PDA

View Full Version : Crist running for Senate

SmthBluCitrus
05-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Crist running for Senate

Florida Gov. Charlie Crist (R) will be announcing Tuesday that he will be running for the Senate, according to a source close to the governor, giving Republicans their most high-profile recruit of the 2010 election cycle.

Crist's decision puts Republicans in strong position to hold onto the seat held by retiring Sen. Mel Martinez (R-Fla.) Crist holds high approval ratings among both Republicans and Democrats, according to statewide polling, and has forged a moderate governing style that has won him widespread support.

His decision to run came as little surprise to political observers, with the governor and his allies hinting of his interest in running for Congress over the last several months.

Florida Republican Party chairman Jim Greer confirmed to the Pensacola News-Journal that Crist will be making his formal announcement in Tallahassee on Tuesday at "a low-key event" and said he will draw immediate endorsements by a statewide and national Republican leaders.

Crist starts out as the frontrunner to succeed Martinez. But he will first be facing a primary against an up-and-coming conservative challenger, former state House Speaker Marco Rubio. Many Florida conservatives have begun to rally around Rubio over dissatisfaction with Crist’s moderate positions, particularly his vigorous advocacy of President Barack Obama’s stimulus package.

One major unanswered question is whether former Florida governor Jeb Bush will back his gubernatorial successor, or stay on the sidelines during the primary.

On the Democratic side, Rep. Kendrick Meek (D-Fla.) looks like the early favorite to win the nomination based on his strong fundraising and key endorsements from liberal groups. He is currently facing state senator Dan Gelber in the primary.

Politico (http://www.politico.com/blogs/scorecard/0509/Crist_running_for_Senate.html)

b1e9a8r5s
05-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Wow, we are running a viable candidate. Ill take it!

blenderboy5
05-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Yeah I'm not surprised by this move he'll probably win.

I'm not sure if Jeb Bush's endorsement would help or hurt Crist.

behindmydesk
05-11-2009, 11:53 AM
I give it a decade till he's pulling a spector

BroadwayJoe
05-11-2009, 12:51 PM
even though i don't agree with all of his policies, i feel like many liberals in CA do regarding arnie

he's been a capable guy who's toed both sides of the aisle when needed. he's certainly leaps and bounds better than his predecessor...

ari1013
05-11-2009, 03:36 PM
If Crist makes it out of the GOP primary (I wouldn't put it past the GOP to Toomey him), then he should be a lock for the seat over Meek. However, that also means the Dems have a very good chance at taking over the governorship now.

behindmydesk
05-11-2009, 03:53 PM
I wanted Jeb to run for senate.

BroadwayJoe
05-11-2009, 04:03 PM

jeb blows

ari1013
05-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Me too. But Senator Meek would probably suck really bad so I'm glad Florida will have Senator Crist instead.

behindmydesk
05-11-2009, 04:42 PM
jeb blows

Me too. But Senator Meek would probably suck really bad so I'm glad Florida will have Senator Crist instead.

Hogwash.

cabernetluver
05-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Looks like the Toomey like challenges is coming.

From Politico (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0509/22387.html) this about Marco Rubio

“If we’re offering the same thing as the Democrats, but with different packaging, what’s the point in having a Republican Party?” Rubio said.“I’m going to offer Floridians a clear, consistent, authentic small-government choice in the primary.”

Rubio is getting the backing of the Daily Standard so we can see he is not without some national backing. It is meant to be a test of the moderate wing of the GOP v the conservative wing.

Florida is not a wing nut (either side) kind of state. If Rubio wins, it will be a gift to the Democratic party of a seat that Crist should have won.

behindmydesk
05-12-2009, 11:06 AM
I am strongly behind Rubio, in fact estatic that he's running and he's damn right, on the same thing in a different set of clothes.

behindmydesk
05-12-2009, 11:09 AM
And let it be a "gift" to the democrats, which i'm not 100% sure it will be. I'd rather democrats get credit for democratic party ideas, then republicans help them get democratic party ideas threw.

blenderboy5
05-12-2009, 11:45 AM
And let it be a "gift" to the democrats, which i'm not 100% sure it will be. I'd rather democrats get credit for democratic party ideas, then republicans help them get democratic party ideas threw.

There's some validity in that, and I see we're you're coming from.

But wouldn't you rather have a man that votes with you 60% of the time than a man who votes with you 30% of the time?

behindmydesk
05-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Not when you get the backlash, and what are the 60% on. If it's 60% on bogus smaller issues, then the 40% is on Hell Yea I support the stimulus bills, where are you winning.

ari1013
05-12-2009, 02:18 PM
You can keep talking about backlash, but the numbers have bottomed out. We're hitting the flat bottom end of the recession now in terms of job numbers and economic growth. From here on out we'll have some improvements (i.e. still job losses but numbers that are manageable) until we hit October when we'll actually begin to see real growth.

Whether or not it's because of the stimulus won't matter. Obama's going to get credit for the recovery and the Dems are going to pick up seats in the Senate.

behindmydesk
05-12-2009, 02:22 PM
I meant backlash from the party.

ari1013
05-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Oh I thought you were talking about Dem backlash.

Honestly, as far as GOP backlash -- that might be a good thing for them. They need someone to step it up and say "enough is enough" and be the person who revamps the Republican party. The way things are going, they seem to believe that the Dems are just going to make a mistake in the next 18 months that will let them cruise in 2010. I really think it's going to take another crushing loss before they start blaming themselves and then can pull out a victory at the Congressional level in 2012 or 2014.

behindmydesk
05-12-2009, 02:38 PM
What you mean like running quasi democrats, against a true democrat? I'm sick of it, it doesn't work, and Crist is a perfect example of it. A bunch of people have been blaming themselves, for nominating these people IE McCain, and now Crist, and others. And you are seeing us try to correct that by running true conservatives against them.

ari1013
05-12-2009, 02:41 PM
What you mean like running quasi democrats, against a true democrat? I'm sick of it, it doesn't work, and Crist is a perfect example of it. A bunch of people have been blaming themselves, for nominating these people IE McCain, and now Crist, and others. And you are seeing us try to correct that by running true conservatives against them.
I'm not talking about quasi-Democrats. I'm talking about bad Republicans. Clearly Boehner and McConnell aren't cut out to be Congressional leaders. Since they took over the reigns the GOP has tumbled.

Pelosi and Reid are awful, but they still have higher approval than their Republican counterparts. That says a lot about the GOP that they can't beat the clowns the Dems have up there.

behindmydesk
05-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Yes but Pelosi and Reid have the luxery of having a bit of help by being of the same party as a popular president. I'm sure the same was true of the republican leadership after 911 when Bush was wildly popular.

SmthBluCitrus
05-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi have been around a lot longer than the last two years.

behindmydesk
05-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Pelosi's only been in charge for 2 years.

SmthBluCitrus
05-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Pelosi's only been in charge for 2 years.

That's because the Democratic Party has only been in charge in the House the past two years. But, her and Harry Reid have been around longer than that -- and even though they're not the most popular people (inside or outside of the Democratic Party).

behindmydesk
05-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Yea but we are pretty much just talking about the heads.

SmthBluCitrus
05-12-2009, 03:13 PM
I get that. But, Nancy Pelosi was also the House Minority Leader from '03 - 07 and the Whip for a year before that. So, she was in a position of party leadership prior to becoming the Speaker of the House. Same with Reid -- he was the Senate Minority Leader for four years prior to becoming the Majority Leader.

I'm not saying they necessarily did -- or have done -- a great job as members of Congress, but they still clearly haven't been responsible for a party downfall in the same aspect as McConnell and Boehner.

cabernetluver
05-12-2009, 07:04 PM
What do Markos Moulitsas Zúniga (kos of the dailykos) and BMD have in common?

Wait for it

Wait for it

Wait for it

They are both rooting for FL-Sen: Marco Rubio to beat Charlie Crist. Honest. I just read in the Daily Kos that Rubio is now his favorite Republican.

ari1013
05-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Something tells me he has a poll showing Meek way ahead of Rubio.

cabernetluver
05-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Something tells me he has a poll showing Meek way ahead of Rubio.

Ya think? :p

SmthBluCitrus
05-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Morning Briefing

1. Tax Hiker Runs for Senate in Florida

Charlie Crist Delenda Est

Charlie Crist is announcing his run for the Senate today in Florida. It is not an understatement to say the heart and soul of the GOP will be determined in the Florida election.

Will we go with tanned, telegenic tax hikers with dubious personal issues, or young, telegenic conservative reformers who are not afraid to speak up for freedom?

Between Charlie Crist and Marco Rubio, that is what we have. Count me with Rubio.

The irony of Charlie Crist’s run is that he is announcing his run today as a Republican and has already committed to raising taxes on working families in Florida. With the GOP’s image already tarnished over its handling of fiscal matters in the past few years, you would think the GOP would be swift to reject someone like Crist. Crist is, after all, the man Barack Obama called his favorite Republican.

You would be wrong.

In Florida, Crist has spent the past few years inserting moderates into positions of power, including appointing judges who are soft on crime and decidedly left. He has weakened a once invulnerable Republican Party in the name of being liked across party lines.

He and his compatriots are already pushing the idea that Charlie Crist is the only man who can keep Florida’s Senate seat Republican. That is total and utter nonsense. Florida has consistently elected men to the right of Crist and, in fact, when Crist ran for Governor he campaigned much to the right of where he has governed. He has betrayed his base and worked hard to shut the base out of decision making.

Marco Rubio, on the other hand, has been a bold conservative reformer. He has been an unapologetic champion of free people and free markets. While Crist has raised taxes, Rubio has fought to cut taxes and balance budgets. While Crist has undermined Jeb Bush’s education reforms that awarded academic scholarships based on merit, Rubio has fought for the idea that people should be judged not based on their skin color or their family’s background, but on their personal achievements and merit.

We have in Florida, playing out for the United States Senate, the same fight playing out nationally — should the GOP become more like the Democrats or should the GOP be a party dedicated to the right of each person to make himself in the world. Those who think the GOP should be more like the Democrats — tax hiking equalizers who want people to depend on government — will vote for Crist.

Those who want the GOP to be the GOP — a party of limited government where the government depends on free people in free markets — will back Rubio.

I will stand with Marco Rubio against the tax hiking defender of government bureaucracy, Charlie Crist. I hope you will too. And I dare say, the future of the GOP depends on this race. Charlie Crist Delenda Est.

RedState (http://www.redstate.com/blog/2009/05/13/morning-briefing-for-may-13-2009/)

Fun video to go with it, too.

Marco Rubio: Let the Debate Begin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROErHRmTrYw&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.redstate.com%2Ferick%2F2009% 2F05%2F12%2Ftax-hiker-runs-for-senate-in-florida%2F&feature=player_embedded)