PDA

View Full Version : The story of a true "bandwagon fan".

FreedomReigns
02-05-2009, 07:31 AM
My first recollection of anything NFL was around seven years old.

I was standing in the front yard of our house in West Phoenix with one of my older brothers who at that time was a freshman in highschool. As he dropped back to rifle passes at me he would say, "Joe Montana takes the snap from center". This of course was followed by me retrieving the ball from various places such as under the Ford LTD parked in our driveway or from the cactus garden located in our neighbors front yard. I can't recollect how often this scenario happened throughout the following weeks or month(s) but the impact it had on me was tremendous. A NFL fanatic was born as well as a fan of the San Francisco 49ers.

I vaugley remember sitting in the living room cheering on the 49ers in Superbowl 16. The thing that stands out the most is mimicking my brothers reactions during the game. His excitement and frustration were channeled through me with every run, pass, block or tackle. I didn't understand the game at that time but I loved it anyways. Almost as much as shooting green army men in the back yard with my single shot B.B. Gun or riding my Huffy through the neighborhood until the streetlights came on.

My first football card was a 1982 TOPPS Joe Montana. I pulled it free of charge from within a Pittsburgh Steelers wastebasket. A gift from one of those friends in passing. I still own this card by the way. Frayed and creased in all it's priceless glory. Oddly enough it's more valuable to me than any card I own at this time. It's the avatar of my sports memory Hall O' Fame. Fond memories downloaded into a databank that over my short time has frayed and creased as well.

I was approximately thirteen years old when I heard the news that Phoenix was getting an NFL team. The only thing I really knew about the Cardinals was their logo, team colors and what division they played in. I learned this information initially from one of those small plastic helmets from the gumball machine and the NFL standings in the Phoenix Gazette. I still have that helmet, minus facemask, buried somewhere in what used to be my garage. A true twenty-five cent treasure made from a quarter of a cent in raw materials.

Anyways my reaction to this wonderful news was, in hindsight, premature. What was my reaction you might ask? Probably something along the lines of, Phoenix Cardinals are number one! I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I was a "bandwagon fan". If you asked me at that time who my favorite team was, I probably responded with "the Phoenix Cardinals and San Francisco 49ers". It was easy for me to say that in those days and the years that followed. Different divisions, different rivals. Two teams that were polar opposites, my personal yin and yang of NFL fandom.

Flashback: Joe Montana standing at a podium addressing the Phoenix media about possibly signing with the Cardinals. I was in heaven folks!

Note: The following tidbits of nostalgia reflect my views and experiences following realignment and the Arizona Cardinals move from NFC East to NFC West.

I wasn't torn because at that point I'd lost love for the 49ers. When Montana left so did the magical appeal that franchise held over me. Forgive me Cardinals fans but I still believe that the 49ers are the greatest franchise ever. The joy of watching "my niners" dismantle the opposition for a decade are lasting memories. Im just not a loyal fan of red and gold anymore.

Over the years I took alot of "abuse" for being a Cardinals Fan. Not physical abuse of course. More like friendly shots from people with bad aim. Thing is, I really didn't care. I was spoiled by the 49ers dynasty and that provided me with enough fuel in the tank to drive my Cardinals Bandwagon through NFL hell and back.

(TO BE CONTINUED)

nashty13
02-05-2009, 08:34 AM
right with you brotha, tho i'm a bit younger than you. I vividly remember those games at Sun Devil stadium, when it was near the beginning of winter. You know the games where if you sat on the side opposite the mountain (in the sun) your skin was fried by the end of the game, but if you say on the said of the mountain (in the shade) you were miserably cold. What an awful place.
Obviously we were the laughing stock of football and it definitely wasn't fun to be a fan, particularly when at every game there were more fans of the opposite team than the cardinals every time. I was at the game when McCown hit Nate Poole to beat the Vikings and knock them out of playing contention, which made us loose the number one pick (rights to Eli Manning), but hey, we got Fitz out of it. By the end of the game, the hordes of Viking fans were threatening me and my younger cousin. Until this year, that game and, of course, our dismantling of the Cowboys in the playoffs a decade ago were my two best Cards memories.
Thanks for a great season boys! And honestly I'm happy the Cardinals now have "fans" tho I'm sure they'll be gone if we revert back to our old form. Our franchise needs whatever support we can get.

bornFrisco49er
02-05-2009, 05:21 PM
My first recollection of anything NFL was around seven years old.

I was standing in the front yard of our house in West Phoenix with one of my older brothers who at that time was a freshman in highschool. As he dropped back to rifle passes at me he would say, "Joe Montana takes the snap from center". This of course was followed by me retrieving the ball from various places such as under the Ford LTD parked in our driveway or from the cactus garden located in our neighbors front yard. I can't recollect how often this scenario happened throughout the following weeks or month(s) but the impact it had on me was tremendous. A NFL fanatic was born as well as a fan of the San Francisco 49ers.

I vaugley remember sitting in the living room cheering on the 49ers in Superbowl 16. The thing that stands out the most is mimicking my brothers reactions during the game. His excitement and frustration were channeled through me with every run, pass, block or tackle. I didn't understand the game at that time but I loved it anyways. Almost as much as shooting green army men in the back yard with my single shot B.B. Gun or riding my Huffy through the neighborhood until the streetlights came on.

My first football card was a 1982 TOPPS Joe Montana. I pulled it free of charge from within a Pittsburgh Steelers wastebasket. A gift from one of those friends in passing. I still own this card by the way. Frayed and creased in all it's priceless glory. Oddly enough it's more valuable to me than any card I own at this time. It's the avatar of my sports memory Hall O' Fame. Fond memories downloaded into a databank that over my short time has frayed and creased as well.

I was approximately thirteen years old when I heard the news that Phoenix was getting an NFL team. The only thing I really knew about the Cardinals was their logo, team colors and what division they played in. I learned this information initially from one of those small plastic helmets from the gumball machine and the NFL standings in the Phoenix Gazette. I still have that helmet, minus facemask, buried somewhere in what used to be my garage. A true twenty-five cent treasure made from a quarter of a cent in raw materials.

Anyways my reaction to this wonderful news was, in hindsight, premature. What was my reaction you might ask? Probably something along the lines of, Phoenix Cardinals are number one! I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I was a "bandwagon fan". If you asked me at that time who my favorite team was, I probably responded with "the Phoenix Cardinals and San Francisco 49ers". It was easy for me to say that in those days and the years that followed. Different divisions, different rivals. Two teams that were polar opposites, my personal yin and yang of NFL fandom.

Flashback: Joe Montana standing at a podium addressing the Phoenix media about possibly signing with the Cardinals. I was in heaven folks!

Note: The following tidbits of nostalgia reflect my views and experiences following realignment and the Arizona Cardinals move from NFC East to NFC West.

I wasn't torn because at that point I'd lost love for the 49ers. When Montana left so did the magical appeal that franchise held over me. Forgive me Cardinals fans but I still believe that the 49ers are the greatest franchise ever. The joy of watching "my niners" dismantle the opposition for a decade are lasting memories. Im just not a loyal fan of red and gold anymore.

Over the years I took alot of "abuse" for being a Cardinals Fan. Not physical abuse of course. More like friendly shots from people with bad aim. Thing is, I really didn't care. I was spoiled by the 49ers dynasty and that provided me with enough fuel in the tank to drive my Cardinals Bandwagon through NFL hell and back.

(TO BE CONTINUED)

thanks :D..but many dont see it that way..i enjoyed it while it lasted..but we're on our way back up/hopefully..as for the cards, ive never hated them and have always respected them since the days of larry centers david boston plummer etc..it was nice to see the underdog make it to the super bowl..2 bad it ended up in a L..i hope the competitiveness gets better next year and our division can earn the respect back from the league