PDA

View Full Version : Brewers trading Fielder??

BrewersFan25
12-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Found this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3758366&name=winter_meetings_2008

Not sure if it was a typo or ESPN meant a three way deal

brewersfan729
12-09-2008, 08:18 PM
It's from Steve Phillips so it usually won't make sense. I'm going to flip out if we trade Prince for a freaking closer.

Brooke
12-09-2008, 09:02 PM
I can see them trading him but for a SP not a closer

CREW BACKER
12-09-2008, 09:26 PM
I don't care what kind of "package" the Mariners try to put together, this is bad. I'm not totally against trading Prince, but not for a freaking closer. And probably not for anything Seattle would be able to offer. Come on Melvin, don't give away what little offense we have for a pitcher who only pitches when we're ahead. How can he ever pitch if we have no offense to get ahead?!

Madtown343
12-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Just an idea, but what does KC have other than Grienke to offer in a deal for Prince?

brewersfan729
12-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Why would KC need Prince? They have Jacobs, Shealy, Butler and Ka'aihue for 1B/DH.

OC Knights #11
12-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Ya i am def. against this one. I see no reason why we trade anyone for a closer none the less Prince Fielder. LETS just put someone in the closers role and see what happens, it certainly worked out good with Torres last season. Also look at the Braves teams from the 90's.

BrewPackBuckfan
12-09-2008, 10:26 PM
No thank you I could see a trade to the marlins for a package of Dan Uggla, Jorge Cantu, Josh Johnson and maybe a mid-level prospect for Prince Fielder, Bill Hall and Jeff Suppan.

Brew Crew
12-09-2008, 10:27 PM
No thank you I could see a trade to the marlins for a package of Dan Uggla, Jorge Cantu, Josh Johnson and maybe a mid-level prospect for Prince Fielder, Bill Hall and Jeff Suppan.

I doubt they'd want overpaying expiring contracts. Especially subpar players (besides Fielder of course).

And to most likely end this...

Melvin said he did talk about possible trades with Seattle general manager Jack Zduriencik, the Brewers' former scouting director. Melvin wouldn't reveal which names were discussed but the Brewers are known to have interest in Mariners closer J.J. Putz, who is available via trade.

But Melvin said he decided he did not have a match with the Mariners, so you can forget those rumors about Fielder going to Seattle.

"I don't think so, at this point," Melvin said of a possible match with the Mariners. "He's familiar with our players so he probably would prefer to do a deal with us."

brewersfan729
12-09-2008, 10:55 PM

Yeah, the Marlins of all teams would be the ones to take on the contracts of Hall and Suppan and the increasing contract of Fielder. :rolleyes:

brewersfan729
12-10-2008, 02:49 AM
The Marlins already have a first base prospect which is why they traded Jacobs. They don't need Prince.

Dcup
12-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Prince will be around next year. If he's not we better have someone like Matt Cain or Jake Peavy suiting up for us. A closer, especially Putz (who was injured most of last year), would be absolutely stupid. I dont think anything like that will happen. Melvin is not an idiot.

Duddy415
12-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Yea and Steve Phillips also said that Sheets was going to accept arbitration and that KRod was going to end up back in Anaheim, This guys a joke. That trade doesnt even make sense.

4d32petersc
12-10-2008, 12:43 PM
The Brewers should sign Mark Teixeira and trade Prince for Peavey.

This won't happen but it would be awesome if it did.

favre_4life
12-10-2008, 01:44 PM
**** that ****. Thats an awful trade.

4d32petersc
12-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Very educated comment. Would you like to elaborate?

Madtown343
12-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Brewers729... would KC have an interest in possibly Hart? I really like what Grienke has done in his 1+ years as a starter and he looks like he is due for an absolute break out. A move to the NL wouldnt hurt that any...

brewersfan729
12-10-2008, 04:06 PM
They might. We'd have to add more though. Probably an Escobar type to even get them to listen.

Dcup
12-10-2008, 06:52 PM
They might. We'd have to add more though. Probably an Escobar type to even get them to listen.

What if we pursued a similar deal, but rather have it center around Hardy. Not saying I want to get rid of Hardy, but this deal could possibly make sense.

Madtown343
12-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Really you think it would take Hart and one of out top 3 prospects? This makes it even more of a joke that whole Braves-KC rumor was. I dont know if anyone else heard that, but apparently they were in talks with a Francouer - Grienke swap. What about say Hart and maybe Green, Brewer, Irrabaren? Any If prospect other than Escobar?

brewersfan729
12-10-2008, 07:23 PM
There was never any truth to the Greinke/Francoeur rumor.

djkwala006
12-10-2008, 10:08 PM
How about Prince for Brandon Marrow and Phillipe Aumont. Royals want a dan harren ransom for Grienke. The rays could have interest in Hart and they have a surplus of pitching to deal from...wade davis? I think Mike Cameron to the yankees will happen now that they have CC...hopefully hughes but most likely Kennedy.

TheUltimateGM
12-10-2008, 11:29 PM
^ The Mariners would never do that.

Brew Crew
12-11-2008, 12:34 AM
And JJ Putz has just been traded to the Mets.

Maybe...The Brewer's are trying to work something out with Fuentes or Hoffmann. Melvin met with the agent for the second time today.

gottaHaveHart
12-11-2008, 02:55 AM
^^^ hope not(not for 10mil+), just fill in until next offseason *rebuild*

B2B
12-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Brewer fan 29 don't respond I already know your take on this trade but I'm curios as to what other Brewer fans think.

JAYS TRADE

BJ Ryan #'s r similar maybe even better than Putz. A 10 mil a year salary for 2ys, 2mil more than Putz. Jays pay part of his salary.

Overbay - LH batter, defensive 1st baseman, good OBP and although not Fielder type power has power to the gaps.

Comparison:
Overbay-Avg 270 HR 15 RBI 69 R 74 SB 1
Feilder-Avg 276 HR 34 RBI 102 R 86 SB 3

Cooper - Jays 1st base prospect (He's playing well)

-This past season with California, Cooper hit at a .359 clip with 19 home runs and 55 RBIs in 56 games for the Golden Bears. The 6-foot-1, 210-pound LH first baseman added 14 doubles and scored 55 runs, while posting a .449 on-base percentage and a .682 slugging percentage

R.Romero - LH pitching prospect best pitch (curveball)

For

Fielder

Why for the Brewers?

- A closer in Ryan with the Jays paying part of his salary

- A LH 1st baseman in Overbay to replace Fielder

- A LH 1st base prospect in Cooper to replace Overbay

- A LH top pitching prospect in Romero

Why for the Jays?

- We need a DH/LH power bat
- We want to clear salary because we most likely wont be in contention till 2010 because of injuries to our starting rotation + the loss of AJ

Brew Crew
12-18-2008, 07:11 PM
Another one of these...:sigh:

- A closer in Ryan with the Jays paying part of his salary

The Brewers won't overpay for a closer and even if the Jays were willing to pay part of his salary, I don't think it would be enough especially for one who has had some serious injury problems. And if we wanted to go and get a high profile, $12 mil or more closer we would've kept Cordero or hell, even gone after K-Rod.

- A LH 1st baseman in Overbay to replace Fielder

We traded Overbay to open up a spot for Fielder. This would make no sense anyways as we have control over Fielder for a couple more years still. We could get a young MLB ready pitcher for Fielder too.

- A LH 1st base prospect in Cooper to replace Overbay

If we need a cover up at 1B we have Brad Nelson and Mat Gamel if we needed him to move from 3B

To add to this, I don't know if the Jays GM would trade a closer, two (as you seem to imply) "good" prospects for a DH who is going to be asking for a ton of money.

Brew Crew
12-18-2008, 07:18 PM
^^^ hope not(not for 10mil+), just fill in until next offseason *rebuild*

If we were rebuilding we wouldn't have interest in old guys commanding high contracts. We'd be playing all of our young guys, (Anyone remember Enrique Cruz?) who instead we are holding off until they are fully prepared.

If we were rebuilding...There would be no question that Salome, Gamel and Escobar would have starting spots.

Murrrrr32
12-18-2008, 10:42 PM
you dumbass the mets traded for j.j putz like two weeks ago!

brewersfan729
12-18-2008, 11:49 PM
you dumbass the mets traded for j.j putz like two weeks ago!

Great first post. Now check to see when the original post was made. When you do, we'll all be laughing at you.

McNam003
12-19-2008, 10:38 AM
Great first post. Now check to see when the original post was made. When you do, we'll all be laughing at you.

Great way to get less people to post here, but i do love the irony of the dumbass

Brew Crew
12-19-2008, 02:02 PM
I love it when people post something like that as their first and only post and then never post again. Seriously you made an account just to post that and then never come back? Why bother? :shrug:

Ha! Sad thing is I had to do that on JSOnline for one of the blogs about the Bucks because of something one kid said. I also did that on ******.com because someone thought Peavy for Escobar and Jeffries was a fair trade.

Bronxbombers182
12-23-2008, 11:32 AM
How about the Brewers trade for Peavy, do they have enough talent?

crewfan13
12-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Hopefully Peavy will get frustrated with San Deigo's inability to trade him, and expand his list of teams...but I doubt it.

Pcs Papa
12-24-2008, 01:57 PM
What if we could trade Prince for Peavy and just sign Sheets, but who would play first?

Brew Crew
12-24-2008, 02:01 PM
What if we could trade Prince for Peavy and just sign Sheets, but who would play first?

Why? They have Adrian Gonzalez and I don't think they would want to get rid of him just yet.

And if we got Peavy, we wouldn't sign Sheets.