PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies Expected to Sign Darius Miles This Weekend

I Am Awesome-O
12-13-2008, 03:18 AM
Yahoo Sports reported tonight that the Grizzlies are close to signing free-agent forward Darius Miles.

I have confirmed with a team source tonight that this is true and that the signing is expected to happen this weekend.

Why this is important: As the Yahoo story explains, signing Miles and playing him at least 10 games this season will cost the Portland Trailblazers major cap room over the next two offseasons. Since Portland is ahead of the Grizzlies among young Western conference teams and could be a direct competitor for free agents over the next two summers, screwing Portland over could have enormous benefits.

No one from the Grizzlies is going to discuss the signing in those terms, but make no mistake: Whatever happens with Miles on the court, killing Portland's cap space is the real benefit here.

Assuming this happens, as I've been told it is expected to this weekend, this is great. Love it.

I'm going to wait until this is official to have fun with it, but I expect a thousand Chris Wallace = Notorious B.I.G. references are about to bloom.

http://cmimemphis.com/grizblog/node/409#comment

Take that, Portland! This is a very good move, and I was waiting for someone to sign Miles just to keep Portland out of the free agent market over the next 2 years.

Now the Grizzlies have less competition in the free agent market over the next couple of years, and it also shows that Heisley is willing to pay players (at least I think). I wasn't sure about his willingness to pay, but the team is obviously getting ready for the signing period because they are trying to lower the competition.

Man, I know this is premature, but if we somehow get Blake Griffin in the lottery this year, watch out for this team. They would be a team with 3 young stars, with the cap flexibility to sign a player to a very large contract.

Imagine a starting lineup of O.J. Mayo, someone like Joe Johnson, Rudy Gay, Blake Griffin, and Marc Gasol... scary. The reason I mention Joe Johnson is that Chris Wallace has stated that he envisions the guard that he pairs next to Mayo in the future being a great shooter, one that can take some pressure off Mayo and play a little bit of point, and one that can drive the ball. Joe Johnson has all of those characteristics. I'm not saying that Joe Johnson will leave Atlanta to sign with us (even though Josh Smith tried to), but I am saying that Johnson is the type of player that we can try to sign and put next to Mayo.

This is all just me dreaming, but still, the future is very bright in Memphis.

drob33
12-13-2008, 05:04 AM
At first, I thought WTF for? Darius is broke, but now that I know we are sticking it to Portland, puts Wallace way up in my book. That's just good business there. That's the kind of killer instinct we need for this franchise to finally pull itself back out of the basement.

I don't see where this Joe Johnson nut-hugging comes from. The dude plays 2, he'd be taking time away from Mayo or forcing him to play out of position. IMO, having 2 SGs in the backcourt is a mistake, especially if this team really wants to perform in the post-season down the line.

If we're talking about the Hawks, I'd look at Bibby. There are rumors about him going to Portland floating around now. I'd like to see us push for the trade of Conley to POR, even if it is just for Outlaw and filler. Then sign Bibby in the FA market after the season. Before you guys start about him being too old, the guy's 29! He could easily perform at a high level for 3-5 more years, and won't be commanding the $14+ million he makes now. He can obviously still run an NBA offense (if we ever get one) and can put the ball in the basket; both of which I am unsure of Conley.

PG: Bibby
SG: Mayo
SF: Gay
PF: Arthur/ Darko/ 2009 draft pick/ 2009-10 FA signing
C: Gasol

Looks pretty good to me!

Deezy Dee 24
12-13-2008, 01:34 PM
finally we make a move in the nba.
i like it. joe johnson at the 2 and oj at the 1.

I Am Awesome-O
12-13-2008, 01:52 PM
At first, I thought WTF for? Darius is broke, but now that I know we are sticking it to Portland, puts Wallace way up in my book. That's just good business there. That's the kind of killer instinct we need for this franchise to finally pull itself back out of the basement.

I don't see where this Joe Johnson nut-hugging comes from. The dude plays 2, he'd be taking time away from Mayo or forcing him to play out of position. IMO, having 2 SGs in the backcourt is a mistake, especially if this team really wants to perform in the post-season down the line.

If we're talking about the Hawks, I'd look at Bibby. There are rumors about him going to Portland floating around now. I'd like to see us push for the trade of Conley to POR, even if it is just for Outlaw and filler. Then sign Bibby in the FA market after the season. Before you guys start about him being too old, the guy's 29! He could easily perform at a high level for 3-5 more years, and won't be commanding the $14+ million he makes now. He can obviously still run an NBA offense (if we ever get one) and can put the ball in the basket; both of which I am unsure of Conley.

Looks pretty good to me!

Well the problem with Bibby is that he plays full-time point guard. The guard we put next to O.J. has to be a big, athletic guard that can shoot the lights out of the ball. Bibby can shoot, but he is small and isn't a great athlete. Plus he is strictly a point guard that would take away from O.J.'s playmaking ability.

Chris Wallace has said that he sees O.J. as a 50-50 combo guard down the road. That's why I bring up Joe Johnson because Johnson is a 2 that can take an enormous amount of pressure off of Mayo, and he can also play a little bit of point when needed. Kyle Lowry/Mike Conley would then come off the bench and slide either Mayo or Johnson to the two, whichever player doesn't come out.

See Miami was thinking about doing that same thing by pairing Mayo with Wade, but they couldn't pass on Beasley's talent. We will if the HEAT passing up Mayo was a mistake or not in a few years, but at this point I think it was.

But anyways, think about how deadly that backcourt would have been in Miami. Now replace Wade with Joe Johnson (better shooter, but not nearly the playmaker Wade is), and you have got one of the scariest backcourts in the NBA, and you have two of the elite shooters in the game in the starting lineup. I think it would be a brilliant move to lure Johnson away from Atlanta. Of course, it's MUCH easier said than done.

Mr.Grizzly
12-14-2008, 12:20 AM
Darius miles to the grizz? I like! I like! I am a big fan of mile when ha came to the league, I cope he revives his carrer in memphis.

Tblaze
12-14-2008, 04:00 PM

Looks pretty good to me!

Hahah you expect you can screw over our organization and then trade with us? I think we'll just get Bibby ourselves :)

jboskie
12-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Anyone who thinks Bibby would be a better fit than Joe Joe doesn't watch much NBA. Mayo and the Grizz have expressed interest in moving Mayo to the one. Joe does it all plays good d and makes some big time shots. Theres not any team that couldn't use his skill set. A backcourt of Joe and Mayo would be unstoppable. Both create shots, hit the open shot, finish in the lane, run the floor, and find the open man. Not sure if Atlanta would let their main man walk but if they did this would be a dream scenario. Grizzleys should build this team around two way players scoreres that can defend. Which seems to be the way their going.

Deezy Dee 24
12-17-2008, 04:47 PM
^
yeah i agree.
joe johnson is the man.

I Am Awesome-O
12-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Anyone who thinks Bibby would be a better fit than Joe Joe doesn't watch much NBA. Mayo and the Grizz have expressed interest in moving Mayo to the one. Joe does it all plays good d and makes some big time shots. Theres not any team that couldn't use his skill set. A backcourt of Joe and Mayo would be unstoppable. Both create shots, hit the open shot, finish in the lane, run the floor, and find the open man. Not sure if Atlanta would let their main man walk but if they did this would be a dream scenario. Grizzleys should build this team around two way players scoreres that can defend. Which seems to be the way their going.

Exactly. That's what I was trying to emphasize. Dude are a Griz fan? We need every fan we can get. Welcome to PSD.

drob33
12-17-2008, 10:29 PM

You make good points here, but OJ Mayo is not a PG! He is a score first, pass second player. If the goal is to just make the playoffs then Johnson would probably help the most on his own. If the goal is to succeed in the playoffs and be a force in the championship picture, we need a traditional PG or a freak like Shaq. The last team to win w/o a true PG or Shaq had a guy named Jordan on the team.

blazerman
12-18-2008, 02:19 AM
Exactly. That's what I was trying to emphasize. Dude are a Griz fan? We need every fan we can get. Welcome to PSD.

Take that Portland, please!

Im glad your a Grizz fan because Id be embarrassed to be a fan of the same team as you.

First off, by picking up Miles it wont affect Portlands ability to get a free agent or two if we wanted, I think you forget about Raef's 12.7mil coming off this yr and even an even bigger assest in the Steve Francis' contract something you probably know nothing about.

Francis was bought out from the Blazers before last season but counted against the cap last yr and this yr, but at seasons end it comes off and its worth almost 16million. So Einstein even if Miles goes back on our books for this yr and next yr it really doesnt affect much for Portland because we still will have huge cap space and already are loaded at every position.

If your GM signed Miles just to attempt to affect the Blazers cap space so the Grizz have less competition to attract a FA then you guys are more desperate and pathetic than other people thought. I highly doubt your GM could entice any good players to sign a FA contract anyway.

By the way I double checked on when Miles contract is off Portlands books and Yahoo has it wrong, its at the end of next season and doesnt carry into the summer(besides that made no sense anyway)so that means Portland will have 9mil in 2010 when Rudy Gay is a FA. I bet K. Pritchard wont forget your GM's ploy to affect the Blazers plans(that 9mil and Outlaws expiring contract in 2010 would be just enough to sign Gay longterm!

I wonder how long it will take before Darius Miles has half your team carrying a 9m on trips to the local grocery store or doing a drive by near an elementary school or getting OJ Mayo so HIGH he thinks he just saw Elvis?

I Am Awesome-O
12-18-2008, 04:07 AM
^ Hahaha what a child. Ok I'm not going to try to like get into a big argument with you, because seriously you are not worth it. You are EXTREMELY immature and just stupid. I'm just going to explain to you how idiotic that post that you just posted was.

What I don't understand is this- If signing Miles has no affect on Portland's ability to sign free agents, why do all of the Portland fans get so damn defensive about it? Like a lot of Portland fans are still talking about getting players like Dwyane Wade (which is COMPLETELY laughable), so why do they care about the Grizzlies signing Miles so much?

Francis was bought out from the Blazers before last season but counted against the cap last yr and this yr, but at seasons end it comes off and its worth almost 16million. So Einstein even if Miles goes back on our books for this yr and next yr it really doesnt affect much for Portland because we still will have huge cap space and already are loaded at every position.

I knew about LaFrentz's expiring contract, as well as Steve Francis's. The only reason I talked about it affecting Portland's cap was because some of the first reports of the deal said that the deal was made strictly to hurt Portland's cap. Plus, they may be loaded at every position, but as of right now, they are not a championship team; they are a low-seed playoff team. When LaMarcus Aldridge is your 2nd best player, you are not going to compete for a championship. Now if they trade a lot of their young talent for a star veteran, then they can start competing.

By the way I double checked on when Miles contract is off Portlands books and Yahoo has it wrong, its at the end of next season and doesnt carry into the summer(besides that made no sense anyway)so that means Portland will have 9mil in 2010 when Rudy Gay is a FA. I bet K. Pritchard wont forget your GM's ploy to affect the Blazers plans(that 9mil and Outlaws expiring contract in 2010 would be just enough to sign Gay longterm!

Ok can you source the place you found out that Miles's contract comes off the books next year, and not in 2010? Because you are the one that is making NO sense. Oh and Rudy Gay to Portland? HAHAHAHAH. That is the statement that makes me sure that you are like in the 8th grade. I don't think Pritchard would sign Rudy Gay just to get back at Wallace, he would sign him to get an all-star small forward. But there's no point in even talking about it because Rudy Gay would never in a million years go to Portland. Hell, there is no way he even leaves Memphis. The fact that you think that the Blazers can sign Wade and Gay is hilarious, and it makes it obvious that YOU are the idiot.

Deezy Dee 24
12-18-2008, 10:42 AM
rudy to portland?
hahahahahahahaha

grow up.

he wont leave a city and an organazation that has treated him so well.
he is our star player of the future
and when we aquired oj mayo i know rudy was happy and he now sees which way our team is going from here.
Up.

Mr.Grizzly
12-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Portland loaded? I say loaded with GARBAGE! Greg Oden 1st overall pick, man i see the next MICHAEL OLOWOKANDI!

mzgrizz
12-19-2008, 12:31 AM
I doubt Portland will be a serious consideration for Rudy Gay, but would one of the Texas teams be after him then? I don't spend anytime looking up contracts.free agents,etc.. but are Dallas,San Antonio or Houston going to have the funds available when he's a FA? Just musing.......no rumors or sources in case the rumor police are surfing........

blazerman
12-19-2008, 08:39 PM
^ Hahaha what a child. Ok I'm not going to try to like get into a big argument with you, because seriously you are not worth it. You are EXTREMELY immature and just stupid. I'm just going to explain to you how idiotic that post that you just posted was.

What I don't understand is this- If signing Miles has no affect on Portland's ability to sign free agents, why do all of the Portland fans get so damn defensive about it? Like a lot of Portland fans are still talking about getting players like Dwyane Wade (which is COMPLETELY laughable), so why do they care about the Grizzlies signing Miles so much?

I knew about LaFrentz's expiring contract, as well as Steve Francis's. The only reason I talked about it affecting Portland's cap was because some of the first reports of the deal said that the deal was made strictly to hurt Portland's cap. Plus, they may be loaded at every position, but as of right now, they are not a championship team; they are a low-seed playoff team. When LaMarcus Aldridge is your 2nd best player, you are not going to compete for a championship. Now if they trade a lot of their young talent for a star veteran, then they can start competing.

Ok can you source the place you found out that Miles's contract comes off the books next year, and not in 2010? Because you are the one that is making NO sense. Oh and Rudy Gay to Portland? HAHAHAHAH. That is the statement that makes me sure that you are like in the 8th grade. I don't think Pritchard would sign Rudy Gay just to get back at Wallace, he would sign him to get an all-star small forward. But there's no point in even talking about it because Rudy Gay would never in a million years go to Portland. Hell, there is no way he even leaves Memphis. The fact that you think that the Blazers can sign Wade and Gay is hilarious, and it makes it obvious that YOU are the idiot.

First of all, I called a sports radio talk show called THE FAN in Portland and Miles contract expires at the end of the 2009/10 season. email them at comcastsportsnet.com

Who said we wanted Wade anyway, not me and I bet Gay Bolts Memphis the first chance he gets too.

I dont think Pritchard would sign Gay to get back at Wallace either, I think he would sign him only if it makes us better.

If Memphis is such an attractive place to come play why would you be so happy to screw Portland over in the first place, sounds like you and the Grizz need every advantage you can get.

Whats next hiring some thugs to force FA's to sign with the Grizz(I think thats another reason Memphis signed Miles). The Grizz are known for chicken s**t stuff like throwing games to get higher draft picks so it doesnt surprise me that the Grizz would sign Miles to effect another teams chances of signing a FA. I guess what ever it takes huh.

Oh yeah, the only idiot here is you!

mzgrizz
12-20-2008, 12:20 AM
[QUOTE=blazerman;7720411]). The Grizz are known for chicken s**t stuff like throwing games to get higher draft picks

I think you would need to quote a source on that statement. I believe the Grizz have honestly "earned" every loss they've made, as opposed to the Clippers 2-3 years ago when they purposely tanked in a game with us for a lower playoff seed against Denver ,I think. #4 played #5 and Memphis as #5 drew San Antonio. We had the higher percentage of wins that year, but were and still are in a TOUGH division and held hostage by it.

I Am Awesome-O
12-20-2008, 12:43 AM
:pity:. Blazerman, you didn't read my last post obviously-

The only reason I talked about it affecting Portland's cap was because some of the first reports of the deal said that the deal was made strictly to hurt Portland's cap. I said that.

Ok now look at this- http://cmimemphis.com/grizblog/node/409. That was the first I had read about the Miles signing.

But then a few days later, I came across this- http://3shadesofblue.com/20081217169/memphis-grizzlies/december-2008/explaining-walker-and-miles.html.

So I know that the Miles signing wasn't about Portland's cap now. I'm sure that Wallace thought about Portland taking a cap hit, but I know that that wasn't the main reason we signed Miles.

I dont think Pritchard would sign Gay to get back at Wallace either, I think he would sign him only if it makes us better.

Do you honestly and truly think that Rudy will leave Memphis to go to Portland? Why the hell would he leave a small market team to go to another small market team? Plus, he will be a RESTRICTED free agent (you probably don't even know what that means), which means that any offer that another team makes, the Grizzlies can match. So good luck signing Rudy Gay and keep thinking that Portland actually can, because you will be very disappointed in 2010.

Who said we wanted Wade anyway, not me and I bet Gay Bolts Memphis the first chance he gets too.

I have freaking seen Portland fans say that they should go after Wade. And there is no convincing people like you, uneducated fans that know nothing about basketball, that Gay won't leave Memphis because they have a small market. Not everyone can go to New York, FYI. You should know that being a fan of a small market team.

If Memphis is such an attractive place to come play why would you be so happy to screw Portland over in the first place, sounds like you and the Grizz need every advantage you can get.

Ok you said that Portland wasn't getting screwed over at all because of the Miles signing. Make up your mind. And yes, the Grizzlies need all the help we can get. We have gotten screwed out of the lottery every year, unlike Portland, who has lucked out immensely before by getting Oden.

Whats next hiring some thugs to force FA's to sign with the Grizz(I think thats another reason Memphis signed Miles). The Grizz are known for chicken s**t stuff like throwing games to get higher draft picks so it doesnt surprise me that the Grizz would sign Miles to effect another teams chances of signing a FA. I guess what ever it takes huh.

Are you really accusing Memphis of playing dirty?-
http://portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=121693653261551200

http://celticsgreen.blogspot.com/2008/08/conspiracy-theories.html

Wow, I thought that it didn't make a difference whether or not Miles's salary went back on Portland's cap. Your beloved front office sure doesn't seem to think so. It doesn't get much lower than that, trying to keep a player out of the league so a team doesn't have his salary on their cap. So yeah you can just shut up and forget about Memphis being the cheaters. When have they ever been accused of cheating or anything like that? It's not like they have ever won the lottery or anything like that, so how could they be cheating? That was just a ******** comment in every aspect.

Oh yeah, the only idiot here is you!

:sigh: Why did I waste so much time on you? I just wanted you to know that I am not an idiot by any means. I am not like stupid or anything like that. You may still think I am stupid after reading this, but I don't care because this is the last comment I will make on this pointless argument and this subject, because I hate arguing with people and this took forever to type up.

blazerman
12-21-2008, 01:57 AM
:pity:. Blazerman, you didn't read my last post obviously-
I said that.

Ok now look at this- http://cmimemphis.com/grizblog/node/409. That was the first I had read about the Miles signing.

But then a few days later, I came across this- http://3shadesofblue.com/20081217169/memphis-grizzlies/december-2008/explaining-walker-and-miles.html.

So I know that the Miles signing wasn't about Portland's cap now. I'm sure that Wallace thought about Portland taking a cap hit, but I know that that wasn't the main reason we signed Miles.

Do you honestly and truly think that Rudy will leave Memphis to go to Portland? Why the hell would he leave a small market team to go to another small market team? Plus, he will be a RESTRICTED free agent (you probably don't even know what that means), which means that any offer that another team makes, the Grizzlies can match. So good luck signing Rudy Gay and keep thinking that Portland actually can, because you will be very disappointed in 2010.

I have freaking seen Portland fans say that they should go after Wade. And there is no convincing people like you, uneducated fans that know nothing about basketball, that Gay won't leave Memphis because they have a small market. Not everyone can go to New York, FYI. You should know that being a fan of a small market team.

Ok you said that Portland wasn't getting screwed over at all because of the Miles signing. Make up your mind. And yes, the Grizzlies need all the help we can get. We have gotten screwed out of the lottery every year, unlike Portland, who has lucked out immensely before by getting Oden.

Are you really accusing Memphis of playing dirty?-
http://portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=121693653261551200

http://celticsgreen.blogspot.com/2008/08/conspiracy-theories.html

Wow, I thought that it didn't make a difference whether or not Miles's salary went back on Portland's cap. Your beloved front office sure doesn't seem to think so. It doesn't get much lower than that, trying to keep a player out of the league so a team doesn't have his salary on their cap. So yeah you can just shut up and forget about Memphis being the cheaters. When have they ever been accused of cheating or anything like that? It's not like they have ever won the lottery or anything like that, so how could they be cheating? That was just a ******** comment in every aspect.

:sigh: Why did I waste so much time on you? I just wanted you to know that I am not an idiot by any means. I am not like stupid or anything like that. You may still think I am stupid after reading this, but I don't care because this is the last comment I will make on this pointless argument and this subject, because I hate arguing with people and this took forever to type up.

I find it very funny that keep referring to me as uneducated, in reality I went to the U. of Oregon on a wrestling a scholarship and have a Bachelors Degree. Im sure your not an FBI profiler so stop trying to make assumptions based on a few posts over the internet.

You say that your not trying to get into a war of words, well then, stop going into the Blazers forums an starting s**t with people.

I also could careless what happens with Rudy Gay or anybody else on your team.

If Miles is able to perform at the NBA level and succeed thats fine but it doesnt change my opinion of him as a person. Of course his salary going back on the books will change a few things as far as the Blazers are concerned, but do really think you were gonna go into a Blazer forum and and take jabs at Blazers fans. NOT HAPPENING!

I Am Awesome-O
12-21-2008, 03:31 PM
I find it very funny that keep referring to me as uneducated, in reality I went to the U. of Oregon on a wrestling a scholarship and have a Bachelors Degree. Im sure your not an FBI profiler so stop trying to make assumptions based on a few posts over the internet.

You say that your not trying to get into a war of words, well then, stop going into the Blazers forums an starting s**t with people.

I also could careless what happens with Rudy Gay or anybody else on your team.

If Miles is able to perform at the NBA level and succeed thats fine but it doesnt change my opinion of him as a person. Of course his salary going back on the books will change a few things as far as the Blazers are concerned, but do really think you were gonna go into a Blazer forum and and take jabs at Blazers fans. NOT HAPPENING!

Dude I have posted on the Blazer forum once or twice since I have been on PSD, and in no way did I take a jab at any Blazer fans, I can tell you that. All I said was that Miles's contract wasn't going to go off Portland's cap for two years, not one, if Miles played 10 games for the Grizzlies. How is that taking a jab at anyone? How was I trying to start ******* with anyone at all? I promise you that this argument was not anything near what I had in mind when I posted that on the Blazer forum. Seriously, you took what I said way too freaking far and seriously.

blazerman
12-23-2008, 04:16 AM
Dude I have posted on the Blazer forum once or twice since I have been on PSD, and in no way did I take a jab at any Blazer fans, I can tell you that. All I said was that Miles's contract wasn't going to go off Portland's cap for two years, not one, if Miles played 10 games for the Grizzlies. How is that taking a jab at anyone? How was I trying to start ******* with anyone at all? I promise you that this argument was not anything near what I had in mind when I posted that on the Blazer forum. Seriously, you took what I said way too freaking far and seriously.

I dont know anybody in Portland that dislikes the Grizzlies and I dont dislike them either. After I read your post in the Blazer forum and then went to the Grizz forum to check out the latest on the Miles signing the first thing I see is "take that Portland".

I got offended because Im like what the **** did Portland do to the Grizz. Also me and some of my friends used to like the Grizz and go see them play at least 10/15 times a yr when they were an expansion team in Vancouver BC. My friends and I kinda made them our second favorite team after we started going up there to watch the games and party a little(who am I kidding we partied alot)

It was either root for Seattle or the Vancouver Grizzlies besides the Blazers(a northwest thing I guess) and I can tell you I dont think rooting for the Sonics would fly by a Portlander.

Anyway I kinda expected teams that are already good in the west to be happy to try and **** the Blazers so they could stay on top a little longer but I was kinda surprised to see another team on the rise(Grizz) be excited about the idea of being the team that tried to keep the Blazers down.

I would rather see alot more of the Blazers and other teams (Grizz,Twolves and even the sonics) get back on top so I can see someone other than the Lakers, Suns and Celtics on tv sometimes.

kingjanjic
12-24-2008, 08:17 PM
first of all y would bibby or joe get traded when altanta is one of the top teams in the east n is only gettin better

2nd of all, y would they go to a team as free agents that has no chance of making the playoff? clearly both bibby n joe r gettin older and r looking for a championship n im sure the whole world nos memphis isnt gettin a championship any time soon.