or any other big man prospect in this draft, so if that's the best offer we can get for the #2, and we are set on not taking Rubio, then I would definately pull the trigger on Love for #2.

He's not a great fit next to Marc, but he's a much better prospect than anyone in this draft not named Blake Griffin or Ricky Rubio.

mzgrizz
06-20-2009, 03:55 PM
I prefer holding out for Rubio ...........period. Make him play if he wants the NBA.

I Am Awesome-O
06-20-2009, 04:20 PM
I prefer holding out for Rubio ...........period. Make him play if he wants the NBA.

I'm with you on that one (as you can see in my sig). I just hope management doesn't screw this pick, because they easily can.

countrycasanova
06-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Love is better than Lee. Love is cheaper than Lee. Love has more upside than Lee. I would much rather do the Minny deal than the Knicks deal, but honestly, I would rather keep Rubio over both those deals.
Please explain to me how love is better than lee :speechless:. Jus cause he is younger does not automatically give love more upside. Lee has made improvements every year he has been in the league. Lee is a better athlete, better rebounder, and tougher (played out of position all year). Lee would compliment gasol much better than love would. Minny would be crazy to give up love and their pick, but on the other hand the knicks can live with trading lee n N8 and possibly taking on jaric's contract.

drob33
06-20-2009, 10:13 PM
Love could be considered more valuable because he will be making about $3m this year and next year, while Lee will be making three times that. Also, Love has a far better rebounding rate (9.11/25mpg vs. 11.7/35mpg), so I am not sure Lee is the better rebounder. Another knock on Lee has been questioning his numbers in D'Antoni's SSOL offense.

drob33
06-20-2009, 10:20 PM

I am against this way of thinking for 3 reasons:

1) If we draft him, he still doesn't have to play. We would simply own his rights to be traded later. If he won't play for the team after the draft, that decreases his value, because teams know that we have to get rid of him.

2) Trying to force his hand in this matter would be a huge mistake. Angry players don't play well and generally hurt overall team continuity. IMO, playing hardball will only alienate him.

3) Value: this strategy offers us the least implied value because we could easily use the pick and walk away without a player logging minutes next year. That is inexcusable for a 24 win team with the #2 pick in the draft.

I Am Awesome-O
06-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Please explain to me how love is better than lee :speechless:. Jus cause he is younger does not automatically give love more upside. Lee has made improvements every year he has been in the league. Lee is a better athlete, better rebounder, and tougher (played out of position all year). Lee would compliment gasol much better than love would. Minny would be crazy to give up love and their pick, but on the other hand the knicks can live with trading lee n N8 and possibly taking on jaric's contract.

I stopped reading there.

I Am Awesome-O
06-20-2009, 10:51 PM
I am against this way of thinking for 3 reasons:

1) If we draft him, he still doesn't have to play. We would simply own his rights to be traded later. If he won't play for the team after the draft, that decreases his value, because teams know that we have to get rid of him.

2) Trying to force his hand in this matter would be a huge mistake. Angry players don't play well and generally hurt overall team continuity. IMO, playing hardball will only alienate him.

3) Value: this strategy offers us the least implied value because we could easily use the pick and walk away without a player logging minutes next year. That is inexcusable for a 24 win team with the #2 pick in the draft.

Actually, he pretty much does. Have you been following his lawsuit with his Spanish team? He basically destroyed that relationship. He will almost assuredly be in the NBA next year (unless he plays with another European team, which I highly doubt he or Fegan will accept that), so if it's with Memphis, he and his douche agent will just have to deal with it.

Nonetheless, I just don't see us keeping Rubio, for better or for worse (I think it's for worse).

tcman2007
06-20-2009, 10:53 PM

There's no chance you're getting the # 6 AND Love. David Kahn has made that perfectly clear. We're not that desperate to get a PG. If we can't get Rubio, we can draft one at # 6 (and keep Love). Several guards should be available at # 6: Evans, Curry, Flynn. Even if we want to take someone else (say Thabeet slips to # 6), we can use our # 18 to pick up a guy like Eric Maynor. There are a lot of other avenues we can take. So, in the end, it seems that either you guys take a trade with us, or you can hope you get a better deal. I just don't see you guys getting a player better than Kevin Love in a trade. If that trade exists, I suggest you take it.

I Am Awesome-O
06-20-2009, 10:56 PM
There's no chance you're getting the # 6 AND Love. David Kahn has made that perfectly clear. We're not that desperate to get a PG. If we can't get Rubio, we can draft one at # 6 (and keep Love). Several guards should be available at # 6: Evans, Curry, Flynn. Even if we want to take someone else (say Thabeet slips to # 6), we can use our # 18 to pick up a guy like Eric Maynor. There are a lot of other avenues we can take. So, in the end, it seems that either you guys take a trade with us, or you can hope you get a better deal. I just don't see you guys getting a player better than Kevin Love in a trade. If that trade exists, I suggest you take it.

I really don't mind the Love for #2 deal, but honestly, I think we will be getting better offers as draft day nears.

mzgrizz
06-20-2009, 11:18 PM
I think everyone is overestimating the 18 yr old brain here..........If Memphis chooses to draft him(and I hope they do.....whether or not we keep him or trade him) and he is ready to come to the NBA this year...he'll play. Sounds like he's burned his bridges over there, so the Memphis Gasols need to throw him a life line. He looked very naive on his interview at Sacramento, and remember he did not work out with them, but got a "sore throat" .....

countrycasanova
06-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Love could be considered more valuable because he will be making about $3m this year and next year, while Lee will be making three times that. Also, Love has a far better rebounding rate (9.11/25mpg vs. 11.7/35mpg), so I am not sure Lee is the better rebounder. Another knock on Lee has been questioning his numbers in D'Antoni's SSOL offense.

I stand by the fact Lee is a better rebounder. Lee was the knicks only big man; in whuch he played out of position. He didnt have a big man beside him to help block out, plus he had to battle bigger and taller players all year long (starters may I add). Love had jefferson, plus how many games did her start? Battling the 2nd wave for boards aint exactly the same as battling starting centers. You sign Lee and you going to have him locked up. Love could easily walk after his rookie contract is up (so da money shouldnt be a thang). :)

I Am Awesome-O
06-21-2009, 03:44 PM
I stand by the fact Lee is a better rebounder. Lee was the knicks only big man; in whuch he played out of position. He didnt have a big man beside him to help block out, plus he had to battle bigger and taller players all year long (starters may I add). Love had jefferson, plus how many games did her start? Battling the 2nd wave for boards aint exactly the same as battling starting centers. You sign Lee and you going to have him locked up. Love could easily walk after his rookie contract is up (so da money shouldnt be a thang). :)

No he couldn't. He would be an RFA, which means we would control his fate. If another team signed him, we would just match it.

Mauersota
06-21-2009, 04:58 PM

So many holes in this argument.

tcman2007
06-21-2009, 06:07 PM
I think everyone is overestimating the 18 yr old brain here..........If Memphis chooses to draft him(and I hope they do.....whether or not we keep him or trade him) and he is ready to come to the NBA this year...he'll play. Sounds like he's burned his bridges over there, so the Memphis Gasols need to throw him a life line. He looked very naive on his interview at Sacramento, and remember he did not work out with them, but got a "sore throat" .....

LOL...

You totally misrepresent what really happened...

Rubio didn't practice because he was running a 100+ fever. Why don't you go out and work out for a team when you're feeling like that? You make him sound like a big *****. If he only had a sore throat, why did he get treated by Sacramento's doctors?

Hey, it seems that Adrian Wojnarowski agrees with me:

"The Memphis Grizzlies are trying to talk tough, saying they’re unafraid to draft Ricky Rubio with the No. 2 pick in the NBA draft, but no one believes them."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AiuBXiopJ8bH.paVg8TBhhu8vLYF?slug=aw-draftnotes061909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

tcman2007
06-21-2009, 06:09 PM

Sure. He will probably cave. But what do you do when his contract is up in a few years? You can't hold a gun to his back and make him sign. Why waste a # 2 pick on a guy who you know won't be around for long?

tcman2007
06-21-2009, 06:19 PM
Everybody in here keeps talking about this "magic" deal that will obviously come when the time is right. I just don't really see that deal on the horizon for the Grizzlies. Maybe I'm wrong, but when you're forced to trade somebody, I just don't think you can get a whole lot in return unless there's major competition between other teams vying for Rubio's services.

Who is after Rubio? Minnesota is, same with Sacramento. Other than that, I haven't heard any rumors about other teams trying to trade up to get him. OKC possibly (they've kept their intentions locked up like Fort Knox), but they probably won't be a player (or at least shouldn't be). If they know that Rubio doesn't want Memphis, they'll wait to see what Memphis does first, hoping that the Grizzlies take someone else. The only way I see them being a player in the Rubio Sweepstakes is if they are pretty sure that Minny or Sactown are ready to strike a deal--if OKC really wants him, they'll have to sweeten the pot. But... they may not even be interested in Rubio. They already have a PG.

I Am Awesome-O
06-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Everybody in here keeps talking about this "magic" deal that will obviously come when the time is right. I just don't really see that deal on the horizon for the Grizzlies. Maybe I'm wrong, but when you're forced to trade somebody, I just don't think you can get a whole lot in return unless there's major competition between other teams vying for Rubio's services.

Who is after Rubio? Minnesota is, same with Sacramento. Other than that, I haven't heard any rumors about other teams trying to trade up to get him. OKC possibly (they've kept their intentions locked up like Fort Knox), but they probably won't be a player (or at least shouldn't be). If they know that Rubio doesn't want Memphis, they'll wait to see what Memphis does first, hoping that the Grizzlies take someone else. The only way I see them being a player in the Rubio Sweepstakes is if they are pretty sure that Minny or Sactown are ready to strike a deal--if OKC really wants him, they'll have to sweeten the pot. But... they may not even be interested in Rubio. They already have a PG.

1) Memphis is by no means being forced to trade Rubio.

2) "Rumors" that the media report almost never happen in the end. Look what happened last year. Did you hear any rumors about Memphis and Minny making a Love/Mayo deal? What about the Pau deal?

3) I can almost guarantee there will be better offers on draft night. As long as Memphis picks Rubio and acts like they are set on keeping him, offers will get increasingly better and better until they find the right deal. If not, they can just keep Rubio and sort things out later.

tcman2007
06-21-2009, 08:04 PM

2) "Rumors" that the media report almost never happen in the end. Look what happened last year. Did you hear any rumors about Memphis and Minny making a Love/Mayo deal? What about the Pau deal?

3) I can almost guarantee there will be better offers on draft night. As long as Memphis picks Rubio and acts like they are set on keeping him, offers will get increasingly better and better until they find the right deal. If not, they can just keep Rubio and sort things out later.

I think you are forced to do it. It'd be stupid, IMHO not to trade Rubio right now (when his stock is as high as it is). He's like a new car--the second it's driven off the lot, it loses it's value. Why would you draft him, keep him, and trade Conley instead (when Conley can't get the ransom that Rubio would require)? I don't get it. You guys keep saying: "we can draft him and keep him"... If that's the case, what do you plan on doing? If you really intend on keeping him, why are you shopping him so heavily? How are you going to resolve the issue of him not wanting to be in Memphis? What are you going to do about Mike Conley? Maybe "force" was the wrong word to use, but I just don't see you guys drafting him to keep him.

And for the record, the Love-Mayo deal was reported a week before. The only part that wasn't included was the Mike Miller part. So, yes, that deal WAS put out there some time before the trade actually happened.

tcman2007
06-21-2009, 08:07 PM

"Act" is the right word--no one will believe you! LOL. C'mon. Think about it. If we were in your situation, you'd say exactly the same thing. What if everyone calls your bluff? Did you ever think of that? What if there are only a few teams interested, you deny their trades (because they wouldn't give you what you wanted), and you're stuck with 2 unhappy players and an angry agent? Then what? Then it'll look like a doofus move. Then you actually sign him to a contract, put him out to play, and he doesn't play so good. Then you've lost a lot of the value you could've kept by trading him before you play him. Yes, you DO possess the second pick. You do have the power there, but let's face it: you guys do (in a way) have your back against the wall, and so far (according to Yahoo! Sports), no one believes that you're keeping him. If that's the case, the deals won't get "better and better".

I Am Awesome-O
06-21-2009, 08:21 PM
"Act" is the right word--no one will believe you! LOL. C'mon. Think about it. If we were in your situation, you'd say exactly the same thing. What if everyone calls your bluff? Did you ever think of that? What if there are only a few teams interested, you deny their trades (because they wouldn't give you what you wanted), and you're stuck with 2 unhappy players and an angry agent? Then what? Then it'll look like a doofus move. Then you actually sign him to a contract, put him out to play, and he doesn't play so good. Then you've lost a lot of the value you could've kept by trading him before you play him. Yes, you DO possess the second pick. You do have the power there, but let's face it: you guys do (in a way) have your back against the wall, and so far (according to Yahoo! Sports), no one believes that you're keeping him. If that's the case, the deals won't get "better and better".

Eh, we can debate this all we want, but in the end, it won't matter. I don't see us keeping the pick anyway.

I think we have a lot more power with this pick than you give us credit for, but still, I guess we will all see after the draft concludes.

Oefarmy2005
06-21-2009, 09:00 PM

I really hope that Memphis does what's right for them in this draft, and if it's trading for Love, who we all love here by the way, with us or with some other team - I don't care. I want teams like us, Grizz and Oklahoma to become players sooner and honestly wish us all best luck. But the whole argument about how Memphis will get better and better offers doesn't make sense to me. It is usually true a month or two before the draft, but now - three days away? I think with all that Rubio has said, teams are becoming more and more skeptical about trading for him as well as more skeptical about the Grizzlies taking him. So I am going to guess that the offers that are on the table today, what ever they might be, are probably the best you are going to get. And the more days pass, the more inevitable the situation for the Grizzlies and Rubio parting ways will become - thus teams are going to be offering less and less. If the Wolves got lucky and got that pick they would have taken Rubio no questions asked since we have no point guard of starting caliber, but the Grizzlies are quite ahead of us in all areas other than PF and unfortunately(or fortunately) don't have the glaring needs that we do - thus sort-of have to draft based on need.

tcman2007
06-21-2009, 09:01 PM
Eh, we can debate this all we want, but in the end, it won't matter. I don't see us keeping the pick anyway.

I think we have a lot more power with this pick than you give us credit for, but still, I guess we will all see after the draft concludes.

Naw, I don't think so. I just don't see you guys getting the # 5 and # 6 for a # 2.

tcman2007
06-21-2009, 09:06 PM
I really hope that Memphis does what's right for them in this draft, and if it's trading for Love, who we all love here by the way, with us or with some other team. I want teams like us, Grizz and Oklahoma to become player sooner and honestly wish us all best luck. But the whole argument about how will get better and better offers doesn't make sense to me. It is usually true a month or two before the draft, but now - three days away. I think with all that Rubio has said, teams are becoming more and more skeptical about trading for him as well as more skeptical about the Grizzlies taking him. So I am going to guess that the offers that are on the table today, what ever they might be, are probably the best you are going to get. And the more days pass, the more inevitable the situation for the Grizzlies and Rubio splitting parts will become - thus teams are going to be offering less and less. If the Wolves got lucky and got that pick they would have taken Rubio no questions asked since we have no point guard of starting caliber, but the Grizzlies are quite ahead of us in all areas other than PF and unfortunately don't have the glaring needs that we do.

Yes, well said. In all of this, no one has posed the question of whether or not Rubio wants to play for Minnesota. Is it worth it the 5th and the 6th to take a guy who doesn't necessarily want to play here? If he doesn't, does that take away from his value? Maybe Sacramento is the best team to trade with, if you really think about it. The problem is, though, if Sacramento learns that Rubio wants to play for them (and not MN), they'll become possibly the only option, thus sending less in exchange for Rubio.

icon1914
06-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Actually, he pretty much does. Have you been following his lawsuit with his Spanish team? He basically destroyed that relationship. He will almost assuredly be in the NBA next year (unless he plays with another European team, which I highly doubt he or Fegan will accept that), so if it's with Memphis, he and his douche agent will just have to deal with it.

No, he does not.

He most likely will be in the NBA, but if he wants out of Memphis he will get what he wants.

Memphis is not it the position to play hardball. They need to win and can't have a pick tied up in a dispute over him wanting to play in a bigger market. There will be too many offers on the table for Memphis to turn away.

The ball is actually in Rubio's court.

Grizz/Cowboys09
07-09-2009, 01:51 AM
Thank God we didn't draft Rubio...no matter how good he'll be 4,5 years from now, he wasn't what the Grizzlies needed...the Grizzlies have always needed the same thing...a big mean defensive, rebounding nightmare...and we finally have one...hopefully

and now we can get AI, who Rubio will never come close to being....and AI's better for ticket sales