PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Updates: Randy Johnson?

Brew Crew
12-11-2008, 12:32 AM
Las Vegas - We just had our daily briefing with Brewers general manager Doug Melvin and here are the latest updates on several topics:

*Free agents Ben Sheets and Brian Shouse.

“We’ll let our guys go out and see what they can get (on the free agent market)," said Melvin.

Melvin reiterated he has no plans to make an offer to Sheets, who is being courted by Texas and the Yankees.

"I think he's going to be OK," said Melvin.

Melvin said Sheets had his house in Dallas for sale but took it off the market, perhaps in anticipation of striking a deal with the Rangers.

*Pitching needs

“We probably need, ideally, one of each (starter and reliever),” said Melvin. “It’s whatever becomes available that fits for the right price. We’re looking free agency first. The trades are tougher.”

*Free agent pitcher Randy Johnson

The Brewers are interested but the problem with that pursuit is that Johnson prefers to play on the West Coast, and teams such as Oakland and the Los Angeles Dodgers have shown interest.

“We’ve inquired about him,” said Melvin. “We fit four of the five criteria he’s looking for. The one we’re missing is location, the West Coast. We won’t give up on it but we haven’t made any offer.”

*Trade talks

Melvin also talked with the Texas Rangers about their available starters, Kevin Millwood and Vicente Padilla, but nothing came of it.

“I called them back and told them we were going to look elsewhere,” said Melvin.

Melvin said he had nothing going with San Francisco or Seattle, despite reports indicating otherwise.

*Free agent relievers Trevor Hoffman and Brian Fuentes

Melvin met with Rick Thurman, the representative for both closers. Melvin told Thurman he wouldn’t pursue Hoffman but left the door open on Fuentes.

The left-handed Fuentes, 33, is looking for a deal better than the two-year, $20 million offer Kerry Wood got from Cleveland and there has been brisk action on him.

“We’re in conversations with a lot of teams right now,” said Thurman, who said it was “definitely possible” that he’d hear back from Melvin.

St. Louis has made no bones about making Fuentes its top priority on the market.

*Available funds

Melvin has said many times that the $100 million he offered CC Sabathia would not be rolled over to another big-ticket free agent. But he did say some of that money was available to pursue pitching help.

“We’ve got some flexibility to do things,” said Melvin. “But one person isn’t going to replace the six (free agents) that we lost.”

*Rule 5 Draft

With three spots open on the 40-man roster and looking to all areas for pitching help, Melvin said he was considering making a pick in the Rule 5 draft tomorrow of unprotected players. Any player taken in that draft must be kept on the big-league roster next season, however, or offered back.

“We’re looking to take somebody, probably a pitcher,” said Melvin.

*Chris Capuano update

Friday is the deadline to tender contracts to players for next season. The Brewers are expected to non-tender left-hander Chris Capuano, who sat out the 2008 season after undergoing reconstructive elbow surgery.

Capuano had a $3.75 million salary and teams are not allowed to cut pay by more than 20%. With Capuano’s status for the start of next season in question, it’s highly unlikely the Brewers would commit that kind of money to him.

Assistant general manager Gord Ash said a decision had been made on Capuano but wouldn’t divulge it. One likelihood is that the Brewers would work out a lesser deal with Capuano with incentives should he return to regular action in 2009.

Sheets looking at Texas is also interesting. Maybe because the Yankees are on to something with Burnett. Besides that, I hope we don't go after Vicente Padilla or Kevin Millwood.

WI Sports Fan
12-11-2008, 02:08 AM
That article was disappointing...

Fuentes and the Big Unit appear to be the only areas of interest. They haven't offered Johnson a contract and Fuentes is looking for more than $20 million over 2 years. You do the math...

I hate to be a pessimist, but it seems inevitable that the Cubs will make a big move or two in addition to returning about everyone, while we've already lost a few key pieces to our team and are on the verge of adding little, if not dishing out more.

Madtown343
12-11-2008, 02:13 AM
Agreed = rebuild...

What about Randy Wolf instead of Randy Johnson, do a two year Deal. He pitched well in the NL Central for Hou last year and would fit in alright with Gallardo, Parra, and Bush. I think if you sign him and make soup your 5th it is a little more competetive.

gottaHaveHart
12-11-2008, 02:49 AM
the big unit didnt look good last year againtst the brewers, but i think CC was pitching then... If we get Fuentes, we should have just given cordero the extra money last year.. going after wolf for one year might be a good ieda.... i truely hope we dont get a ranger pitcher either

Smithy04
12-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Fuentes appears to be our only free agent CL option as of right now with Hoffman apparently not going to work out. Maybe we should work out a trade of some sort for like Oakland's Huston Street like we talked about last season. That would be great!!

4d32petersc
12-11-2008, 06:14 PM
If the Cubs get Peavy its over... They are still going to sign a big name corner outfielder.

Their rotation will be crazy good

OC Knights #11
12-11-2008, 06:18 PM
I keep hearing Melvin talking about how we have the money to be flexible and were in a good position, i think he is full of himself. I think the brewers are ****ed, and for the people that are saying lets rebuild. We've only been rebuilding this team for last 10 years, we didn't win world series or anything, we made it to the playoffs, big whoop. Come on, we need some fricken talent........Come on guys, tell me how i am wrong and somehow the Brewers are going to be fine.

4d32petersc
12-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Lets hope. We are a long way away from opening day.

4d32petersc
12-11-2008, 06:22 PM
You aren't wrong. We are totally F'd this year if we don't sign some Aces and a closer.

also, i'm sick of rebuilding... we have a good young core.

BrewersFan25
12-11-2008, 06:31 PM
I don't think Randy Johnson is going to want to sign with us and there is no way I would pay Fuentes more then Wood got with the Indians.

BrewersFan25
12-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Agent Barry Meister said Thursday that Randy Johnson is "really interested" in playing for the Giants.
roto

OC Knights #11
12-11-2008, 06:43 PM
roto

? i don't understand why players want to play in san fran. I mean if you arn't an illeagal alien or gay then why? Seriously though, the team isn't any good, why would Randy want to end his career there.

Brew Crew
12-11-2008, 07:31 PM
I laugh at this "we are ****ed" ****. Does anybody remember how "set" we were last year and the year before that in terms of our rotation? What happened to that (obviously we got CC last year in the second half) Worse then what we thought. Ok so look at the Cardinals. Didn't everyone think that rotation was going to be **** just last year? And look how well they did for a while last season until they all got injured. My point being you never know what's going to happen. Of course it's hard when we lose our two best and two of the best in CC and Sheets, but there is time. Why you guys are panicing going crazy saying we need talent is just crazy. Young talent has been the Brewers for a while now. We got guys who are good. Braun, Fielder, Hardy, and I hold my breathe on this one - Corey Hart. We've got some good young pitchers Gallardo, Parra, Villenueva. You don't know what will happen, Seth Mclung can become something great, Suppan can play like he's paid (wishful thinking). There are still guys out there that the Brewers can pick up via the trade or FA. We have trade bait. We're a couple starters, couple relievers away from being a team that still has a chance.

Madtown343
12-11-2008, 08:25 PM
If we could get Wolf at a Two year - 16 million I think he would easilly produce enough for a # 3 starter.

Brew Crew
12-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Smoltz would sell some tickets that's for sure.

packerfan4321
12-11-2008, 11:08 PM
Smoltz is the only thing that makes sense? Its obvious he wants someone with experience, but Randy Johnson? no way. What the word on Brad Penny? was he signed already? He had a down year, but maybe that means he would be a lot cheaper...

brewersfan729
12-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Why no way on Randy Johnson? He had a very good year last year.

Madtown343
12-12-2008, 03:22 AM
Johnson is a little bit of a risk because he hasent stayed exceptionally healthy the past couple years, but I still like him over Smotlz and Moyer.

I still think Randy Wolf would not be a terrible option for a year or two as a back of the rotation type pitcher. We have paid Jeff Suppan much more than what Wolf is asking and both guys are the type that take the ball every 5 days... only differences Wolf actually gets people out every now and then.