PDA

View Full Version : Brewers GM: Yankees 'overbidding' for Sabathia

Run Gardner Run
11-16-2008, 11:06 AM
The New York Yankees' initial bid for CC Sabathia reportedly is in a different stratosphere than the Brewers' first offer, and Milwaukee general manager Bob Melvin said he doesn't really understand the logic behind it.

According to media reports, the Yankees offered Sabathia approximately $140 million over six years. The Brewers, in contrast, have reportedly offered Sabathia $100 million over five seasons.

"It sounds like they're overbidding," Melvin told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "If the speculation is true that we've offered CC $100 million, why would you offer $140 million? Why wouldn't you offer $110 million?"

Are the Brewers willing to compete with the Yankees' reported record offer?

"I don't want to respond to that," Melvin told the Journal Sentinel. "It's up to the player to go where the money is."

Yankees co-chairman Hank Steinbrenner confirmed Friday night at the team's spring training complex in Tampa, Fla., that an offer was made to Sabathia, and that proposals will be forthcoming for pitchers A.J. Burnett and Derek Lowe.

"[The Yankees] have been pretty adamant about bidding on everybody. That doesn't mean that's what the market is. That's just one team's offer. Until all the bids are on the table, I don't know what the market is," Melvin told the newspaper.

Melvin told the Journal Sentinel that he will check with Sabathia's camp by the middle of this week to see if the Brewers still have a chance to retain their ace, who was acquired at the trading deadline from the Cleveland Indians and helped Milwaukee win the NL wild card.

"I'll ask them where we're at [in the bidding], if we have a chance or should we move on," Melvin told the newspaper. "I need to know. We don't want this to drag on.

"They won't tell me what the other offers are. They'll just say, 'We've got an extra year [from another bidder] or more money.' They'll let you know if the other offers are substantially more or a little more.

"We're not going to negotiate until we know where we stand," Melvin told the newspaper.

The New York Mets' Johan Santana has the highest contract ever given to a pitcher when he signed a six-year, $137.5 million deal after his trade from the Minnesota Twins last offseason.

Source (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3706123)

Sounds like Melvin is pissed

OC Knights #11
11-16-2008, 12:17 PM
nothing the brewers can do. Sounds like Melvin is a little jealous.

Brooke
11-16-2008, 12:39 PM
I think we all knew the Yankees were going to make a offer to him like that

There is nothing he/the Brewers can do, it is up to CC

BaRRySandAmaN
11-16-2008, 12:52 PM
This falls all onto the Big guys shoulders. I hope his passion for hitting outweighs his pocket book but for some reason I hgihly doubt that. I think Melvin is more confused about why the Yanks would throw out so much more then the Brew crews offer. I would love to see CC take the less money and stick it to the Yanks but I dont see that happening.

Every real Baseball fan knows the Yankees once again are looking to buy a championship and Hank knows it has to start with pitching.

wwfd1220
11-16-2008, 11:24 PM
This falls all onto the Big guys shoulders. I hope his passion for hitting outweighs his pocket book but for some reason I hgihly doubt that. I think Melvin is more confused about why the Yanks would throw out so much more then the Brew crews offer. I would love to see CC take the less money and stick it to the Yanks but I dont see that happening.

Every real Baseball fan knows the Yankees once again are looking to buy a championship and Hank knows it has to start with pitching.

this is what bothers me about mlb. maybe if i was not a fan of a small market team it would not bother me. but, it seems this is the way these things always go. a good pitcher develops or position player for that matter. and either the yanks,dodgers,angels,or mets throw an assload of money at them and way overpay because they can. and it totally takes small market teams right out of the competition. just totally ****ing blows and i hate it.

crewfan13
11-17-2008, 02:18 AM
i'll agree that it sucks when the yanks throw piles of moey at players, but then it makes it all the more fun when the homegrown small market teams win championships instead of the yanks

packerfan4321
11-17-2008, 02:50 AM

Well first no one will pass up 40 some million. Second, the Players Union wouldnt allow him to do it. Every other FA pitcher is banking on CC signing the largest deal ever. The Union will pressure him into taking the best deal out there, unless its over a few million.

yankeefan78
11-17-2008, 11:03 AM
brewers gm said they were overbidding but if you see what the money is each year, its not much different. 5 years 20 million a year and the yankees 6 years just over 23 million a year not much of a difference.

EdTheRevelator
11-17-2008, 07:09 PM
CC in New York will be another colossal bust for the Yankees. He's going to hate the pressure, and he's probably going to have arm problems in a couple of years anyways. I really hope the big guy doesn't go there, but who knows.

And Melvin needs to stop whining. It's the nature of the game right now, until some form of workable revenue sharing is implemented.

BigDiazDizzle
11-17-2008, 11:45 PM
Why offer $140 Mil and not something like $120? because the yankees can afford it :mad:

I wonder if these comments will hurt our chances with C.C. Maybe the comments came off the wrong way to him, you know he may think that we don't value him as much as the yankees...which is totally untrue it's just that we can't afford to give him that much. I'm sure it's not the case, just saying.

Duddy415
11-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Why offer $140 Mil and not something like $120? because the yankees can afford it :mad:

I wonder if these comments will hurt our chances with C.C. Maybe the comments came off the wrong way to him, you know he may think that we don't value him as much as the yankees...which is totally untrue it's just that we can't afford to give him that much. I'm sure it's not the case, just saying.

A player like CC will generate a team about 15 million dollars a revenue a year if that, CC is not worth 23 million in the business sense of it, the Steinbrenners are just ****ing crazy

Duddy415
11-18-2008, 10:32 AM
CC in New York will be another colossal bust for the Yankees. He's going to hate the pressure, and he's probably going to have arm problems in a couple of years anyways. I really hope the big guy doesn't go there, but who knows.

And Melvin needs to stop whining. It's the nature of the game right now, until some form of workable revenue sharing is implemented.

Hes just telling it like it is, hes not whining, if teams like the yankes keep breaking new records in pay checks to bring players in its just going to keep driving up the salary of all the other mediocore players, and young prospects, Revenue isnt increasing believe me, How far a budget goes for a small market team keeps shrinking and shrinking. So being the GM of a small market team i dont blame him.

hotpotato1092
11-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Well first no one will pass up 40 some million. Second, the Players Union wouldnt allow him to do it. Every other FA pitcher is banking on CC signing the largest deal ever. The Union will pressure him into taking the best deal out there, unless its over a few million.

The union can't force him to do anything. Besides, pitchers can already use Santana as Precedent for giant deals, they don't need CC. I think he'll take the deal and it's a shame, he loved being a brewer and the brewers and their fans loved him. He's gonna regret it when he gets shelled by Boston in a friday night game in september and he's bombarded with "was he worth it?" questions, but I think we all know he's taking it. I'm a mets fan so I don't really know what it's like to lose a player like this, but I will say that the brewers definately still have a bright future. The two first rounders they get for CC and the two they get for Ben Sheets will be huge for them, along with Prince, Braun and the rest of the position players, this team will be competitive for a while.

Madtown343
11-18-2008, 01:14 PM
I have heard from other forum's (not the most reliable source) that the Brewers would be willing to slightly increase the offer as long as they didnt have to increase the years. Its an interesting problem because we really are taking an enormous risk if we do get CC, but how else do you suggest competing with the Cubs next season if our rotation looses its two biggest names. I also would like to hear something on what the interest has been towards Ben Sheets thus far.

Martz
11-18-2008, 01:17 PM
As if no one saw this coming? Come on...it's the Yankees. All of us know what they should've done (just boost the brewers offer a little,) But it's the yankees. Classless to the last.

Madtown343
11-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Yea i am a little surprised I have heard nothing on the Sheets front. He still is a stud and wow it would be nice if we had him back at a discount.

Brew Crew
11-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Sheets was really lining up for a big payday but with the injury coming at the end of the season is going to make people shy away and not offer something similar to the offer the Indians made to CC, 4 years $80 mil.

Either a year at around $10 million or 2 years $25 million would satisfy me if they would like to keep Sheets around. I'm sure he's looking for 4 or 5 years but he's not going to easily get it with the kind of money he wants. The only teams I have heard any interest from are the Astros and Rangers. Maybe the Braves would enter in but they have had enough of a history with fragile pitchers in Hudson and Hampton.

Someone always turns up desperate enough to give out a 3-4 year deal though.

These days average guys like Jeremey Affeldt get $4 million a year. This doesn't really have anything to do with Sheets, but pitchers are really having their way in the league now.

Madtown343
11-18-2008, 04:29 PM
At what point to do we realize maybe the price on Sheets has gone low enough that we should offer something to keep the conversation open. If we lose CC but retain Sheets we go into next season with a better rotation than we did this year. Gallardo and Parra more expierenced, Bush more confidence, and Suppan as our clear 5th starter. I could live with that rotation and some housekeeping in the lineup to help the offense generate more runs not via the homerun ball.

hotpotato1092
11-19-2008, 10:50 AM
They should trade for Garrett Atkins. Solid #5 hitter behind Prince and Braun. If the Price isn't too high I'd go for it. They should up their offer for CC though, they could retain him at 6 x 120 I think. He'd definately like to be the guy who turned down the money and made the right decision to give the small market team a chance. He'd be a hero in Milwaukee and all of Wisconsin, he'd be as big as Brett Favre was.

Greenngld
11-19-2008, 11:02 PM
There is a good reason the Yankees offered so much more then the Brewers. It was to scare other teams off and to not take the chance of losing CC to a Cali team. The numbers for the contract were leaked right after the offer was made. Do you think that was an accident? The Yankees wanted those numbers out, and to say to the other teams...don't even bother.

The Yankees aren't the only team to overbid anyway, so did the Brewers. 25% of the payroll is way to much for a small market team. No doubt we saw a lights out CC, but remember his career era is 3.66 and he has had 4 seasons over 4.00. He also never put up CGs like he did in 2008.

I'd love to have CC back, but not at that price, and certainly not more. DM offered the top dollar he could. If we go higher, it is because MA is pissed about the Yankees.