PDA

View Full Version : Official Off-Season/Entry Draft Thread

T.O.Bombinators
04-14-2009, 08:39 PM
Francois Giguere is getting his name dragged through the excrement right now. He is this week’s Lee Majors (sorry, “Fall Guy” reference).
Specifically, everybody is piling on (and my hand is raised here) for his signing of aging stiff wily veteran Darcy Tucker last summer, to the tune of two years and $4.5 million.

Yes, Giguere is the man ultimately responsible for the signing, because he was the GM. But let’s not forget one thing Tucker said at the time of his signing. This, from the July 2, 2008, Denver Post:
“The biggest thing for me was that Tony Granato got on the phone and swayed me over,” Tucker said. “First and foremost, it’s a chance to win. They have a good group of young guys, plus Tony Granato is a big reason. We have a similar mindset.”

Everybody seems to be distancing themselves from the Tucker signing, and from Giguere in general. But maybe it might be nice for Granato to say, assuming he’s coming back, that “Hey, I might have screwed up thinking Darcy had something left.”

Of course, he won’t say that. Tucker could be back next year, provided he isn’t bought out for the second time in his career - which would make him the first NHL player to be bought out twice I believe.

As a day has passed and only Giguere has been let go, I’m starting to lean more into the belief that the Avs need to clean house completely (we assume this won’t apply to assistant-coach-for-life, Jacques Cloutier). I just think it’s going to be too awkward when a new GM comes in, and yet he’s left to work with the same, old coach.

This whole thing has the potential to be one big, awkward mess. What makes it potentially awkward is that Pierre Lacroix is showing that, basically, he still runs the show with this team. Any GM he hires is basically going to be serving at the pleasure of Pierre Lacroix. The new GM might want his own coach, but what’s he going to say to Lacroix, if Granato is still around: “Hey Pierre, um, I want my own coach.” That guy isn’t going to be the GM.

That said, I don’t for a second believe that Granato’s return is a done deal yet. I said in my “Au Revoir” blog the other night that I’d put the odds at 60-40, and I’m still sticking with that. Nobody, of course, is talking about it. But one thing I was told with some knowledge of Stan Kroenke’s way of thinking is this: He doesn’t like to pay off a coach with two years left on a contract.

It could be that simple, that Granato survives because he’s still got two years left and Stan doesn’t want to pay the extra dough to buy him out early. Jeff Bzdelik’s contract with the Nuggets was cited as one example.

Of course, that could be very penny-wise, pound-foolish thinking. Kroenke is worth $3 billion. Would he really be that concerned with, say, $700,000 a year, if the coach really was the problem to his team and a new one could turn around the team’s fortunes in a hurry - thereby making him more money at the gate?

I would assume Kroenke wouldn’t keep a guy, even if he thought he was a problem, over relative pennies. But don’t ask me to explain the logic of this organization sometimes. I gave that up long ago.http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2009/04/14/tony-granato-is-not-blameless-in-the-darcy-tucker-signing/

T.O.Bombinators
04-14-2009, 08:40 PM
One day after the Avalanche finished its worst season in team history, Francois Giguere was fired Monday as general manager. Pierre Lacroix, the former GM and current team president, will assume Giguere's duties, but only until he finds a successor.

That successor is expected to come from a handful of in-house candidates, but former members of the organization could be considered.

"The results of this season are unacceptable," Lacroix said in a statement. "We feel a new direction is needed which re-emphasizes those standards of excellence our fans have grown accustomed to since 1995. We will work diligently toward reclaiming our identity that made our brand so special and unique."

Lacroix would not answer questions about the firing. For now, Avalanche coach Tony Granato's job appears safe. Despite coaching the team to a 32-45-5 record, which was last place overall in the Western Conference, Granato remains well-liked in the organization and has two years remaining on a three-year contract.

While the Avs remain tight-lipped about firing Giguere, a picture is emerging that La-croix blames more of the Avs' current troubles on Giguere's decisions than on Granato's coaching methods.

Among those decisions: letting goalie Jose Theodore leave for Washington over a relatively small difference in money, the signing of aging winger Darcy Tucker to a two-year, $4.5 million contract, and other signings that have produced a payroll that leaves little room for flexibility entering the 2009-10 season.

"We are too proud of what we have accomplished in this market to ignore where we are and what happened in just a very short period of time," Lacroix said in his statement.

Lacroix, 60, will not consider taking over as GM next season, the team said. He will retain the titles of team president and alternate governor.

Historically, Lacroix and the Avs have favored in-house promotion for management and coaching jobs, or people who had previous ties to the organization.

With Lacroix making the decision on Giguere's successor, that philosophy is not expected to change and is why names such as Craig Billington, Michel Goulet and Greg Sherman figure to be highest on La-croix's list of candidates.

Billington, the Avs' vice president of hockey operations, could have the inside track. He will represent the Avalanche in Toronto today for the NHL's draft lottery drawing, in which the Avs will find out whether they will pick first, third or fourth in the first round of the June 26 draft.

Having served the previous four seasons as director of player development, Billington is more familiar than other candidates with the Avalanche's young prospects throughout the system.

Billington, 42, a former Avs goalie, declined to comment Monday about the opening, as did any other members of management, per orders of the team. Giguere could not be reached for comment.

In Giguere's three seasons as GM, the Avs missed the playoffs twice and finished this season 26th in average home attendance, at 15,429 per game.

Goulet lost out to Giguere for the GM job in 2006, after Lacroix stepped down, and has served in a management capacity with the Avs for 13 years. His title is assistant to the executive vice president/general manager.

Sherman has the title of assistant general manager but is seen more as a "business guy" than a "hockey guy." http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_12135908

T.O.Bombinators
04-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Replacing the Vets
Part I-Tyler Arnason (http://jibblescribbits.blogspot.com/2009/04/possibly-replacing-vets-part-1.html)
Part II-Ben Guite (http://jibblescribbits.blogspot.com/2009/04/possibly-replacing-vets-part-2-ben.html)
Part III-Lappy (http://jibblescribbits.blogspot.com/2009/04/possibly-replacing-vets-part-3-its-all.html)

T.O.Bombinators
04-15-2009, 07:41 PM
There was no defying the odds by the Avalanche or any other team that had a shot Tuesday night at the No. 1 pick of the 2009 NHL draft. The Avs finished third-to-last overall and will pick third in the first round of the June 26 draft in Montreal.

The last-place New York Islanders won the draft lottery and will keep the first pick, and 29th-place Tampa Bay will pick second.

While the first pick — and the chance to take major-junior phenom forward John Tavares — would have been nice, Avalanche vice president of hockey operations Craig Billington said there will still be a very nice player available at No. 3.

"This is a very strong draft, and I know our hockey staff feels there is going to be an elite player available," said Billington, who sat in a New York TV studio while NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly opened the third-pick envelope. "It's something that we need as a franchise, and I think for the fans and the community that are used to seeing a high-quality caliber hockey player, that's what we're going to end up with."

If the name Matt Duchene is not familiar to Avs fans now, it might be in the near future. Duchene, a 5-foot-11, 190-pound center with the Brampton Battalion of the Ontario Hockey League, is ranked on most scouts' list as the consensus third pick, behind Tavares and Swedish defenseman Victor Hedman.

NHL teams are not allowed to talk about undrafted players, but here's what the NHL's Central Scouting service said about Duchene: "Has great hands and possesses one of the best shots in the OHL. . . . A pure high-level sniper. . . . Among the best skaters in the draft. . . . Has game-breaker written all over him."

With the retirement of captain Joe Sakic a real possibility, the Avs might need immediate help at center. Duchene has a chance to step right into the NHL next season. He'll probably have to fill out more and he is only 18, but the native of Haliburton, Ontario, is considered a blue-chip prospect. He posted 31 goals and 48 assists in 57 games for Brampton.

Billington said the Avs will take a closer look at the top prospects at the NHL scouting combine May 25-30 in Toronto. Teams can interview players and record their performances on various physical drills.

The Avs are without a general manager, having dismissed Francois Giguere on Monday. Coach Tony Granato's job is safe at least until a GM is named.

Billington, a strong candidate for the GM job and speaking Tuesday on behalf of the organization, indicated the team will not trade the pick — but didn't rule anything out.

"The one thing I've learned in the game of hockey is you keep your options open, and it's a smart thing to do," Billington said. "Having said that, the opportunity for us to go in there and draft an elite hockey player is extremely appealing for our franchise. We'll let that process unfold in the next couple of months.

"Organizationally, I think it's about adding that special piece in the process, and what position that guy ends up playing, I can't speak of, but there will be elite players at all positions available in that spot." http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_12144100

drake17
04-16-2009, 12:04 AM
thanks for the updates TO keep em comin

T.O.Bombinators
04-16-2009, 01:21 AM
i do my best

IBleedPurple
04-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Yeah great updates TO. Avs fans everywhere have to start building up their hopes starting now.

T.O.Bombinators
04-16-2009, 07:50 PM
i love when we start losing people come the last 2 years thers been like me ksneil and downsos wih occasional posts from others but ksneil barely posts anymore:pity:

drake17
04-16-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm an good abs poster now

T.O.Bombinators
04-17-2009, 12:56 AM
I'm an good abs poster now

we cant tell unless u show us

T.O.Bombinators
04-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Former Avalanche player and front-office member Eric Lacroix will not be a candidate to succeed Francois Giguere as the team's general manager.

Lacroix, currently a scout with the Phoenix Coyotes, told The Denver Post today he is not under consideration, nor would he take the job if offered.

Last Saturday on CBC's "Hockey Night in Canada" broadcast, the network said Lacroix would be the team's next GM and that Patrick Roy would be the next coach. Lacroix, 37, said there was never any possibility that would happen.

Lacroix's father, Pierre, remains in search mode for the team's next GM. Coach Tony Granato is in no danger of losing his job until the next GM is named, but it remains to be seen how secure his job will be after Giguere's successor takes power. http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_12165904

T.O.Bombinators
04-17-2009, 11:11 PM
Pierre McGuire wants back in the National Hockey League’s “in crowd.” Not that he isn’t very well connected already - he’s probably the most influential color hockey analyst around right now, and most hockey fans know his name.

But as he and everybody else who has been a coach or GM in the NHL would tell you, once you have had a taste for the inside life of the NHL, you never get it out of your system. You always want back in.

That was the first thing Marc Crawford told me when I ran into him at the Edmonton airport a few weeks ago. Yeah, he’s making some nice coin as a color analyst with the CBC right, but Crow would trade his left “you know what” for another coaching gig. And I’m sure he’ll get another chance (Montreal maybe???).

Pierre McGuire is making some real nice coin as the color analyst with TSN and NBC, not to mention a freelance gig with Sports Illustrated. But he would also give his left you know what to get back in a management position in the NHL.

And, if I were Pierre Lacroix, I would give McGuire a good, hard look for the Avs GM job. After all - can you name me anyone who has seen more NHL games in the last few years than McGuire has most likely? Can you name me a person who has has a more varied menu of personnel he’s spoken to in the last few years - among players and coaches and everybody else in hockey? It’s part of his job description to talk to everybody in the game, and I think it would be smart for any team to consider him.

Not to mention, McGuire does have previous NHL management experience. He’s got two Stanley Cup rings on his fingers, as a scout and assistant coach with Pittsburgh in 1991 and 1992, and he coached the Hartford Whalers in 1993-94.

Yeah, McGuire is outspoken - and that could be the No. 1 disqualification for him to get the Avs job. But if not in Colorado, McGuire deserves another shot at an NHL management gig. He lives and breathes hockey, and I think he’d do a great job. If I were doing the hiring for the Avs, I would have Pierre in my office pronto. I mean, why not?http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2009/04/17/why-not-pierre-mcguire/

drake17
04-18-2009, 01:40 PM
hell no not pierre he is a monster douche

T.O.Bombinators
04-18-2009, 06:41 PM
This, from yesterday’s Kingston (Ontario) Whig Standard (great paper name):
Matt Duchene of the Brampton Battalion won the Bobby Smith Trophy as the Ontario Hockey League’s scholastic player of the year yesterday.

Duchene, an 18-year-old from Haliburton, Ont., maintained an average of 85% over his six Grade 12 university prep classes this year. On the ice, Duchene had 31 goals and 48 assists in 57 games with the Battalion and is eligible for this year’s NHL entry draft.

No, you don’t need to be an Einstein to succeed as a player in hockey. But I’ll take the guy with a little more brains and just as much talent over the guy with nothing between his ears.

By the way, Duchene’s Battalion are off to a 2-0 series lead in the OHL’s Eastern Conference finals against Belleville. Duchene has scored in both games.http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2009/04/18/the-avalanches-likely-draft-pick-not-only-can-play-hes-wicked-smaaaht/

downsos
04-18-2009, 07:10 PM
I hope we draft Duchene he looks like he can be a stud!

T.O.Bombinators
04-18-2009, 07:15 PM
i think hes a 1 any eyar w/o tavares and hedman

T.O.Bombinators
04-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Nearly a week has passed since the firing of Avalanche general manager Francois Giguere. The most underplayed aspect of the decision was who made and announced it — Pierre Lacroix.

Lacroix, deservedly already in the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame for his efforts in shepherding the franchise through its spectacularly successful early seasons in Denver, still is the de facto owner of the Avalanche.

It is Stan Kroenke's property.

It still is Lacroix's team.

Lacroix went into semi-retirement three years ago, driven to do so by a health scare and his long-professed desire to step out of the day-to-day operations while he still was relatively young. But at least temporarily, he has stepped back in as more than an emeritus figurehead, and will be in hands-on control, at least until a new "structure" is announced.

It's not fun to watch anyone lose a job, but the train wreck that was the 2008-09 Avalanche, the decisions that helped cause the derailment, Giguere's puzzling mishandling of the salary cap, and even Giguere's maddening denial in his public pronouncements all made it virtually inevitable.

As I had written when the season was winding down, I thought it was possible that Lacroix would shove Giguere into a lesser role — how the titles shook down would have been almost irrelevant — but Lacroix decisively made the move and fired his one-time protege.

The part I found objectionable was Lacroix didn't acknowledge that some of the decisions and moves he made while general manager played a role in this slide. He didn't just throw Giguere under the bus, he backed the bus back over Giguere after he had run over him once.

The implication that this slide happened suddenly is partially defensible by looking at only the numbers, such as the Avalanche's huge slippage in the standings this season, to the No. 28 spot overall after three consecutive decent, not great, 95-point seasons.

But anyone paying attention understands the issues involved in the Avalanche collapse aren't confined to the last year or even the last three years under Giguere as GM. Even the trades made for short-term gain that helped the Avalanche win the Stanley Cup came with a price. But deals such as the one made the morning after Steve Moore's final NHL game — Derek Morris and the rights to Keith Ballard to Phoenix for Ossi Vaana- nen, Chris Gratton and a draft pick — were even more troublesome, and in this case compounded the error of trading Chris Drury.

Even when the Avalanche had high draft choices, they blew them in the early 2000s, and that's haunting the team to this day.

Lacroix, who deserves considerable gratitude for what he did to help energize this market and make hockey a big-time draw and participant sport in the region, should have been given the first crack to clean up the mess.

But that means stepping back in and running the franchise on a day-to-day and long-term basis, and not merely biding time before elevating someone in the organization into the GM's role. Although Craig Billington is a savvy hockey man and wouldn't be a bad choice, even that would come off as similar to the approach that was just repudiated.

Stan Kroenke should tell Lacroix he must either step in to try to further secure his legacy with a rescue and a turnaround, or accept the owner's thanks and an honorary title — president emeritus — and allow Kroenke Sports to hire the sort of strong and proven GM who likely would be reluctant to work under Lacroix on an organizational chart.

Neil Smith, the former Rangers and briefly Islanders GM, and recently fired, but widely respected, ex-Minnesota GM Doug Risebrough would be just two of the many possibilities. If that's the type of hire made, the new GM must be told he has the right to make the call on the future of coach Tony Granato. Either way. http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_12174748

T.O.Bombinators
04-20-2009, 07:20 PM
The thought of drafting Matt Duchene has had Avalanche fans mildly giddy. Sure, after the season we endured you could argue that we'd be giddy over a kick in the crotch.

But no so fast, Avs fans. John Tavares has been tankin' it up in the playoffs while Matt Duchene has been tearing it up. And now one independent scouting service, Redline Report, has Tavares dropping to #3, behind Victor Hedman and Matt Duchene.

I'd take Duchene over Tavares but I'm hoping Islander and Lightning scouts have already made up their minds. http://coloradoavalancheblog.com/2009/04/tavares-drops-to-3.html

downsos
04-21-2009, 03:32 AM
I would take both Duchene and Tavares. I don't want Hedman though. Even though Hedman looks like he could be a great Defenseman for years to come we need some offense in a bad way. Not to mention we also need a Goalie.

drake17
04-21-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm happy with any of the three myself

bahama0811
04-21-2009, 04:50 PM
At least we're not 4th. We will get a good player no matter what.

T.O.Bombinators
04-21-2009, 07:11 PM
we need everything

T.O.Bombinators
04-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Not much happening right now with the Avalanche GM search. That doesn’t mean Pierre Lacroix might not be finalizing a deal with someone right this second. But not a lot of phones seem to be ringing around the league, of guys who might be interested.

Jay Feaster still has not gotten a call of any kind since telling Lacroix eight days ago that he’d be VERY interested in the job. Pat Quinn hasn’t gotten a call. Doug Risebrough hasn’t gotten a call, and neither has Kevin Lowe.

The people who are still employed by the organization (Craig Billington, Michel Goulet, anybody else) are under strict orders not to say a word to the media right now. I mean, not a word. It is common knowledge around the Avs that anyone who breaks such an order - at least when it comes to the machinations of the GM search process - will be terminated.

I don’t agree with that, of course. I mean, somewhere along the line, the dissemination of hockey information became equated to that of nuclear secrets. It’s ridiculous. It’s absurd. It’s arrogance too, is what it is. It’s “We don’t need to talk to you little people.”

I have news for Pierre Lacroix and any other person in the hockey world: guys, you’re just not that important. You’re not. You are in the business of grown men trying to put a piece of hard rubber past other groups of grown men, into a net. This is not that important. It’s entertainment.

And here’s the thing that infuriates me as a fan of other teams who clam up about what they do, to the media: I PAY YOUR SALARIES! I want to know more about what I’M PAYING FOR! When teams think they don’t have to talk to the media, fine. But what they’re really doing is telling THE PEOPLE WHO PAY THEIR SALARIES that they’re not important to let know what’s going on, even a little bit.

It’s ridiculous. It’s absurd. I mean, why can’t Craig Billington be allowed to say something totally innocent, like, “Yeah, sure, I’m interested in the GM job.”? But when I’ve tried a couple of times to get him to say even that little tiny bit of what would figure to be “no duh” information, I am told he can’t say anything - and that everything has to be “cleared” with the team’s vice president of media relations, Jean Martineau.

Teams like the Avs don’t realize that they would do well with a little more information to the media. The more they want to tell people like me, the more free publicity they get in the media. It’s free advertising! Oh, and last I checked, the Avs seemed like they could use a little free publicity. Or, maybe those weren’t thousands of empty seats I saw at the Pepsi Center.http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2009/04/21/crickets/

T.O.Bombinators
04-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Most Avalanche observers feel that Pierre Lacroix will likely stay within the organization to fill the vacant GM spot because the Avalanche seem to think that the only people who know a lick about hockey are people who have somehow been involved with the Colorado Avalanche Organization, even though this philosophy means the Avalanche think Chris Simon is a better choice than Ken Holland for the General Manager position. However the Avs may need to stay within the orginizqation because no one outside of Colorado in their right mind would take the position. The Colorado Avalanche GM position is quickly becoming the least desirable front-office position in all of hockey, possibly even worse than Brian Burke's personal rickshaw butler/intern, Garth Snow's Math tutor, or Brett Hull's polysyllabic-monosyllabic translator.
http://jibblescribbits.blogspot.com/

tnigro77
04-21-2009, 07:33 PM
wow avs are in an awesome spot. they are looking at duchene right now which i would love it's an awesome 3rd pick if people are talking him going in the top two and if he does go we will get JT or hedman. i love it!

T.O.Bombinators
04-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Developing the story more, but Neil Smith’s name is coming up in some chatter about the Avs’ GM job.
I think Smith is a worthy candidate, and I know Pierre Lacroix has a cordial relationship with him - despite some tough business dealings from the past. Smith’s Rangers always used to sign away Lacroix’s unrestricted free agents (Theo Fleury, Val Kamensky, Mike Keane, Sly Lefebvre) and let’s not forget the day in 1997 when the Rangers surprised the Avs with the three-year, $21 million offer sheet for Joe Sakic (with $15 mil up front as a signing bonus). When the Avs matched the offer to keep Our Joe, former Avs owner Charlie Lyons sent the Rangers a framed photo of Nelson Rockefeller giving a crowd the finger (Lyons used to work for Rockefeller).

Smith, of course, had the Islanders GM job in 2006 - for about five weeks. He also worked briefly in the Stars organization.

Smith’s name naturally comes up with every GM opening, and I’d still say he’s something of a longshot. But I do believe he’s being considered.http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2009/04/22/neil-smith/
*Update: A source with recent conversation with Smith said he hasn’t gotten a call from the Avs as of yet. Doesn’t seem like Neil will be working in Denver any time soon.

T.O.Bombinators
04-23-2009, 12:39 AM
just saw those mtl-bos hi-lites...get on the phone pierre lacroix:pray:

T.O.Bombinators
04-23-2009, 07:19 PM
If the Avs get Tavares or Duchene, will Wojtek Wolski be traded?

I bet the answer would be yes.
For a couple of reasons:
1. If the Avs get a centerman like a Tavares or Duchene, they’ve got a 1-2 center punch of Stastny and Tavares/Duchene for, conceivably, the next 10 years.
Wolski, though he slipped badly in the final month, showed that he’s probably a bit better player as a center than a left winger. He’s not a grinding, physical-type of player. He’s got more of a centerman’s personality - poke-checking at loose pucks, carrying the puck, etc. - and he showed more life to his game, I thought, as a center. I know I saw more life from him, personality-wise, after he became a center. He just likes playing it better, and his mood picked up considerably.
2. The Avs have little cap flexibility at the moment, and Wolski is probably one of the few guys on the team who would bring something decent in return - and free up some decent cap space with his departure.
He’s set to make $3.1 million next season, though his cap hit is $2.8 million.
Yes, any established players Wolski would bring in return would cost money, so the savings might not be significant. But maybe you get a good draft pick or two for him and go that route? With Stan Kroenke’s “rebuild” utterance of a few weeks ago, this could indeed all the Avs would look to want for the Baron.

If not Wolski, the other guy most likely to be dealt, and who could bring something decent in return, is Marek Svatos ($2.05 million cap hit).

Given the Avs’ relatively better depth in the organization with defensemen (Shattenkirk, Cohen, etc.) than forwards, I think the team secretly hopes a Tavares or Duchene is available at No. 3. With yesterday’s Red Line Report now putting Duchene ahead of Tavares - but Tavares still having more marquee appeal probably - the danger is they would now go 1-2 in the draft, leaving Victor Hedman at No. 3.

Still, Hedman wouldn’t be bad for a booby prize. Not bad at all.http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2009/04/23/if-the-avs-get-tavares-or-duchene-will-wojtek-wolski-be-traded/

tnigro77
04-25-2009, 12:04 AM
i fell we will be trading alot of players this offeseason. with duchene or JT or offense is stacked these are fowards we would have that i think all around 3rd line quality or better: Galiardi, Jones, Hensick, Guite, McLeod, Sakic, Smyth, Staz, Wolski, Stewart, Svatos, hejduk, duchene/JT.
we also have mcormick, tucker, and possibly lappy and stoa.

I'd be so pissed if we traded wolski but i think we should try to trade and dump some salary so we can get a goaile through FA or the Trade.

T.O.Bombinators
04-25-2009, 12:36 AM
wolski was either hot or cold..and i notice cold more often than hot..but his shoot outs were sweet to watch

tnigro77
04-25-2009, 11:17 PM
true maybe im so agianst it just because he's my favorite player i might be ok with it if we got alot back. do you think atlanta would take wolski and mayb another forward or one of our goalies for their 4th pick and lehtonen.

T.O.Bombinators
04-26-2009, 02:14 AM
4th overall??no..waddell would have to be high but u never know..another option could be giguere because hiller has clearly surpassed him as no.1 right now and i think they dont want a 5 or 6M dollar backup

T.O.Bombinators
04-27-2009, 07:27 PM
i had a crazy dream last night...toronto traded up for no.1 pick and picked ryan ellis tampa picked hedman and that left u know who for colorado!

T.O.Bombinators
04-27-2009, 07:29 PM
If the Avs want to become fast track their rebuild, there really is only one way: trade Wojtek Wolski.

Wolski, though inconsistent last year, is our best asset to move. He's got the skills, the experience and the potential to play on the first line of a lot of clubs.

There really is only one way to get the Avs competitive and that's to get an upgrade between the pipes. In order to do it, we'll have to give up something extremely valuable in the process.

Smyth, Stastny, Hejduk would all bring a great return but the three look to be our first line of the rebuild. Liles, Foote both have No Trade Clauses and the rest of our roster isn't worth much, outside of Wolski.

Wolski is a magician in the shootout, proven to be at least 40-50 point scorer and has an established defensive game. In other words, a complete center.

The Avs need a goalie. Peter Budaj and Andrew Raycroft wont cut it and it would be a dangerous assumption (about as dangerous as the one that Budaj can be a number one goalie) to think that Tyler Weiman, Jason Bacashihua or Trevor Cann will be able to step in and fill the void. No, the Avs need an established goalie.

In the search for one, a few names come to the top:

1. Kari Lehtonen- I have been a huge supporter of Lehtonen since he entered the league. He's 6'4 215, fast, agile and has good positioning. He also has above average puckhandling skills. He's also an RFA this offseason. On top of that Ilya Kovalchuk has come on record asking Atlanta GM Don Waddell to get him some players to play with, otherwise he'll be gone once his contract is up. The only downside to Lehtonen is that he has been pretty injury prone but given what we have now, I'll take the risk.

If I were (insert new the Avs' new gm name here), I would put this offer on the table:

Wojtek Wolski, Marek Svatos and Brett Clark for Kari Lehtonen and a late round pick

The thrashers get a first line center, a second line scoring right wing and a capable defenseman. The Avs get a goalie and another pick to further our rebuild.

2. Scott Clemmensen- The savior of the New Jersey Devils' season just might be the savior of the Avs. He is just about as solid as they come. He has great size and is very mobile. However, it might be harder to wrench him from the Devils. I don't know what it would take but it will be really hard to pull off.

3. J.S. Giguere- Not my ideal choice but it is a choice nonetheless. He's a proven goalie, can win in the playoffs and steal games. He's had a tough year but that's never stopped the Avs before (Roy, Theodore, Raycroft). I'd rate our chances of getting him as "good."

Trade would probably involve Wolski, Svatos and a pick for him. I wouldn't be overjoyed if we acquired him but I wouldn't be pissed.

4. Jaroslav Halak- The Avs might just be really inclined to trade for him. There were rumors swirling through last season that we might be putting a trade together for him but nothing happened. He's small, about the size of Jose Theodore but plays the angles well and is quick to recover, allowing him to make spectacular saves. A trade for him would have to include a defenseman, Wolski and another winger.

As you can see, Wolski is going to have to be a key piece to any trade. Yes, I know that he is valuable but he is also expendable. Looking at the draft, the chances are good we are going to draft Matt Duchene who would be able to step in and play on the second line. If he can't we still have T.J. Galiardi Avalanche Jersey in the HockeyBuzz Store' href='http://shop.hockeybuzz.com/colorado-avalanche.php'>T.J. Galiardi who showed considerable prowess at both facets of the game.

For certain, a large part of me wants the Avs to keep Wolski but a larger part still wants the Avs to have reliable goaltending. To get B, I realize that we much sacrifice A.http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Aaron-Musick/Fast-tracking-the-rebuild/122/20922

downsos
04-27-2009, 10:57 PM
I just have this gut feeling that Wolski will shine on a team that would use him properly.

T.O.Bombinators
05-05-2009, 07:51 PM
As usual, Pierre Lacroix is talking as freely as a guard at Big Ben, about his vacant GM position or anything else.
But I’m hearing a few, let’s call them “whispers”, that Pittsburgh assistant GM Chuck Fletcher is somebody Lacroix might be interested in at least talking to. While I don’t believe any formal contact has been made between Fletcher and the Avs, it wouldn’t be a total shock if they talk at some point.

Every year there are a couple of hot new names believed to be the next big thing as a GM, in any sport, and Fletcher seems to be acquiring one of those reputations. He has helped build three franchises into solid teams - Florida in the mid-to-late ’90s, Anaheim from 2002-06 and the Penguins the last couple of seasons.

Fletcher, by the way, is the son of longtime hockey coach and executive Cliff Fletcher. Cliff Fletcher has a good relationship with Lacroix, too, helping Lacroix with the recommendation that he hire Marc Crawford as Quebec coach in 1994 and he also played a role in Joel Quenneville starting out as a coach in the Toronto and Quebec organ-i-zations.

Otherwise, it’s been pretty quiet around here. Lacroix will not do interviews of any kind - always preferring to keep his fans and paying customers in the dark about everything. Whatevs - it’s their team and their business, not mine.
I still hear Neil Smith’s name as a possibility, but Smith said recently he hadn’t been contacted by the Avs.

The Minnesota Wild also are believed to be interested in Fletcher - and in fact Fletcher may be interviewing with Wild personnel as we speak.

It’s still my hunch that Lacroix will go with an in-house kind of guy as the replacement for Francois Giguere - and one of the reasons I think that is because Tony Granato is still around as his coach. Hiring a total outsider would likely result in a very awkward situation, as the new GM would want - presumably - his own guy as his first coach. Would Lacroix really keep Granato hanging around this long, only to let him get fired by a brand new GM? That would be a very cold thing to do - and it’s not the usual M.O. of how the Avs do business.

My bet, based on talks, sources and a question or two posed to the magic 8-Ball in my office, is that Craig Billington will be the next GM of the Colorado Avalanche.

But keep in mind, too, how the Avs worded their press release when Giguere was fired; they said there would be a new management “structure” for the next regime. I’m speculating now, but that word was used over and over by team staff in discussing anything to do with the situation going forward, and it’s quite possible they could have some kind of GM-by-committee kind of thing in the works.

Maybe Billington and Michel Goulet are named “Co-GMs.” Maybe Goulet is called something like “Manager General” and Billington is named “Managing General Executive.” Maybe Lacroix takes the title of “Lord Overseer of Managerial Structural Apparatus” In other words, maybe the Avs will try to invent some new kind of management arrangement, other than the standard organ-i-zational depth chart.dp

downsos
05-05-2009, 10:28 PM
I would like to see Bills get the GM job. This guy loves the Avs. And it hurt him to see them this bad. I believe he will do what it takes to get us back on top.

tnigro77
05-06-2009, 07:56 PM
i had a crazy dream last night...toronto traded up for no.1 pick and picked ryan ellis tampa picked hedman and that left u know who for colorado!

thatd b awesome but why would they trade up and pick him? i havent heard much about him soo...?

T.O.Bombinators
05-07-2009, 12:07 AM
i dunno..ii said it was ****ed up

T.O.Bombinators
05-12-2009, 12:40 AM
I swear, this story just keeps getting better.
The hot new rumor out of Quebec tonight is that former Avalanche star (I love saying that, to tick off Bruins fans) Ray Bourque is shopping for a house in the “old capital” of Quebec City.
Why? Because he’s going to take over as coach of the Remparts, the QMJHL team that still has Patrick Roy officially as its coach, but who may be the next coach of the Avalanche, who still has Tony Granato officially listed as coach.

The French sports TV network, RDS, is reporting the Bourque rumors. What is true is that Bourque’s youngest son, Ryan, is a 2008 seventh-round draftee of the Remparts and is expected to play there this season.

Now, Bourque looking for a house could simply be because he wants a place to crash after watching his son play - or he wants to bequeath it to Ryan himself.

But everybody loves a good rumor, and this is certainly a good one.

I do know that Roy and Bourque are close friends. Everybody knows that, actually.

I’ll have a column about the Roy/Avs situation in the paper tomorrow. There are things I know that I wish I could report, but can’t. It’s not that I’m keeping secret that I know what will happen next - I wouldn’t do that to you, dear readers.

But let’s just say, there’s an awful lot of backroom intrigue associated with this story. Maybe it’ll all come out in a book some day. http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2009/05/11/ray-bourque-to-take-roys-old-job-with-remparts/

T.O.Bombinators
05-12-2009, 12:40 AM
Before I begin, I apologize for my absence. It has been too long since I put a new blog up. I promise to you, the Avs readers, I will not become as inconsistent as Chopra was.

While I'm sure I speak for the Avs' nation in saying that I've heard white noise that's been louder than the noise coming out of Avalanche camp, there should be news coming really soon.

Tomorrow will mark one month since the Avs' season ended and almost a month since Francois Giguere lost his GM job. Since then, the Avs have signed two players to entry-level contracts (great move, see below), brought in Patrick Roy for an interview but other than that, nothing has really happened.

In the absence of news, I've been forced to try and predict what will happen over the next month. I'm not saying I'm for or against any of these moves, just thinking of possibilities.

General Manager

I have a strong feeling that the Avs are waiting on a team to end it's season before deciding who they want as GM. Last year, about this time, they blew their load too soon and hired Tony Granato as the head coach. With that stain in recent memory, I would think Pierre Lacroix will assess all options before naming a new GM.

When all is said and done I think the Avs'll have two GM's: one for contracts, another for player movement. The guy for contracts I'm not totally certain on but my gut tells me it'll be Cliff Fletcher of the Pittsburgh Penguins. He's been there for a team rebuilding and would most certainly help the Avs rebuild. The other GM, I am almost positive on is Craig Billington.

His work hasn't been noticed yet, but it will within three years. He's been in charge of drafting and developing the Avs' prospects. In doing this, Billington has been around the world watching our prospects and the other team's prospects, a quality that would be great to have in the next GM. I don't expect any sort of news on this until sometime during the Conference finals, maybe later if the Penguins advance.

However, for those of you who might be worried about the Avs' draft, I bet that Billington is already handling it. In the absense of a GM, he is the one who will handle the draft, whether or not there is a new GM. We'll be fine for the draft, but we'll need a new GM for free agency, if we decide to be active that is.

The GM will be solved within a month, at the latest but it should be followed by a shakeup in the organization

Coach

Patrick Roy coming in to meet with Lacroix is not coincidence. He's the next coach, I'm 90% certain. Roy and Lacroix go back to their days as player and agent. Lacroix once brought Roy in to help the Avs win the cup in 96 and I think he'll bring him in to put more energy and passion on the bench, as well as a few more butts in the seats.

What will happen to Granato though, you might ask. Well, I've got that figured out. No I do not think he'll be fired, nor will he be demoted to to Assistant Coach again. No, I think he'll be reassigned to Lake Erie to be an assistant there, behind Sylvain Lefebvre. Then, we'll promote Joe Sacco to the assistant coach and let Roy pick his defensive coach (yes we'll let Barr and Cloutier go, finally).

What I think will happen, is that we'll have a new General Manager and shortly thereafter, we'll have a new coaching staff and start building toward the 2009-2010 season, beginning at the draft.

I know the absence of news is frustrating, Avs nation, but it wont be much longer until we have an Avalanche of news.

Musick notes

I am loving the playoff hockey right now. Each game is really entertaining to watch. Screw Christmas, THIS is the most wonderful time of the year. The only thing I would change is to make the officiating more consistent in the games. Otherwise, absolutely wonderful hockey being played right now.

The Avs announced that they signed both Trevor Cann and Cameron Gaunce to entry level contracts. I like both of these moves a lot. Cann will give Lake Erie a solid goalie and give the Avs the option of bringing up Tyler Weiman to test him at the NHL level. When you think Cann, think Tim Thomas type of goalie. Gaunce gives the Avs a two-way defenseman with a hard, accurate shot, something our power play has lacked since Blake. As long as he's improved his skating, I don't see any reason he doesn't make the NHL roster. Both these players, though, are a testament to the work that Craig Billington has done for the Avs.http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Aaron-Musick/What-will-the-Avs-do-about-their-GM-situation/122/21159

IBleedPurple
05-12-2009, 03:43 PM
As long as Roy isn't sending our players out to retalitate like he did to his son, I'm for the move to make him HC. Actually, I'm for it anyway, because Granato just plain sucks.

T.O.Bombinators
05-12-2009, 10:47 PM
pretty sure he wouldnt do that again..but against the wings hell ya

drake17
05-14-2009, 11:04 AM
i wouldnt mind doing it gainst the nuckleheads either

T.O.Bombinators
05-14-2009, 07:43 PM
this is great
http://jibblescribbits.blogspot.com/2009/05/its-cool-to-hate.html

tnigro77
05-15-2009, 06:19 PM
o thats priceless that so funny and true i love it.

downsos
05-15-2009, 11:34 PM
this is great
http://jibblescribbits.blogspot.com/2009/05/its-cool-to-hate.html

Awesome, just awesome

T.O.Bombinators
05-21-2009, 07:26 PM
Judging by the tea leaves I’m seeing (or something like that), I’d say it’s not looking good Ian Laperriere will be back in an Avalanche uniform in 2009-10.
Of course, when/if the Avs ever name a general manager, maybe that will change.
But even after that happens, behind the scenes right now, it’s not looking good. His agent, Pat Brisson, certainly doesn’t seem too optimistic. The Avs simply have too much money tied up in other players, and Lappy is definitely not looking for a pay cut to stay. He made $1.15 million last year, or less than half what Darcy Tucker is making, on average, on his two-year deal with the Avs.

Only $10-12 million to sign 9-10 other players, so that just doesn’t leave enough for guys like Lappy. So, Avs fans, every time you see Tucker skate next season, it can remind you that the extra money it’s taking to keep him here could have been used to keep Lappy here.

Have a nice day…http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2009/05/21/not-looking-good-on-lappy/

:(

T.O.Bombinators
05-28-2009, 07:21 PM
ell, there wasn’t one, that’s why. A little miscommunication between the Avs and myself led me to post, briefly, on the blog yesterday that there would be some kind of announcement regarding the new management structure. Turns out the Avs just wanted to announce that their scouts had all met in Denver recently to discuss the draft - the first time they’d all met in Denver like that, apparently.

Anyway, we’re still in waiting mode to see what the Avs’ next step will be. Will Tony Granato still be the coach? Who will the new GM be? Will Joe Sakic retire? Does Patrick Roy’s turn-down of the Avs’ offer mean they won’t get that good Swedish goalie?

Good questions all, and ones we don’t have the definite answers to yet. All the Avs’ scouts and - I believe Craig Billington - are in Toronto right now for the NHL scouting combine. They’re getting good looks at the top prospects, and interviewing them as well.

My money remains on Matt Duchene with the third pick, but there is some speculation Tampa Bay might want to take a guy like him and deal a guy like Vincent Lecavalier or Martin St. Louis, and just rebuild with the pick and whatever they get for Vinny or Marty. If Tavares and Duchene go 1-2 in the draft, that would presumably mean the Avs would be “stuck” with Victor Hedman with the third pick. I really think the Avs want a dynamic forward more than a defenseman, but Hedman would not be a bad booby prize at all.

The shock waves of Roy’s decision not to come to the team still are being felt everywhere around the team. Granato does not want to speak to the media right now, so we’re still a bit in the dark as to what he’s feeling over this whole episode. Not great, I’m sure. But he’s a professional and will do whatever he has to do.dp

avsman05
05-30-2009, 12:20 AM
They should have kept Quenville.

drake17
05-31-2009, 01:20 AM
they should hire ;laviolette

T.O.Bombinators
05-31-2009, 03:35 AM
granato will be coach until we get a new GM which wont be soon imo..im guessing PL will be the Gm for the next year

IBleedPurple
06-02-2009, 03:40 PM

Agreed. We may have been a disappointment in the 2nd round of the playoffs, but this season we were just a huge disappointment to everyone.

Can someone explain why Tucker may be on our roster next year? Would getting rid of him still count against the cap perhaps?

I personally do not want Hedman at the 3rd pick. Not going to dwell on it his entire career if we get him, but we need a scorer like Duchene.

downsos
06-02-2009, 04:11 PM

No, he was a horrible coach for us, the only reason why he sniffed the playoffs last season was because Theo found his game long enough for him to collect that huge contract elsewhere. If Theo didn't heat up we never would've made the playoffs last season and Q would probably be in some studio analyzing the finals hoping he'd hear from his agent that some team would want him. The only thing Q does right is leave a team when they are at their worst.

The reason why we sucked this year is because Granato learned every bad trait possible from Coach Q combined with waiting all summer to spend 6 million on a guy that was injured for most of the year while not picking up anything of value.

Q looks great now because he coached a great young team with 2 number 1 goalies. Granato looks worse now because he coached a bad old team with 2 backups goalies.

avsman05
06-02-2009, 10:15 PM
No, he was a horrible coach for us, the only reason why he sniffed the playoffs last season was because Theo found his game long enough for him to collect that huge contract elsewhere. If Theo didn't heat up we never would've made the playoffs last season and Q would probably be in some studio analyzing the finals hoping he'd hear from his agent that some team would want him. The only thing Q does right is leave a team when they are at their worst.

The reason why we sucked this year is because Granato learned every bad trait possible from Coach Q combined with waiting all summer to spend 6 million on a guy that was injured for most of the year while not picking up anything of value.

Q looks great now because he coached a great young team with 2 number 1 goalies. Granato looks worse now because he coached a bad old team with 2 backups goalies.

He got St. Louis into the playoffs as well and they had a mediocre team. I just think he was given the boot way to soon they need some cohesiveness with all our old studs retiring and being traded away.

downsos
06-02-2009, 10:40 PM
He got St. Louis into the playoffs as well and they had a mediocre team. I just think he was given the boot way to soon they need some cohesiveness with all our old studs retiring and being traded away.

They were young, not mediocre. And they never got all that far in the playoffs either. He wasn't fired, he just left the team. Either way, it was time for him to go. He wouldn't have made us any better last season anyways.

avsman05
06-02-2009, 11:04 PM
They were young, not mediocre. And they never got all that far in the playoffs either. He wasn't fired, he just left the team. Either way, it was time for him to go. He wouldn't have made us any better last season anyways.

honestly i wish they would have lost 1 more game so we would probably be the ones with the #1 pick.

downsos
06-02-2009, 11:09 PM
honestly i wish they would have lost 1 more game so we would probably be the ones with the #1 pick.

We'll still get a great player.

avsman05
06-10-2009, 07:34 PM
We'll still get a great player.

definately but we are pushed into the last 1 left instead of deciding which one we want to pick.

So what would everyone say to signing Biron?

downsos
06-10-2009, 11:17 PM
If we can afford it I'd do it.

avsman05
06-11-2009, 12:45 AM
If we can afford it I'd do it.

ya i agree if we cant pick up that gustavvson i think we need to spend 5-6 mil and get a good minder.

T.O.Bombinators
06-11-2009, 01:39 AM
my list is

1)The Monster
2)Harding
3)Giguere
4a)Biron
4b)Anderson
5)Weiman

T.O.Bombinators
06-12-2009, 12:07 AM
I’ll have a story in tomorrow’s print edition about Ian Laperriere, and his days as a member of the Avalanche being over.
I’ll save the details until then, but it’s definitely over for Lappy in Colorado - barring a miracle. The sides are miles apart on contract terms, and it’s not going to be bridged by July 1. I’ll weigh in more on this soon, but let’s hear your thoughts:
It’s too bad, as Lappy is a real warrior and team leader. Yeah, he’s also 35 years old and the Avs are in a rebuilding mode. But it’s a loss for the team, and the fans.http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2009/06/11/lappy-out-of-here/

downsos
06-12-2009, 03:49 AM
^That sucks, but when you do things poorly with the salary cap you can no longer do what is best for this team PR wise or Fan wise, but budget wise.

avsman05
06-12-2009, 04:19 PM
That's too bad that we have to let him go. Great to have ya here pappy:)

T.O.Bombinators
06-13-2009, 12:14 AM
Lappy was the heart and soul of the team it sucks we have idiots in charge. And the monster is starting his tour of his four cities. And I won't be on much cuz my computercrashed and I'm on my iPod right now

downsos
06-13-2009, 02:22 AM
^Agreed. Sucks to hear about your computer. I'll help out as much as I can getting news on here.

downsos
06-13-2009, 02:35 AM
Ian Laperriere - W Jun. 12 - 1:30 pm et

Ian Laperriere has reportedly rejected a one-year offer made by the Colorado Avalanche.
Colorado's offer would reportedly pay Laperriere less than the $1.15 million he made this season. Laperriere, who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer, attracted significant interest from playoff contenders at the trade deadline, but the Avalanche held onto him with the hope of re-signing him. However, Colorado already has close to $44 million committed to 14 players for the 2009-10 season with the cap expected to dip below it's current level of $56.7 million. Stay tuned.

rotoworld.com (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NHL&id=415)

T.O.Bombinators
06-13-2009, 07:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Sq5uVgDWI

avsman05
06-13-2009, 08:18 PM
The Stars are still very interested in signing free agent goalie Jonas Gustavsson.

Dallas, along with Toronto are the frontrunners to ink the Swedish Elite League netminder. Money won't be an issue as Gustavsson will subject to the $2.25 million rookie salary cap. The Stars believe they have a pretty good chance luring Gustavsson to Dallas as he is a friend and former teammate of current Star forward Fabian Brunnstrom. Whether he signs in Dallas or Toronto, Gustavsson will likely start the season in the AHL or as a backup. However, he does stand a very good chance of becoming a starting NHL netminder by the 2010-11 season. Jun. 13 - 10:09 am et

So Avies are out of the chase it looks like for the Monster.

T.O.Bombinators
06-14-2009, 12:49 AM
wheres it from??but im pretty sure gus has either just started or is starting his tour this week so its probably from a homer source

downsos
06-14-2009, 12:50 AM
Dallas is always homer.

avsman05
06-14-2009, 01:07 AM
That article was from the Dallas Morning News. It's posted on the Tornoto Maple Leafs page on Rotoworld.com

T.O.Bombinators
06-17-2009, 10:48 PM
I’ll have a brief story in the paper tomorrow about the strong likelihood that Adam Deadmarsh will return to the Avs in some kind of management/coaching capacity. It won’t be for the Avs’ vacant second assistant job though.http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2009/06/17/deader-back-to-avs/

T.O.Bombinators
06-20-2009, 12:36 AM
The Colorado Avalanche and forward Cody McLeod have agreed to a three-year deal worth $3.1 million.

In 79 games with the Avalanche this season, the gritty McLeod netted 15 goals, and 20 total points, while adding 162 penalty minutes.

The contract will see the 6'2, 210-pound native of Binscarth, Manitoba make $900,000, $1 million, and $1.2 million per year, respectively. tsn

T.O.Bombinators
06-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Bob McKenzie is the best-connected NHL reporter there is - and I don’t like saying that, because I’m uber-competitive and would rather gouge my eyes out than credit some other media outlet for a scoop regarding the Avalanche or anything else I’m covering.

But that’s the fact of the matter. McKenzie has been covering the NHL since the early ’80s, back when I was just starting college in New Hampshire, and he’s the most well-connected guy in the hockey media game. He’s also a very nice guy, who hasn’t let the success of his move to TV go to his head at all. He’s a newspaper guy at heart I believe, which is why he’s so good!

Anyway, McKenzie just said on a live chat on TSN.ca that he believes the Islanders will take Victor Hedman at No. 1 Friday. I don’t believe Bob would say that if he didn’t have some good inside skinny from someone inside the Islanders, so this is HUGE and would really overturn the apple cart of expectations.

The Islanders are planning a massive draft party at the Nassau Mausoleum and if the message boards are to be taken seriously, the fans REALLY want the Isles to take John Tavares. Can you just hear the boos now, if they don’t get what they want?

Thing is, Tampa Bay REALLY WANTS Hedman at No. 2. They absolutely need defense, and insiders there have told me that they will take Hedman for sure if he’s available.

So the question is: who would the Avs get at No. 3 if the Isles really do as McKenzie believes? Could they really wind up with John Tavares - the guy unanimously ranked at No. 1 by a panel of TSN scouts? All I can say is, I’m glad I’ll be in Montreal Friday night. This could be some night.

Oh, and one more thing: I talked with the Avs’ chief scout, Rick Pracey, yesterday and he said “I actually think we have a very tough choice to make at No. 3.” I think he said that assuming Tavares and Hedman go 1-2 in order. But if Hedman and Duchene go 1-2 instead, I don’t think the Avs would have a very tough choice at all. It would be John Tavares in a heartbeat.http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2009/06/23/bob-mckenzie-thinks-the-islanders-will-take-hedman-at-no-1/

T.O.Bombinators
06-25-2009, 02:27 AM
The Denver Post's Colorado Avalanche beat writer Adrian Dater was interviewed on the June 22nd, 2009 edition of NHL Live! with E.J. Hradek and Deb Placey and he stated that he believes that either Martin Biron or Ty Conklin will become the next starter for the Avalanche.

Martin Biron was originally acquired by the Philadelphia Flyers for a second round pick in 2007 and has been the team's starter since. He was inconsistent throughout his Flyer career and the team has decided to move on by signing free agent goalie Ray Emery.

Subsequently, Biron is not expected to be retained and will hit the open market on July 1st.

Ty Conklin's NHL career looked all but over in the 2006 Stanley Cup Finals when he coughed up the puck behind the net to Carolina Hurricanes' captain Rod Brind'Amour with 31.1 seconds left, allowing him to score the game winning goal into an empty net.

Conklin returned to the NHL in the 2007-08 season following injuries to Marc-Andre Fleury and Dany Sabourin in Pittsburgh. He would hold the starting position until Fleury's return from injury.

Conklin then spent this past season sharing time with Chris Osgood in Detroit.

Of note, Conklin has played in both Winter Classics and has been in the Stanley Cup Finals three times, all losses.

Comments: Another option could be Nikolai Khabibulin. The Avalanche need goaltending badly and cannot wait until next summer when the likes of Roberto Luongo, Marty Turco, and Evgeni Nabokov could hit the market.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/204300-adrian-dater-martin-biron-or-ty-conklin-the-next-avalanche-starter

downsos
06-25-2009, 03:54 AM
I would love to get Conklin. He would be a reliable stop-gap to next year for The Monster to take over :)

IBleedPurple
06-25-2009, 04:12 PM
I would love to get Conklin. He would be a reliable stop-gap to next year for The Monster to take over :)

Agreed that he would be a good one year solution, provided Monster comes here.

I'm still thinking of our pick Friday, hoping we don't end up with Hedman. I'll be mad for weeks.

downsos
06-26-2009, 04:24 PM
^Even if we don't get Monster Nabakov, Luongo, and Turco are free agents next year and I'd take them over anybody this year besides the Monster.

T.O.Bombinators
06-26-2009, 09:06 PM
anderosn or harding couldnt be that bad too

ksneil2000
06-29-2009, 01:14 AM
i say super yay to nabokov who apparently might be on the block
yay to biron, lehtonen, gustavson or whatever the eff his name is, josh harding
i'm completely against anderson or conklin

bahama0811
06-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Cody McCormick will not be back with the Avalanche. He was not given a qualifying offer by the Avalanche, to retain his rights, so he becomes an unrestricted free agent Wednesday.

Cody was/is a good kid who always worked hard for the Avs. Let’s wish him the best, Av-Aholics.

Denver Post (http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2009/06/29/goodbye-cody-mccormick/)

downsos
07-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Lappy signed with the Flyers. 3 years/1.17 a year. We should've resigned him. We could afford that. We spent more on Budaj!

T.O.Bombinators
07-02-2009, 12:37 AM
thanks for covering for me..first day with internet in a while..ill move it to a new thread

downsos
07-02-2009, 01:26 AM
No problem dude.

T.O.Bombinators
07-11-2009, 03:34 AM
He was the captain of the high-profile Minnesota Golden Gophers and the Western Collegiate Hockey Association's leading scorer. Ryan Stoa, however, has been somewhat overlooked in the wake of the Avalanche's many recent high-profile player comings and goings.

That doesn't seem to bother Stoa, but he hopes to make a name for himself next season with the Avs.

"Of course, it's anybody's goal to want to play in the NHL, and that will be mine," Stoa said Friday at the Avs' camp. "But I have to make it first and show I belong."

A 6-foot-3, 220-pound left wing, Stoa led the WCHA with 36 points (17 goals) in his junior season. After the Gophers were eliminated from NCAA title contention, he signed a two-year contract with the Avalanche and has taken part this week in rookie development camp.

With his size, Stoa can play a physical game but also can make plays with the puck and will do anything the team asks next season.

"We'll have to see what kind of role they might have in mind for me, but if I have to block shots or kill penalties or whatever, I'll do it," said Stoa, 22, who played some center his freshman season.

Stoa could have played at Minnesota as a fifth- year senior but opted to turn pro when the Avs offered him a contract. He missed all but two games of the 2007-08 season because of a knee injury. At the time, the injury seemed like a devastating setback for his career, but it might turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Stoa was given some unofficial coaching duties by the Gophers staff, and he learned a lot about himself and the game.

"I had to take a step back and see things from a different perspective," he said. "In the end, it might have paid some dividends for me, but it's still something that was tough at the time. I wouldn't want to do it again."

With Joe Sakic's retirement and the departures of forwards such as Ryan Smyth, Ian Laperriere, Ben Guite and Tyler Arnason, there is a real opportunity for Stoa and other rookie forwards to make the big club this fall. That was rarely the case in the past.

"I'm excited, but at the same time, I know I have a lot of work ahead of me and can't take anything for granted. I'm not going to go into camp expecting anything from anybody," he said. http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_12814173

T.O.Bombinators
07-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Tanguay is going to get the last big paycheck out there it appears.. I have updated him on the rumor chart and currently the two Florida teams are making a big push according to sources in Montreal. Meanwhile, several Avalanche players are canvassing management for his return to Colorado.

eklund

IBleedPurple
07-14-2009, 09:12 PM
Can we afford Tanguay? I'd like to sign him for sure, he is still a playmaker.

ksneil2000
07-14-2009, 10:49 PM
we have about 11 mill to sign 4 players so its doable..but the guys we pick up after that are gonna be low low low priced

T.O.Bombinators
07-15-2009, 01:40 AM
dater is 100% sure that tanguay is not going to the avs

Let me tell some here a secret of the agent business: you spread signing rumors to raise the offers for your client. Tanguay/Avs exhibit A

That is just not the case. Tanguay will not be an Av. PERIOD. (lol)

from his twitter page

T.O.Bombinators
07-16-2009, 04:58 PM
Getting to know darren haydar (http://www.milehighhockey.com/2009/7/16/951487/getting-to-know-you-darren-haydar)

T.O.Bombinators
07-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Biggest potential steal: Craig Anderson

His NHL career thus far was spent in obscurity as a backup on mediocre teams in Chicago and Florida, but more than a few observers believe Anderson has what it takes to become a quality starting goalie in the NHL. Last season with the Panthers he had a respectable 15-7-5 record, with a .924 save percentage and three shutouts. That attracted the Colorado Avalanche, inking Anderson to a two-year contract at $1.8 million per season. The starting goaltender role with the Avs is Anderson's for the taking and if he can play up to his potential, the 28-year-old could emerge as perhaps the biggest steal in this summer's free-agent market.http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/pgStory?contentId=9829506#sport=NHL&photo=9826144

T.O.Bombinators
07-22-2009, 07:12 PM
The Colorado Avalanche Hockey Club announced today that it has signed forward prospect Brandon Yip to an entry-level contract.

Yip, 24, spent the past four years at Boston University (Hockey East), where he totaled 108 points (45g/63a) in 139 career games. As a senior in 2008-09, he helped the Terriers capture their fifth national championship by posting 43 points (20g/23a) in 45 contests. The 6-foot-1, 180-pound right wing finished second on BU’s scoring chart in goals and fourth in points last season.
“Brandon had a very strong year at Boston University and wrapped up his collegiate career by serving as a leader on a championship team,” said Avalanche General Manager Greg Sherman. “He has developed very well over the past four seasons and is ready to begin his pro career.”

A native of Vancouver, B.C., Yip was Colorado’s seventh selection (eighth round, 239th overall) in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. He was named Hockey East Rookie of the Year following the 2005-06 campaign after leading all conference freshmen in scoring with 31 points (9g/22a) in 39 contests.http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=451173

IBleedPurple
07-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Good news on Anderson, hopefully he'll emerge as solid, and we won't be stuck looking for a goalie next year. Budaj is ok as a backup, but I'm not a fan of a goalie carousel.

Hopefully we get Anderson the starting time he needs, and stick with him in his low moments. This should be a perfect season for that to happen.

ksneil2000
07-22-2009, 09:23 PM
i dislike this anderson signing even more seeing as biron only got 1.4 a season

T.O.Bombinators
08-01-2009, 11:37 PM
The original Cody Mac is going to Buffalo (or, perhaps, Portland, Maine). According to CapGeek it's a 1-year $550,000 2-way deal. Good to see Cody sign somewhere.mhh

T.O.Bombinators
08-05-2009, 06:10 PM
haha pens signed granato as an assistant coach

IBleedPurple
08-05-2009, 09:39 PM
haha pens signed granato as an assistant coach

That is about his ideal situation, but he doesn't offer much that the Pens haven't had previously

downsos
08-17-2009, 01:41 AM
If you guys like madden join this league.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384820&page=9

ksneil2000
08-17-2009, 10:57 PM
its eklund but he's saying e4 hannan to the caps

T.O.Bombinators
08-17-2009, 10:59 PM
barely beat me...god i hope hes ****in right

downsos
08-17-2009, 11:45 PM
As long as it's not for Theo.

T.O.Bombinators
08-18-2009, 01:52 AM
no i dont think so..we want o shed salary..hopefully a guy like ..i forget is name now but i think its godfrey

T.O.Bombinators
09-03-2009, 01:12 AM
Well that Avs have done it, they finally named a goaltending adviser in Jocelyn Thibault, according to the Denver Post.

That's right folks, the man who was included in the Patrick Roy trade is coming back to the Avs. However, unlike Jeff Hackett, who traveled with the team, Thibault won't even live in Denver. He'll just come in every once and a while to work on our goaltenders.

It's not clear what his exact role will be but it appears to be minimal. Yet another sign of cutting costs, it seems. However, our goaltending is a little more solid than it has been the past 4-5 years. Don't care what anyone says, Anderson is better than Aebischer, Theodore, Budaj or Raycroft, not to mention Vitaly Kolesnik so the role of the goaltending coach should naturally be minimized.

In other news, TSN's Scott Cullen picked the Avs to finish 29th this year. Not sure what to think about this. Sure the Avs have don't have elite level talent and yes their defense is old and their first half schedule is murderous but it's hard to imagine them 29th. Phoenix should finish 30th in the league but the Avs could finish higher than 29.

There are a few things that are being underestimated about the Avs:

1. Coaching- I really do believe in what I've seen from Joe Sacco. He's a guy that coaches hard work and discipline. Add in Steve Konowalchuk, Adam Deadmarsh and Sylvain Lefebvre, the Avs should have a good coaching staff for the makeup of the club.

2. Goaltending- The Avs lost 21 one-goal games last year, the biggest reason for their top three pick. A lot of them were due to goalies (Budaj in particular) letting in goals late in the game. Now, the Avs have a guy in Anderson who is ready to make the jump from backup to starter. If the Avs guessed right, they should finish higher than Cullen predicts. If they guessed wrong, then Cullen is probably right

3. Youth- The Avs should get progressively younger as this year goes. Look for Matt Duchene to stick around this year, Ryan Stoa to make the NHL club and to have more growth from David Jones, Chris Stewart and T.J. Galiardi Avalanche Jersey in the HockeyBuzz Store' href='http://shop.hockeybuzz.com/colorado-avalanche.php'>T.J. Galiardi- possibly even T.J. Hensick- to improve this club.

4. Specialty teams- The best moves of the offseason were the coaching moves. Bringing in Lefebvre, Kono and Deader will certainly improve our specialty teams. Now the Jacques Cloutier has been shown the door (can I get a "hallelujah"?) we should have a defense that's more active and physical and with Granato gone, we might actually find someone who'll shoot instead of pass on the Power Play (novel concept huh?) These moves, along with the young kids should allow the Avs to improve through this year.

5. Intangibles- The thing about going through a rebuild and using younger kids, is that it's hard to predict how good or bad they'll do (see: the 2008-09 St. Louis Blues). A trial by fire is the only way to really know how they'll do. If the youth movement is slower in development than anticipated the Avs could finish 29 but if they catch on a jell, they could end as high as 22 (with the schedule and the division, it's about the best to hope for.)

6. Paul Stastny- Another reason for our third overall pick was the health of Paul Stastny. If he's healthy, he's a solidifying force up the middle. His defense is exquisite while putting up an average of a point per game. Give him a line of Hejduk on the right wing and Wolski on the left wing, it could really be a productive line. Stastny and Hejduk have great chemistry, always have and Wolski could really latch onto that chemistry and become more consistent. If Stastny is healthy this team will have at least 30 goals and 60-66 points.

So Scott Cullen could just as well be right but I do believe he is ignoring some of the young talent that this roster has. If Stastny is healthy, along with the other factors listed above, expect the Avs to be better than last year and definitely better than 29th in the league.

Musick Notes

If Forsbergs foot holds up, I'd expect the Avs to take a flier on him. He's always been a fan favorite and still remains in the heart of Colorado. He'd sell tickets and give the Avs help on the Left Wing and would certainly help in every facet of this team. However, whether he comes to Colorado, is yet to be determined. As always with Peter Forsberg we'll see. http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Aaron-Musick/New-goalie/122/22770

T.O.Bombinators
09-06-2009, 12:13 AM
Players to watch:

Among the rookies, of course it'll be Matt Duchene but also watch Stoa, O'Reilly, Galiardi, McNicoll and Tessier. Two interesting players to watch will be Mercier and Yip, as they have just concluded great college careers. The first group should be the standout of the forward group while the other two will be the most interesting to watch develop through the camp.

On defense, take notices of Gaunce, Elliot and Barrie to stand out, as they were standouts of the development camp. Gaunce, in particular, represents one of the three closest defensive prospects to making the NHL club, Shattenkirk and Cohen are the two others. Wilson will also be one to watch, to see if Giguere actually made a good trade.

As for goaltenders, take special notice of Maxwell and Delmas. They're probably the best goalies attending rookie camp. Cann and Sauer haven't looked very impressive in person but Maxwell in particular looks like a steal of a draft pick.

As for the regular training camp, a few players to watch will be Stastny, Duchene, Wolski, O'Reilly, Stoa, Hensick, Bates and Galiardi. Stastny and Wolski are the offensive leaders of the rebuild, aside from Hejduk who has been consistent over the years. However, Stastny and Wolski have battled health and consistency issues, respectively. If the Avs are to finish higher than 29 this year, it will be on their shoulders.

Meanwhile, Hensick and Galiardi will be the players who could really be difference makers. If they can find what made them great on their old teams, it could give the Avs a second scoring line. Hensick will need to improve his shot and Galiardi will have to put his game together and become consistent in his play. However, if they can't score consistently, the next group might.

However, Stoa and Duchene are probably going to be counted on to compete this year. It will be interesting to see how they handle the pressure of the NHL level. It is entirely possible that Stoa could start the season in the AHL and Duchene in the OHL but their job is to play to their ability and make it the toughest choice possible. While O'Reilly won't be signed this year, he's probably a year away but he's still a member of the young forwards that will return this team to grace and should be fun to watch play with pro players. He should eventually fit into the third line player role but until then, the Avs have Shawn Bates.

Bates will be interesting to watch. He once was a solid defensive player with the New York Islanders with a prowess on the penalty kill. He's at camp on an tryout and could very well make the roster. Bates is the best (and only?) option for a good third line center. Hopefully, he can fill the role until O'Reilly is ready to make the jump.

Speaking of making the jump, no place is harder to make a jump than on defense. The Avs have Skinner, Peltier and Macias are all slotted behind the veterans of Foote, Hannan and co. For them to make the club, they'll really have to show maturity and poise against the regulars. Even then it could be a stretch getting on this team. Preissing and Quincey will be interesting to watch, as it will be the first chance Avs fans have to get a look at them. The most interesting thing to watch for defensemen will be the style. Will it be more physical than last year's, what part of the ice will they protect and how will it work with the goaltenders.

Speaking of goaltenders, there are three to watch: Budaj, Weiman and, of course, Anderson.The biggest question mark coming into this season rests with these three goalies. Budaj is coming off a rough year, Weiman a good AHL year and Anderson has been given a chance to start. Will it work or will it be like last year?

Roster battles:

There are three roster battles that will be really fun to watch.

1. Second line center- Hensick, Duchene, Galiardi, Wolski and possibly even Stoa. Though it's likely Galiardi, Stoa and Wolski will be playing left wing, they could all play for a second line center. Even then, they'd have to beat Hensick and Duchene for that spot. Both those players, if they decide to play to their potential, will be hard to stop offensively.

2. Bottom line defensive pairings- While the top four defensemen figure to be settled, it leaves two spots for Quincey, Preissing, Clark, Macias and Peltier to battle for the bottom two. It would reason to believe the first three listed will be on the roster, the younger kids really have some talent to compete at the NHL level.

3. Second line Right Wing- On the second line right wing, the Avs could put Svatos, Stewart or Jones there. All three are pretty close to one another but play different styles. Jones is a speedy type, Stewart a gritty type and Svatos a sniper type. The early favorite would be Svatos but health and consistency issues make this a really close battle.

The fourth line spots will also be a battle between all of the young players trying to break into the league but not as big as those three spots.

All in all, with 59 players attending camp, a new coaching staff and attractions like Duchene, it'll be fun to watch all the camps and especially the drills that the coaches run, to try and see their coaching style.http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Aaron-Musick/Avs-Rookie-and-Training-Camp-rosters-announced/122/22811