PDA

View Full Version : 14 year old Conservative Pundit

whitesoxfan83
03-08-2009, 04:31 PM
SITTING in the back seat of his mother’s van as she drives through Atlanta suburbs, Jonathan Krohn is about to sign off with a conservative radio talk show host in Florida. In the 40 minutes he’s been on the air, with the help of his mother’s cellphone, this hyper-articulate Georgia eighth grader has attacked the stimulus bill, identified leaders he thinks will salvage the Republican Party’s image, and assessed the legitimacy of Barack Obama’s birth certificate.

The show’s host chuckles and asks whether President Obama has called Jonathan “a little fascist.”

“The president hasn’t come after me yet,” Jonathan says chummily, “but we’ve had other people come after me!”

“Jonathan!” his mother hisses from the driver’s seat.

The interview concluded, Jonathan wistfully handed his mother her cellphone. His parents still won’t let him have one, even though he turned 14 last Sunday, right after he became an instant news media darling and the conservative movement’s underage graybeard at last weekend’s Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington.

The annual convention brings in the movement’s grand old lions, like Rush Limbaugh, as well as cubs to rally 8,500 of the faithful, who were shaken by the election of Barack Obama. Jonathan, a slight, home-schooled only child whose teeth are in braces, is so passionate about his beliefs that he spent his summer writing “Define Conservatism,” an 86-page book outlining what he says are its core values. In January, he contacted CPAC organizers, asking to speak there.

With some skepticism, they gave him a spot on a Friday panel of grassroots activists. But Jonathan, an experienced child actor, rocked the house with a three-minute speech, which was remarkable not so much for what he said, but his electrifying delivery. The speech was part pep talk, part book promotion. By Saturday morning, an archdeacon of the movement was saying, “I’m Bill Bennett: I used to work for Ronald Reagan and now I’m a colleague of Jonathan Krohn’s!”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/08/fashion/08conserve.html?hp?no_interstitial

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I am a registered Libertarian, i do not like either party so this isnt meant to be a Democrat's shot at the GOP...

But seriously? a 14 year old speaking at the PAC convention?

This dude doesnt even know what its like to pay taxes and hes trying to give advice to the American public?

And the republican party is giving him the platform to do it?

:laugh:

This is just such a sad sorry joke and even more proof the two party system needs to go.

We are now taking advice from 14 year olds....

It really hasnt gotten this bad has it?

Yogi
03-08-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm 14, and I consider myself conservative, but I don't stay inside all day writing books. He's 14 for crying out loud, shouldn't he be watching baseball or outside or something? If he's inside, shouldn't he at least be on some sort of social networking site? Geez...

I would like to call The Mark Levin Show sometime, he really likes it when young people call.

CubsGirl
03-08-2009, 05:21 PM

I am a registered Libertarian, i do not like either party so this isnt meant to be a Democrat's shot at the GOP...

This dude doesnt even know what its like to pay taxes and hes trying to give advice to the American public?

This is just such a sad sorry joke and even more proof the two party system needs to go.

I don't know what message they were trying to convey having him speak, or HOW they thought they weren't going to be made fun of, but...

Ultra fail

LetsGoA's
03-08-2009, 05:25 PM
I think the republicans will take anyone who can give half way coherent and non ludicrous statements at this point. Seriously you might as well replace the words republican base with 'the south' because that seems to be the only people listening these days.

behindmydesk
03-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Wow, why would anyone critize a 14 year old for doing this. I doubt most of us could write a 100 page book, and get it published.

Not to mention lets see Obama ran a whole campaign on getting young people involved. Whether he can vote yet or not, doesn't mean it's not awesome he's informed and learning.

Yogi
03-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Does anyone think the voting age should be lowered? I've had an opinion on politics since the 5th grade, and by 7th grade I was making posters.

blenderboy5
03-08-2009, 07:24 PM
No. If anything the voting age should be raised. And you should be able to prove you're coherent. Slightly kidding.

Anyway, this guy is like many libs: naive, living with his mom, not paying taxes...;)

And don't criticize someone who's gonna be much smarter/successful in the political arena than most posters here lol.

CubsGirl
03-08-2009, 08:45 PM
No. If anything the voting age should be raised. And you should be able to prove you're coherent. Slightly kidding.

Anyway, this guy is like many libs: naive, living with his mom, not paying taxes...;)

And don't criticize someone who's gonna be much smarter/successful in the political arena than most posters here lol.
I wasn't criticizing him, I was criticizing the GOP for inviting him to speak.

behindmydesk
03-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Does anyone think the voting age should be lowered? I've had an opinion on politics since the 5th grade, and by 7th grade I was making posters.

Oh god no. 21 should be the age.

torrance
03-08-2009, 09:20 PM
He's probably smarter than Palin, which still isn't saying much. As for him living a sheltered existence, that sounds about right for a life in politics. If the Republicans feel it's in their best interests to have a kid speaking on their behalf...so be it. Hitler was known for recruiting them early too.

blenderboy5
03-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Isn't there a rule in arguments about the first person to bring Hitler into a debate?

DodgersFan28
03-08-2009, 10:09 PM

Meanwhile you'd have praised the Dem party for giving him a platform if he was a Democrat. He'd be all over CNN/MSNBC/NY Times etc as the new god in development. :rolleyes:

Can we give the kid praise for his accomplishments without any sort of party politics getting in the way?

torrance
03-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Isn't there a rule in arguments about the first person to bring Hitler into a debate?

:laugh2: Sorry about that. It was the first association I had with young people in politics. I didn't think there was any real connection.

DenButsu
03-08-2009, 10:22 PM
I don't know what message they were trying to convey having him speak

"Hey, we have new, fresh ideas, too! We're not just the party of 'No'! "

dbroncos78087
03-08-2009, 10:31 PM

Having an opinion doesnt equate to having the ability to handle something like voting. I had an opinion in 5th grade to, it was "i hate school, i want to watch cartoon". If a candidate promised kids that he would win easily every year.

Sidious
03-08-2009, 10:55 PM
I guess McSame should have vetted this kid instead of Palin.

Drucifer
03-08-2009, 11:20 PM
Does anyone think the voting age should be lowered? I've had an opinion on politics since the 5th grade, and by 7th grade I was making posters.No. Most definitely no. I would advocate the age limit be raise to 25. Why, because people under 25 are swayed too easily to anything that is popular at the moment. The majority of them only think in the now and rarely look at the long term consequences of their actions.

blenderboy5
03-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Why, because Obama supporters are swayed too easily to anything that is popular at the moment. The majority of them only think in the now and rarely look at the long term consequences of their actions.

Fixed:D

LetsGoA's
03-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Why should children be allowed to vote, they can't even die fighting for their country. (The reason the age was lowered to 18 during the Vietnam era)

You arenot and never were eligible to be drafted and want to vote? I'd tell the kid to get back in line and wait like everyone else.

ari1013
03-08-2009, 11:35 PM
This is kind of sad. I'm sure the kid is a borderline genius, but it's still pretty sad that 40 year olds could potentially be getting life advice from a 14 year old.

DenButsu
03-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Fixed:D

Oh, I get it!!!!

:jumpy::jumpy::jumpy::jumpy::jumpy::jumpy::jumpy:

HAHAHHAHAAHAHAHA

ha ha... ha

ha

ha

blenderboy5
03-09-2009, 12:08 AM
Go play in a microwave, DB, I was kidding. Sometimes conservative bashing needs to be lightened up a bit.

whitesoxfan83
03-09-2009, 12:10 AM
The voting age should not be raised, how could the country justify taxing and drafting people at 18 without giving them a say in the way the country is run. That's not right.

whitesoxfan83
03-09-2009, 12:12 AM
seriously, look at this kid (http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/03/08/fashion/08convservative_600.jpg)...

tell me you cant look at that picture and not just laugh out loud, this guy is speaking at the PAC!

That's the state our politics is in?

gcoll
03-09-2009, 12:20 AM
Why should children be allowed to vote, they can't even die fighting for their country. (The reason the age was lowered to 18 during the Vietnam era)

You arenot and never were eligible to be drafted and want to vote? I'd tell the kid to get back in line and wait like everyone else.

I agree.

Allow 14 year olds to enlist!!!

ari1013
03-09-2009, 12:22 AM
seriously, look at this kid (http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/03/08/fashion/08convservative_600.jpg)...

tell me you cant look at that picture and not just laugh out loud, this guy is speaking at the PAC!

That's the state our politics is in?
OMG that's amazing!

DenButsu
03-09-2009, 01:01 AM
Go play in a microwave, DB, I was kidding. Sometimes conservative bashing needs to be lightened up a bit.

Aw, I'm not offended or anything, just a little disappointed... I thought you guys would have been able to come up with some post-Kool Aid material by now... But if you're still feeling it, think you're still getting some mileage with that, then go on and roll with it, man.

blenderboy5
03-09-2009, 01:30 AM
The voting age should not be raised, how could the country justify taxing and drafting people at 18 without giving them a say in the way the country is run. That's not right.

By visiting a college campus, seeing and interacting with the brightest of the people 18-25, and wondering if they know enough about politics to vote.

blenderboy5
03-09-2009, 01:32 AM
Doesn't that kid kinda look like a 14 year old Robert Novak? It's the glare.

njgaman
03-09-2009, 02:01 AM

neither does anyone in obama's cabinent apparently

blenderboy5
03-09-2009, 02:12 AM
Now come on, DB. That was a bit funny, if not uncreative.

Cubsrule
03-09-2009, 02:32 AM
neither does anyone in obama's cabinent apparently

Cubsrule
03-09-2009, 02:34 AM

So you're criticizing them for letting someone speak for what they believe in, thats kind of ignorant.

dbroncos78087
03-09-2009, 02:36 AM
Now come on, DB. That was a bit funny, if not uncreative.

I dont like this forum, almost any other forum on PSD i am DB, in here im not. It makes me unhappy.

whitesoxfan83
03-09-2009, 02:56 AM
By visiting a college campus, seeing and interacting with the brightest of the people 18-25, and wondering if they know enough about politics to vote.

and then after their done telling me i am too stupid to vote they can ship me off to die right before they grab my ankles and shake the change out of my pockets.

doesnt seem right does it?

If the Government wants to wait to tax me or draft me once they've decided i am able to vote, fine, but they cant have their cake and eat it to. If i'm going to pay taxes and run the risk of fighting in a war i dont believe in then i feel like i should atleast get to say who im voting for.

DenButsu
03-09-2009, 03:13 AM
I dont like this forum, almost any other forum on PSD i am DB, in here im not. It makes me unhappy.

I don't know who I am anymore. They keep changing my nickname.

QuietWyatt
03-09-2009, 03:47 AM
Wow, why would anyone critize a 14 year old for doing this. I doubt most of us could write a 100 page book, and get it published.

Not to mention lets see Obama ran a whole campaign on getting young people involved. Whether he can vote yet or not, doesn't mean it's not awesome he's informed and learning.

It's fairly easy to write a 100+ page book it just takes more than a year. Researching and reading your cited sources is the timely part, but I'm sure what he wrote is mostly crap, I don't have time to read it. :D

DenButsu
03-09-2009, 04:39 AM
It's fairly easy to write a 100+ page book it just takes more than a year. Researching and reading your cited sources is the timely part, but I'm sure what he wrote is mostly crap, I don't have time to read it. :D

Plus I'm sure he worked with a ghost wri-- I mean, "editor"...

yankeesmindset
03-09-2009, 07:28 AM
And whoever said that youth was wasted on the young?

blenderboy5
03-09-2009, 10:27 AM
and then after their done telling me i am too stupid to vote they can ship me off to die right before they grab my ankles and shake the change out of my pockets.

doesnt seem right does it?

If the Government wants to wait to tax me or draft me once they've decided i am able to vote, fine, but they cant have their cake and eat it to. If i'm going to pay taxes and run the risk of fighting in a war i dont believe in then i feel like i should atleast get to say who im voting for.

There really is no correlation between being able to take a bullet or pay taxes and the ability to make a rational decision in an election.

The only good thing is most young people (and for that matter, most politically stupid people) don't vote frequently.

But then you have those infernal "get out the vote campaigns," and that's absurd. Because if you don't know enough about the candidates or issues to vote, you shouldn't just vote for someone because Kanye says it's good.

spartanbear
03-09-2009, 05:58 PM
In this country with the way our media outlets work any and everything and is the flavor of the month. This kid included. I don't agree with the guy on anything but I wish him all the best. When you're a 14 year old political pundit, genius, etc. it's a great story but when he turns 19 or 25 or 30 he's just another guy grasping a mic and some power that'll need to fall in line with all the others. I think it's impressive though and I wish him all the best.

CubsGirl
03-09-2009, 06:20 PM
So you're criticizing them for letting someone speak for what they believe in, thats kind of ignorant.
Really? That's what you got out of it?

I was criticizing them because having a child speak at their convention, regardless of how super-neat his book is, is something that will get them laughed at.

Cubsrule
03-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Really? That's what you got out of it?

I was criticizing them because having a child speak at their convention, regardless of how super-neat his book is, is something that will get them laughed at.

So by that logic, having a child throw out the first pitch at a Cubs game will get the Cubs laughed at. That's really naive logic, they gave a kid a chance to talk about something he was passionate about and he did a good job of it.

CubsGirl
03-09-2009, 07:22 PM
So by that logic, having a child throw out the first pitch at a Cubs game will get the Cubs laughed at. That's really naive logic, they gave a kid a chance to talk about something he was passionate about and he did a good job of it.
Throwing out the first pitch isn't at all similar to being a speaker invited to a convention that represents your party. It's silly that you would make the comparison.

Cubsrule
03-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Throwing out the first pitch isn't at all similar to being a speaker invited to a convention that represents your party. It's silly that you would make the comparison.

How is it silly, one loves the Cubs, the other loves conservativism, one is rewarded for his passion by throwing out the first pitch, the other gets to speak at a big convention. Both are opportunities of a lifetime. I think I made a good comparison. The point is though it's stupid to criticize CPAC for letting a genius of a kid speak about conservatism, in which he did a great job of, and just say they fail because of it.

CubsGirl
03-09-2009, 07:31 PM
For the GOP to go "here is a 14-year-old who is representing us" sends the message to me that they have no one better to represent them so they picked a child. That is why I'm criticizing the GOP.

And for you to liken it to throwing out the first pitch at a baseball game is a silly comparison, and you know it. I'm sure someone else can pick it apart instead of me, but hopefully you'll look at it rationally and do it yourself.

Cubsrule
03-09-2009, 07:38 PM
For the GOP to go "here is a 14-year-old who is representing us" sends the message to me that they have no one better to represent them so they picked a child. That is why I'm criticizing the GOP.

Who said he represents the GOP, you are making that assertion and its both naive and ignorant. And he gave a great speech so I can't see how they failed.

And for you to liken it to throwing out the first pitch at a baseball game is a silly comparison, and you know it. I'm sure someone else can pick it apart instead of me, but hopefully you'll look at it rationally and do it yourself.

I don't think so, I made a pretty good comparison, so please by all means break it down.

blenderboy5
03-09-2009, 07:51 PM
They gave him four minutes, CG. It's kinda like a PR move. 14 year old rights a book, gets a few minutes, gets on tv. He's smarter than most of the people who voted anyway lol.

Cubsrule
03-09-2009, 08:06 PM
They gave him four minutes, CG. It's kinda like a PR move. 14 year old rights a book, gets a few minutes, gets on tv. He's smarter than most of the people who voted anyway lol.

Yet those four minutes lead to a GOP fail :rolleyes:

cabernetluver
03-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Thank you BB for letting me know that this entire thread is over a 4 minute speech at CPAC. On the one side, it was only 4 minutes. On the other side, in a limited amount of time, that is the best you could do? The GOP needs help, if this is the help it needs, Godspeed.

enserio
03-09-2009, 08:28 PM
^I saw this story, and let it just slide by me with the same attitude.

On the other hand - if anyone thinks they can really say that the GOP isn't lacking leadership, this would be one of the things I point to.

behindmydesk
03-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Thank you BB for letting me know that this entire thread is over a 4 minute speech at CPAC. On the one side, it was only 4 minutes. On the other side, in a limited amount of time, that is the best you could do? The GOP needs help, if this is the help it needs, Godspeed.

He's not leading anyone, he was there as wow that is cool. I don't see how anyone other then looking for a reason to laugh at the GOP would see this anything else then hey that's pretty cool.

lamar2006
03-09-2009, 10:39 PM
the republican party has become a joke. if jindal was your hope for 2012 I am afraid for you republicans. the GOP will never change its ways. they will continue being the white party and that alone wont win you any more races. i a proud lib will enjoy my democrats beating you in national races for the next 20 years

Cubsrule
03-09-2009, 10:50 PM
the republican party has become a joke. if jindal was your hope for 2012 I am afraid for you republicans. the GOP will never change its ways. they will continue being the white party and that alone wont win you any more races. i a proud lib will enjoy my democrats beating you in national races for the next 20 years

njgaman
03-10-2009, 12:10 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

ari1013
03-10-2009, 12:14 AM
I just watched it finally. I kept waiting for him to say what conservatism was (since he right away mentioned that people don't know what conservatism really means) but all he kept talking about was sticking to conservative principles. Never really got into that either.

Cubsrule
03-10-2009, 12:22 AM
I just watched it finally. I kept waiting for him to say what conservatism was (since he right away mentioned that people don't know what conservatism really means) but all he kept talking about was sticking to conservative principles. Never really got into that either.

"It is an ideology of protecting the people and the people's rights."

ari1013
03-10-2009, 12:32 AM
yes that was the last thing he said -- but that doesn't really mean anything. Protecting the people is the job of our government regardless of the party. And our rights are protected by the Constitution. So what exactly does Conservatism bring to the table and what are its principles?

Cubsrule
03-10-2009, 12:36 AM
yes that was the last thing he said -- but that doesn't really mean anything. Protecting the people is the job of our government regardless of the party. And our rights are protected by the Constitution. So what exactly does Conservatism bring to the table and what are its principles?

Conservatism means different things to different people, thus why its changed between countries and time periods, that might be what it means to him, being as the Republican party is looked to in issues pertaining to the military. He did list principles, but I imagine he wanted people to read his book, thus why he didn't give too much away.

blenderboy5
03-10-2009, 01:08 AM

Are you ignorant or just ridiculouslly obtuse to irony?

blenderboy5
03-10-2009, 01:10 AM
Conservatism means different things to different people, thus why its changed between countries and time periods, that might be what it means to him, being as the Republican party is looked to in issues pertaining to the military. He did list principles, but I imagine he wanted people to read his book, thus why he didn't give too much away.

And again, it was only 4 minutes. Hard to get into the principles of even Burke in just four minutes. And if he wanted to talk about the different branches of conservatism, or even its roots in liberalism... ugh.

ari1013
03-10-2009, 01:13 AM
I watched it again. He definitely didn't list the principles. I'm not trying to be a hard *** here. I plan on looking at his book next time I get to a Borders. I'm really curious to see what a 14 year old political genius has to say. My guess is that his lack of worldly experience is going to show through, but who knows?

As for his definition of conservatism, basically he's saying the Right believes in heavy defense funding and libertarianism regarding social policy. Is that right?

Cubsrule
03-10-2009, 01:31 AM
I watched it again. He definitely didn't list the principles. I'm not trying to be a hard *** here.

They were pretty broad like value of life and what not, but its a lot more than I knew at his age.

I plan on looking at his book next time I get to a Borders. I'm really curious to see what a 14 year old political genius has to say. My guess is that his lack of worldly experience is going to show through, but who knows?

Possibly, but who knows.

As for his definition of conservatism, basically he's saying the Right believes in heavy defense funding and libertarianism regarding social policy. Is that right?

If that's the way you take it I guess, like I said it means different things for different people and cultures.

DodgersFan28
03-10-2009, 03:27 AM
The analogy to throwing out the first pitch at a Cubs game is flawed. A better analogy would be that this is like the Cubs bringing out a 14 year old to make his Major League debut, and he hits one in the gap in his first pinch-hitting performance. It's supposed to showcase the young up & coming future of the party.

I don't see anyone laughing at the Democrats when they talk to college activist students who are as young as 17, or high school activist students who are as young as this kid was. Sure looks like it's only GOP fail simply because it's the GOP, and everything they do, without exception, is a fail in the eyes of a hardcore lefty. :rolleyes: