PDA

View Full Version : draft grade :)

KiNgSuNs1
04-27-2009, 10:56 PM
2009 NFL Draft | Saturday's Cards picks:

RB Chris "Beanie" Wells
Round 1, 31st-overall pick
Height: 6-1. | Weight: 235.
College: Ohio State. | Hometown: Akron, Ohio.

His role: The Cardinals are expected to release Edgerrin James this off-season, so they needed a runner to share time with Tim Hightower. Coach Ken Whisenhunt believes in a two-back system, and Wells should be a nice complement to Hightower. Wells is a good inside runner with the speed to make big plays. Hightower has proven himself in short-yardage situations and as a receiver.

OLB Cody Brown
Round 2, 63rd-overall pick
Height: 6-2. | Weight: 244.
College: UConn. | Hometown: Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.

His role: A defensive end in college, Brown will transition to outside linebacker in the 3-4. He'll be asked to rush the passer as well as drop into coverage. The Cardinals have four veterans ahead of him, so Brown won't have to play immediately, but the club needed some youth at the position

Cards draft Alabama's Johnson in 3rd
Rashad Johnson, 5-feet-11, 203 pounds, apparently was too good to pass up. A walk-on at Alabama, Johnson became a regular starter as a junior and has a knack for making big plays.

4th-round: St. Paul's cornerback Greg Toler
Toler has been timed in the 40-yard dash at 4.38 seconds and has a knack for blocking kicks. He was impressive in post-season all-star games, but hes regarded as a raw prospect because of his level of competition in college.

Toler wont have to play right away for the Cardinals, who are set at cornerback with starters Bryant McFadden, Rodgers-Cromartie and backups Rod Hood, Ralph Brown and Michael Adams

5th round: LSU guard Herman Johnson
Johnson started three seasons for LSU and has a reputation as a powerful run blocker. According to reports, he was one of the largest babies ever born in Louisiana, weighing 15 pounds, 14 ounces at birth.

6th round: Illinois defensive end Will Davis
He had 9 sacks as a junior but dropped off to 3 last season as a senior as he struggled because of an ankle injury.

At 6-2 and 260 pounds, hes probably not big enough to play defensive end in the 3-4 defense.

7th round: Pitt RB Howling, Cincy G Canfield
With the first of two picks in the seventh round, the Cardinals selected running back LaRod Stephens-Howling from Pittsburgh.

Stephens-Howling is 5-6 and 180 pounds. He was overcome with emotion when talking to Arizona reporters, saying making the NFL had been his lifelong dream.

He is a kick returner and if he's going to make the Cardinals roster, it will be because of his kick return ability

With 254th overall pick, the Cards took Trevor Canfield, a 6-5, 307-pound guard from Cincinnati.

He was a three-year starter for the Bearcats and a three-time second-team All-Big East pick -- as a left guard in 2007 and right guard in '06 and '08. Canfield started 39 consecutive games.

KiNgSuNs1
04-27-2009, 11:00 PM
we picked up everything that we need except a te, but i like the depth we already have and hopefully one will play consistent this year. the draft has given us alot of depth.

chadillachembre
04-27-2009, 11:55 PM
Ya i really would have liked to see us get a TE. The experts were saying this was a draft to get one. Overall I give our squad a B+. We got better and improved our depth. Beanie is growing on me. I really like our top 3 picks because they will be able to contribute immediatly. LaRod Stephens-Howling can be an x-factor as well with his return ability. He will be this years JJ Arrington. Good draft coach whiz

fenikz
04-28-2009, 12:00 AM
an easy A, we had a top 5 draft, took BPA over and over and filled some needs

HOZ THE KNICK
04-28-2009, 08:55 AM
off topic
cardinal fans do you guys have TE leonard pope under contract? thanks in advance

KiNgSuNs1
04-28-2009, 09:50 AM
off topic
cardinal fans do you guys have TE leonard pope under contract? thanks in advance

if i remember right, i beleive we signed him for a year already.

HOZ THE KNICK
04-28-2009, 10:16 AM
if i remember right, i beleive we signed him for a year already.
thanks

EastCoastBaller
04-28-2009, 08:01 PM
B+