PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies' Mike Conley still on trading block

I Am Awesome-O
01-11-2009, 02:02 PM
By Ronald Tillery (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal
Sunday, January 11, 2009

Let's just say it's safe to assume that the much talked about Mike Conley-for-Travis Outlaw deal between Memphis and Portland will always be met with a telephone busy signal from here on out.

The Grizzlies signing Darius Miles to a 10-day contract Saturday with the potential to adversely affect Portland's salary cap likely ends any chance the two teams will ever deal in the future.
Comments

But that doesn't mean Conley is now untouchable.

The Grizzlies and Milwaukee Bucks have talked about a deal that could send Conley to Wisconsin for guard Ramon Sessions and swingman Joe Alexander.

It is not known what other components, if any, are in the proposed trade but a deal would work under NBA rules with those three players.

A deal involving Conley appears more imminent now than ever because his most ardent supporters within the organization no longer fight for his stay in Beale Street Blue.

The Griz turned down a deal before the start of the season that would have sent Conley to Portland for swingman Travis Outlaw. Memphis tried to revive those trade talks to no avail.

Conley is aware of the situation.

"They've given me chances," Conley said. "I wouldn't say they've given up on me. We've been searching. It's tough. You don't know what the organization might be doing. My dad (and agent, Mike Conley Sr.) told me not to worry about it and just play."

Part of the recent disappointment with Conley is his perceived contentment over losing the starting job at point guard. That Conley has shown little-to-no fight to regain the starring role hasn't been viewed favorably given his history of passive play on the court.

Why else would the Griz do the deal?

Alexander is an athletic, decent shooting answer to the Grizzlies' search for a backup to Rudy Gay. He's raw and hardly used in Milwaukee but another player with length the Griz could develop. Plus, Sessions is the most productive of the three players involved.

This would also satisfy the Grizzlies' goal of allowing rookie O.J. Mayo to handle the basketball more.

Why would the Bucks do the deal?

Although Alexander was the eighth overall pick in the 2008 draft, he's struggled to find playing time behind the Bucks veteran guards and small forwards. Some already consider the 6-8 Alexander a draft-day bust, averaging four points on 41-percent shooting and hardly a rebound, assists, steal or block to consider stat worthy in 12 minutes per game.

Milwaukee's primary concern, though, is salary cap related. Sessions will be an unrestricted free agent worth more than the team can afford without paying a luxury tax. There is no way the Bucks can re-sign Sessions and Charlie Villanueva with Michael Redd ($17 million) and Richard Jefferson ($14 million) making big money next season. The Bucks likely want something for Sessions before he walks.

If Conley doesn't go to the Bucks, expect a trade before next season as he's being shopped around the league.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/jan/11/grizzlies-mike-conley-still-on-trading-block/

Are you freaking kidding me? Mike Conley for Joe Alexander AND Ramon Sessions? Sessions is the better player than Conley as it is, but to add Alexander to that deal... I would be doing jumping jacks.

I don't understand why Milwaukee would ever do this trade. I guess they think that they won't be able to re-sign Sessions and are trying to get some value for him. The good news is that we can very easily re-sign the guy and still have tons of money this offseason left over. I still think Conley will be a very good player, and we will see that if he does indeed get dealt to the Bucks.

This is the maximum amount of value I could ever imagine us getting for Conley. The 8th pick in this past draft, who may be struggling but it still a freak athlete and a perfect backup small forward, and a point guard who is already better than Conley and once had 24 assists. He is also only a couple years older than Conley as well. I don't know which point guard has more overall upside, but I would much rather have Alexander and Sessions than Conley. If Chris Wallace somehow gets this deal done, well **** he is just the man.

The only problem I have with this deal is the fact that Sessions could walk after this season. I don't want a damn 1-year rental for Conley. I wish we could sign him to a long-term deal right after he gets traded to us, if he indeed does get traded to us.

mzgrizz
01-11-2009, 08:26 PM
I don't know enough about either player, but something does not fit with Conley,Grizzlies,Iavaroni,Wallace and Memphis. Just bring me a good deal, because he will be better in a few years for someone else.

I Am Awesome-O
01-11-2009, 10:01 PM
I don't know enough about either player, but something does not fit with Conley,Grizzlies,Iavaroni,Wallace and Memphis. Just bring me a good deal, because he will be better in a few years for someone else.

Oh no doubt he will be better somewhere else. He just isn't a good fit next to O.J., so we have to trade him. It's as simple as that. It doesn't matter if he can be as good as T.J. Ford, he still just isn't a good fit next to Mayo; he isn't a good enough shooter.

Oh and trust me, this is a great deal for the Grizzlies to make if they could somehow pull off this trade. Well, it's a great deal if Sessions doesn't walk right after the season.

mzgrizz
01-11-2009, 10:40 PM
I checked the Bucks forum and they are nearly going ballistic about it. Must be a good thing for the Grizz but they want a pick,too. What do we have left? Is it really that good to give up a pick,too? Or is Portland lurking in there somewhere to get Conley with Oden again?

I Am Awesome-O
01-11-2009, 11:26 PM
I checked the Bucks forum and they are nearly going ballistic about it. Must be a good thing for the Grizz but they want a pick,too. What do we have left? Is it really that good to give up a pick,too? Or is Portland lurking in there somewhere to get Conley with Oden again?

Well it doesn't matter what the fans want; from what I have read and heard, there is no pick included in the deal. Plus I think giving up a pick would be too much for the Griz anyways, especially if it isn't lottery protected. Keep in mind, if we want Sessions so badly, we can just go after him in free agency.

I guess I can see a reason as to why Milwaukee is considering this trade. They don't think they can re-sign Sessions this offseason so they are trying to get value for him. The good news is that we will easily be able to re-sign him this summer if he is traded here. They could probably get more value for Sessions and Alexander, but hey, I'm not complaining.

And Portland is definately not going to be in any deal with the Grizzlies anytime soon after the whole Darius Miles saga. I don't care either. I would much rather have Ramon Sessions and Joe Alexander than Travis Outlaw. Good thing we didn't pull off that Portland trade during the draft.

Deezy Dee 24
01-12-2009, 12:58 AM
that we would be a great trade i think.
kyle lowry is playing way better than conley now.
plus i like kyle because hes like a freakin beast
like the two guys at the grizzlies game said hes a bulldog. haha

Big Quett
01-12-2009, 01:53 AM
Sessions is a clear upgrade at point over Mike Jr. I remember hearing earlier in the year Bucks fans wanting Sessions to start. He was putting up monster #'s off the bench. And Joel would be a nice throw in although i think he is a bust. But at this price i would take him and maybe he could become something.

Sessions mins per game have come down since the beginning of the season. But in Nov when he was getting consistent mins he was doing well.

In 17 games in Nov he averaged 15.6 ppg, 5.8 assist, 3.8 rebounds, 1 steal, and 2.2 turnovers per game in 33.7 mins with 4 starts while shooting 44% from the field.

Not bad IMO

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?playerId=3231

I Am Awesome-O
01-12-2009, 02:32 AM
I have been talking about Sessions having the ability to walk after the season... SCRATCH THAT. I just looked it up and found out that Sessions is a restricted free agent, meaning we can match any offer that a team makes to him. So there is virtually no way he can leave Memphis if he is traded to us, unless he demands a trade or something.

Ok now that I know this, the Bucks deal would be 100% perfect. Sessions is only a couple of years older than Conley, and is the superior player right now. He is bigger and he isn't afraid to make plays. Keep in mind the guy had 24 assists in one game last season. I still really like Conley, and he will probably flourish somewhere else, but he isn't a good fit next to O.J. I don't know if Sessions will be either, but he has a better shot at meshing with Mayo than Conley does. I don't know which player has more overall upside (most likely Sessions), but I do know that Sessions would just be a better fit here.

We would not only get Sessions, but also Joe Alexander, who would be a great backup to Rudy Gay and will provide some much needed athleticism and talent on our 2nd unit. I mean this guy was a lottery pick last year. He hasn't done well at all this year, but he was drafted as a project that needed time. He still has TONS of upside.

Big Quett
01-12-2009, 03:28 AM
I have been talking about Sessions having the ability to walk after the season... SCRATCH THAT. I just looked it up and found out that Sessions is a restricted free agent, meaning we can match any offer that a team makes to him. So there is virtually no way he can leave Memphis if he is traded to us, unless he demands a trade or something.

Ok now that I know this, the Bucks deal would be 100% perfect. Sessions is only a couple of years older than Conley, and is the superior player right now. He is bigger and he isn't afraid to make plays. Keep in mind the guy had 24 assists in one game last season. I still really like Conley, and he will probably flourish somewhere else, but he isn't a good fit next to O.J. I don't know if Sessions will be either, but he has a better shot at meshing with Mayo than Conley does. I don't know which player has more overall upside (most likely Sessions), but I do know that Sessions would just be a better fit here.

We would not only get Sessions, but also Joe Alexander, who would be a great backup to Rudy Gay and will provide some much needed athleticism and talent on our 2nd unit. I mean this guy was a lottery pick last year. He hasn't done well at all this year, but he was drafted as a project that needed time. He still has TONS of upside.

No he is not. He was a 2nd round pick. He only got a 2 year deal. Unlike 1st rounders who get a long contract with opt out options. He is an unrestricted free agent after this year.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9200

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/milwaukee.htm

cameroncrazies2
01-12-2009, 04:29 AM
John Hammond is a good GM and he has the Bucks moving in the right direction. I really don't think he'd give up that much for Conley who got benched already this season unless Memphis is also throwing in their 2009 1st round draft pick. As a Bucks fan, that is the only way I'd consider this deal.

FlashTastic One
01-12-2009, 07:30 AM
JA/Sessions for Conley Jr would be a great deal.

drob33
01-12-2009, 09:38 AM
John Hammond is a good GM and he has the Bucks moving in the right direction. I really don't think he'd give up that much for Conley who got benched already this season unless Memphis is also throwing in their 2009 1st round draft pick. As a Bucks fan, that is the only way I'd consider this deal.

Well, Sessions is a backup too. I don't think we could give more than a 2nd round pick in this deal.

brisk002
01-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Guys, Sessions would become your starting PG... Lowry and Conley are not ready to play NBA ball. Sessions is head over heals better then ridnour! When you say "he can't even start over Ridnour," you have to sit down and think. Ridnour is having the best year of his nba career. I did not know Ridnour could play at this level. That being said, Sessions is still a lot better then Ridnour. We just have Scott "defense defense" Skiles as our coach and he would rather put defense out on the floor than offense. THIS BEING SAID, this is a great deal for you and I would be extremely dissapointed if all we got was conley. I remember Warrick being mentioned earlier in the season with Portland. Would you guys do Sessions/Alexander for Conley/Warrick? I think Sessions will have the best career out of these 4 players but i do think this would make it more even if the salaries work... What you think?

Deezy Dee 24
01-12-2009, 04:40 PM
no. i dont want to trade Hak.
he is way too good.

I Am Awesome-O
01-12-2009, 05:53 PM
No he is not. He was a 2nd round pick. He only got a 2 year deal. Unlike 1st rounders who get a long contract with opt out options. He is an unrestricted free agent after this year.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9200

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/milwaukee.htm

Those links do not indicate whether a player is a restricted free agent or not. From what I have read, he is restricted. -

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-09-10

http://******.com/src_freeagents/2008/

Both of those sites have Sessions as a restricted free agent. I very highly doubt that both ESPN and R e a l gm are both wrong.

Then there is Chris Herrington, who has access to all things Grizzlies. -
The Tillery story reports that Sessions will be an unrestricted free agent this summer. I posed this question to a team source today and was told, without confirming or denying the deal, that Sessions will in fact be a restricted free agent. Sessions’ free agent status is crucial to evaluating this trade. If he’s unrestricted, there’s no way I’d do this. If he’s restricted, it becomes much more defensible.

http://cmimemphis.com/grizblog/node/437

I should have posted the sources earlier, but now I hope I have cleared things up and people know that Sessions will be a restricted free agent.

mzgrizz
01-13-2009, 12:44 AM
No way for Hakim.....he is our most consistent player right now, and for the foreseeable future. He brings a ton of energy to the game and surely,surely ,they won't give him up. Though I don't know what his $$$$/RFA?FA status is? Anyone?

drob33
01-13-2009, 12:59 AM
Warrick's a RFA after this season. I don't the Griz will make him an extension offer w/o gauging other teams' interest levels first. I can't see us keeping him if a team offers more than $9m/year. He makes $3m/ year now, so that would be a huge raise. He definitely is our most dependable low-post threat right now, but as his stats rise and more people start to look at him for 6th man of the Year, his price (and head) will continue to grow as well.

I Am Awesome-O
01-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Warrick's a RFA after this season. I don't the Griz will make him an extension offer w/o gauging other teams' interest levels first. I can't see us keeping him if a team offers more than $9m/year. He makes $3m/ year now, so that would be a huge raise. He definitely is our most dependable low-post threat right now, but as his stats rise and more people start to look at him for 6th man of the Year, his price (and head) will continue to grow as well.

If a team does give Warrick $9 million a year, I don't expect him to be in a Grizzlies uniform next year, especially if this Conley trade goes through. If the trade goes through, we will have to give Sessions an extension, and giving Warrick a long-term deal along with Sessions would hamper most of our cap space.

I love Warrick and he really does provide most of our low-post scoring, but he isn't a starter due to his on-dimensional game and the fact that he just isn't a great rebounder. We need a great rebounder with great athleticism, and I expect us to somehow acquire a player like that this summer.

I think that the best thing for the organization to do is trade Warrick right now while his name is hot. He could give a playoff team great inside scoring off the bench. I say we either trade him now for a mid first rounder, or wait until the draft to trade him, because I just don't see the Griz giving Hak $9million.

Big Quett
01-13-2009, 09:18 PM
If a team does give Warrick $9 million a year, I don't expect him to be in a Grizzlies uniform next year, especially if this Conley trade goes through. If the trade goes through, we will have to give Sessions an extension, and giving Warrick a long-term deal along with Sessions would hamper most of our cap space.

I love Warrick and he really does provide most of our low-post scoring, but he isn't a starter due to his on-dimensional game and the fact that he just isn't a great rebounder. We need a great rebounder with great athleticism, and I expect us to somehow acquire a player like that this summer.

I think that the best thing for the organization to do is trade Warrick right now while his name is hot. He could give a playoff team great inside scoring off the bench. I say we either trade him now for a mid first rounder, or wait until the draft to trade him, because I just don't see the Griz giving Hak $9million.

I mean letz be real. The grizz are not giving Hak 9 mil. I mean no one is giving Hak 9 mil a year. I love Hak and what he brings. And i would love to see him stay in a grizz uni but i think there are better options out like maybe Milsap if we dont get Blake. And im sure we wont

Mr.Grizzly
01-13-2009, 11:37 PM
i like conley, i would really like to see him in a grizz jersey long term. even if he is currently struggling, im giving him a chance, but the deal with the bucks is just that damn good. Hate to say it bec. i like conley so much but man our team needs developments ASAP. If im chris wallace ill do this trade not unless conley reaches his full potential and play like a star. Sorry Mike:(

Mr.Grizzly
01-13-2009, 11:39 PM
As for HAK, he aint goin nowhere but Memphis!

1goldenrican1
01-14-2009, 05:17 AM
Hello Memphis Forum. I just have a question. Would guys do this trade? Some knick fans said yes some said no. I want your take.

Davd Lee, Malik Rose(Last year in contract), Anthony Roberson, Denvers 2009 2nd round pick and cash

FOR
Mike Conley and Marc Gasol.

dhelmic2
01-15-2009, 12:46 AM
If Milwaukee wants a draft pick, lets give them the famous 2'nd round protected to 55'th draft pick that we are giving everybody lately in these deals.
Get it done Chris.
Go Grizzlies
www.grizzfan.com

Bucks_Packers
01-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Believe it or not, Milwaukee does have a brain.

Nothing will go down until we find out if Joe made the dunk contest on monday. Nothing would be sweeter than seeing a bucks jersey in the contest, and Herb Kohl fully realizes that. Milwaukee already traded for a point guard (Ridnour) so i dont see it going down. Milwaukee loved him in their workouts though

HOZ THE KNICK
01-16-2009, 10:51 AM
you guys will rape the bucks if this trade had any legs.