PDA

View Full Version : Brewers may have upped CC offer

Smithy04
12-08-2008, 06:28 PM
Brewers may have upped offer to CC
**Sixth year, opt-out clause under consideration, reports say**

By Adam McCalvy / MLB.com
12/08/08 1:32 PM EST

LAS VEGAS -- The Brewers may have upped their offer to free-agent ace CC Sabathia before a face-to-face meeting at the Bellagio, and team officials may be mulling another new twist: an opt-out clause midway through the deal.
The Chicago Tribune cited "sources" Monday indicating that the Brewers had already added a sixth year to their initial proposal, and that general manager Doug Melvin was "considering a willingness" to add a clause that would give Sabathia the opportunity to opt out after three seasons. In that scenario, Sabathia could be a free agent again in the 2011-12 offseason as a 31-year-old.

But that report was topped by SI.com, which reported that the opt-out clause could be presented after just two years, when Sabathia would be 30. SI.com was among the outlets reporting that the Brewers were only considering adding the sixth year, and had not yet done so formally.

Sabathia remains the Brewers' top offseason target, and his decision could impact the rest of the team's winter maneuvering. As expected, Sabathia declined the club's arbitration offer on Sunday night, but the sides can continue negotiating. Milwaukee will get two extra Draft picks if Sabathia signs with another team. Melvin had plans to meet with Sabathia's representatives on Monday.

The Yankees have made the only other confirmed offer to Sabathia, who might be waiting for his home-state teams from California to jump in. The Giants, Angels and Dodgers have all been linked to Sabathia in published reports with varying levels of interest.

Adam McCalvy is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081208&content_id=3706034&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

Smithy04
12-08-2008, 06:28 PM
This is great news that the Brewers are even more heavily pursuing CC than before.

Madtown343
12-09-2008, 03:06 AM
If true, this would be cool. Would give us time to not only see Parra and Gallardo develop, but more time to be patient with arms in the minors. (Jeffres mainly, but also the slew of young pitchers we drafted in 2008) Would really nice to see a couple of those arms we drafted this year stick and end up pairing with Gallardo and Parra in three years and we could be free to let CC walk.

Brew Crew
12-09-2008, 10:12 AM
I hear Melvin laughed off the whole "opt out clause" so I'm not sure how true that is.

gottaHaveHart
12-09-2008, 06:18 PM
the brewers are back to being the front runners for CC
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/extrabaggs/2008/12/09/giants-talk-to-sabathias-camp-yanks-rumored-to-be-out/
the yanks might be out

OC Knights #11
12-09-2008, 10:16 PM
^ i like what i read but, come on. The writer is from the giants, don't you think he would be a little bias?

wissportsfan
12-10-2008, 12:03 AM
I'm glad we are really trying hard for CC. That alone shows me this team is trying.

zookerman182
12-10-2008, 01:48 AM
cc will be a giant.

I was really hoping he would stay