PDA

View Full Version : Rudy Gay wants an extension

RocketsRule
03-20-2009, 11:10 PM
One of the Grizzlies' offseason priorities will be to sign Rudy Gay to a contract extension.

That springtime fact already puts the organization and Gay on the same page for what could be a busy summer.

While the 6-8 forward is focused on finishing this regular season on a strong note, Gay has one eye on his future. And Gay said his offseason goal is to work out a deal that keeps him as an integral part of the Grizzlies' rebuilding.
"As a player and a person, I want to be set going into next season," Grizzlies forward Rudy Gay says of his potential contract extension.Nikki Boertman The Commercial Appeal

"As a player and a person, I want to be set going into next season," Grizzlies forward Rudy Gay says of his potential contract extension.

"As a player and a person, I want to be set going into next season," Gay said as the Griz prepared to play a road game tonight against the New Orleans Hornets. "I want to be comfortable and work on trying to be an All-Star. So yeah, (an extension) is important to me."

Gay is winding down his third NBA season. He is eligible to negotiate a contract extension beginning July 1.

If the Grizzlies and Gay don't reach an agreement before the start of next season, the former Connecticut standout would become a restricted free agent in summer 2010. That would put Gay in the same situation teammate Hakim Warrick is playing through now.

Source: Memphis Commercial Appeal (http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/mar/20/grizzlies-aiming-for-deal-with-gay/)

I Am Awesome-O
03-21-2009, 01:10 AM
I sincerely hope Memphis doesn't overpay Rudy. I know Heisley is totally in love with the guy, and I worry that he could get sucked in to giving Gay more than 5-years, $65 million.

I think it is imperative that we extend Gay, or trade him this summer to get value back (Michael Beasley?). I still like Rudy a lot, and I believe he will return to his old form next year, but he seems like the type of player that could turn on an organization in a flash (Pau-like, if you will).

mzgrizz
03-21-2009, 03:59 PM
I disagree with the Pau -about- face problem with Rudy. I believe he truly wants to see the Grizzlies be successful and be a big part of why. Pau knew we wouldn't be able to build a team for him(never did in 6 years....ample opportunities). We got fortunate in the FO recognizing OJ Mayo for what he is and will be. 4++++ luck in getting Marc Gasol out of the Pau debacle. Hats off to waiting on Conley to come along.
I DO agree I don't want to run the bank on Rudy's contract. Need a happy compromise here with Rudy and the Grizz.

Deezy Dee 24
03-22-2009, 02:01 AM
im glad to see rudy wanting to stay here. and im glad we want him. i think he is and will be better than beasley

Big Quett
03-22-2009, 05:01 AM
im glad to see rudy wanting to stay here. and im glad we want him. i think he is and will be better than beasley

The economy might help us out on this one. In that we might can get around paying him a ridiculously amount of money he doesnt deserve.

I mean look at the deals of players i would compare him too.

Luol Deng 6 years 71 mil could be worth up to 80 mil
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/2008-07-30-223192839_x.htm

Andre Iguodala 6years 80 mil
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3532139

Danny Granger 5 years 60 mil
http:
//sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3676045 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3676045)

All of these players are overpaid IMO. Especially Deng and Iggy.
Of all those players the only one i would really put over Rudy is Iggy because of his defense and all of the other things he does on the court.

I think a fair deal would be the Josh Smith deal of about 5 years 51 mil.

mzgrizz
03-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Is it possible we will retry the Josh Smith deal?

I Am Awesome-O
03-23-2009, 12:28 AM
Is it possible we will retry the Josh Smith deal?

Nope. He's with Atlanta now for the next 5 years barring a trade.

JaySmoke
03-23-2009, 05:22 PM
No no no rudy :mad:, come to miami please

JaySmoke
03-23-2009, 05:23 PM

:confused: beasley is a rookie :confused: he hasnt even reached his potential yet :confused:

I Am Awesome-O
03-23-2009, 05:52 PM
No no no rudy :mad:, come to miami please

Hah, that's what I call wishful thinking. Memphis will match any offer that is made to Rudy, so he won't be going to Miami, or any team for that matter, even if they do sign him.

Hanzinho
03-24-2009, 11:15 AM
Rudy Gay is a awful leader...

Memphis need a real leader and a defensive player...

This summer forget Rudy Gay, and sign TREVOR ARIZA

Look the possible team...

Marc Gasol-Griffin-Ariza-Mayo-Conley

Great future!!!

Becks2307
03-27-2009, 11:39 PM
yeah i dont think rudy thats great as a leader at all...DONT OVERPAY !!

NYtilIdie
04-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Rudy's too young to be a leader IMO. In a couple of years he will be somebody young guys look up too. This year was all about Mayo developing into a star just like Gay did last year. Next year the light will be back on Gay especially if he signs a huge contract people will watch him carefully to see if he earns all that money or will he be another Deng.

KeithLBC
04-03-2009, 12:47 AM
Rudy Gay is a awful leader...

Memphis need a real leader and a defensive player...

This summer forget Rudy Gay, and sign TREVOR ARIZA

Look the possible team...

Marc Gasol-Griffin-Ariza-Mayo-Conley

Great future!!!

Stay away from Ariza :mad: :p

I guess this dispels the assumptions that people make when they say that the Grizzlies organization can't resign their star players :shrug:

I agree, the Josh Smith deal looks like the best fit for Rudy :)

mzgrizz
04-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Anyone want to rethink Rudy Gay's contributions to the Grizzlies over the past 2 weeks?
I'd say a leader is emerging. I was there last night (floor seat again) and his intensity is palpable. Heck, it was for the entire team. There's some pretty good stuff shaping up in Memphis now........we need a 4***** free agent and the luck of the Irish for the lottery and we'll be back in bidness,guys!