PDA

View Full Version : ESPN ranks best AZ Cardinals ever

chadillachembre
01-15-2009, 10:54 PM
who are the top 10 AZ Cardinals ever? not Stl or Chicago just the Arizona Cardinals.

heres the link to what espn says the top az cardinals are.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3834514

chadillachembre
01-15-2009, 10:58 PM
My Top 10 in no order
Larry Centers
Adrian Murrell
Jake Plummer
Kurt Warner
Larry Fitzgerald
Anquan Boldin
Aneas Williams
Adrian Wilson
Pat Tillman
Simeon Rice

second team goes to rob moore, frank sanders, garrison hearst, jonny johnson, kwamie lassiter, chris jacke, neil rackers, emmitt smith, Steve Breaston and a few years later could have DRC on the list

FreedomReigns
01-16-2009, 02:26 AM
I'll list my picks just off the top of my head so don't crucify me if I forget somone obvious. These players will be listed in a randow order.

1) Aeneas Williams
2) Larry Fitzgerald
3) Anquan Boldin
4) Larry Centers
5) Kurt Warner
6) Rob Moore
7) Simeon Rice
8) Eric Swann
9) Edgerrin James
10) Adrian Wilson

Honorable Mention:

Jake Plummer, Eric Hill, Luis Sharpe, Frank Sanders, Johhny Johnson, Chuck Cecil, Karlos Dansby, Tim McDonald, Vai Sikahema, Kwame Lassiter. I could probably go on but I won't.

Here's an additional list of coaches who were good but the team's were bad.

Gene Stallings, Vince Tobin, Dave McGinnis, Joe Bugel.

homestarunner93
01-16-2009, 03:10 AM
Does it include Phoenix Cardinals or just Arizona?

steelcityroller
01-16-2009, 04:43 AM
What about David Boston? No love. He had a couple huge years. If your gonna put Emmitt Smith and Steve Breaston up there then why not David Boston. That one year Boston had 98 receptions and nearly 1600 yards receiving.

I also have 3 big ones that havent been mentioned. I guess it also is if your doing Cardinals history or just when they have been in Arizona.

Leonard Davis - The guy was only there like 6 years but is as deserving as some of the ones mentioned.

Conrad Dobler - Played guard alongside Dan Dierdorf for the Cardinals from 1972-1977 earning 3 ProBowl trips. Known as one of the dirtiest players in NFL history.

Dan Dierdorf - Started 160 games for the Cardinals at LT going to the ProBowl 6 times. A 6-time All-Pro selection and was named to the NFL All 70s team as well. Oh yeah and he is in the Hall of Fame :)

davekrieg lives
01-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Dave Krieg any body ????????

chadillachembre
01-16-2009, 02:18 PM
the list doesnt include chicago or stl cardinals or else dierdorph and wherlie would be in there as well.

davries great call on luis sharpe and eric swan. very well done. i forgot those names. i was a big fan of mcginnis and tobin. im shocked mcginis didnt get one more head coaching oppurtunity some where.

david boston was a big name i forgot. he moves on my top 10 list. he was arguably the best wr in football one season for us then sh^t the bed every where else he went.

leonard davis in my opinion was a bust in his time he played in az for as high of a pick he was in the draft. I believe strongly that was mostly because of coaching philosophies and not him.

chadillachembre
01-16-2009, 02:19 PM
heres another question for yall.....

WHO WAS WORSE FOR THIS FRANCHISE? BUDDY RYAN OR DENNIS GREEN?

davekrieg lives
01-16-2009, 03:30 PM
inhindsight Dennis Green's drafting abilities are a direct cause of this year's success

FreedomReigns
01-16-2009, 04:41 PM
heres another question for yall.....

WHO WAS WORSE FOR THIS FRANCHISE? BUDDY RYAN OR DENNIS GREEN?

Buddy Ryan by far. He cut Garrison Hearst which I will never forgive. He did bring a sound defensive unit though. Speaking of which, I forgot a few players who should be on the list. Clyde Simmons and Seth Joyner.

TheRedMarauder
01-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Horrible list. How is Aeneas Williams not even in the top 5, when he's clearly the best. They guy's probably a potential HOF. I would put Centers second.

chadillachembre
01-16-2009, 07:59 PM
^couldnt agree with you more red. they have pat tillman at #5 and aeneas williams on the honorable mention list. no disrespect to tillman but aeneas was head and shoulders the best defensive player on the squad. he was on the all 90's team and had his number retired this season.

NeutralFan
01-17-2009, 07:21 PM
you can tell you guys are all too young but neil lomax was by far the best qb the cards have ever had and roy green a tremendous receiver

FreedomReigns
01-17-2009, 08:14 PM
you can tell you guys are all too young but neil lomax was by far the best qb the cards have ever had and roy green a tremendous receiver

Your right and it's a shame I didn't list them. Throw in J.T. Smith to that list as well.

FreedomReigns
01-20-2009, 01:43 AM
Another name popped into my head. Ricky Proehl!

chadillachembre
01-21-2009, 12:17 AM
Another name popped into my head. Ricky Proehl!

dude i call jerme urban the modern ricky proehl. he wasnt ever too great but he was such a tough player that knew his role and eventually won a title with warner in stl. got a big td too

FreedomReigns
01-21-2009, 12:46 AM
dude i call jerme urban the modern ricky proehl. he wasnt ever too great but he was such a tough player that knew his role and eventually won a title with warner in stl. got a big td too

Good comparison but Proehl had better hands and concentration.

TheRedMarauder
01-21-2009, 04:04 PM

They only played for the Arizona Cardinals towards the lat years of their career though, and made their mark when the team was in St. Louis. And I would rank Jim Hart ahead of Neil Lomax on the Cards' QB list.

chadillachembre
01-21-2009, 06:41 PM
You know what I find really sad? Every one of those stl/chi cards teams will and are forgotten. I went to the hall-of-fame 2yrs ago and was lucky that the inductions were going on that weekend. roger wherlie was inducted a great corner for the stl cardinals. i had no idea. i am a bigger fan than most when it comes to the cards and have been since i was 10 and im turning 25 this year. 30 years down the road az fans will know who aeneas williams and larry centers is because us young cards fans will tell our children about them. no one told me about the days of the stl cards because my father didnt have a reason to watch em. i just find it sad that so much history is forgotten. did any of this make sense? i guess i just vented in a way. sorry guys.

FreedomReigns
01-21-2009, 11:26 PM
You know what I find really sad? Every one of those stl/chi cards teams will and are forgotten. I went to the hall-of-fame 2yrs ago and was lucky that the inductions were going on that weekend. roger wherlie was inducted a great corner for the stl cardinals. i had no idea. i am a bigger fan than most when it comes to the cards and have been since i was 10 and im turning 25 this year. 30 years down the road az fans will know who aeneas williams and larry centers is because us young cards fans will tell our children about them. no one told me about the days of the stl cards because my father didnt have a reason to watch em. i just find it sad that so much history is forgotten. did any of this make sense? i guess i just vented in a way. sorry guys.

It made perfect sense.

TheRedMarauder
01-21-2009, 11:41 PM

I guess all the fans of those teams stayed in their respective cities. You'd have to go to St. Louis to find people that can tell you about watching Wehrli, Dierdorf, etc.