PDA

View Full Version : Blazers/Wolves Trade

FutureFilmmaker
11-29-2008, 02:47 PM
Blazers Receive: Mike Miller ($9 million/2 year contract) and Jason Collins ($6 million/1 year contract)

Wolves Receive: Raef LaFrentz ($12 million/1 year contract), Channing Frye ($3 million/1 year contract), and Ike Diogu ($2 million/1 year contract)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blazers Depth Chart

Oden - Pryzbilla - Randolph
Aldridge - Outlaw - Collins
Miller - Webster - Batum
Roy - Fernandez
Blake - Rodriguez - Bayless

Why Blazers do this

- solidify a playoff spot and possibly accomplish more during the playoffs
- acquire a veteran shooter who can take the load off of Oden
- add more depth to the team
- helps the team win now, at the same time keeping their financial strategy intact to re-sign their players

Why Wolves do this

- get out of Miller's two year deal by acquring up $18 million in expiring contracts
- sets them up for 2010 free agency
- get young players in Diogu and Frye who can provide quality minutes

GregOden#1
11-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Um doesn't Mike Miller expire for 2010? So arent the Wolves not doing anything for their capspace?

Either way I say no.

lakers4sho
11-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Outlaw at PF??

:laugh:

blackjack_119
11-29-2008, 04:56 PM
Outlaw at PF??

:laugh:

He played PF almost exclusively last season (Martell Webster and James Jones took up most of the minutes at SF) Obviously Outlaw is not a traditional PF with a back-to-the-basket game but he is such a mismatch with the other team's backup PF that the opponents usually end up playing small to try and match.

When teams try to guard Outlaw with a PF, he torches them. The same would be said if a PF went against Outlaw in the paint, but Joel Przybilla's help defense makes the mismatch less exploitable than on the other end.

blackjack_119
11-29-2008, 05:13 PM
duplicate post

A.Mopp
11-29-2008, 05:34 PM
I would do that trade. Outlaw works great as a backup PF and Miller wold be a great three point threat that we lost when James Jones.

Done deal in my book.

GregOden#1
11-29-2008, 05:39 PM
This deal doesn't help at all. We have enough shooters, we need a low post banger at PF or a good veteran shooter/defender at PG, not a swingman (we have like 5 already). The Blazers dont need to be an even more jumpshoot happy team. This trade really makes no sense.

brandonwarne52
11-29-2008, 05:40 PM
The Wolves want to have Mike Miller around, actually.

Ansy
11-29-2008, 08:27 PM
It's a good value trade for us and would be nearly impossible to turn down. But we'd have to do something about this logjam at small forward if we took this deal. Batum and Outlaw are already going to see their minutes cut with the return of Webster. This would shut Batum out of our rotation entirely, save for garbage minutes.

I've enjoyed seeing Batum develop and I think he could be a stud someday -- a championship cog, like Posey and Prince. I'd hate to see him cut out of the roster altogether.

I'm not sure if Minny would want to do this anyway. As a small market without title contention they're pretty much out of the running for guys like LeBron, Wade, Bosh, etc. Maybe they could land a slightly lesser guy like Joe Johnson, who would put them firmly in the playoff hunt.

Tblaze
11-29-2008, 08:59 PM
This deal doesn't help at all. We have enough shooters, we need a low post banger at PF or a good veteran shooter/defender at PG, not a swingman (we have like 5 already). The Blazers dont need to be an even more jumpshoot happy team. This trade really makes no sense.

I have to agree, basicly we're giving up all of our depth at the PF, and add another good player to our already logjammed sf spot :S

jnb58
11-29-2008, 09:54 PM
I don't think Miller is an upgrade at all.

Outlaw could play the 4.

The Blazers have a better chance of getting a star through a trade than they do signing one.