PDA

View Full Version : Obama's Special Olympics Gaffe on the Tonight Show

Hawkize31
03-20-2009, 01:01 AM
As a politician, there are some things you should know. And one of them is never ever compare your bad sports performances to the special Olympics. Obama forgot that rule during his interview with Jay Leno.

Obama Likens His Bowling Game to Special Olympics

President Obama seemed relaxed and in good cheer tonight during his appearance on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno." But there was one misstep that surely made his advisers wince.

Leno asked the president whether the White House bowling alley had been "burned and closed down" in light of Obama's gutter ball embarrassment on the campaign trail last year.

Obama replied, "No, no. I have been practicing . . . I bowled a 129."

The audience roared with laughter, and the late-night talk show host assured Obama "that's very good, Mr. President." To which Obama interjected, "It's like -- it was like Special Olympics, or something."

The audience laughed. But the White House didn't let the comment linger without clarification.

"The president made an offhand remark making fun of his own bowling that was in no way intended to disparage the Special Olympics," White House spokesman Bill Burton told reporters flying aboard Air Force One after the taping of the show, according to a transcript released by the White House. "He thinks that the Special Olympics are a wonderful program that gives an opportunity to shine to people with disabilities from around the world."

link (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/sleuth/2009/03/obama_likens_his_bowling_game.html)

Sigh. Rookie mistake Mr. President.

DodgersFan28
03-20-2009, 01:05 AM
Wow. Spin machine must be being paid quite well to get that out there 90+mins before the show even reaches the Pacific time zone.

gcoll
03-20-2009, 01:06 AM
Why is Obama even on Leno in the first place?

DodgersFan28
03-20-2009, 01:15 AM
Because since the entire world is a hunky-dory place, and we're living in great economic times, he has enough free time on his hands to do stuff like this & NCAA brackets.

Oh wait...

gcoll
03-20-2009, 01:16 AM
Because since the entire world is a hunky-dory place, and we're living in great economic times, he has enough free time on his hands to do stuff like this & NCAA brackets.

Oh wait...

Which is why I think doing Leno is a dumb move.

Randy West
03-20-2009, 01:21 AM
I am sure some Special Olympians could do better than a 129

I am starting to wonder if there could be a couple more adept at running a country as well?

Hawkize31
03-20-2009, 01:29 AM
Wow. Spin machine must be being paid quite well to get that out there 90+mins before the show even reaches the Pacific time zone.

Maybe. But two things about that. First, spin or not, Obama set himself up for this one. You can't just call negative publicity spin. Obama messed up, even if only a little bit.

Second, it was already on here in Iowa and my friend who was one of the biggest Obama supporters I know saw it and immediately recognized it as a gaffe. It doesn't take a staff of people scrutinizing a politician's words to find something that obvious, so its not really fair to act like thats what happened here.

Hopefully it blows over, but something tells me guys like Rush and O'Reilly are going to be quite visibily sympathetic to the special olympics cause for the next couple months, which I'm sure will have nothing to do with Obama's word choice.

DodgersFan28
03-20-2009, 01:44 AM
Maybe. But two things about that. First, spin or not, Obama set himself up for this one. You can't just call negative publicity spin. Obama messed up, even if only a little bit.

Um, I was referring to the White House positive spin of Obama's gaffe.

DenButsu
03-20-2009, 02:04 AM
Wow, so the slightly awkward feeling I have right now as an Obama supporter is how Bush supporters felt like 3 or 4 times a week for his entire presidency?

Ouch.

gcoll
03-20-2009, 02:36 AM
so the slightly awkward feeling I have right now as an Obama supporter is how Bush supporters felt like 3 or 4 times a week for his entire presidency?
I used to get a kick out of Bush's stumbles. The "shame on....shame on you. That's it you can't get fooled again" was one of my favorites.

Randy West
03-20-2009, 02:47 AM
Yeah because Bush said stupid things that makes it ok for this guy to do the same........but wait he was our messiah......no just a human and a politician........but hey I guess you will stick up for your own no matter what.

"I think Geithner is doing an outstanding job," Obama said.......sounds like Bush to Brownie during the NO disaster

Bush was a freaking comedian at best.......this guy was supposed to be sooo much better and brighter

Cubsrule
03-20-2009, 02:48 AM
No teleprompter=problem

Randy West
03-20-2009, 02:51 AM
To error is human though really.........I just don't like political lying scum republican or democrat ............to say Timmmahy is doing a good job is stretching it though imo

Cubsrule
03-20-2009, 02:53 AM
To error is human though really.........I just don't like political lying scum republican or democrat ............to say Timmmahy is doing a good job is stretching it though imo

Oh its really stretching it, the guy is an absolute joke and whats worse is Obama continues to stand behind him, even after all the crap that's happened under his watch.

Randy West
03-20-2009, 02:57 AM
Oh its really stretching it, the guy is an absolute joke and whats worse is Obama continues to stand behind him, even after all the crap that's happened under his watch.

Well I think he could have just said something like " hey there is so much happening right now he can't be expected to catch everything"

but to come out and say hey he is doing good when he just missed on a real big one is a boner

You kind of knew he wouldn't throw his own guy under the bus politicians take care of appointees .......it is almost as if the appointee failed so would the politician......I think Americans could seperate the two......sometimes I wonder though

we are early into it........it can't get much worse........oh god I pray it can't

DodgersFan28
03-20-2009, 05:41 AM
I'd like to equate Geithner with Brownie, except people were saying Geithner's the best man to fix our economy & only he can do the job. Obama just said yesterday that he's the best man for the job. Um, yeah, anyone feel like retracting those statements?

Mr. President - maybe your time would be better spent overseeing your Cabinet than yucking it up with Leno?

Congress - NEXT TIME READ THE BLOODY BILLS THAT YOU VOTE ON!!!

Jerry34
03-20-2009, 08:10 AM
Right when I heard the Special Olympics comment last night, i was like "well this is what republicans will be talking about all day tomorrow".

behindmydesk
03-20-2009, 08:12 AM
I say the rookie mistake is going on there in the first place. I could care less about the special Olympics. I don't want my president, lowering himself to go onto a late night talk show. Reagen who was an actor didn't lower himself to go on Johnny Carson, Clinton, the actual I want to be a rockstar president, didn't lower himself to go on David Letterman. Etc.

I don't like it when they go on during hte election, but I can deal with it. Once you are president, show some class, and don't subject yourself to the lowest common denominator.

I think Obama is trying way to hard, to be a one of the people, for the people, with this Leno, on ESPN crap. I want my president to be well presidential.

Jerry34
03-20-2009, 08:16 AM
I say the rookie mistake is going on there in the first place. I could care less about the special Olympics. I don't want my president, lowering himself to go onto a late night talk show. Reagen who was an actor didn't lower himself to go on Johnny Carson, Clinton, the actual I want to be a rockstar president, didn't lower himself to go on David Letterman. Etc.

I don't like it when they go on during hte election, but I can deal with it. Once you are president, show some class, and don't subject yourself to the lowest common denominator.

I think Obama is trying way to hard, to be a one of the people, for the people, with this Leno, on ESPN crap. I want my president to be well presidential.

Yeah, and now his stupid comment is going to distract everybody from anything important he said anyway. Bad move on his part.

Here's the clip. I don't think the crowd heard him say it, but you could hear it on tv, pretty clearly. I think it would have been more awkward if Leno wouldn't have been talking when he said it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXcgpZwsBPY

behindmydesk
03-20-2009, 08:24 AM
Yeah, and now his stupid comment is going to distract everybody from anything important he said anyway. Bad move on his part.

Here's the clip. I don't think the crowd heard him say it, but you could hear it on tv, pretty clearly. I think it would have been more awkward if Leno wouldn't have been talking when he said it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXcgpZwsBPY

IT"S FREAKING JAY LENO. He shouldn't have been saying anything anyway, yet alone earth shattering.

ari1013
03-20-2009, 09:17 AM
As a politician, there are some things you should know. And one of them is never ever compare your bad sports performances to the special Olympics. Obama forgot that rule during his interview with Jay Leno.

link (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/sleuth/2009/03/obama_likens_his_bowling_game.html)

Sigh. Rookie mistake Mr. President.
He's not so good at the whole interpersonal relations thing yet.

ari1013
03-20-2009, 09:21 AM
And yes, I agree with all of you who are saying that Geithner's in over his head. I was pretty happy with the selection in January because Geithner had done a solid job in NY, but he clearly can't handle his new job. He needs to be dumped ASAP.

behindmydesk
03-20-2009, 09:25 AM
And yes, I agree with all of you who are saying that Geithner's in over his head. I was pretty happy with the selection in January because Geithner had done a solid job in NY, but he clearly can't handle his new job. He needs to be dumped ASAP.

He's just going along with the presidential flow.

behindmydesk
03-20-2009, 09:26 AM
No teleprompter=problem

teleprompter=problem too

He read the prime minister of Ireland's speech, and thanked himself for hosting the party.

SmthBluCitrus
03-20-2009, 09:39 AM
I don't think going on Leno was a mistake for Obama. It puts him in front of an audience that doesn't watch the 24/7 news channels religiously, or at all. I don't think going on there was a bad move at all (nor is filling out NCAA brackets :rolleyes:) ...

... now the Special Olympics comment. That's something else altogether.

behindmydesk
03-20-2009, 09:46 AM
I don't think going on Leno was a mistake for Obama. It puts him in front of an audience that doesn't watch the 24/7 news channels religiously, or at all. I don't think going on there was a bad move at all (nor is filling out NCAA brackets :rolleyes:) ...

... now the Special Olympics comment. That's something else altogether.

Basically by him doing a tourney bracket and going on leno, is him already campaigning for 2012. That's the only reason.

DenButsu
03-20-2009, 09:48 AM
After watching that clip, my read on his remark was that he wasn't comparing himself to a Special Olympian, but saying Leno was treating him like he was.

Not that that makes it any less of a gaffe, or any better.

SmthBluCitrus
03-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Basically by him doing a tourney bracket and going on leno, is him already campaigning for 2012. That's the only reason.

A president never stops campaigning for the second term. Their entire first term is a campaign trail for the second -- and that's why president's have such high re-election rates.

That said, he's a basketball fan. If he didn't fill out a bracket, I'd say he'd be being disingenuous to his favorite past-time -- I fill out a bracket for christ's sake, and I'm not much of a college basketball fan.

And, I do think going on Leno was to get in front of an audience that hasn't seen him live in awhile.

behindmydesk
03-20-2009, 10:11 AM
A president never stops campaigning for the second term. Their entire first term is a campaign trail for the second -- and that's why president's have such high re-election rates.

That said, he's a basketball fan. If he didn't fill out a bracket, I'd say he'd be being disingenuous to his favorite past-time -- I fill out a bracket for christ's sake, and I'm not much of a college basketball fan.

And, I do think going on Leno was to get in front of an audience that hasn't seen him live in awhile.

I didnt' say don't fill out a bracket, but to have ESPN come on, adn do a whole thing is BS and worthless for a president to do so.

And on leno, he's done the blog, the weekly address, the state of the union. THere is no reason to go on a comedy show. Heck SNL must be next. Show the world he's got some humor still left in him. He can do dick in a box skit, and this time they'll open the box, and show biden's head.

behindmydesk
03-20-2009, 10:17 AM
It's a dumbing down of society, that the president even thinks that he needs to appeal to this the lowest denominator.

DenButsu
03-20-2009, 10:18 AM
I have absolutely no problem with Obama getting heat for the Special Olympics comment. He deserves it.

But people (I'm talking to you, Lamar Alexander, and you, too, Jon Kyl) getting on him for making ****ing march madness picks is just absolutely ridiculous. As if they spend every single waking moment of their day on the job, working for the American people, and never take a breather or engage in any mental health break activity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1tVCrMiTog

Zep
03-20-2009, 10:18 AM
It's a dumbing down of society, that the president even thinks that he needs to appeal to this the lowest denominator.

:eyebrow:

To clarify, I think each and every single president/presidential candidate since the inception of the information age has been guilty of "dumbing" him/herself down at some point in order to appeal to a certain percentage of the general population.

The fact of the matter is that some of us are, in fact "dumb", and anyone campaigning/trying to gain a second term who ignores that part of the population doesn't know how the game is played.

It's not the high point of American political discourse, but it is an (unfortunate) reality.

SmthBluCitrus
03-20-2009, 10:19 AM
I didnt' say don't fill out a bracket, but to have ESPN come on, adn do a whole thing is BS and worthless for a president to do so.

And on leno, he's done the blog, the weekly address, the state of the union. THere is no reason to go on a comedy show. Heck SNL must be next. Show the world he's got some humor still left in him. He can do dick in a box skit, and this time they'll open the box, and show biden's head.

As the first avid basketball fan in the White House (as far as I know -- I'm not that big on presidential sports affiliations), and as far along as we are in the information and technology era, I think it's rather appropriate (and expected) that ESPN would do some bracket stuff with Obama. I see it along the same lines as throwing out the first pitch of the first game of the season.

As for Leno -- for Obama, he has taken advantage of every single possible useful tool of outlet information whether it be buying an hour-long television advertisement a few days before the election, going on Leno, utilizing SMS in order to keep in touch with voters and supporters, delivering weekly "radio" addresses via YouTube, etc ...

But, going on TV isn't exactly new for presidents.

But hey, lets continue to knock the guy! It's more fun that way.

SmthBluCitrus
03-20-2009, 10:21 AM

No, Obama using textese in order to get his point across to 15 year old high school girls would be appealing to the dumbing down of society. Going on a staple of late night TV doesn't qualify.

"OMG Obama jst txtd."

ari1013
03-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Very much agreed. I was just talking about this yesterday with the whole hickish accent thing.

SmthBluCitrus
03-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Very much agreed. I was just talking about this yesterday with the whole hickish accent thing.

I don't see how going on late night is the "dumbing down of society." It's just another form of mass appeal and voter outreach.

behindmydesk
03-20-2009, 10:28 AM
As the first avid basketball fan in the White House (as far as I know -- I'm not that big on presidential sports affiliations), and as far along as we are in the information and technology era, I think it's rather appropriate (and expected) that ESPN would do some bracket stuff with Obama. I see it along the same lines as throwing out the first pitch of the first game of the season.

As for Leno -- for Obama, he has taken advantage of every single possible useful tool of outlet information whether it be buying an hour-long television advertisement a few days before the election, going on Leno, utilizing SMS in order to keep in touch with voters and supporters, delivering weekly "radio" addresses via YouTube, etc ...

But, going on TV isn't exactly new for presidents.

But hey, lets continue to knock the guy! It's more fun that way.

Blindly supporting every action is the same thing.

It's a damn comedy show.

Also, you wouldn't have had any problem with Bush being the first Baseball owner turned president, if he would have done monthly baseball tonight spots. Give his analysis, talk about trade rumors etc? IF you wouldn't have had a problem with it, I guess we have difference of opinions on what a president should be doing, because I'd be appalled. Now if Bush wants to do that now, so be it. If Obama wants to do specials on sportscenter after office, so be it. Now is not the time.

No, Obama using textese in order to get his point across to 15 year old high school girls would be appealing to the dumbing down of society. Going on a staple of late night TV doesn't qualify.

"OMG Obama jst txtd."

Why not, why not send out mass texts. It's about as bad as going on leno. He's got to appeal to all audiences! In fact Blue, (and i'm not being snide at all) if the people and the president think Leno is ok, and for the reasons you described, why not send out mass texts to people who want them. Their can be a sign up on Change.org.

Zep
03-20-2009, 10:29 AM
I don't see how going on late night is the "dumbing down of society." It's just another form of mass appeal and voter outreach.

There are shades of gray in this (depending on how you define a late night TV appearance after a town hall meeting in the same state...I'd call it pragmatic and obviously politically motivated, but other might call it demeaning to the office, and they also have a point). If he appeals to the masses, he's dumbing himself down. If he gives an interview to The New Yorker he's an elitist.

It must really suck to be the president lol.

behindmydesk
03-20-2009, 10:32 AM

Because it's infantile, and where does it end. Texting, facebook etc

behindmydesk
03-20-2009, 10:35 AM
There are shades of gray in this (depending on how you define a late night TV appearance after a town hall meeting in the same state...I'd call it pragmatic and obviously politically motivated, but other might call it demeaning to the office, and they also have a point). If he appeals to the masses, he's dumbing himself down. If he gives an interview to The New Yorker he's an elitist.

It must really suck to be the president lol.

Not really, just go with real journalists. I mean heck, MSNBC is fine if you want to. Foxnews is fine if you want too. People would probably say for any politician going on those two that they would get softball questions, but you know I Suppose your bowling game is a tough question.

Basically, I think and this is just my opinion, I like 60 minutes doing interviews the best. They are left leaning, but do a nice mix of softball/tough questions, and don't let their small left leaning come out too bad. I like 60 minutes a lot. I thoroughly enjoyed President Obama and his wife on 60 minutes, even though I was yelling at the screen at his policies, but it was a great interview. It was quite presidential!

SmthBluCitrus
03-20-2009, 10:38 AM

It's a damn comedy show.

Also, you wouldn't have had any problem with Bush being the first Baseball owner turned president, if he would have done monthly baseball tonight spots. Give his analysis, talk about trade rumors etc? IF you wouldn't have had a problem with it, I guess we have difference of opinions on what a president should be doing, because I'd be appalled. Now if Bush wants to do that now, so be it. If Obama wants to do specials on sportscenter after office, so be it. Now is not the time.

Wow -- blindly supporting every action. Because that's what I do. :rolleyes:

Who cares if it's a comedy show? It's still a media outlet.

You really love to stretch arguments to the extreme. I don't recall there being an invite for Obama to be a monthly college basketball analyst for ESPN.

People do college basketball brackets. Obama is a person believe it or not, and even though he's POTUS, he has every right to do a bracket. And, if ESPN wants to get in touch with him to do a media event -- so be it. This is such a non-issue. But, hey if this is what you have to go on and pick out in order to criticize, I think we're in a pretty good spot.

Why not, why not send out mass texts. It's about as bad as going on leno. He's got to appeal to all audiences! In fact Blue, (and i'm not being snide at all) if the people and the president think Leno is ok, and for the reasons you described, why not send out mass texts to people who want them. Their can be a sign up on Change.org.

We already use mass subscriber text -- not in textese, mind you. But, mass SMS exists and we utilize it very successfully, thanks. Guess there's a reason we ended up with overwhelming and record breaking recruiter numbers, hours, and donations.

DenButsu
03-20-2009, 10:38 AM
I didn't have a problem with Bush being a former baseball team owner. I had a problem with him sucking at it really badly.

SmthBluCitrus
03-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Because it's infantile, and where does it end. Texting, facebook etc

Who won the election?

Oh right ...

blenderboy5
03-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Congress - NEXT TIME READ THE BLOODY BILLS THAT YOU VOTE ON!!!

Eh, most bills aren't read. It was a bit annoying to hear the same people who *****ed about how we rushed the PATRIOT Act and the Iraq War Bill through Congress rushing through all the stimulus bills, but it's a normal reaction with angry voters and a failing economy

Actually, Geithner and Richardson were the cabinet members I had the most hope for. Unfortunately, neither panned out. Speaking of which, has Obama filled the position Richardson was supposed to fill?

Agreed. When I saw the picture and story I couldn't believe Obama would even waste his time. It's not ****ing campaign season anymore, dumbass.

I don't care about the basketball picks, though the publicity it received is ridiculous.

DenButsu
03-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Actually, it would be really smart for Obama to use facebook in 2012. After years of resistance, a friend of mine finally convinced me to sign up a few weeks ago, and I was fairly well stunned to find that nearly every mofo I've ever known in my entire life is on the damn thing.

behindmydesk
03-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Who won the election?

Oh right ...

And won it in a big way. Congrats. No question about it. I think that was oh about 4 months ago though. And what does that have to do that him going on leno is a disgrace to the position. OBAMA IS NOT A DISGRACE, just going on Leno is.

behindmydesk
03-20-2009, 10:45 AM
Wow -- blindly supporting every action. Because that's what I do. :rolleyes:

Who cares if it's a comedy show? It's still a media outlet.

You really love to stretch arguments to the extreme. I don't recall there being an invite for Obama to be a monthly college basketball analyst for ESPN.

People do college basketball brackets. Obama is a person believe it or not, and even though he's POTUS, he has every right to do a bracket. And, if ESPN wants to get in touch with him to do a media event -- so be it. This is such a non-issue. But, hey if this is what you have to go on and pick out in order to criticize, I think we're in a pretty good spot.

We already use mass subscriber text -- not in textese, mind you. But, mass SMS exists and we utilize it very successfully, thanks. Guess there's a reason we ended up with overwhelming and record breaking recruiter numbers, hours, and donations.

Ok, you are right that was a stretch, how about just espn spending a few hours with him while he fills out a fantasy team. Bush's fantasy team. Can you believe he took Pujols over Arod? OMG That's ok? Not in my mind it's not! No sir.

And I have no problem with Obama filling out a bracket, heck bet on it with your cabinet for all I care. Don't go on ESPN and talk about it. IT's basically the same thing as leno

Cool on the text. Didn't know that because I don't pay attention to that. What i'm saying though is Obama himself should weekly type out his text! Not campaign people, him himself should send out texts. Doing that is as bad as Leno. But that's besides the point.

And of course it is in an issue, and of course not the only thing we can criticize Obama on. But it's an issue to me, others and heck even Ari

ari1013
03-20-2009, 10:47 AM
It's not reaching out -- it's the way he reached out. It's the way he's trying to sound like he's one of the guys. As if you'd trust one of your friends to be the President. I have some smart friends, but none of them are qualified to be a world leader. Why would I want my current leader to be like that?

ari1013
03-20-2009, 10:48 AM

It's a damn comedy show.

I don't think they're doing that any more. I haven't gotten a text from the Obama campaign since the election ended.

ari1013
03-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Eh, most bills aren't read. It was a bit annoying to hear the same people who *****ed about how we rushed the PATRIOT Act and the Iraq War Bill through Congress rushing through all the stimulus bills, but it's a normal reaction with angry voters and a failing economy

Actually, Geithner and Richardson were the cabinet members I had the most hope for. Unfortunately, neither panned out. Speaking of which, has Obama filled the position Richardson was supposed to fill?

Agreed. When I saw the picture and story I couldn't believe Obama would even waste his time. It's not ****ing campaign season anymore, dumbass.

I don't care about the basketball picks, though the publicity it received is ridiculous.
Commerce Sec is Gary Locke.

behindmydesk
03-20-2009, 10:50 AM
I don't think they're doing that any more. I haven't gotten a text from the Obama campaign since the election ended.

It wasn't Obama sending them was it? It was asking for Donations? Or just news? I mean what was it? And I'm correct that Obama wasn't sending them right, or did he? Like I said I wasn't on the text roll.

ari1013
03-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Ok, you are right that was a stretch, how about just espn spending a few hours with him while he fills out a fantasy team. Bush's fantasy team. Can you believe he took Pujols over Arod? OMG That's ok? Not in my mind it's not! No sir.

And I have no problem with Obama filling out a bracket, heck bet on it with your cabinet for all I care. Don't go on ESPN and talk about it. IT's basically the same thing as leno

Cool on the text. Didn't know that because I don't pay attention to that. What i'm saying though is Obama himself should weekly type out his text! Not campaign people, him himself should send out texts. Doing that is as bad as Leno. But that's besides the point.

And of course it is in an issue, and of course not the only thing we can criticize Obama on. But it's an issue to me, others and heck even Ari
I don't think it's a big issue specifically with Obama. It's an issue with politicians in general.

ari1013
03-20-2009, 10:52 AM
It wasn't Obama sending them was it? It was asking for Donations? Or just news? I mean what was it? And I'm correct that Obama wasn't sending them right, or did he? Like I said I wasn't on the text roll.
Right. It was the campaign. Usually had Axelrod's name on it. It was updates, requests, etc. I don't even know how I got on that list. But I haven't gotten any since early November's victory text.

blenderboy5
03-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Who won the election?

Oh right ...

Eh, not to take away from Obama, but Dennis Kucinich could have won in 2008. It was just a matter of whoever got past the DNC primaries.

blenderboy5
03-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Commerce Sec is Gary Locke.

thanks

behindmydesk
03-20-2009, 10:54 AM
I don't think it's a big issue specifically with Obama. It's an issue with politicians in general.

I agree I don't like it either especially during campaign season, but it's not near as bad, as when they've won and now are sworn in and president.

What's going to piss me off is, that Republicans in the past have been accused of not doing enough to help Special needs children, but later today, when teh Special Olympics, or other charities or orgs demand an apology (Because you can't say something like that without someone demanding an apology) people will think we were behind it.

Again I don't think he meant to be derogatory in that way. ****** and special Olympics has become main stream speech.

cabernetluver
03-20-2009, 11:14 AM

I love being older but not yet senile. All of this trash about brackets is all well and good, but as I was sitting here thinking about it, suddenly a memory of an earlier president came to mind. Richard M Nixon would call George Allen (the football coach, not the senator) and send him plays. In fact, it was reported that he did this during Redskin games.

This ESPN thing is neither more nor less, than the same kind of interest in another sport, just a 21st century version of it.

behindmydesk
03-20-2009, 11:15 AM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0309/20268.html

er comparing his bowling to the Special Olympics on "The Tonight Show" Thursday, President Obama called Special Olympics Chairman Tim Shriver to apologize before the program even aired.

“He expressed his disappointment and he apologized, in a way that was very moving,” Shriver said on ABC's “Good Morning America.” “It’s important to see that words hurt, and words do matter. And these words that in some respect can be seen as humiliating or a put-down of people with special needs do cause pain, and they do result in stereotypes."

Obama told Shriver he wants to have some Special Olympics competitors over to the White House for basketball or bowling.

Shriver is the son of Special Olympics founder Eunice Kennedy Shriver, President Kennedy's sister.

The president had been making an attempt at self-deprecating humor in his appearance on Jay Leno's show by saying that a recent 129 he scored in the White House bowling alley had been "like Special Olympics, or something."

He and his staff quickly recognized the mistake and moved to limit the damage.

While Obama called Shriver, White House Deputy Press Secretary Bill Burton told reporters flying back to Washington with Obama on Air Force One that the president had “made an offhand remark making fun of his own bowling that was in no way intended to disparage the Special Olympics.”

“He thinks that the Special Olympics are a wonderful program that gives an opportunity to shine to people with disabilities from around the world,” Burton said.

Aside from the regrettable appearance of a president even implicitly poking fun at the disabled, Obama’s comments came on the same day that he had appeared with California First Lady Maria Shriver, an early supporter and the sister of Tim Shriver.

Eunice Kennedy Shriver founded the athletic competition for the disabled in 1968.

Even before the Special Olympics remark, the idea of a light-hearted late-night turn was something of a risk for a president in the midst of a recession. And Obama had taken some criticism for it already.

But he shrugged it just a few hours before he taped the show.
See Also

* VIDEO: Obama defends Geithner

“Now, there are those who say these plans are too ambitious,” Obama said, referring to his agenda during an town hall event. ‘In fact, somebody was saying the other – today, I think – that I shouldn't be on Leno. I can't handle that and the economy at the same time.”

Obama used much of his appearance on the comedy show to discuss the economy but sought to get in some light-hearted quips toward the end of the taping.

He said he had been working on his bowling game just below his new residence and recently rolled a 129.

“That’s very good, Mr. President,” cracked host Jay Leno.

"It's like — it was like Special Olympics, or something," the president replied.

Obama’s bowling skills, or lack thereof, have been a running joke since he fared poorly during an impromptu game at a Pennsylvania bowling alley during the Democratic primary last year.

SmthBluCitrus
03-20-2009, 11:24 AM
It's not reaching out -- it's the way he reached out. It's the way he's trying to sound like he's one of the guys. As if you'd trust one of your friends to be the President. I have some smart friends, but none of them are qualified to be a world leader. Why would I want my current leader to be like that?

I'm with you on that. I don't want our president to be an "every man" (or "every woman" for that matter). Faux-accents really irk me, too. Obama would try and sound folksy in the south, or more "black" when it was MLK day in '08.

But, it's a situation of damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. He'll face criticism either way -- so he might as well try populist appeal otherwise he stands the risk of being permanently labeled an "elitist." Elitism is much more damaging to a campaign than standard run of the mill populism. Look at 2000 and 2004 for the most recent examples of that.

You're not? I still get them weekly -- emails too, particularly from Plouffe.

Hawkize31
03-20-2009, 11:28 AM

The Tonight Show averages 5.7 million viewers and that number was way up last night. It was the 4th biggest night (http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/zontv/2009/03/leno_obama_overnight_ratings.html) for Leno ever actually.

And why are Leno viewers the lowest common denominator? Thats kind of funny to read. I'm sure cable news network viewers or discovery channel viewers are brilliant, maybe Obama should have been on Dirty Jobs instead... He's appearing in front of Americans, and in front of voters- if those people are the lowest common denominator and not worth the Presidents time, then its very good you are not a politician (at least I doubt it). Obama was trying to appeal to average Americans, the people hit hard by the economic crisis. Its not a bad thing at all.

behindmydesk
03-20-2009, 11:30 AM
The Tonight Show averages 5.7 million viewers and that number was way up last night. It was the 4th biggest night (http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/zontv/2009/03/leno_obama_overnight_ratings.html) for Leno ever actually.

And why are Leno viewers the lowest common denominator? Thats kind of funny to read. I'm sure cable news network viewers or discovery channel viewers are brilliant, maybe Obama should have been on Dirty Jobs instead... He's appearing in front of Americans, and in front of voters- if those people are the lowest common denominator and not worth the Presidents time, then its very good you are not a politician (at least I doubt it). Obama was trying to appeal to average Americans, the people hit hard by the economic crisis. Its not a bad thing at all.

Because it's a comedy show. SNL is popular why not that. Heck why doesn't he get on How I met your mother too.

hoosiercubsfan
03-20-2009, 11:39 AM
He's not so good at the whole interpersonal relations thing yet.

Ok here is my take on this whole issue/non issue. If Bush had said something to this effect he would have been blasted left and right in the main stream media for at least a week. But since Obama said it you may hear about it today but that will probably be about it and it will most likely only come from the Conservative talk shows. Conservatives/Republicans are held to a far different standard than Democrats. I don't think Obama even thought about the comment since he had to this point not been held to a higher standard that Conservatives are held to. So if for nothing else he will learn his lesson take his licks over this and not do it again.

Hawkize31
03-20-2009, 11:40 AM

Here (http://blog.mlive.com/cutoffman/2007/07/president_bush_predicts_tigers.html) is a 2007 interview Bush did with ESPN's Karl Ravech. Bush picked the Tigers as his World Series champ.

How is this any different than Obama picking his NCAA champions? Both were in office at the time.

Hawkize31
03-20-2009, 11:47 AM
nm

Wrigleyboy25
03-20-2009, 11:48 AM
What an idiot. He obviously hates people with disabilities.

PHX-SOXFAN
03-20-2009, 11:56 AM
he did pretty good overall last night. he went there to communicate some policy to the audience, humanize the position and make headway with some of his budget proposals.

he certainly didn't make himself look incompetent by not being able to say what mags or papers he read.

Cadarn
03-20-2009, 01:41 PM

Second, it was already on here in Iowa and my friend who was one of the biggest Obama supporters I know saw it and immediately recognized it as a gaffe. It doesn't take a staff of people scrutinizing a politician's words to find something that obvious, so its not really fair to act like thats what happened here.

Hopefully it blows over, but something tells me guys like Rush and O'Reilly are going to be quite visibily sympathetic to the special olympics cause for the next couple months, which I'm sure will have nothing to do with Obama's word choice.

I would lose my job if I made Obama's comment in a public forum.

Cubsrule
03-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Here (http://blog.mlive.com/cutoffman/2007/07/president_bush_predicts_tigers.html) is a 2007 interview Bush did with ESPN's Karl Ravech. Bush picked the Tigers as his World Series champ.

How is this any different than Obama picking his NCAA champions? Both were in office at the time.

Probably cause we weren't in an economic crisis.

Cubsrule
03-20-2009, 01:48 PM
he did pretty good overall last night. he went there to communicate some policy to the audience, humanize the position and make headway with some of his budget proposals.

he certainly didn't make himself look incompetent by not being able to say what mags or papers he read.

I don't think he made headway with anything. He was wasting his time on the Tonight Show which is known for comedy, not political forums.

behindmydesk
03-20-2009, 01:52 PM

Because bush did it doesn't make it ok that Obama did it, It's not ok for either. I do not remember that ever playing though, but none the less, Bush shouldn't have done it either.

cabernetluver
03-20-2009, 02:02 PM
I would lose my job if I made Obama's comment in a public forum.

Really? Exactly what statement would cause you to lose your job. Seriously?

I would look at someone with disdain, but would not fire them.

Zep
03-20-2009, 02:03 PM

Maybe he works for Rush?:shrug:

cabernetluver
03-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Maybe he works for Rush?:shrug:

:hi5:

b1e9a8r5s
03-20-2009, 02:07 PM

Well, I for one might. I work at a non profit organization that works with people with all kinds of developmental disabilities.

cabernetluver
03-20-2009, 02:13 PM
Well, I for one might. I work at a non profit organization that works with people with all kinds of developmental disabilities.

In your case, I would have to agree. I have a stepbrother who is developmentally disabled, and I salute you. That said, I still would not fire someone in the business that I have been in. I would give them a real dirty look. I might even tell them to watch it. But unless they are in your unique situation, where their attitude would in fact impact their aptitude, I would not fire them, even with my stepbrother.

ink
03-20-2009, 02:20 PM

You and me both. I coach ski racers with disabilities (physical, developmental, brain injury), ironically for the Special Olympics, in my spare time. Yup, I'd get fired if I made a comment like that, no doubt. And Obama was wrong to make a joke like that. He knows it and apologized right away. There's no excusing it but it's the kind of joke lots of people would have made 20 years ago. Dumb. But this will probably get more good press for people with disabilities in the next day or so than they've received in the last 5 years.

behindmydesk
03-20-2009, 02:22 PM
In your case, I would have to agree. I have a stepbrother who is developmentally disabled, and I salute you. That said, I still would not fire someone in the business that I have been in. I would give them a real dirty look. I might even tell them to watch it. But unless they are in your unique situation, where their attitude would in fact impact their aptitude, I would not fire them, even with my stepbrother.

Hmm, while I wouldn't either, is there really any difference between that and saying a derogatory word about one's color? That def will get your fired.

Of course for that to work obama probably would have had to say ******. Like i'm playing like a ******.

behindmydesk
03-20-2009, 02:23 PM
You and me both. I coach ski racers with disabilities (physical, developmental, brain injury), ironically for the Special Olympics, in my spare time. Yup, I'd get fired if I made a comment like that, no doubt. And Obama was wrong to make a joke like that. He knows it and apologized right away. There's no excusing it but it's the kind of joke lots of people would have made 20 years ago. Dumb. But this will probably get more good press for people with disabilities in the next day or so than they've received in the last 5 years.

I'd say far more people have made a remark about retards or special Olympics then haven't.

He didn't apologize right away, it was almost 12 hours later, but was before a group demanded an apology.

b1e9a8r5s
03-20-2009, 02:24 PM

No need for a salute. I don't work directly with the clients. I'm in the accounting department, but the clients are here most of the time at our main building. It makes it a rather interesting office experience.

ink
03-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Hmm, while I wouldn't either, is there really any difference between that and saying a derogatory word about one's color? That def will get your fired.

Of course for that to work obama probably would have had to say ******. Like i'm playing like a ******.

He was obviously trying to be self-deprecating but it was a stupid comparison to make.

cabernetluver
03-20-2009, 03:11 PM
He was obviously trying to be self-deprecating but it was a stupid comparison to make.

No one is defending his comment, what is good is to see such sensativity.

SmthBluCitrus
03-20-2009, 03:26 PM
I'd say far more people have made a remark about retards or special Olympics then haven't.

He didn't apologize right away, it was almost 12 hours later, but was before a group demanded an apology.

Actually, the Obama press staff headed by Gibbs issued an official retraction within 90 minutes. But, it wasn't until the morning news cycle that it ran.

Uncle Funster
03-20-2009, 04:13 PM
1. The President of the Unitied States should not be on The Tonight Show. Period.

2. His "gaffe" means nothing.

SmthBluCitrus
03-20-2009, 04:17 PM
1. The President of the Unitied States should not be on The Tonight Show. Period.

2. His "gaffe" means nothing.

1. I disagree. But, I've made my point. He reached a lot of people. I still haven't seen the thing in it's entirety, but any chance to get in front of an audience should be utilized. Our greatest Presidents have been the communicators.

2. I certainly agree. It'll get some play for a couple days and might get lampooned on SNL (I don't know if it's a new show this week or not), and then Monday is a new week.

Uncle Funster
03-20-2009, 04:19 PM
He has just demeaned the office to a new low. It is ridiculous and undignified. But so is America anymore...so WTF, right?

cabernetluver
03-20-2009, 04:20 PM
1. I disagree. But, I've made my point. He reached a lot of people. I still haven't seen the thing in it's entirety, but any chance to get in front of an audience should be utilized. Our greatest Presidents have been the communicators.

2. I certainly agree. It'll get some play for a couple days and might get lampooned on SNL (I don't know if it's a new show this week or not), and then Monday is a new week.

I forgot about SNL. I think you have it 100%

behindmydesk
03-20-2009, 04:24 PM
He has just demeaned the office to a new low. It is ridiculous and undignified. But so is America anymore...so WTF, right?

I missed you.

My sentiments exactly.

Uncle Funster
03-20-2009, 04:26 PM
I missed you.

My sentiments exactly.

I'm like herpes. I just wait for my time to come back.:rolleyes:

SmthBluCitrus
03-20-2009, 04:29 PM

I just don't see it that way. No exposure is bad exposure -- that is, unless he gets caught in some sort of love triangle with Oprah and Stedman.

behindmydesk
03-20-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm like herpes. I just wait for my time to come back.:rolleyes:

And with a pill you can kickbox and kayak! :D:D

Uncle Funster
03-20-2009, 04:30 PM
And with a pill you can kickbox and kayak! :D:D

Ha!:clap:

PHX-SOXFAN
03-20-2009, 04:36 PM
I just don't see it that way. No exposure is bad exposure -- that is, unless he gets caught in some sort of love triangle with Oprah and Stedman.

or if he can't answer an easy question and looks like a fool. he did neither so its fine.

ink
03-20-2009, 04:51 PM

I watched the whole interview last night. Except for the gaffe it was really good. At least half of the interview was actually good information about economic matters. There's no doubt whatsoever that people need that kind of access to the president on those concerns. I don't see why a talk show can't be a good venue for a political leader. (You should see how far Canadian political figures go on the Rick Mercer Report (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FGIQpdtS_Y) on CBC. Watch from 3:13 on ...)

In the end it will do more to raise awareness for a few days than anything else.

Cubsrule
03-20-2009, 04:53 PM
I watched the whole interview last night. Except for the gaffe it was really good. At least half of the interview was actually good information about economic matters. There's no doubt whatsoever that people need that kind of access to the president on those concerns. I don't see why a talk show can't be a good venue for a political leader. (You should see how far Canadian political figures go on the Rick Mercer Report (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FGIQpdtS_Y) on CBC. Watch from 2:23 on ...)

In the end it will do more to raise awareness for a few days than anything else.

It seems that with supporters every interview he gives is a good interview, too bad he can't govern as good as he can speak.

ink
03-20-2009, 04:56 PM
It seems that with detractors every interview he gives is a bad interview, too bad he can't govern as badly as he speaks.

Fixed that for ya. :D

After 59 days in office it's a bit early for major pronouncements either way.

Uncle Funster
03-20-2009, 04:56 PM
I watched the whole interview last night. Except for the gaffe it was really good. At least half of the interview was actually good information about economic matters. There's no doubt whatsoever that people need that kind of access to the president on those concerns. I don't see why a talk show can't be a good venue for a political leader. (You should see how far Canadian political figures go on the Rick Mercer Report (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FGIQpdtS_Y) on CBC. Watch from 2:23 on ...)

Did you just make a governmental comparison to Canada? Lord, stop it. After having to deal with Canadian co-ownership in a business venture, I have come to realize that that is one messed-up place. Hell, the mail system doesn't even work and the banks are so backwards that it takes over 10 days for a simple wire transaction.

So pardon us if we don't give a rat's hind quarters what the Canadian PM or Cabinet does on television. I'm sure that they participate in reality shows...

Cubsrule
03-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Fixed that for ya. :D

After 59 days in office it's a bit early for major pronouncements either way.

Not really, the guy has pushed a far left liberal agenda, technically at this point it seems Pelosi is in power and Obama's the puppet, you can fix all my quotes if that's what gets you off.

ink
03-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Did you just make a governmental comparison to Canada? Lord, stop it. After having to deal with Canadian co-ownership in a business venture, I have come to realize that that is one messed-up place. Hell, the mail system doesn't even work and the banks are so backwards that it takes over 10 days for a simple wire transaction.

So pardon us if we don't give a rat's hind quarters what the Canadian PM or Cabinet does on television. I'm sure that they participate in reality shows...

Parochial mood again today UF??

ink
03-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Not really, the guy has pushed a far left liberal agenda, technically at this point it seems Pelosi is in power and Obama's the puppet, you can fix all my quotes if that's what gets you off.

My point is that your response is as automatically negative as any supporter's response would be automatically positive. And if you'll notice just about every poster in this thread criticized him for the gaffe which the thread is about. So until this point most of the comments had been pretty balanced. Let's lay off the rhetoric ....

Cubsrule
03-20-2009, 05:04 PM
My point is that your response is as automatically negative as any supporter's response would be automatically positive. And if you'll notice just about every poster in this thread criticized him for the gaffe which the thread is about. So until this point most of the comments had been pretty balanced. Let's lay off the rhetoric ....

No its not, the guy has already alienated the Republican party and let Pelosi make some major decisions, it wouldn't be so negative if he could speak for himself and kick her and Harry Reid to the curb. I get it, the guy can ******** and speak as good as anyone, but to this point his judgement and governance has been crap. But then again that's my opinion.

Uncle Funster
03-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Parochial mood again today UF??

No. A comparative one. And it ain't pretty...:p

behindmydesk
03-20-2009, 05:06 PM
WTF Ink. That's a political leader? That's disgraceful. Wow Wow Wow.

ink
03-20-2009, 05:07 PM
No. A comparative one. And it ain't pretty...:p

You really can't post without insulting can you?

behindmydesk
03-20-2009, 05:08 PM
I still can't get over that video Ink. No offense but man compared to my normal life, your country is f'd up in the a

ink
03-20-2009, 05:13 PM
WTF Ink. That's a political leader? That's disgraceful. Wow Wow Wow.

You won't get any argument out of me. He's as incompetent as ... well ... as ... I won't say it. But anyway, there's good reason why he's only managed a minority government when the scandal-plagued Liberals who preceded him handed him his term in office.

Anyway, that was not intended to pull the thread off topic. Just an aside saying that popular media and political leaders can mix. That interview I posted actually endeared him to people believe it or not because it humanized him. That's all that appearances on talk shows really do.

Now, with that in mind, making a gaffe about the Special Olympics isn't going to do Obama any favors with a good part of the public. In all honesty, it went by pretty quickly, and like SBC said, it was responded to within 90 minutes. The overall effect of his appearance on Leno was pretty positive. I don't think that's a very contentious statement. :)

SmthBluCitrus
03-20-2009, 05:13 PM

What?!

The guy has had as many, if not more, critics from the left than he has from the right. Just three weeks ago it was congress that was running the far left liberal agenda -- and Obama was the mainstay between the aisles. And, that the legislators were happy about Obama's bipartisanship and outreach and disconcerted with the congressional effort.

He ran with a stim bill that was chalk full of tax cuts -- against the best wishes of the Democratic Party and liberal economists that wanted greater spending.

Uncle Funster
03-20-2009, 05:14 PM

Sorry if you take it that way, but if the shoe fits...

You're a Canadian commenting on a governemental system that you don't even participate in and then using Canadian standards for critical comparison. You're not going to get much love that way, son.;)

ink
03-20-2009, 05:14 PM
I still can't get over that video Ink. No offense but man compared to my normal life, your country is f'd up in the a

I wouldn't take it so seriously. It was a complete sendup.

Uncle Funster
03-20-2009, 05:15 PM

...I guess I'm not alone...:rolleyes:

ink
03-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Sorry if you take it that way, but if the shoe fits...

You're a Canadian commenting on a governemental system that you don't even participate in and then using Canadian standards for critical comparison. You're not going to get much love that way, son.;)

I'm not commenting on a governmental system. I'm commenting on a talk show appearance. Lest we forget what the topic of the thread is.

Uncle Funster
03-20-2009, 05:18 PM
I'm not commenting on a governmental system. I'm commenting on a talk show appearance. Lest we forget what the topic of the thread is.

I haven't forgotten. I/we were just pointing out that whatever the Canadian government is doing (on television or otherwise), we should do the opposite.

ink
03-20-2009, 05:20 PM
I haven't forgotten. I/we were just pointing out that whatever the Canadian government is doing (on television or otherwise), we should do the opposite.

Please stop baiting and insulting. I'm not biting. And I'm really not interested in conversation on this baiting level.

Uncle Funster
03-20-2009, 05:25 PM
Please stop baiting and insulting. I'm not biting. And I'm really not interested in conversation on this baiting level.

But it's OK for you to comment our country's government? Sorry, but tit-for-tat is the rule of the game if you want to play politics.

ink
03-20-2009, 05:29 PM
But it's OK for you to comment our country's government? Sorry, but tit-for-tat is the rule of the game if you want to play politics.

You are off-topic. I said nothing about who can or can't comment on whose government so you're barking up the wrong tree. This is a thread about a gaffe on a talk show.

Cubsrule
03-20-2009, 06:16 PM
What?!

The guy has had as many, if not more, critics from the left than he has from the right. Just three weeks ago it was congress that was running the far left liberal agenda -- and Obama was the mainstay between the aisles. And, that the legislators were happy about Obama's bipartisanship and outreach and disconcerted with the congressional effort.

He ran with a stim bill that was chalk full of tax cuts -- against the best wishes of the Democratic Party and liberal economists that wanted greater spending.

They're not technically tax rate cuts though, thus why the right refused to back them. If he was the voice of reason why did he let Obey and Pelosi write it?

SmthBluCitrus
03-20-2009, 06:34 PM
They're not technically tax rate cuts though, thus why the right refused to back them. If he was the voice of reason why did he let Obey and Pelosi write it?

They're nothing the left/far left faction of the Democratic Party wanted however. And, they were aimed at appeasing a conservative base. So, don't pretend like he's running an uber-liberal agenda. Especially one that is above and beyond what he campaigned on.

Cubsrule
03-20-2009, 06:40 PM
They're nothing the left/far left faction of the Democratic Party wanted however.

Of course not, the Dems never like letting the public keep their money, except for when it comes to them personally.

And, they were aimed at appeasing a conservative base.

The problem with that is they're not rate cuts, so obviously no conservative was gonna get behind them.

So, don't pretend like he's running an uber-liberal agenda. Especially one that is above and beyond what he campaigned on.

It's not pretending Pelosi has made a lot of the decisions, including some very important ones, I would say its very liberal, whether intentional or not.

SmthBluCitrus
03-20-2009, 06:47 PM
Of course not, the Dems never like letting the public keep their money, except for when it comes to them personally.

The problem with that is they're not rate cuts, so obviously no conservative was gonna get behind them.

It's not pretending Pelosi has made a lot of the decisions, including some very important ones, I would say its very liberal, whether intentional or not.

Your first comment there is wholly unfair. So, I'm going to absolutely disregard it and fail to comment.

And, you're left to your opinion on the tax cuts that were included in the stimulus bill. It's completely debatable -- if they're cutting, they're cutting. Republicans failed to sign off on that legislation so when it's campaigned on in two years it'll be about the Republicans failure and inability to give tax cuts to the American people. That's the way it'll play, and the GOP will have a difficult time with it.

While I'll agree on Pelosi to an extent (I'm certainly not her biggest fan), she's not the one signing her name in the Oval Office and she's not the one running the show -- regardless of what she may think. And, Obama has faced stiff criticism from the left (among others). So, I just don't buy the fact that it's assumed he's running a fierce liberal ship.

Cubsrule
03-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Your first comment there is wholly unfair. So, I'm going to absolutely disregard it and fail to comment.

:D

And, you're left to your opinion on the tax cuts that were included in the stimulus bill. It's completely debatable -- if they're cutting, they're cutting.

You could absolutely classify them as cuts SBC, but they're technically no different then the stimulus checks that we got last year, except we get them in increments every week.

Republicans failed to sign off on that legislation so when it's campaigned on in two years it'll be about the Republicans failure and inability to give tax cuts to the American people. That's the way it'll play, and the GOP will have a difficult time with it.

I doubt it, they just put out they're own stimulus and offered more money to the lower and middle class than Pelosi's stimulus did.

While I'll agree on Pelosi to an extent (I'm certainly not her biggest fan), she's not the one signing her name in the Oval Office and she's not the one running the show -- regardless of what she may think.

Then Obama needs to tell her that cause she thinks otherwise.

And, Obama has faced stiff criticism from the left (among others). So, I just don't buy the fact that it's assumed he's running a fierce liberal ship.

It's been pretty petty though, what particular event that he drew criticism are you referring to.

SmthBluCitrus
03-20-2009, 09:16 PM
It's been pretty petty though, what particular event that he drew criticism are you referring to.

Specifically some of his appointments. I don't recall which ones exactly -- Geithner was among them.

He also took some flack for the stimulus bill by a group of legislators and Tom Harkin was among them.

PHIfaninSPAIN
03-20-2009, 09:46 PM
There are other ways he could have made a joke about this. This is a joke I would have made if I were playing around with my friends. I wouldn't have said it if I were the POTUS anywhere because its innappropriate. But I'm not President so it doesn't matter. I wasn't offended by the joke but in the end he shouldn't have said it.

CubsGirl
03-20-2009, 09:54 PM
After watching the interview (which was REALLY good, btw), you could tell right after he said it that he was mentally going "WRONG choice of words," just by the face he was making.

All in all though, I'm glad he made himself that accessible to the public, that he opened himself to some particularly tough questions, and that he showed us he's still accessible even after being elected.

blenderboy5
03-20-2009, 11:22 PM
haha I love how the ******** bowler called Obama out on it. ****** PR but overall not that bad I guess. Still shouldn't have gone on Leno though.

behindmydesk
03-20-2009, 11:22 PM
That ******** bowler has bowled a 300 5 times. That's impressive.

DenButsu
03-20-2009, 11:46 PM
video?

behindmydesk
03-20-2009, 11:52 PM
Video as proof of the ******** bowler bowling 300? I don't have any

Here's an article though.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D971TJ1O0&show_article=1

ari1013
03-20-2009, 11:52 PM
That ******** bowler has bowled a 300 5 times. That's impressive.
Obama could get to 300 if he bowled 5 times. He'd have to add up the scores, but still... he can do anything! ;)

behindmydesk
03-20-2009, 11:54 PM
What pisses me off most about this whole thing, is him saying he can now bowl 129. That means he can now beat me.

CubsGirl
03-20-2009, 11:57 PM
Obama could get to 300 if he bowled 5 times. He'd have to add up the scores, but still... he can do anything! ;)
Don't hate on bad bowlers!

I really don't get it - I'm very athletic and I can play almost any sport relatively well, but I can't golf or bowl to save my life. My highest score in bowling is like 115, and I've never golfed because my golf score would probably be similar :laugh2:

behindmydesk
03-20-2009, 11:59 PM
Can't include golf CG. Especially since you have never learned and played baseball/softball. Golf is a different animal. I've taken countless lessons, but when you start playing golf at 23, after 15 years of playing baseball, you are fubard.

CubsGirl
03-21-2009, 12:01 AM
Can't include golf CG. Especially since you have never learned and played baseball/softball. Golf is a different animal. I've taken countless lessons, but when you start playing golf at 23, after 15 years of playing baseball, you are fubard.
When we went to the driving range once Mr. CG compared me to Charles Barkley :cry:

CubsGirl
03-21-2009, 12:06 AM
Haha, okay, after watching a Charles Barkley video, my swing isn't THAT bad.

But if I had to describe my "golf swing" (I hesitate NOT to use quotes) I think it probably really does look like swinging at a pitch in the dirt.

DenButsu
03-21-2009, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the article, bmd - what's up with your sig, btw?

CubsGirl
03-21-2009, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the article, bmd - what's up with your sig, btw?
He's just jealous because he's not part of the mod wrestling league.

Originally I was Chyna, but we passed that "honor" onto croce.

behindmydesk
03-21-2009, 12:09 AM
BMD despises wrestling. It infurates him. It's so damn messed up, and worthless, I wish it'd be banned. Last year I got into an argument on the cubs forum for calling someone white trash for liking wrestling. Well now a few of the mods in the cubs forum, and OOTP forum, are doing this we are WWF faction things in good fun. So I'm calling them white trash (thus trailer parks). I hate wrestling so much. It's so bad.

Basically I hate it so much, i'm 99% sure Obama is going to go on WWF show sometime soon and talk about the economy just to piss me off.

behindmydesk
03-21-2009, 12:10 AM
He's just jealous because he's not part of the mod wrestling league.

Originally I was Chyna, but we passed that "honor" onto croce.

Ha. I wouldn't want to be in any league that includes JD. :D

DenButsu
03-21-2009, 12:19 AM
There's a mod wrestling league?

behindmydesk
03-21-2009, 12:26 AM
Ha, I don't think it's real, just make believe.

But on this note I must bid PSD Political roundtable ado. I need some sleep, tomorrow me and friends are getting on a bus, and touring the wonderful (wonderful used very very very loosley) wineries in Michigan. Then coming back and having a bonfire at my best friends house, to celebrate spring. I'm hoping to see an owl, and then will enlighten the other 30 people (10 or so i've never met) about the federal reserve causing a depression.

CubsGirl
03-21-2009, 12:32 AM
Ha, I don't think it's real, just make believe.

But on this note I must bid PSD Political roundtable ado. I need some sleep, tomorrow me and friends are getting on a bus, and touring the wonderful (wonderful used very very very loosley) wineries in Michigan. Then coming back and having a bonfire at my best friends house, to celebrate spring. I'm hoping to see an owl, and then will enlighten the other 30 people (10 or so i've never met) about the federal reserve causing a depression.
If you want, I could tour the Livermore wineries (I live walking distance from those wineries AND a tasting "square" but I somehow got embarrassingly drunk at the square so I doubt I'll be back there.. ever), or even better, drive the one hour to Napa, and tour some real wineries. I could even pour one out for you. (But it would probably be port - blech.)

ari1013
03-21-2009, 09:34 AM
If you want, I could tour the Livermore wineries (I live walking distance from those wineries AND a tasting "square" but I somehow got embarrassingly drunk at the square so I doubt I'll be back there.. ever), or even better, drive the one hour to Napa, and tour some real wineries. I could even pour one out for you. (But it would probably be port - blech.)
I have a wedding to go to in Santa Barbara. How far is Napa from there? I'm thinking about take a week to finally explore the wines on the other side of the country.

FOBolous
03-21-2009, 09:45 AM

i love how hight and mighty some of you think you are

Wrigleyboy25
03-21-2009, 11:35 AM
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2009/03/special_olympics_bowler_says_h.html

CubsGirl
03-21-2009, 02:17 PM
I have a wedding to go to in Santa Barbara. How far is Napa from there? I'm thinking about take a week to finally explore the wines on the other side of the country.
Really far. My best friend lives in SB and when she comes home it's about a 9 hour train ride, 6 hour drive, and Napa is about an hour more from here. But if you REALLY wanted to go, it's definitely possible and worth it.

ari1013
03-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Really far. My best friend lives in SB and when she comes home it's about a 9 hour train ride, 6 hour drive, and Napa is about an hour more from here. But if you REALLY wanted to go, it's definitely possible and worth it.
Well if we're going for a week it's worth it. We routinely drive up to Minneapolis from here with no problems and that's almost 9 hours in the car.

Thanks CG.

dbroncos78087
03-21-2009, 03:17 PM

How is it farther by train than driving? I thought trains went about 150 miles per hour, am i mistaken or is it a weird path or something.

LetsGoA's
03-21-2009, 03:22 PM
I agree with others. Rookie move on obama's part. Makes me wonder about more to come.

ari1013
03-21-2009, 03:46 PM
How is it farther by train than driving? I thought trains went about 150 miles per hour, am i mistaken or is it a weird path or something.
trains make lots of stops. and we don't have the high speed rail yet. a regular train is going to go between 50-70 mph.

High speed trains in France can go up to 350 mph.

cabernetluver
03-21-2009, 04:23 PM
BMD despises wrestling. It infurates him. It's so damn messed up, and worthless, I wish it'd be banned. Last year I got into an argument on the cubs forum for calling someone white trash for liking wrestling. Well now a few of the mods in the cubs forum, and OOTP forum, are doing this we are WWF faction things in good fun. So I'm calling them white trash (thus trailer parks). I hate wrestling so much. It's so bad.

Basically I hate it so much, i'm 99% sure Obama is going to go on WWF show sometime soon and talk about the economy just to piss me off.

However, you might want to look into investing in the WWE. Their chart is kind of interesting.

cabernetluver
03-21-2009, 04:25 PM

I think I am up there sometime in the next couple of months on a teaching gig. I would rather go up to Mendacino. Yummy

CubsGirl
03-21-2009, 08:54 PM
I think I am up there sometime in the next couple of months on a teaching gig. I would rather go up to Mendacino. Yummy
Really? I haven't been to Mendocino, but I actually prefer Sonoma to Napa (even though they're pretty much right next to each other).

lakersrock
03-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Wow, so the slightly awkward feeling I have right now as an Obama supporter is how Bush supporters felt like 3 or 4 times a week for his entire presidency?

Ouch.

To be fair, I don't recall him making fun of mentally disabled people.

DenButsu
03-22-2009, 04:44 AM
To be fair, I don't recall him making fun of mentally disabled people.

No, Bush would never do anything like that (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRidam_UwTQ).

Apophis
03-22-2009, 05:20 AM
After watching the interview (which was REALLY good, btw), you could tell right after he said it that he was mentally going "WRONG choice of words," just by the face he was making.

All in all though, I'm glad he made himself that accessible to the public, that he opened himself to some particularly tough questions, and that he showed us he's still accessible even after being elected.

I agree with you... It was a very good interview...

I thought it was funny when Leno asked him. How cool is it to fly on air force one? and President Obama was like.. I think its very cool, especially when they give you that jacket with the emblem on it.. That made me laugh..and the question about if they throw the game when he plays basketball...

The Presidential quote of the night.. "The dog will be there shortly" :D

The accessbility part is soooo true..

I find it funny that alot of republicans are ripping the President apart because of what he said.. but these are the same people that are refusing some of the stimulous package money that goes towards special education.. How Ironic....

ari1013
03-22-2009, 09:10 AM
Really? I haven't been to Mendocino, but I actually prefer Sonoma to Napa (even though they're pretty much right next to each other).
One of my friends told me that the 3rd line of Cali wines actually comes from Santa Barbara so I might just do that to avoid the lost travel day.

nymetsrule
03-22-2009, 10:22 AM
No, Bush would never do anything like that (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRidam_UwTQ).

Bush is an idiot, he didn't realize the guy was blind. Obama blatantly made fun of ******** people.:rolleyes:

Plus, the president should not be a celebrity, go back to your office and do work, Obama.

nymetsrule
03-22-2009, 10:23 AM
I agree with you... It was a very good interview...

I thought it was funny when Leno asked him. How cool is it to fly on air force one? and President Obama was like.. I think its very cool, especially when they give you that jacket with the emblem on it.. That made me laugh..and the question about if they throw the game when he plays basketball...

The Presidential quote of the night.. "The dog will be there shortly" :D

The accessbility part is soooo true..

I find it funny that alot of republicans are ripping the President apart because of what he said.. but these are the same people that are refusing some of the stimulous package money that goes towards special education.. How Ironic....

And the democrats are the ones allowing huge percentages of the money to go to useless places.:rolleyes:

Republicans are not against stimulus, we are against stupid spending without any regulations on the money *cough* AIG *cough*

ari1013
03-22-2009, 10:27 AM
And the democrats are the ones allowing huge percentages of the money to go to useless places.:rolleyes:

Republicans are not against stimulus, we are against stupid spending without any regulations on the money *cough* AIG *cough*
Then why did Paulson ram the TARP down Congress's throat in the Fall?

SmthBluCitrus
03-22-2009, 11:16 AM

And, I'm sure we could come up with a laundry list of stupid expenditures dictated by the Republican led congress from 2001 - 2006 ...

Don't act like Republicans have the moral high ground on (or against) wasteful spending. Because, that's been proven over and over to be wrong.

hoosiercubsfan
03-22-2009, 02:41 PM
And, I'm sure we could come up with a laundry list of stupid expenditures dictated by the Republican led congress from 2001 - 2006 ...

Don't act like Republicans have the moral high ground on (or against) wasteful spending. Because, that's been proven over and over to be wrong.

You are absolutely right. In my opinion they are both absolute parasites to the American people Republican AND Democrat. Bush started us on the train to hell and Obama is doing every thing he can to hasten the trip. They are so busy pointing the finger at one another but they are the true problem. Obama puts forth a budget that is far grander and wider at expanding the deficit than Bush ever imagined but they want to yell and scream at how these stupid people at AIG got 120 million dollars that was contractually obligated to them.

I am done with the them against me attitude because at the end of the day we are a single people known as Americans. We don't put a damn D or an R at the end of our signatures. If it where up to me I'd vote the whole damn lot of them out every D and every R and start fresh with people that actually work for us like they are supposed to. If they gave a damn about balancing the budgets they could start work on it right away. But they don't all they care about is sending money to their pet project so that the people think they actually give a **** about them.

I was once blinded by the fact that I could call myself a Republican and the party actually somewhat stood for the values that I hold. But that just is not the case anymore these jokers where handed a golden ticket having both houses and the Presidency but did nothing but screw the country over with that power. Now it is the Dem's turn to do the exact same thing. You have the economy going straight to the crapper and you have the President going on Leno telling bad jokes. I don't want a celebrity I want someone who is going to be the pragmatic leader so many of you claimed he would be. I want him to get his *** off the TV and get back to work.

Our founding fathers would be sick to their stomachs if they saw the position we now have our country. We are so bitterly divided with this us vs. them bullcrap that we don't even know which way is up. I have finally woken up to the fact that my views are not that much different than most likely every other persons on this board just we have different ideas on how to get there. So I get tired of reading about who is pointing the finger in the other direction when the person they are defending probably had just as much to blame for what they are defending them over.

/Rant Off

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.

- John Adams

blenderboy5
03-22-2009, 05:12 PM
I find it funny that alot of Republicans are ripping the President apart because of what he said.. but these are the same people that are refusing some of the stimulous package money that goes towards special education.. How Ironic....

Stupid point, and by definition not ironic.

I'm against making fun of mentally ******** people in most cases (though obviously I enjoy un-PC jokes). But that doesn't mean I'm gonna favor useless spending just because the person the money is being spent on is ********.

I can be opposed to racist jokes without saying "Here's a trillion dollars, Black community."

cabernetluver
03-22-2009, 09:16 PM
One of my friends told me that the 3rd line of Cali wines actually comes from Santa Barbara so I might just do that to avoid the lost travel day.

The area is really called Central Coast, and it has a lot of fine places. That is the area I go to for a day trip.

Apophis
03-23-2009, 03:00 AM
^^^ I never been to Cali.. Im actually going there in August... Im going to the Wine areas to check them out..

We have Vinyards out here in Long Island... I do a lot of wine tasting during the season..

ari1013
03-23-2009, 08:35 AM
^^^ I never been to Cali.. Im actually going there in August... Im going to the Wine areas to check them out..

We have Vinyards out here in Long Island... I do a lot of wine tasting during the season..
Long Island's nice but if you really want some good wining, head up to the Finger Lakes between Cayuga and Seneca. There's some good stuff up there. The Rieslings are what upstate is known for, but IMO some of the Cab Francs up there hold up to any Cabs I've had (Franc or otherwise).

behindmydesk
03-23-2009, 08:52 AM
I went to wine country in the state of Michigan on Sat. It was an all day bus ride. I got to drunk

cabernetluver
03-23-2009, 08:33 PM
I went to wine country in the state of Michigan on Sat. It was an all day bus ride. I got to drunk

The question that comes to mind is, have you sobered up yet?

Randy West
03-23-2009, 08:37 PM

Yeah you want to head to the Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles areas for the central coast stuff.

My wife's family had a home in the Cambria area for a while. It is a great place to stay if you want to go running around wine tasting. I suggest seeing Hearst Castle if you get to the area it is pretty cool to check out

ari1013
03-23-2009, 11:11 PM
cool thanks!

Apophis
03-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Long Island's nice but if you really want some good wining, head up to the Finger Lakes between Cayuga and Seneca. There's some good stuff up there. The Rieslings are what upstate is known for, but IMO some of the Cab Francs up there hold up to any Cabs I've had (Franc or otherwise).

Thank you...I will check it out when i go to Cali...

Yeah you want to head to the Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles areas for the central coast stuff.

My wife's family had a home in the Cambria area for a while. It is a great place to stay if you want to go running around wine tasting. I suggest seeing Hearst Castle if you get to the area it is pretty cool to check out

Thanks for the info... good to know...

ari1013
03-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Thank you...I will check it out when i go to Cali...

Thanks for the info... good to know...
Finger Lakes are in NY!

downstaters :pity: