PDA

View Full Version : Ranking Senate partisans

SmthBluCitrus
04-21-2009, 10:13 AM
I thought this was rather interesting ...

Ranking Senate partisans

Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.) and Susan Collins (R-Maine) are the easiest senators to work with, while Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) and Jim Bunning (R-Ky.) are the most partisan members of the upper chamber, according to a survey conducted by The Hill.

The Hill asked all 99 seated senators which member of the opposing party they most enjoyed partnering with on legislation. The senators were also quizzed (on a not-for-attribution basis) about their least favorite.

The answers reveal a Senate with surprising alliances, close friendships and some personal resentments.

After Kennedy, the most bipartisan Democrats are Sens. Tom Carper (Del.), Chris Dodd (Conn.), Evan Bayh (Ind.) and Tom Harkin (Iowa).

Following Collins on the GOP side are Sens. Olympia Snowe (Maine), Orrin Hatch (Utah), Richard Lugar (Ind.) and John McCain (Ariz.).

Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) did not make the top five despite voting for President Obama’s economic stimulus package. Collins and Snowe were the only other Republicans in Congress to back that bill.

Sens. Ben Nelson (D-Neb.) and Mary Landrieu (D-La.) regularly buck their party, but neither cracked the top five.

Obama has vowed to change the tone of Congress, urging members of both parties to put “childish” politics aside. The president’s call for bipartisanship has generated mixed results, with partisanship flaring during the recent budget debates in the House and Senate.

Working across the aisle sometimes depends on ideology, but not in every case. For example, New York Democrat Charles Schumer will, at times, join forces with South Carolina Republican Lindsey Graham. And staunch conservative Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) said he misses working with Obama in the Senate.

Kennedy’s affability was cited by some of the Senate’s most conservative Republicans, including Hatch, Jeff Sessions (Ala.) and Minority Whip Jon Kyl (Ariz.).

“I’d love to co-sponsor every piece of legislation with Ted Kennedy,” said Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.). “When Ted says he’s going to do something, he’s committed to it.”

The Hill (more) (http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/ranking-senate-partisans-2009-04-20.html)

Here's the top five on each side:

MOST BIPARTISAN

DEMOCRATS
1. Edward Kennedy (Mass.)
2. Tom Carper (Del.)
3. Chris Dodd (Conn.)
4. (tied) Evan Bayh (Ind.)
4. (tied) Tom Harkin (Iowa)

REPUBLICANS
1. Susan Collins (Maine)
2. Olympia Snowe (Maine)
3. Orrin Hatch (Utah)
4. (tied) Richard Lugar (Ind.)
4. (tied) John McCain (Ariz.)

LEAST BIPARTISAN

DEMOCRATS
1. Patrick Leahy (Vt.)
2. Charles Schumer (N.Y.)
3. Chris Dodd (Conn.)
4. Dick Durbin (Ill.)
5. John Kerry (Mass.)

REPUBLICANS
1. Jim Bunning (Ky.)
2. David Vitter (La.)
3. Tom Coburn (Okla.)
4. Jim DeMint (S.C.)
5. Lamar Alexander (Tenn.)

Wrigleyboy25
04-21-2009, 10:16 AM
Haha. I hate you Schumer.

Everything looks about right.

cabernetluver
04-21-2009, 10:53 AM
It pretty much followed my perception of who understands the legislative process most. It also shows why the vilification of those with whom we tend to disagree with is absurd. A lesson to be learned, even practiced in our internet and every day lives.

ari1013
04-21-2009, 11:09 AM
Haha. I hate you Schumer.

Everything looks about right.
:laugh:

But yeah, it doesn't surprise me either :)

ari1013
04-21-2009, 11:11 AM
It pretty much followed my perception of who understands the legislative process most. It also shows why the vilification of those with whom we tend to disagree with is absurd. A lesson to be learned, even practiced in our internet and every day lives.
It also shows you that among Republicans, the Senators with the most experience tend to be the ones that people can work with. The relatively new guys are the ones that are the most ideological on the right.

And among the Democrats it looks like a mixed bag. I'm also unsure how Chris Dodd can be #3 on both lists :confused:

dbroncos78087
04-21-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm also unsure how Chris Dodd can be #3 on both lists :confused:

I was just going to ask that. Seems odd, unless he has approved cloning and there are two of him there.

ari1013
04-21-2009, 11:26 AM
I was just going to ask that. Seems odd, unless he has approved cloning and there are two of him there.
That could explain a lot though.

cabernetluver
04-21-2009, 11:30 AM
I have seen that kind of thing before. I am pretty sure it was asked as two questions. Who can you work with (kind of question) Who can't you work with (kind of question) can yield that type of result, as opposed to a single rate them in ability to work with the opposite party (kind of question).

lakersrock
04-21-2009, 11:37 AM
So they rank who is partisan by who they like to work with? Sounds like a popularity contest to me. Kennedy isn't bi-partisan in the least. He is Democrat/Liberal through and through. That doesn't mean he's not a nice guy to work with though.

ari1013
04-21-2009, 11:49 AM
So they rank who is partisan by who they like to work with? Sounds like a popularity contest to me. Kennedy isn't bi-partisan in the least. He is Democrat/Liberal through and through. That doesn't mean he's not a nice guy to work with though.
The whole concept of being bipartisan is about being constructive with the other side, not being ultra-moderate.

blenderboy5
04-21-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm a bit surprised Lamar Alexander made the list

ari1013
04-21-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm a bit surprised Lamar Alexander made the list
just for curiousity sake, why?

blenderboy5
04-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Well first off, he's kind of irrelevant lol. Like... compare him to the other people on the list. Kennedy, Hatch, McCain, Snowe, etc. Also, he was viewed as too moderate when he initially ran for election. I'm a bit surprised he became that conservative.

ari1013
04-21-2009, 03:54 PM
Well first off, he's kind of irrelevant lol. Like... compare him to the other people on the list. Kennedy, Hatch, McCain, Snowe, etc. Also, he was viewed as too moderate when he initially ran for election. I'm a bit surprised he became that conservative.
It's not about being too moderate -- it's about being a hard *** and not wanting to work with anyone.

SmthBluCitrus
04-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Exactly. People say that Ted Kennedy and Tom Harkin are two of the most liberal Senators in Washington -- yet, they're one and four (tied) respectively on the list. Political ideology isn't the focus on this article -- the ease at which they actively engage the "other side" is.

poodski
04-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Evan Bayh sucks so much.

cabernetluver
04-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Evan Bayh sucks so much.

And yet, Republican senators say he is a man they can work with, a puzzlement?

behindmydesk
04-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Po is from Indiana too, he wasn't that good of a governor, and stood Po's class up when they were visiting him.

behindmydesk
04-21-2009, 05:14 PM
As for me, I'm not much into Bayh's policies, and vote against him, but he'll call a spade a spade when needs too. He called Obama out on the stimulus money being spent. He's not bad, just not who i vote for, but i'm not upset that he's elected.

b1e9a8r5s
04-21-2009, 05:42 PM
As for me, I'm not much into Bayh's policies, and vote against him, but he'll call a spade a spade when needs too. He called Obama out on the stimulus money being spent. He's not bad, just not who i vote for, but i'm not upset that he's elected.

I agree 100%. I gained a lot of respect for him when he spoke out against the stimulus. Not because of the policy itself, but because he did it when it was clearly unpopular and thought it was the right thing to do. I'm sure we disagree on most issues, but he's an "ok" Democrat in my book.

LetsGoA's
04-21-2009, 06:05 PM
Senator dick durbin of Illinois would have been a much better option for president than Barrack.

A true bipartisan, with a lot more experience.

SmthBluCitrus
04-21-2009, 07:12 PM
If you're going to type out the President's name -- at least make sure you spell it correctly.

Oh, and Durbin actually scored pretty low among the Senators as "bipartisan."

LetsGoA's
04-21-2009, 07:44 PM
If you're going to type out the President's name -- at least make sure you spell it correctly.

Oh, and Durbin actually scored pretty low among the Senators as "bipartisan."

Woah woah calm down Iowa, don't get excited, it was sarcasm, in case you hadn't caught on (how you could miss that considering how much you read my posts like dogma I don't know) I like Obama. I appreciate the spell check fetish you seem to have though, must work wonders for your gal...

SmthBluCitrus
04-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Woah woah calm down Iowa, don't get excited, it was sarcasm, in case you hadn't caught on (how you could miss that considering how much you read my posts like dogma I don't know) I like Obama. I appreciate the spell check fetish you seem to have though, must work wonders for your gal...

If by "gal" you mean my daughter -- then yes. Then again, at five years old she's learning how to spell. That's appears to be something that hasn't quite caught on with you. For a self-proclaimed grad student, I'd expect more.

But, if by "gal" you mean my spouse -- then think again, because I'm a woman (a married woman for that matter).

cabernetluver
04-21-2009, 07:55 PM

It has been my experience on both the giving and receiving end, that sarcasm rarely works in this setting. On a secondary note, next month I will be driving up to Sac for a meeting, stopping in Stockton for a family visit, but the important part of the trip will be in Lodi, to pick up a couple of cases of Zin.

behindmydesk
04-21-2009, 09:04 PM
Sarcasm always works for me. Like that one time I said Pete Carrol is a real stand up human being.

Everyone knew I was being sarcastic! :)

God I hope ND wins this year, the *** whooping USC gives us is really starting to make it hard to sit.

LetsGoA's
04-21-2009, 09:10 PM
If by "gal" you mean my daughter -- then yes. Then again, at five years old she's learning how to spell. That's appears to be something that hasn't quite caught on with you. For a self-proclaimed grad student, I'd expect more.

But, if by "gal" you mean my spouse -- then think again, because I'm a woman (a married woman for that matter).

I've been arguing with a woman? And I'm not a grad student, I earned my degree. You seem fascinated with my spelling and my schooling, PM if you want more details on how to get a graduate degree of your own, that is, if you are interested.

LetsGoA's
04-21-2009, 09:12 PM
It has been my experience on both the giving and receiving end, that sarcasm rarely works in this setting. On a secondary note, next month I will be driving up to Sac for a meeting, stopping in Stockton for a family visit, but the important part of the trip will be in Lodi, to pick up a couple of cases of Zin.

Just make sure you don't get lost in south stockton, if you got a chance, check out the wineries in Livermore. Better dining options and more to do in the area (tri valley) if you want a "night on the town"

SmthBluCitrus
04-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Sarcasm always works for me. Like that one time I said Pete Carrol is a real stand up human being.

Everyone knew I was being sarcastic! :)

God I hope ND wins this year, the *** whooping USC gives us is really starting to make it hard to sit.

Yea, that would be nice. It would just be nice to see the Irish competitive again.

behindmydesk
04-21-2009, 09:21 PM
So back on track.

As gov Bayh did some rather liberal things, and didn't follow threw on some things. He was a beloved gov though. And wins in landslides every year. He was big time Pro hillary, and most likely would have been Hillary's VP choice.

dbroncos78087
04-21-2009, 09:25 PM
I've been arguing with a woman? Maybe you should consider tending to your child. And I'm not a grad student, I earned my degree. You seem fascinated with my spelling and my schooling, PM if you want more details on how to get a graduate degree of your own, that is, if you are interested.

Your talking to my woman might want to tone it down.

LetsGoA's
04-21-2009, 09:28 PM
It also shows you that among Republicans, the Senators with the most experience tend to be the ones that people can work with. The relatively new guys are the ones that are the most ideological on the right.

And among the Democrats it looks like a mixed bag. I'm also unsure how Chris Dodd can be #3 on both lists :confused:

Yea Ideologues win elections but movers and shakers of populist movements and people who work well with the other side are the ones who stay in office.

LetsGoA's
04-21-2009, 09:30 PM
Your talking to my woman might want to tone it down.

Well I can pass the information on to you to give to her if she is interested in finding out about a graduate program, how about that? She seems interested on the issue,she did after all bring it up for the 10th time. I was just offering to help.

blenderboy5
04-21-2009, 11:49 PM
haha I love how my post was deleted but it's allowed to be displayed in your sig. Still an accurate description though.

ari1013
04-21-2009, 11:51 PM
:laugh:

LetsGoA's
04-22-2009, 12:01 AM
I changed the language and made it more pg, you shoulda tried that route, always makes things smoother.

dbroncos78087
04-22-2009, 12:11 AM
Calm down everyone.

yankeesmindset
04-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Feinstein and her husband pulled off a good one. No honor amongst thieves. The Statist's are really benefitting from all this bailout money. And most don't even have to worry about paying their taxes!

ari1013
04-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Feinstein and her husband pulled off a good one. No honor amongst thieves. The Statist's are really benefitting from all this bailout money. And most don't even have to worry about paying their taxes!
1. I can't tell if you're using that word as an insult.

2. Regardless, I don't see what that has to do at all with this thread.

poodski
04-22-2009, 10:46 AM
And yet, Republican senators say he is a man they can work with, a puzzlement?

That may be so but when I went to Washington DC he stood up my 4-H group. We were to have a sit down discussion with him and after being 45 minutes late he sent a page to cancel.

Honestly I couldnt care if he is Republican, Democrat, or a Nazi. I dont like him, and he wasnt a good governor.

Lugar is a great guy. Sat down with us and had a very nice discussion with us for a couple hours. Something we expected from Bayh.

Tim Roemer was a nice guy as well for a Democrat.

ari1013
04-22-2009, 11:53 AM
:laugh: at the way you added "...for a democrat" as if that has something to do with someone being a nice guy.