PDA

View Full Version : Todd Coffey resigned

nwilfan
12-08-2008, 01:10 PM
not a surprise, Melvin said it was more a move for next year when he took him off waivers.

$800,000 with 200,000 incentives

http://blogs.denverpost.com/rockies/2008/12/08/rockies-sign-c-phillips-brewers-bring-back-coffey/

Smithy04
12-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Along with Julio, I'm very, very happy that we got Coffey back for a full season in 2009. I liked his play with the Reds and thought that he did a good job for us last season for the little time he was with us too.

Madtown343
12-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Good downward movement, makes him a good reliever to get you out of jams with the double play ball... if he can build on the success he had with us last year he could help in a bullpen that is going to have a complete face lift for another season.

Madtown343
12-09-2008, 03:04 AM
I hope we make a move above and beyond Julio and Coffey for closer, but I agree having Insurance policies is very important. (see 2008 solamon torres)

long ball
12-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Don't get me wrong, Coffey did a nice job for the Brewers in September but he's a pretty average reliever at best. At 800k-1mil it's not a bad investment. Don't expect and dazzling numbers.

Dcup
12-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Here's a potential closer right here. He closed for Cincy for awhile a couple years back if I remember correctly, and he was respectable. He cant be any worse than Turnbow...

BaRRySandAmaN
12-10-2008, 02:23 PM
I actually was very pleased to see them sign him back. He is a solid reliever with experience....:clap: to Melvin

BrewersFan25
12-10-2008, 06:38 PM
I hope we make a move above and beyond Julio and Coffey for closer, but I agree having Insurance policies is very important. (see 2008 solamon torres)

It seems like the Brewers are good at making closers out of players (Turnbow, Kolb) but then seem to get in trouble when they sign big names (Gagne, Torres). I think we should just stick with who we have now and go after starting pitching.

Madtown343
12-10-2008, 07:30 PM
then seem to get in trouble when they sign big names (Gagne, Torres). I think we should just stick with who we have now and go after starting pitching.

You must have made a mistake grouping what Torres did for us last year as mistake along the lines of spending 10 mil on Gagne. Torres was our best reliever for most of the season, and completely saved the season in that aspect. Also I wouldnt say he was much of a big name, we got him in a throw away deal with the pirates via trade not FA.

Anyways I am not saying I think we need to sign Fuentes ( Wood, Krod are gone) or trade for Putz, Jenks etc..., but I do think we need to keep adding arms alot like Torres so that if Mcclung, Riske, Coffey, Julio are not it at closer we have more options.

What about Houston Street from Colorado? They seem primed to give the job back to Manny Corpas making Street expednable.