PDA

View Full Version : You draft Griffin.......Then What??

VCaintdead17
04-09-2009, 01:22 AM
Ok, lets say you guys draft Blake Griffin and fill the power forward spot up.
Then what? Do you patiently wait for the team to get better and better as they get more experienced and make only minor bench moves? Do you try and upgrade at a certain position through trades and FA signings?

So basically what I'm asking is, would you be satisfied with a line up of

Conley
Mayo
Gay
Griffin
Gasol

for years to come?

I Am Awesome-O
04-09-2009, 02:42 AM
I would be extremely happy with that starting lineup for the future. But the team as a whole would still be nowhere near complete. It would still desperately need some veteran presence, and if the Grizzlies landed Griffin, I think Heisley would open up his wallet and start looking at the big picture.

So say we land Griffin and that is going to be the starting lineup going forward (I'm still torn between Conley and O.J. as our PG of the future, but for the sake of this thread, we are just going to give that position to Conley). We are going to need to pick up a few things.

First, we would need a third guard/6th man to back up Conley and Mayo, preferably a great shooter who can score in bunches (i.e. Ben Gordon, Leandro Barbosa, J.R. Smith). I like Barbosa the most out of those three, and I think offering Darrell Arthur, Hak's rights, and our 2009 2nd round pick would be enough for Phoenix to give up Barbosa.

Then, we would also need another veteran big man to give us a backup PF and spot minutes at the center position; mainly an energy guy. A guy like Anderson Varejao comes to mind. He has a player option after this year, and if he doesn't exercise it, he will be an unrestricted FA this year. We would most likely be able to sign him if we offered the most money, as we would also have the promise of winning to come since we landed Griffin.

Next, we would need to fill out the rest of the roster with a couple of small veteran signings to fill out our bench, guys like Rodney Carney and Keith Bogans, and then re-sign Q. Ross.

Also, we would still have that Magic pick to exercise, and in this situation, I would use it on a backup SF, such as DaJuan Summers.

So, after all of these transactions, Memphis would have a lineup that comes out to look like this-

PG- Mike Conley, O.J. Mayo, Leandro Barbosa, Marko Jaric
SG- O.J. Mayo, Leandro Barbosa, Keith Bogans, Quinton Ross, Rodney Carney
SF- Rudy Gay, DaJuan Summers, Rodney Carney, Quinton Ross
PF- Blake Griffin, Anderson Varejao, Darko Milicic
C- Marc Gasol, Darko Milicic, Hamed Haddadi, Anderson Varejao

mzgrizz
04-09-2009, 11:55 PM
I would be extremely happy with that starting lineup for the future. But the team as a whole would still be nowhere near complete. It would still desperately need some veteran presence, and if the Grizzlies landed Griffin, I think Heisley would open up his wallet and start looking at the big picture.

So say we land Griffin and that is going to be the starting lineup going forward (I'm still torn between Conley and O.J. as our PG of the future, but for the sake of this thread, we are just going to give that position to Conley). We are going to need to pick up a few things.

First, we would need a third guard/6th man to back up Conley and Mayo, preferably a great shooter who can score in bunches (i.e. Ben Gordon, Leandro Barbosa, J.R. Smith). I like Barbosa the most out of those three, and I think offering Darrell Arthur, Hak's rights, and our 2009 2nd round pick would be enough for Phoenix to give up Barbosa.

Then, we would also need another veteran big man to give us a backup PF and spot minutes at the center position; mainly an energy guy. A guy like Anderson Varejao comes to mind. He has a player option after this year, and if he doesn't exercise it, he will be an unrestricted FA this year. We would most likely be able to sign him if we offered the most money, as we would also have the promise of winning to come since we landed Griffin.

Next, we would need to fill out the rest of the roster with a couple of small veteran signings to fill out our bench, guys like Rodney Carney and Keith Bogans, and then re-sign Q. Ross.

Also, we would still have that Magic pick to exercise, and in this situation, I would use it on a backup SF, such as DaJuan Summers.

So, after all of these transactions, Memphis would have a lineup that comes out to look like this-

PG- Mike Conley, O.J. Mayo, Leandro Barbosa, Marko Jaric
SG- O.J. Mayo, Leandro Barbosa, Keith Bogans, Quinton Ross, Rodney Carney
SF- Rudy Gay, DaJuan Summers, Rodney Carney, Quinton Ross
PF- Blake Griffin, Anderson Varejao, Darko Milicic
C- Marc Gasol, Darko Milicic, Hamed Haddadi, Anderson Varejao

Oh yeah !!!!!!!!
Bring that on!
A second thought on the lottery thing. OKC is already a sellout in season tickets and those Okies fill the stands .......so giving them Blake Griffin will not compute for the NB(usiness)A......so I'm starting to like our chances a lot more than I was! We most definitely have the seats to sell.........come on NBA!!!!