PDA

View Full Version : Browns sign TE Robert Royal

prodigy
03-05-2009, 10:33 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Ex-Bills-TE-Royal-comes-to-terms-with-Browns;_ylt=AtIAXWXJR4UcCBUXJpus1DU5nYcB?urn=nfl,1 45995

I don't mind it. he is a good blocker with good hands. The Browns want 3 TE's.

phitautimmy
03-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Some mocks have the browns going after a TE with our first pick in the 2nd round. I hope the TE depth now address that need and we start fixing our defense.

Hermie13
03-05-2009, 01:37 PM
yeah I like the pick for that reason. Don't need to draft a TE now.

Only 'TE' I'd consider is Barwin. He's a DE/OLB/TE. Would be more OLB for us but would be a great goalline TE as well. If he falls to the late 2nd round I'd be take him in a heartbeat.

TheRedMarauder
03-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Browns signed TE Robert Royal, formerly of the Bills. Scout.com's Adam Caplan reports the deal is worth $10 million over four years.

It only includes $3M guaranteed, but is essentially the same deal Buffalo gave Royal three offseasons ago. Now 31, Royal figures to be the Browns' starting tight end with Martin Rucker working in on passing downs. Neither is likely to catch more than 30 passes or be worth fantasy consideration.

rotoworld

Rockets&Browns
03-05-2009, 01:44 PM
yeah I like the pick for that reason. Don't need to draft a TE now.

Only 'TE' I'd consider is Barwin. He's a DE/OLB/TE. Would be more OLB for us but would be a great goalline TE as well. If he falls to the late 2nd round I'd be take him in a heartbeat.

The way everyone was talking about the Kellen trade was as if ManKok was satisfied with Heiden and Rucker, but obviously they weren't. They are just cleaning house. But Barwin looks like the second coming of Vrabel, but faster!

Hermie13
03-05-2009, 01:54 PM
The way everyone was talking about the Kellen trade was as if ManKok was satisfied with Heiden and Rucker, but obviously they weren't. They are just cleaning house. But Barwin looks like the second coming of Vrabel, but faster!

You HAVE to have 3 TEs on your roster for a goalline formation. The browns were always gonna add another TE. It has nothing to do with not being satisfied with Heiden and Rucker.

I do like the Vrabel/Barwin comparison though. I just hope Barwin lasts as long in the draft as Vrabel did :clap:

Rockets&Browns
03-05-2009, 01:56 PM
You HAVE to have 3 TEs on your roster for a goalline formation. The browns were always gonna add another TE. It has nothing to do with not being satisfied with Heiden and Rucker.

I do like the Vrabel/Barwin comparison though. I just hope Barwin lasts as long in the draft as Vrabel did :clap:

Well I know you need 3 TE's, but people are talking as if Royal will be pushed into the starting lineup or a competition for that as well. I'm just hoping Rucker turns out to be who we hoped when we drafted him!

Hermie13
03-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Well I know you need 3 TE's, but people are talking as if Royal will be pushed into the starting lineup or a competition for that as well. I'm just hoping Rucker turns out to be who we hoped when we drafted him!

eh, I still think Heiden will be the starter. He's very underrated IMO. Royal will get a good amount of playing time though. Rucker is the wild card. We'll see how he progresses.

We'll likely see a bunch of double TE sets this upcoming year too I'd imagine.

Stonevision
03-05-2009, 07:42 PM
So it looks like the Browns wanna run the ball.... Royal is a roadgrader as far as TE's go. He had a lot to do with Marshawn Lynch's success in Buffalo as he sometimes looked like a 6th OL. His hands are pretty good too.
I like the interest in Connor Barwin folks. Seems like a Mangini type of player. Versitile and a special team standout. Hopefully he will last until the Brown's 4th round pick. He's be a ST contributor right out of the gate and a prospect at OLB.

Rockets&Browns
03-05-2009, 08:18 PM
So it looks like the Browns wanna run the ball.... Royal is a roadgrader as far as TE's go. He had a lot to do with Marshawn Lynch's success in Buffalo as he sometimes looked like a 6th OL. His hands are pretty good too.
I like the interest in Connor Barwin folks. Seems like a Mangini type of player. Versitile and a special team standout. Hopefully he will last until the Brown's 4th round pick. He's be a ST contributor right out of the gate and a prospect at OLB.

There is nothing wrong with a smashmouth approach as long as we get someone to help Jamal. Also Barwin won't last to the 4th round. His stock rose after the combine.

Stonevision
03-06-2009, 02:08 AM
There is nothing wrong with a smashmouth approach as long as we get someone to help Jamal. Also Barwin won't last to the 4th round. His stock rose after the combine.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Brown's identity needs to be a ball-control, run you into the ground scheme which is how football is won, especially in the AFC north. That's why in a perfect world the Browns will trade down to 10-14 and grab a couple more picks while taking Merino or Wells and then building the defense or take a stud LB and then McCoy, Ringer, etc.
The only way the Browns get Barwin is if they get into the early 3rd round and have most needs covered. Make it happen Mankok!!!

phitautimmy
03-06-2009, 09:50 AM
NFL networks Mike Mayock see's Conner Barwin as a special player and a hidden gem in the draft. Don't expect him to last past the second round.

Hermie13
03-09-2009, 12:53 PM

yeah....the Browns will be lucky if he lasts until our second 2nd rounder. No way he falls to the 4th or even the 3rd. Was projected as a 2nd rounder even before his great combine performance. He'd be a bit of a stretch with our first 2nd rounder.....but not greatly, especially if we somehow don't go with an OLB in the 1st round....