PDA

View Full Version : Brewers in trade talks for Jenks?

1-800-STFU
12-06-2008, 12:08 AM
Paul White of USA Today was on XM radio and he mentioned that the Sox and Brewers are in some heavy talks about Jenks.

This was posted in the White Sox forum. No link sorry.

Figured you would be interested.

hgtiger32
12-06-2008, 12:46 AM
IMO Jenks is overrated...had a good postseason and bla since

brewersfan729
12-06-2008, 12:56 AM
I wouldn't give up what it would cost with a ton of relief pitching options in free agency.

MGB
12-06-2008, 03:44 AM

Ya, I'm with you, that record consecutive perfect innings streak is kinda just meh...

WhiteSox0507
12-06-2008, 03:58 AM

Ya, I'm with you, that record consecutive perfect innings streak is kinda just meh...

Being a Sox fan, this is going to sound biast, but 41 saves in '06, 40 saves with a 2.77 ERA with the 41 perfect inning streak during a season when we only won 72 games in '07, and 30 saves with a 2.63 ERA in '08 while missing time with bursitis in his shoulder (left shoulder so it shouldn't be a concern about his right arm).

However, with what it'd cost you to get him and with the other available closers, I could see why you'd pass.

jtrinaldi
12-06-2008, 09:12 AM
hey sox fan im a huge prospect fan how much prospects are u talking for him anyone but theselucroy
laurie
brewer
escobar
gamel
irribarren
nelson
brewer
ordiozzi

if its not them do it

Muttman73
12-06-2008, 10:51 AM
Remember, Reinsdorf and Selig are buddies...anything can happen

jtrinaldi
12-06-2008, 11:07 AM
im guessing weeks and gwyn and maybe cain

long ball
12-06-2008, 01:04 PM
im guessing weeks and gwyn and maybe cain
Weeks would make some sense for the White Sox. Now the Cabrera is gone they can move Alexi Ramirez over to short and Weeks could be their starting 2b. TGJ would basically be a throw in. The Sox need an outfielder or 2 if Dye is traded. But I have mixed feelings about Cain. He's a corneroutfielder so te Brewers don't have a spot for him in the forseeable future but I think he's going to be pretty good.

I don't know if the Sox would want anything to do with Weeks or Gywnn though.

whitesox24/7
12-06-2008, 01:24 PM

What is seriously the matter with you? Yeah you're right, I guess ****in solomen torres was better than Jenks right? The Brewers would be lucky to get a quality closer like this. Jenks has averages around 36 saves in the last 3 years, but yeah you're right, i guess he's overrated. I'm not just saying this cuz im a sox fan, but Jenks is definitely one of the top 5 closers in baseball and he's still only 27 years old. So dude, do me a favor, next time you say something ******** like this... have some knowledge first okay?

long ball
12-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Jenks is definitely one of the top 5 closers in baseball and he's still only 27 years old. So dude, do me a favor, next time you say something ******** like this... have some knowledge first okay?

Francisco Rodriguez
Joakim Soria
Jonathan Papelbon
Joe Nathan
Mariano Rivera

5 closers easily better than Jenks is. I do think Jenks is pretty good though. Probably in the top 10 closers is the league.

1-800-STFU
12-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Francisco Rodriguez
Joakim Soria
Jonathan Papelbon
Joe Nathan
Mariano Rivera

5 closers easily better than Jenks is. I do think Jenks is pretty good though. Probably in the top 10 closers is the league.

I agree.

Jenks is in the 7-10 range. No way in hell is he top5. He will probably even digress this year because his K/9 is going downhill the past 2 years.

I think Hardy or Weeks would for sure be in this deal. I don't think you are going to give up Parra and I know for sure Galarrdo isn't going anywhere.

1-800-STFU
12-06-2008, 02:41 PM
What is seriously the matter with you? Yeah you're right, I guess ****in solomen torres was better than Jenks right? The Brewers would be lucky to get a quality closer like this. Jenks has averages around 36 saves in the last 3 years, but yeah you're right, i guess he's overrated. I'm not just saying this cuz im a sox fan, but Jenks is definitely one of the top 5 closers in baseball and he's still only 27 years old. So dude, do me a favor, next time you say something ******** like this... have some knowledge first okay?

Jenks isn't top5. Don't be a homer :(

Brew Crew
12-06-2008, 03:56 PM

1. Who the **** ever brought up Torres?

2. Dude, hey dude, Guess you like being hypocrital don't you dude....With names like Rivera, Rodriguez, Cordero, Lidge, Nathan, Papelbon you must've been drunk when you typed that one out.

WI Sports Fan
12-06-2008, 04:06 PM

Dude, chill out. First of all, no one compared Jenks to "Solomen" Torres. Secondly, look at what Torres did for us last year. Apparently having a quality closer like Jenks isn't too big of a deal, considering Milwaukee did better than Chicago last year.

It's hilarious how much people overreact to the term overrated. I'm not saying Jenks is overrated, but you coming here and claiming he's a top 5 closer in the game only supports that label.

P.S. Next time you call someone out for a lack of knowldge, try putting it in a literate post.

Drawantz
12-06-2008, 04:10 PM

I really wish more people knew this, but Bud Selig doesn't own the Brewers, Mark Attanasio does. Our days of suffering through Bud and his $27 million payrolls ended four or five years ago.

jtrinaldi
12-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Get the hell off are boards:mad:

over on the sox forums they were asking for hardy or Yoga :confused:

brewersfan729
12-06-2008, 04:45 PM

That's nice. Selig hasn't owned the Brewers for years.

Madtown343
12-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Yea alot of # 1 starters are traded for closers... even if Jenks was the best closer in baseball (hes not) you would not even consider trading Yovani. I hate whenever a trade is mentioned, and we do this too, you look at their roster pick the player you would like the most and mention them in a potential swap. Any fan that would mention Gallardo's name in any trade, is simply uneducated.

jtrinaldi
12-06-2008, 05:47 PM
just check on the sox forum

brewersfan729
12-06-2008, 05:53 PM
I wouldn't trade anybody on the major league roster for Jenks. Why fill one hole when you just create another?

1-800-STFU
12-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Yea alot of # 1 starters are traded for closers... even if Jenks was the best closer in baseball (hes not) you would not even consider trading Yovani. I hate whenever a trade is mentioned, and we do this too, you look at their roster pick the player you would like the most and mention them in a potential swap. Any fan that would mention Gallardo's name in any trade, is simply uneducated.

I agree :shrug:

Gallardo is going nowhere

whitesox24/7
12-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Dude, chill out. First of all, no one compared Jenks to "Solomen" Torres. Secondly, look at what Torres did for us last year. Apparently having a quality closer like Jenks isn't too big of a deal, considering Milwaukee did better than Chicago last year.

It's hilarious how much people overreact to the term overrated. I'm not saying Jenks is overrated, but you coming here and claiming he's a top 5 closer in the game only supports that label.

P.S. Next time you call someone out for a lack of knowldge, try putting it in a literate post.

Okay, you're right, my bad. All I was trying to say is that you guys were not giving Jenks nearly enough credit. He has been incredibly consistant ever since he has been in the league. I mean he does have the record for the most consecutive batters retired of all time (41). He also has had 30 or more saves in the last 3 seasons. So, I do think he does deserve to at least be considered when discussing the top 5 best closers in the game. By the way, he is magnificent in big games, as he showed in '05. Sorry to come off like an *******, but it just pisses me off when fans from other cities look at Bobby Jenks as a mediocre closer, because if you have actually paid attention at all to his career, you would know he is far more than just an average closer (not directed to you)

P.S. Yeah quality closers are a big deal to us, he only helped contribute to a World Series ring for the Sox. Did Torres, or any closer in recent years, do that for you?

OC Knights #11
12-06-2008, 06:31 PM
I would be happy with getting Bobby Jenks. He is a good closer, but i wouldn't give up anyone important. Closers are over-rated, we could just plug someone in there like last season with Torres.

WI Sports Fan
12-06-2008, 07:00 PM
I wouldn't trade anybody on the major league roster for Jenks. Why fill one hole when you just create another?

:crazy:

P.S. Yeah quality closers are a big deal to us, he only helped contribute to a World Series ring for the Sox. Did Torres, or any closer in recent years, do that for you?

Well, prior to the past 2 years, it wouldn't have mattered who we had at closer, we had no shot at the post-season, let alone a World Series run. Last year we had Francisco Cordero who had a season as good as, if not better than, Jenks', and we didn't make the playoffs. This year we had a lesser closer and made it further.

Keep in mind Jenks wasn't even your closer in '05 until the final few weeks of the season. I just think you're valuing him a little much, and that's likely what would happen in a trade as well.

brewersfan729
12-06-2008, 07:09 PM
:crazy:

What's so crazy about that? Say we trade Parra for Jenks. All you're really doing is filling a bullpen hole and opening a rotation hole. Or you trade Hart for Jenks, filling a bullpen hole and opening up an outfield hole. It doesn't make sense.

1-800-STFU
12-06-2008, 07:28 PM
What's so crazy about that? Say we trade Parra for Jenks. All you're really doing is filling a bullpen hole and opening a rotation hole. Or you trade Hart for Jenks, filling a bullpen hole and opening up an outfield hole. It doesn't make sense.

Which is why all of this might be BS. I haven't heard any other info besides this bit I posted. Maybe a package of Jenks+Dye+Clayton Richard(MLB ready 4-5 starter) for Hart and Parra makes more sense. I duno what your GM is trying to do, win now or go younger, but this does make your team better in the short-term

brewersfan729
12-06-2008, 07:48 PM
I don't see us taking on all of that salary and I don't see us trading Parra. He's young, he's cheap and he throws hard. It would take an insane offer to trade him.

WI Sports Fan
12-06-2008, 08:20 PM
What's so crazy about that?

Not trading Tony Gwynn Jr., Dave Bush, Jeff Suppan, Seth McClung, Jorge Julio, David Riske, Mitch Stetter, Tim Dillard or Mike DiFelice for Bobby Jenks sounds pretty crazy to me.

brewersfan729
12-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Come on, you know what I meant. They're not going to accept the spare parts of our major league roster. They would want the talented players from our major league roster which we shouldn't part with.

CREW BACKER
12-06-2008, 10:10 PM
I really think this is all irrelavant. I don't think closers are worth any major league starter. That's not to say they are good or valuable to a team, but I get tired of hearing about how closers have a different mentality than other relievers. It's 3 outs, no matter what inning it is and I think it's crap that someone can say a pitcher can get 3 outs in the 6th, but not the ninth. If you can pitch, then pitch when you're needed, not in a specific inning. Jenks may be worth having on the team, but giving up any starter other than Weeks is ridiculous.

jtrinaldi
12-07-2008, 10:03 AM
or hall

WI Sports Fan
12-08-2008, 01:42 AM
I don't know why everyone is so set on Milwaukee giving up an MLB player/starter. All the rumors have pointed towards the ChiSox going into heavy rebuidling mode and this trade of Jermaine Dye only supports that. If the Brewers did trade for Jenks, they would be giving up prospects.

Edit: Looks like the Dye deal was false, but I still think CHW would be targetting youngsters/prospects.

Smithy04
12-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Jenks is a good CL and I would be willing to trade some decent players for him, but probably not too many of our starters even.