PDA

View Full Version : Memphis, officially time to start talking...

Deezy Dee 24
02-12-2009, 11:34 PM
with only 30 games left in the 08-09 season for the Grizzlies,
its time to start looking to the trade deadline, off-season, draft, and essentially next season.
on this thread, what do you think the best moves are for the Grizzlies?

who should we trade, who should we draft, who should we sign
who should we hand the keys to? OJ? Rudy? both? or neither?

thoughts.

I Am Awesome-O
02-13-2009, 12:28 AM
I think we can really only start talking about the offseason after the trade deadline. I am still hoping for a big trade to happen. We were in serious talks about acquiring Amare Stoudemire, but after we declined the Suns' offer, those talks have sizzled.

Now there are reports about the Grizzlies possibly acquiring Michael Beasley in a 3-team trade featuring Amare Stoudemire between Phoenix, Miami, and the Grizz. There haven't been any reports on the specifics of the proposed deal, but I really hope that we could swing a deal for Beasley without giving up Rudy Gay. Here is a deal that I think would work out for all teams-

Memphis gets- Michael Beasley, Mark Blount
Phoenix gets- Mike Conley, Hakim Warrick, this year's first round pick from Memphis (top-1 protected), and Greg Buckner.
Miami gets- Amare Stoudemire

Phoenix gets immediate cap/tax savings, Steve Nash's eventual successor in Mike Conley, a top-10 pick in this year's draft, and the expiring contracts of Hakim Warrick and Greg Buckner. You could add sweetners to their side, such as Darrell Arthur, Daequan Cook, a future 1st round pick from Miami,or the Lakers' 2010 first round pick that belongs to Memphis.

Miami gets Amar'e Stoudemire without having to give up both Marion and Beasley, and they also shed Mark Blount's ridiculous contract.

Memphis gets Michael Beasley without having to give up Rudy Gay, and they have a monster core of Mayo, Gay, and Beasley. Both Darko and Blount's contracts expire in 2010, leaving them tons of money to re-sign Gay. This does seem like a lot to give up for Beasley and a crappy contract, but pulling off a deal like this would give the Grizz their 3 stars of the future, and would only need role players after a blockbuster trade like this. All we would need is a solid, role playing guard to put next to O.J. Mayo (preferably one that can shoot), which could be found in the 2nd round of the draft (i.e. Mario Chalmers, Ramon Sessions), and we would have our starting five of the future.

I think it's a win-win for all sides, but it just seems too good to be true. As you can see, so many things can happen before the trade deadline. When we get passed the deadline, then we can start talking about the draft, free agency, etc.

Big Quett
02-13-2009, 12:47 PM
I think we can really only start talking about the offseason after the trade deadline. I am still hoping for a big trade to happen. We were in serious talks about acquiring Amare Stoudemire, but after we declined the Suns' offer, those talks have sizzled.

Now there are reports about the Grizzlies possibly acquiring Michael Beasley in a 3-team trade featuring Amare Stoudemire between Phoenix, Miami, and the Grizz. There haven't been any reports on the specifics of the proposed deal, but I really hope that we could swing a deal for Beasley without giving up Rudy Gay. Here is a deal that I think would work out for all teams-

Memphis gets- Michael Beasley, Mark Blount
Phoenix gets- Mike Conley, Hakim Warrick, this year's first round pick from Memphis (top-1 protected), and Greg Buckner.
Miami gets- Amare Stoudemire

Phoenix gets immediate cap/tax savings, Steve Nash's eventual successor in Mike Conley, a top-10 pick in this year's draft, and the expiring contracts of Hakim Warrick and Greg Buckner. You could add sweetners to their side, such as Darrell Arthur, Daequan Cook, a future 1st round pick from Miami,or the Lakers' 2010 first round pick that belongs to Memphis.

Miami gets Amar'e Stoudemire without having to give up both Marion and Beasley, and they also shed Mark Blount's ridiculous contract.

Memphis gets Michael Beasley without having to give up Rudy Gay, and they have a monster core of Mayo, Gay, and Beasley. Both Darko and Blount's contracts expire in 2010, leaving them tons of money to re-sign Gay. This does seem like a lot to give up for Beasley and a crappy contract, but pulling off a deal like this would give the Grizz their 3 stars of the future, and would only need role players after a blockbuster trade like this. All we would need is a solid, role playing guard to put next to O.J. Mayo (preferably one that can shoot), which could be found in the 2nd round of the draft (i.e. Mario Chalmers, Ramon Sessions), and we would have our starting five of the future.

I think it's a win-win for all sides, but it just seems too good to be true. As you can see, so many things can happen before the trade deadline. When we get passed the deadline, then we can start talking about the draft, free agency, etc.

No i hate this deal. I cant believe im saying this. But i dont want Mike Jr.involved in any trade scenario.

And you are basically giving the Suns 2 lottery picks in Mike and this year's pick. And top 1 protected is a joke. I think all of us Grizz fans pretty much know we are not going to win the draft lottery. For all of this i would rather have Amare.

And we already have stars for the future. In Mayo, Mike Jr., Gay and Gasol. I would rather trade Rudy rather than Mike Jr.

I Am Awesome-O
02-14-2009, 02:41 PM
No i hate this deal. I cant believe im saying this. But i dont want Mike Jr.involved in any trade scenario.

And you are basically giving the Suns 2 lottery picks in Mike and this year's pick. And top 1 protected is a joke. I think all of us Grizz fans pretty much know we are not going to win the draft lottery. For all of this i would rather have Amare.

And we already have stars for the future. In Mayo, Mike Jr., Gay and Gasol. I would rather trade Rudy rather than Mike Jr.

That's one perennial all-star in Mayo, a 2-4 time all-star in Gay, and two players that will never be stars in Conley in Gasol. They could both be solid starters, but neither of them will be stars.

To be a championship contending team, you need three stars (i.e. Boston, San Antonio), or you need to have one mega-star (Cleveland, L.A., Miami). Right now, Memphis has neither. We need that third star to be set for the future.

In a small market like Memphis, you have to acquire stars through trades or the draft. I don't see the Grizzlies getting a star in the draft this year, because we will most likely get screwed in the lottery and miss out on the chance to draft Griffin or Monroe.

That is why I brought a trade like this up. We would get our third star in Beasley without having to give up one of our two current stars. You mean to tell me that you wouldn't give up Conley for the chance to get Beasley? Then you said that you would rather trade Gay than Conley? Thank God you are not running this organization. All that being said, I think a deal like this is pretty impossible now that Miami has traded for Jermiane O'Neal.

I do agree with you that we should get Stoudemire instead, but I just don't want to see him walk in 2010, leaving us with just Mayo. However, if he would agree to sign an extension with the Grizzlies as soon as he got traded, I would give up anyone except for O.J. to get him. A tandem of Amare Stoudemire and O.J. Mayo would be ridiculous. We wouldn't even need a third star because Stoudemire is already a megastar, and Mayo has the potential to be that. We would only need role players after that.

Big Quett
02-14-2009, 04:55 PM
That's one perennial all-star in Mayo, a 2-4 time all-star in Gay, and two players that will never be stars in Conley in Gasol. They could both be solid starters, but neither of them will be stars.

To be a championship contending team, you need three stars (i.e. Boston, San Antonio), or you need to have one mega-star (Cleveland, L.A., Miami). Right now, Memphis has neither. We need that third star to be set for the future.

In a small market like Memphis, you have to acquire stars through trades or the draft. I don't see the Grizzlies getting a star in the draft this year, because we will most likely get screwed in the lottery and miss out on the chance to draft Griffin or Monroe.

That is why I brought a trade like this up. We would get our third star in Beasley without having to give up one of our two current stars. You mean to tell me that you wouldn't give up Conley for the chance to get Beasley? Then you said that you would rather trade Gay than Conley? Thank God you are not running this organization. All that being said, I think a deal like this is pretty impossible now that Miami has traded for Jermiane O'Neal.

I do agree with you that we should get Stoudemire instead, but I just don't want to see him walk in 2010, leaving us with just Mayo. However, if he would agree to sign an extension with the Grizzlies as soon as he got traded, I would give up anyone except for O.J. to get him. A tandem of Amare Stoudemire and O.J. Mayo would be ridiculous. We wouldn't even need a third star because Stoudemire is already a megastar, and Mayo has the potential to be that. We would only need role players after that.

You go on and on about needing 3 stars and then u say trade Rudy Mike and Hak for Amare. Wouldn't that put us right back at square 1? And you say thank god im not running the franchise. They obviously feel the same way which why they offered Kyle instead of Mike Jr

And the reason i say keep Mike Jr is because he fits better with Mayo. Which is how this team needs to be built. It still looks awkward when Rudy and OJ are on the floor together.

And watching Mike the last 10 games he has been a different player. I think it is easier to find a good point then a nothing but scoring wing.

Deezy Dee 24
02-14-2009, 06:32 PM
yes i say do the trade for amare if he signs extension but dnt trade mike trade lowry.
you said we offered lowry?
is this true?
are the suns thinkin bout it

I Am Awesome-O
02-14-2009, 08:39 PM
You go on and on about needing 3 stars and then u say trade Rudy Mike and Hak for Amare. Wouldn't that put us right back at square 1? And you say thank god im not running the franchise. They obviously feel the same way which why they offered Kyle instead of Mike Jr

And the reason i say keep Mike Jr is because he fits better with Mayo. Which is how this team needs to be built. It still looks awkward when Rudy and OJ are on the floor together.

And watching Mike the last 10 games he has been a different player. I think it is easier to find a good point then a nothing but scoring wing.

Where is there a report that says we offered Kyle instead of Mike? I doubt this is true. If our unwillingness to part with Conley is what has kept us from getting Stoudemire, then this front office really doesn't have half a brain.

Look, I am an avid Mike Conley fan; he's a great guy, I was very high on him coming out of Ohio State, and I think he will be a good starter in this league. But you can't tell me that you rather have him than Amare Stoudemire.

I know the Suns' proposal had us giving up a lot, but the Grizz have to realize how huge Stoudemire would be for us. As long as Stoudemire agreed to sign an extension, I really would give up Gay, Conley, and Hak for him. He is exactly the guy O.J. needs in the post; a monster offensive threat that can score on anyone and plays even better in the postseason. He and Mayo would compliment each other perfectly. Now if he didn't agree to an extension, than I don't blame the Grizz for passing up on this deal, because he would just leave in 2010.

Also, Conley is a horrible fit next to O.J. They both need the ball in their hands, and Mayo needs a guard like Kirk Hinrich next to him that can stretch the defense by hitting open threes. Conley can't shoot. They just don't fit in well with each other. This is why I wouldn't mind giving him up if it meant us getting Stoudemire. Gay's not a great fit next to Mayo either, but he is a much better player than Conley, which makes up for that.

Deezy Dee 24
02-14-2009, 09:24 PM
the three team trade rumor says us trading rudy to phoenix, amare to miami, and we get beasley??
rudys better than beasley.
rudy should go to heat,
we get amare,
and the suns get beasley

Big Quett
02-15-2009, 05:27 AM
Where is there a report that says we offered Kyle instead of Mike? I doubt this is true. If our unwillingness to part with Conley is what has kept us from getting Stoudemire, then this front office really doesn't have half a brain.

Look, I am an avid Mike Conley fan; he's a great guy, I was very high on him coming out of Ohio State, and I think he will be a good starter in this league. But you can't tell me that you rather have him than Amare Stoudemire.

I know the Suns' proposal had us giving up a lot, but the Grizz have to realize how huge Stoudemire would be for us. As long as Stoudemire agreed to sign an extension, I really would give up Gay, Conley, and Hak for him. He is exactly the guy O.J. needs in the post; a monster offensive threat that can score on anyone and plays even better in the postseason. He and Mayo would compliment each other perfectly. Now if he didn't agree to an extension, than I don't blame the Grizz for passing up on this deal, because he would just leave in 2010.

Also, Conley is a horrible fit next to O.J. They both need the ball in their hands, and Mayo needs a guard like Kirk Hinrich next to him that can stretch the defense by hitting open threes. Conley can't shoot. They just don't fit in well with each other. This is why I wouldn't mind giving him up if it meant us getting Stoudemire. Gay's not a great fit next to Mayo either, but he is a much better player than Conley, which makes up for that.

It was reported on ESPN that the Grizz would rather give up Kyle than Mike. And i think it is fairly obvious that we would want to give up our back-up point rather than the starter.

And you say Mike cant shoot? He is shooting better since Hollins has come aboard. By trading him you would be okay with Kyle taking extra shoots?

And of course i would rather have Amare over Mike. That is not the question. The question is rather i would have Amare over Hak Mike and Rudy and the answer is no. By trading for Amare you would be creating more problems than solving them. Sure the Pf position would be great. But what about the point and sf. Ross and Kyle. and you talk about shooting?

And Amare wasnt happy when they were a contender a few years ago. Do you really think he would be happy wasting the rest of his year on a team that is going nowhere this year? And if he cant lead the Suns to a better record then they have right now. What makes you think he could led the Grizz anywhere with less talent then the Suns do.

They is almost no point to trade for him now. Why so we can win 15 more games this year rather than 10. I say wait for the summer. We aren't going anywhere now. By then we would know what draft pick the NBA screwed us over with again. And we could include the pick if it is not number 1. Which it won't.

I Am Awesome-O
02-15-2009, 09:30 PM
It was reported on ESPN that the Grizz would rather give up Kyle than Mike. And i think it is fairly obvious that we would want to give up our back-up point rather than the starter.

That was just Geoff Galkins speculating in a Commercial Appeal article, he wasn't saying that the Grizzlies made that offer.

And you say Mike cant shoot? He is shooting better since Hollins has come aboard. By trading him you would be okay with Kyle taking extra shoots?

He is shooting better, but keep in mind that he really only takes wide open threes. And yes, I would be okay with Lowry taking the extra shots this year. Keep in mind that if the Grizz gave up Rudy, Conley, and Hak, they would definately keep their lottery pick this year, which they could use in this year's draft to find a guard that would fit next to O.J. better than Conley does, such as James Harden, Jrue Holiday, Jeff Teague, Brandon Jennings, and even Stephen Curry, who I think would fit perfectly next to Mayo because of his brilliant shooting ability.

And of course i would rather have Amare over Mike. That is not the question. The question is rather i would have Amare over Hak Mike and Rudy and the answer is no. By trading for Amare you would be creating more problems than solving them. Sure the Pf position would be great. But what about the point and sf. Ross and Kyle. and you talk about shooting?

Again, we would only have those problems this year. It would be a lost season, but we could solve the PG and SF problem this summer. Even if we traded for Stoudemire, we would still have around $13 million in cap space this summer which we could use to sign a small forward, such as Marvin Williams, Ron Artest, Lamar Odom, Shawn Marion, Matt Barnes, Joey Graham, Trevor Ariza, etc., to replace Rudy. Then we use our lottery pick this year to replace Conley. We also have our 2nd round pick this summer that could help strengthen our weak bench.

And Amare wasnt happy when they were a contender a few years ago. Do you really think he would be happy wasting the rest of his year on a team that is going nowhere this year? And if he cant lead the Suns to a better record then they have right now. What makes you think he could led the Grizz anywhere with less talent then the Suns do.

He would not be the leader of the Grizz, that would be O.J. Mayo. I also think he would be happy to come to a team that has never had a superstar like him. People would treat him like a god. Also, remember that a couple of years ago, the Suns were a technical foul away from being NBA Champions. Now that Nash and Shaq are pushing past their primes, they just aren't a great team anymore. That's not necessarily Stoudemire's fault.

They is almost no point to trade for him now. Why so we can win 15 more games this year rather than 10. I say wait for the summer. We aren't going anywhere now. By then we would know what draft pick the NBA screwed us over with again. And we could include the pick if it is not number 1. Which it won't.

I would be all for going for him this summer, but his stock is as low as it will ever be right now. I think it would be wiser to go after him right now so we wouldn't have to give up as much. All I know is that a deal for Stoudemire to the Grizzlies is possible right now. Is it probable? No.

Deezy Dee 24
02-19-2009, 10:17 PM
we gave up kyle lowry, so what are we trying to do with the point guard spot?

drob33
02-20-2009, 12:18 AM
we gave up kyle lowry, so what are we trying to do with the point guard spot?

Hollins has only been playing Conley and Jaric, so that's what we're going with for at least the rest of the season.

Deezy Dee 24
02-20-2009, 12:42 AM
oh i see. so are we expectating alot of moves by the grizzlies this offseason?

I Am Awesome-O
02-20-2009, 12:48 AM
oh i see. so are we expectating alot of moves by the grizzlies this offseason?

There better be some big moves this offseason. They hyped up this trade deadline so much, and we ended up with Chris Mihm and a late 1st round pick; not exactly franchise-changing.

We heard names like Amare Stoudemire, Michael Beasley, and Leandro Barbosa linked to Memphis, but we didn't end up with a player anywhere near that caliber. I am expecting a crazy draft night by the Grizz, and I want us to actually pull the trigger on a player like that. If we don't, it's clear what Heisley's stance is.

mzgrizz
02-20-2009, 12:55 AM
Heisley HAD better come up with a hat trick ,for sure. When they start ME thinking twice about reupping for season tix,they have a problem. I am toenail -upchucking;belly blasting SICK of being trounced on by all the haters in this forum. Bunch of p****s with a bad case of hubris. BRING us a name player, Grizzlies front office! Make all the fake trades payoff with all that BIG cap space. YOU HEAR ME????!!!!!!!!!!

Deezy Dee 24
02-20-2009, 12:59 AM
There better be some big moves this offseason. They hyped up this trade deadline so much, and we ended up with Chris Mihm and a late 1st round pick; not exactly franchise-changing.

We heard names like Amare Stoudemire, Michael Beasley, and Leandro Barbosa linked to Memphis, but we didn't end up with a player anywhere near that caliber. I am expecting a crazy draft night by the Grizz, and I want us to actually pull the trigger on a player like that. If we don't, it's clear what Heisley's stance is.

Yeah really i was expectating one of those guys but we get none of them???
i was waitin on them to pull the trigger on one of them.
i was watchin the clock till 3.
and exactly what you said. Mihm, and a late draft pick.