PDA

View Full Version : Is LA still untouchable?

Jack Tucker
12-27-2008, 05:35 PM
This summer as we were all spouting off about our big three and feeling good about them things were different. Different in that we hadn't seen the LA of this season yet.

Weak defender
Terrible rebounder
Inside game not that good.

Looking more and more like a poor mans Rasheed Wallace.

Is he still untouchable in your book?
I'm beginning to wonder.

blazerman
12-27-2008, 09:59 PM
He stays, I think he gets better annually and Oden too(he cant go backwards any further).

The Blazers are in a self induced slump and even though they played good ball as a team through 20 games, I dont think they have bonded as a team fully. like last yr when Outlaw hit the GW shot against Memphis they came together and right now their still stumbling along.

Individually the Blazers are in different places mentally like Roy and Fernandez thinking Allstar weekend, Outlaw, Frye, Rodriguez, Diogu and Lafrentz thinking about the trade deadline and wondering if they'll be in a Blazers uniform next month. Oden still trying to find himself(he'll get there) and Blake and Aldridge playing good and Joel Pryzbilla wondering if he comes back to earth this season(I vote no, stay on cloud 9 with your 80% fg shooting, we need it)

Besides Pryzbilla and Roy and maybe Batum and Fernandez nobody else is giving 100%, especially on defense(Blake and Aldridge only give about 70% on defense and dont worry about much besides shooting).

Aldridge will eventually put it all together because he wants to be great and it shows by how hard he works on offense. It might take another yr or two until he figures out that he wont be making any allstar teams in the west as a forward unless you can do at both ends of the floor.(Melo has been an exception but he has star power with the fans)

blackjack_119
12-28-2008, 03:12 AM
This summer as we were all spouting off about our big three and feeling good about them things were different. Different in that we hadn't seen the LA of this season yet.

Weak defender
Terrible rebounder
Inside game not that good.

Looking more and more like a poor mans Rasheed Wallace.

Is he still untouchable in your book?
I'm beginning to wonder.

I don't think I would have ever described Aldridge as "untouchable" but he is the perfect complement for what the Blazers have. When he is described as a weak defender, I am assuming that you mean he is a weak post defender. He is a good perimeter defender which is key for a PF matched with a low post defensive presence. He is also a good help defender... Also key. His inside game is actually pretty good, but he is still a finesse player inside. He will never be an Amare Stoudamire who can power through his defender.

His rebounding numbers aren't great, but he is always paired with an excellent rebounder (Oden and Przybilla rank #1 and #2 respectively in the NBA in RB/min.) He is an excellent shooter who spaces the floor well and prevents teams from collapsing on Oden (this will be more important when Oden's offensive game improves... which it steadily is (27-40 from the floor as of late))

Basically, the only players that I would prefer at the PF position (based on age/talent/position and team needs):
Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudamire, Al Jefferson, Dirk Nowitzki
I'd prefer him to Garnett and Duncan because neither of those two would remain productive through the Blazers likely championship window.
Gasol and Boozer I see as comparable or better players whose age/salary make them less attractive.

Having the 5th best playing possible in your position is never bad. That being said, it wouldn't make him untouchable. I would gladly trade LMA for an ELITE SF or PG if we could, in turn, sign Boozer as his replacement this off season.

Ansy
12-28-2008, 07:34 AM
He's slightly deficient at many things, but most players are hugely deficient at something. He's still a top 10-15 PF in the NBA.

I would not consider him "untradeable" but I wouldn't be looking to move him either. He's good enough to keep and lock-down long-term

A.Mopp
12-28-2008, 01:54 PM
I don't think I would have ever described Aldridge as "untouchable" but he is the perfect complement for what the Blazers have. When he is described as a weak defender, I am assuming that you mean he is a weak post defender. He is a good perimeter defender which is key for a PF matched with a low post defensive presence. He is also a good help defender... Also key. His inside game is actually pretty good, but he is still a finesse player inside. He will never be an Amare Stoudamire who can power through his defender.

His rebounding numbers aren't great, but he is always paired with an excellent rebounder (Oden and Przybilla rank #1 and #2 respectively in the NBA in RB/min.) He is an excellent shooter who spaces the floor well and prevents teams from collapsing on Oden (this will be more important when Oden's offensive game improves... which it steadily is (27-40 from the floor as of late))

Basically, the only players that I would prefer at the PF position (based on age/talent/position and team needs):
Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudamire, Al Jefferson, Dirk Nowitzki
I'd prefer him to Garnett and Duncan because neither of those two would remain productive through the Blazers likely championship window.
Gasol and Boozer I see as comparable or better players whose age/salary make them less attractive.

Having the 5th best playing possible in your position is never bad. That being said, it wouldn't make him untouchable. I would gladly trade LMA for an ELITE SF or PG if we could, in turn, sign Boozer as his replacement this off season.

That is exactly how i feel.

Rhino
12-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Wow I'm glad your not the GM for the Blazers you'd have half of them traded by now. No thanks Jacktucker. I guess you haven't been paying attention to the Blazers for the past 6 or 7 years. Give this team time to understand each other and stop posting negative crap every time this team goes through a slump damn.

vaneasy
12-28-2008, 10:39 PM
He should not be traded, the whole team just needs a foot in there *** and realize LA is pretty good when he posts up in or near the paint. The only person I look into trading is Outlaw because he probably is the worst defender on the team. I was at the Christmas game and he gave up 5 wide open 3's can't defend the pick and roll at all lets people drive by him into the lane, and the worst thing is that he rarely lifts his hands above his waist even when the ball is about to be pass to the guy he is defending. Trade Outlaw even if it was for just a draft pick just get him off the team.

Jack Tucker
12-29-2008, 12:07 AM
Wow I'm glad your not the GM for the Blazers you'd have half of them traded by now. No thanks Jacktucker. I guess you haven't been paying attention to the Blazers for the past 6 or 7 years. Give this team time to understand each other and stop posting negative crap every time this team goes through a slump damn.

Ouch. :shrug: Didn't mean to appear so negative Rhino. Every day is a blessing compared to what we have had to put up with over the last six or seven years. I like all the people on our team. Like everyone else I want to see them do what they say they want to do and that is reach the next level. I also see there are some flaws in this roster and in the way we are playing that other teams are beginning to exploit that will prevent us from succeeding at that higher level. Don't know if LaMarcus is a favorite of yours or not. Quite honestly, criticism of Greg Oden is what gets my dander up. And since I'm laying all my cards on the table they had a half hour show on LaMarcus on Comcast today. After watching it I found it hard not to like him.

LA certainly has improved since he has been here. He has been a good citizen and from all accounts very professional and willing to put in whatever extra work is needed to improve.

Having said all that I do still feel that he has some fundamental weaknesses that are problematic for our team. Will they be overcome by "letting the cake bake"? Dunno. And you are right, I am clearly unqualified to be our GM. :)

Before the season many of us were referring to our big three as untouchable. And for many, that still is true. Some people have changed their minds though on what they have seen. LA isn't the only player whose position worthy of taking a look at.

My thinking is that if you don't consider him untouchable any more maybe you can sign a FA like Carlos Boozer, and then trade LA for a small forward or point guard. I'm not at all certain this is the way to go, but it is worth taking a look at, as is any move that would upgrade the talent on our roster.

The problem with "letting the cake bake" is that if you notice some problems and don't address them you are more likely to continue to see the same problems and never see the finished product.

jnb58
12-29-2008, 12:56 AM

I think JT is just starting conversation but I agree with your feelings overall.

I love this team the way it is. They are growing and learning. They will be awesome. Leave them be.

I am very unhappy with how people can react so badly to the way the Blazers are playing. I like the winning record and where they are headed.

Jack Tucker
12-29-2008, 01:40 AM
I think JT is just starting conversation.

Yep. :)

BoltLakerPadre
12-30-2008, 01:21 AM
Oh, I thought you were talking about the Lakers, and I was just going to say yes. But LaMarcus should remain untouchable. He's developing, he has a great skill set, and he has a great relationship with Roy.

A.Mopp
12-30-2008, 01:27 AM
If the right deal comes along you would have to consider moving him. Life for a star PG or SF just entering their prime. I don't believe anybody has a price, some just cost a lot more