PDA

View Full Version : Atkins

Duddy415
11-11-2008, 04:16 PM
If the rockies are looking to trade Atkins the brewers should be the first in line to try to aquire him, the rockies are going young and we should try to trade Weeks and a prospect to the rockies for Garrett Atkins, hes a career
.298 hitter and has put up huge numbers the past few seasons. Our infield would then be

1B Fielder
2B Escobar/Hardy
ss Hardy/Escopar
3B Atkins

Ive been hearing alot about hardy or escobar at third and i love it defensively but i dont see big enough power numbers coming out of a corner if that occurs. you have to get big power numbers out of your corner positions. what do you guys think

brewersfan729
11-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Bad defensively and a career .260/.328/.424/.752 hitter away from Coors. Easy pass.

long ball
11-11-2008, 11:55 PM
Probably a better option than Bill Hall but there are better options. For what they would have to give up it's not worth it.

Duddy415
11-12-2008, 02:16 AM
your going to make an argument by giving me his batting average in a specific stadium, I mean if your going to make a good point that sure the hell isnt it. thats like saying hes a career 200 hitter after the seventh inning on tuesdays in july. Give me a break. last year he hit .286 21hr 99RBI and its the first time in the last 3 years hes hit under .300 and under 110 RBI.

And he is not bad defensively he has ok range and has been improving drastically over his last three seasons

year errors
2006 19
2007 13
2008 9

brewersfan729
11-12-2008, 02:43 AM
your going to make an argument by giving me his batting average in a specific stadium, I mean if your going to make a good point that sure the hell isnt it. thats like saying hes a career 200 hitter after the seventh inning on tuesdays in july. Give me a break. last year he hit .286 21hr 99RBI and its the first time in the last 3 years hes hit under .300 and under 110 RBI.

And he is not bad defensively he has ok range and has been improving drastically over his last three seasons

year errors
2006 19
2007 13
2008 9

Coors Field has a huge outfield so it does make a difference in batting average and the thin air has an effect on the power numbers (although the humidor evens it out some.) Just like I like looking at the away numbers from hitters at Petco Park because that is an extreme pitchers park.

There is no doubt in my mind that he will be closer to the .260/.328/.424/.752 player that he has been away from Coors if he gets traded.

Also, errors are a terrible way to judge defense for the one millionth time.

If a player has 100 balls hit to them on the ground, gets to 80 of them and records all 80 for outs, then he won't have any errors. If another player has 100 balls hit to them on the ground the same place the other player does, gets to 95 of them and records outs on 93 of them then he's going to get charged with two errors. His fielding percentage will be worse, but he's the better defender because he converts more plays into outs.

Last year Atkins was -11 at third base. That's tied for fifth worst in the majors. The last three years he's -42, second worst in the majors behind Edwin Encarnacion.

BaRRySandAmaN
11-12-2008, 02:26 PM
I would pass on Atkins, Also I know Rickie Weeks has been a disappointment but I would like to see what Willie Randolph does with him before we go shipping him off. I guess Im still stuck on that Potential thing...:crazy:

Duddy415
11-13-2008, 12:14 AM
Hardy's power is sufficent to make up for a lapse of it at third if he were to stay at short or move to second. This team doesn't need more power hitters they need guys that can get on base consistently more than anything. If they're going to go with Escobar they really only need to fill second or third with a guy that can get on base depending on where Hardy and Escobar play. I hope Kapler is back to back up the outfield but they still need to find another guy as insurance.

Hardy does not have enough production for a third baseman at all!!! and i know we dont need power we need guys on base atkins is a .300 hitter.

he guys break down to much stupid **** Atkins is a straight up ball player, and hesa GOOD ONE. i would rather have him then bill hall or weeks and hes affordable and it wouldnt take alot to get him, yeah he has his flaws but what do you expect ARod

brewersfan729
11-13-2008, 12:39 AM
Hardy does not have enough production for a third baseman at all!!!

Yes he does. It's not as good as it is at SS, but it's fine for 3B.

we need guys on base atkins is a .300 hitter.

With the help of Coors.

he guys break down to much stupid **** Atkins is a straight up ball player, and hesa GOOD ONE. i would rather have him then bill hall or weeks and hes affordable

Now you go on a nonsensical rant because you have no argument.

Duddy415
11-13-2008, 01:52 PM

Yes it is fine for 3B, but you want more. Up the middle defense would be unbelievable with Hardy and Escobar.

With the help of Coors.

This is what i like to call not having an argument, bats over .300 in 11 and over .400 in a few stadiums other than coors field and hes only played in 23 stadiums. most of the others are mid to high .200s with a few bad ones mixed in. This guy is a good ball player and he plays every infield positon but ss.

You really think you know more than everyone else on this website, i stated my argument, just because you disagree doesnt mean that i dont have an argument.

Duddy415
11-13-2008, 02:04 PM

With the help of Coors.

With the help of coors??(this is what i call having no argument)

What a joke! over the past three years hes hit over .300 in 11 MLB stadiums and over .400 in a few the rest are mid range .200 with a few bad ones mixed in. And hes only played in 24 MLB stadiums. This guy is a ballplayer! he plays every infield position except SS so you can move him around as well.

a production for average swap at third would be great for the Brewers. JJs career .270 ba. thats not worth swapping for.

favre_4life
11-14-2008, 01:35 PM
no thanks. Another bad defensive 3rd baseman

Brew Crew
11-14-2008, 04:03 PM

With the help of Coors.

:laugh2: Sorry, but the last one is funny.

WI Sports Fan
11-15-2008, 12:53 AM
With the help of coors??(this is what i call having no argument)

What a joke! over the past three years hes hit over .300 in 11 MLB stadiums and over .400 in a few the rest are mid range .200 with a few bad ones mixed in. And hes only played in 24 MLB stadiums. This guy is a ballplayer! he plays every infield position except SS so you can move him around as well.

a production for average swap at third would be great for the Brewers. JJs career .270 ba. thats not worth swapping for.

I rarely agree with BrewersFan729; but he's right. Atkins is not a very good hitter away from Coors, and he's an average at best fielder to boot.

You're failing to recognize sample size in your argument. Anyone can have a good series and hit over .300 in any park, but collectively, Atkins has hit significantly worse on the road than he has at home. That's something that has occured every season as well, which creates a trend.

For example, Atkins hit .417 at Miller Park this year. Last year, he hit .083. The point is, you can't just say he's a .300+ hitter in 11/24 parks, because he doesn't have nearly a big enough sample size in most of those parks to make such a statement.

Would Atkins be an upgrade? Most likely, but he's not worth what we would have to give up. A lot of teams have been showing interest in him, putting Colorado in the driver's seat.

Duddy415
11-19-2008, 12:06 PM
I rarely agree with BrewersFan729; but he's right. Atkins is not a very good hitter away from Coors, and he's an average at best fielder to boot.

You're failing to recognize sample size in your argument. Anyone can have a good series and hit over .300 in any park, but collectively, Atkins has hit significantly worse on the road than he has at home. That's something that has occured every season as well, which creates a trend.

For example, Atkins hit .417 at Miller Park this year. Last year, he hit .083. The point is, you can't just say he's a .300+ hitter in 11/24 parks, because he doesn't have nearly a big enough sample size in most of those parks to make such a statement.

Would Atkins be an upgrade? Most likely, but he's not worth what we would have to give up. A lot of teams have been showing interest in him, putting Colorado in the driver's seat.

Thats why i didnt go by last year, i went by the past three years. how long has atkins been an every day starter? three years!!!

You say he cant hit away from coors, Bill Hall cant hit anywhere! and bill hall makes more money. I wonder how many of you actually watch these guys play ball, and how many of you just run over to the ESPNs website and look up a bunch of numbers.

Just like all of you guys that are so high on escobar when really how much did you see him play? them few games with the brewes at the end of last season is all! you were all just as excited for weeks coming up and now look at what he is.

There is a ton of guys that dont hit good on the road, you can look at our very own team for a perfect example of that. Go to the standings and see how many teams had winning records on the road.

brewersfan729
11-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Thats why i didnt go by last year, i went by the past three years. how long has atkins been an every day starter? three years!!!

Four years.

You say he cant hit away from coors, Bill Hall cant hit anywhere! and bill hall makes more money.

Hall also plays much better defense. That counts you know.

I wonder how many of you actually watch these guys play ball, and how many of you just run over to the ESPNs website and look up a bunch of numbers.

I've seen him play plenty.

Just like all of you guys that are so high on escobar when really how much did you see him play? them few games with the brewes at the end of last season is all!

Wrong.

you were all just as excited for weeks coming up and now look at what he is.

Your point is what here?

There is a ton of guys that dont hit good on the road, you can look at our very own team for a perfect example of that.

Yes, most players hit better at home. However look at Atkins' splits.

2005:
Home - .903 OPS
Away - .649 OPS

2006:
Home - .999 OPS
Away - .933 OPS

2007:
Home - .937 OPS
Away - .773 OPS

2008:
Home - .904 OPS
Away - .661 OPS

Those are huge splits (except 2006) that you can't just throw out the window and say "well most players hit better at home." There's definitely a reason that his splits are that big and it's because of Coors.