PDA

View Full Version : Avs the best team at drafting...

TCH
02-06-2009, 08:11 PM
The last 10 years and the last 20 years...

www.topcornerhockey.com

:clap:

T.O.Bombinators
02-06-2009, 09:41 PM
and 3rd all time..very nice

mattybeingmatty
02-07-2009, 12:12 AM
I'm not too sure how much stock I put into their formula. Games played per draft pick? It doesn't measure quality, just quantity, and it completely negates the diamond in the rough factor.

By their standards, David Tanabe in the 1st round was a better pick than Henrik Zetterberg in the 7th.

I immediately discredited these when I looked, expecting to see Detoit, who year after year manage to find gems in the mid to late rounds, towards the top, only to find the opposite. The Wings are easily one of the best drafting teams of the past 10 years, but are ranked 2nd to last. Zetterberg in the 7th and Datsyuk in the 6th alone should put them near the top, not to mention the Franzen's, Hudler's and Filppula's.

This is nothing against the Av's, I just don't like the way they came up with those rankings.

TCH
02-07-2009, 01:23 AM
What formula would you propose? What's fair? Sure, a 'weight' could be added to act as a form of "bonus" for those teams that continuously find great gems in later rounds but determining that formula will also garner it's share of criticism to be sure.

How can you factor-in points total of a player into the equation when you also need to consider the importance of defensive defensemen and defensive minded forwards.

Obviously, this system only shows how good individual teams are at identifying NHL talent. Are there players that are promoted that don't deserve to play in the NHL? Sure...happens all the time. Are teams that focus on drafting goaltenders penalized with this system? For sure. I'd like to think that these factors even out for all teams for the most part. These stats are just for fun, showing how many NHLers teams have been able to draft (not necessarily develop).

T.O.Bombinators
02-07-2009, 01:25 AM
i didnt really check anything just the ranking

mattybeingmatty
02-07-2009, 04:36 AM
What formula would you propose? What's fair? Sure, a 'weight' could be added to act as a form of "bonus" for those teams that continuously find great gems in later rounds but determining that formula will also garner it's share of criticism to be sure.

How can you factor-in points total of a player into the equation when you also need to consider the importance of defensive defensemen and defensive minded forwards.

Obviously, this system only shows how good individual teams are at identifying NHL talent. Are there players that are promoted that don't deserve to play in the NHL? Sure...happens all the time. Are teams that focus on drafting goaltenders penalized with this system? For sure. I'd like to think that these factors even out for all teams for the most part. These stats are just for fun, showing how many NHLers teams have been able to draft (not necessarily develop).

I know it's just for fun, which is why I wouldn't have put much stock in it anyway. And I doubt there is a way to accurately incorporate production into the rankings, so without that, it's a pretty rough list.