PDA

View Full Version : New Possibilities at Defense

Jersey Mike
02-19-2009, 06:16 PM
"Figuring out what Lou Lamoriello is going to do at the trade deadline is a fool's errand, so here goes. Dig we must.

Surely, the Devils' general manager is in it if there's any chance of prying Scott Niedermayer or Chris Pronger from the Ducks, but failing there, sources have touted Coyotes Derek Morris and Ed Jovanovski as his likely quarries.

By going 31-16-1 without Martin Brodeur as they visit the Lightning here tonight (7:30, MSG, WFAN), the Devils virtually have forced Lamoriello to pump his team for a run at the Cup, the 1-in-30 shot Jamie Langenbrunner says "would be a disappointment" if they didn't win.

Even before the Canadiens opened the March 4 trade deadline season early by acquiring Mathieu Schneider from Atlanta this week, Morris was tabbed as the "defenseman most likely to move," by one of the top talent-pluckers in the game.

Morris is unrestricted after this season, and others who would know say he would fit the Devils perfectly, his average speed being less of a problem in New Jersey than in the Wild West. Morris still owns all the skills that made him such a splash as a kid, a strong puck-mover, sharp on the power play, and possessor of a good shot. And oh, he's a righty, and the Devils don't have any of those, in case anyone hadn't noticed.

Jovanovski has another $6 million year ahead, and the Coyotes probably want out from that financial hole. The big presence on the blue line the Devils need, and again, the massive shooter, Jovanovski would be a suitable substitute for Pronger. Toronto's Tomas Kaberle also figures to be available.

The cost is what likely will determine what Lamoriello lands. He has an extremely good thing going with this bunch of players, and would be wise not to inject a jerk, or rip too many solid personalities from it. He may not have to shoot the moon, but he does have to take a shot."

Here is the link:

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/lou-tryin-to-put-devils-over-the-top--204365.html

NjDevilsFan
02-20-2009, 01:19 PM
I have heard Ed Jovanoski and Derek Morris might be available from the Coyotes (more so Derek Morris) which would both be great pickups but what would we have the give up to get it?

JetsYanksDevils
02-20-2009, 07:01 PM
im for getting a defensemen but we cant give up someone thats crucial to the team I would trade pando and rupp..those are the only two players i would trade unless we get pronger or niedemyer than maybe id make a trade but i just dont wanna see the team fall apart cuz of a bad trade

tigeronio
02-24-2009, 01:27 PM
Simple, Buffalo needs a goaltender, we need a defenseman. 1 for 1 - Clemmensen for Spacek. He has good numbers for a defenseman, and with Marty coming back, Clemenssen won't be playing nearly as much anyway.

Zackdog
02-26-2009, 08:51 AM
Swing for the fences and send Clemmer, Gionta, Greene, + 2nd round pick to Colorado for Hejduk and Leopold.

Hejduk is an offensive upgrade to Gionta and under contract for one more year for $3.9M (or probably less than Gionta will ask for).

Leopold is UFA this summer had brings more offense than Greene who is RFA this summer.

Colorado needs a goalie.

That's all the Devils need to do.

pwrmngr
02-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Send Weekes not Clemmer, Pandolfo and Greene :)

BranWingss
02-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Swing for the fences and send Clemmer, Gionta, Greene, + 2nd round pick to Colorado for Hejduk and Leopold.

Hejduk is an offensive upgrade to Gionta and under contract for one more year for $3.9M (or probably less than Gionta will ask for).

Leopold is UFA this summer had brings more offense than Greene who is RFA this summer.

Colorado needs a goalie.

That's all the Devils need to do.

I like that trade,alot but the Avs,don't want n e more high cap players,Gionta

HOWLEYWOOD
02-27-2009, 10:44 PM
I'm all for upgrading the team at defense, but let's honestly think. It is really that important? With the chemistry this team has showed in Brodeur's absence why not just keep riding this momentum, without disrupting the locker room and creating distractions. Brodeur is back and we are an elite team in the east right now, having already beaten the top teams from the East and West within the past few weeks so it can obviously be done. Let's just keep focusing on winning.

JetsYanksDevils
02-28-2009, 01:24 AM
well getting a good defender will really strengthen are team cuz the only weak spot on are team is D with Andy Greene and he has played good but thats the only spot on the team where we could replace someone to benefit the team. I like are team the way they are so whether they get some1 or not ill be happy

pwrmngr
03-01-2009, 07:35 PM
way we are going we dont need any puck moving defenceman.

njbravefan
03-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Devils acquired Niclas Havelid from Atlanta for Salmela