PDA

View Full Version : Brewers to make formal offer to CC today

Wrigleyboy25
10-31-2008, 04:20 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081030&content_id=3656200&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnerId=rss_mlb

packerfan4321
10-31-2008, 05:35 PM
Any idea of when the details will be coming out? Could it really be another 2 weeks??

blueandteal
10-31-2008, 07:19 PM
CC's not just going to sign on the spot. He'll obviously weigh other offers as well. I hope Milwaukee gets him though.. I really don't want to see him land in one of the mega markets.

Brooke
10-31-2008, 08:02 PM
Sheets is getting an offer too. Melvin is making some offers before heading to the GM meetings and then will meet with the agents there.

He is? I wasnt sure if they were going to make him a offer or not

I am hoping the Brewers keep CC but I am not getting my hopes up just in case he doesnt

Brooke
11-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Yeah its in the article. Wouldn't it be quite a situation if they both would sign.

Yes it would be but I know the chances of it are highly unlikely

PackCrewBuckBad
11-02-2008, 12:14 AM
CC filed FA

jiggin
11-02-2008, 06:26 AM
CC filed FA

just a formality. they all have to officially "file". Here is an interesting blurb but written before he filed:

C.C. Sabathia has not yet filed for free agency yet and has until Nov. 13 to take care of what basically is a paperwork formality for him. The Milwaukee Brewers have an exclusive negotiating window with him until Nov.14, when Sabathia can begin to talk contract terms with other teams. Milwaukee seems eager to try to take advantage of its window - the AP quoted Brewers GM Doug Melvin Friday as saying, "We’re prepared to do something with him here very shortly. He’ll probably be getting ready to file for free agency but I don’t expect an answer real soon. "He’s not going to be a guy who is going to have 27 phone calls. He’s only going to get five," Melvin added. "If he’s going to demand the money he’s going to demand, he’ll get a lot less phone calls than maybe even Ray Durham or somebody like that that we have."

http://www.tradeheadlines.com

Smithy04
11-02-2008, 10:26 AM
I heard the CC deal was 4 years for about $105 million. Hopefully he stays with us. I think he probably will in the end.

Smithy04
11-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Maybe Sheets will realize in free agency that he's not going to get the big money anymore because he's too much of an injury risk. Maybe he will decide to take a little less money to stay with us. I'd still rather have CC though.

ifhmondays
11-03-2008, 12:43 AM
I heard the CC deal was 4 years for about $105 million. Hopefully he stays with us. I think he probably will in the end.

i heard 4 years 110 million either way it could be likely would like to trade prince for say tim lincecom or peavy but that would happen so hopefully cc will sign, but even if he does and sheets doesn't i think we still need another pitcher.

Brooke
11-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Maybe Sheets will realize in free agency that he's not going to get the big money anymore because he's too much of an injury risk. Maybe he will decide to take a little less money to stay with us. I'd still rather have CC though.

Well him being hurt at the end of the season in 2 important games where could have shown he is a big game pitcher hurt his cause a bit

I am sure some team will make him a offer, when healthy he is one of the best but the question would be: Would you take the risk?

Madtown343
11-03-2008, 01:31 PM
I heard 5 years 100Mil, which is a great offer... but CC wouldnt take the 4 year 80 mil deal from Cleveland last season ( I think that is what it was) so why would he take a 5 year at 20 mil when he probobly will be getting an offer from NY that will be 6 and close to 150 mil.

Martz
11-03-2008, 01:53 PM
I heard 5 years 100Mil, which is a great offer... but CC wouldnt take the 4 year 80 mil deal from Cleveland last season ( I think that is what it was) so why would he take a 5 year at 20 mil when he probobly will be getting an offer from NY that will be 6 and close to 150 mil.

He didn't take that offer because he wanted more years. If the crew is offering an extra year, that might be the clincher.

APmvp28
11-03-2008, 02:12 PM
I am afraid this situation is going to drag out longer than any of us want it too. The damn yankees will offer him all the money in the world. If he goes to NY i will be so devistated, i hate the yanks and everything about them and their unlimited spending, its not fair!!!!

Madtown343
11-03-2008, 06:29 PM
No because he would completely shock the baseball world. Reggie White was not at the prime of his career and his "best" years were in fact behind him. He was over 30 years old and in football that means alot more than CC being in his late 20's. If Sabbathia signs with us and turns down possibly some 50 million dollars he would be looked at as a small market hero or sorts... would be fricken awesome!

However if you mean changing the clubhouse, getting a chmpionship attitude and possibly delivering a world series to the Brewers then possibly yes... especially if Braun can be White's Brett Favre.

jiggin
11-03-2008, 08:17 PM
have to think the contract would be extremely back loaded in order to be able to make other pressing moves this off-season. That may really hinder the club going forward, especially if its a pujols type deal that is not only back loaded but has money deferred over 10 years...meaning he is being paid by the club even after he moves on or retires.

I know the brewers system is pretty stacked, but back loaded mega deals are what even out things over the next couple years. What I mean by that is by the time the contract is completely paid off, the club has gone through most of their brilliant farm system and those players are now arbitration eligible and ready for a big raise. Most of the time, with most clubs, this doesn't end with great results unless the payroll is significantly increased at the tail end of that mega deal.

Smithy04
11-03-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm very happy to hear that they offered to CC and I can't wait to see the details of the deal now.

APmvp28
11-04-2008, 12:16 PM
If CC remains in Mil, this will only help attract other talent, unfortunately we dont have the money to bring in much other talent. I would be shocked if our payroll is near 90 million. I know Mark A is not afraid to spend it. I hope he does, but i dont see it happening

long ball
11-04-2008, 01:32 PM
If CC remains in Mil, this will only help attract other talent, unfortunately we dont have the money to bring in much other talent. I would be shocked if our payroll is near 90 million. I know Mark A is not afraid to spend it. I hope he does, but i dont see it happening

They have already projected the payroll to be between 80-90 mil. The payroll was over 90 mil last year.

Brew Crew
11-04-2008, 01:36 PM
They have already projected the payroll to be between 80-90 mil. The payroll was over 90 mil last year.

Yeah, and if our fan base continues to grow to out of state fans, and we keep packing the stadium, selling apparel, there should be at the least a steady increase of payroll year to year.

Martz
11-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Set up a player salary donation jar at the concession stands and throughout the stadium. I bet they raise quite a bit of money.

Interesting idea. I'd pay my extra dollar i get back in change for that.

ifhmondays
11-05-2008, 01:45 PM
$147 million offer to pitcher CC Sabathia
Article from: Herald Sun

November 05, 2008 06:54am

A BIDDING war has started for US baseball pitcher CC Sabathia - and the opening offer is about $147 million.
It came from his current Major League Baseball club, Milwaukee Brewers, who want to keep the 28-year-old left-hander.

Sabathia - full names Carsten Charles - became a free agent at the weekend after helping the Brewers reach the playoffs for the first time since 1982.

The Brewers, who have exclusive negotiating rights with Sabathia until November 13, would only say their offer is in the "neighbourhood of $100 million ($147 million)".

"We're negotiating," said Brewers general manager Doug Melvin, who would not reveal the length of the proposed contract.

"It's not my responsibility to tell all the other teams what we're offering. There's no benefit to me to do that.

"We said that we've given him a proposal, and there won't be any other comments on length, dollars, anything."

The Brewers were beaten by eventual World Series champion Philadelphia in the first round of the National League playoffs.

Sabathia, last year's Cy Young award winner as the top pitcher in the American League, has a career record of 117-73 over eight seasons.

- AFP

EC Raider
11-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Wow. It is just amazing as a Brewer fan that they are putting big money out there. Nice to see they are not acting like a true small market team. They can't compete with NY player for player, but inking a pitcher will be huge, even if it isn't CC.

Madtown343
11-05-2008, 02:14 PM
I would like to see who is this papers source that revealed that the Brewers went up to 147 million? First off... i find it close to impossible to believe we exceeded Santana's contract, and I also am pissed if this is our offer and we just let teams see what they have to beat.

Did we really offer 147 mill over say 6 years? (24.2 a year... thats Arod like)

EC Raider
11-05-2008, 02:17 PM
I never thought I would see the day they offered someone a $20 million/year contract to begin with. I am curious about the particulars and am a bit sceptical as well though.

Madtown343
11-05-2008, 02:23 PM
I looked at the site "herald sun" it doesnt seem like a complete joke of a website... It is just going to be interesting to see if we really made an offer that rich... against what so many Brewers fans firmly believe being possible (myself included). If 147mil is in fact our offer, odd that it says about 147... and not about 150. That could mean we added a 7th year to try to sweeten the deal that way as well.

brewersfan729
11-05-2008, 02:50 PM
$147 million offer to pitcher CC Sabathia
Article from: Herald Sun

November 05, 2008 06:54am

A BIDDING war has started for US baseball pitcher CC Sabathia - and the opening offer is about $147 million.
It came from his current Major League Baseball club, Milwaukee Brewers, who want to keep the 28-year-old left-hander.

Sabathia - full names Carsten Charles - became a free agent at the weekend after helping the Brewers reach the playoffs for the first time since 1982.

The Brewers, who have exclusive negotiating rights with Sabathia until November 13, would only say their offer is in the "neighbourhood of $100 million ($147 million)".

"We're negotiating," said Brewers general manager Doug Melvin, who would not reveal the length of the proposed contract.

"It's not my responsibility to tell all the other teams what we're offering. There's no benefit to me to do that.

"We said that we've given him a proposal, and there won't be any other comments on length, dollars, anything."

The Brewers were beaten by eventual World Series champion Philadelphia in the first round of the National League playoffs.

Sabathia, last year's Cy Young award winner as the top pitcher in the American League, has a career record of 117-73 over eight seasons.

- AFP

That's an Australian paper. It still says the offer is $100 million, $147 million in Australia.

packerfan4321
11-15-2008, 02:27 AM
"Steinbrenner: Yanks make offer to CC Sabathia

Print By RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer Ronald Blum, Ap Baseball Writer – Fri Nov 14, 9:53 pm ET AP – In this Sept. 28, 2008 file photo, Milwaukee Brewers starting pitcher CC Sabathia throws during the fifth … NEW YORK – Joe Girardi said this week he'd enjoy showing free agents around the new Yankee Stadium. CC Sabathia is one of the players the New York manager has in mind for a tour of the spacious clubhouse, players lounge, indoor batting cage and underground hot tub.

Free-agent season opened Friday with the Yankees planning to give Sabathia a record offer for a pitcher.

Yankees co-chairman Hank Steinbrenner confirmed Friday night at the team's spring training complex in Tampa, Fla., that an offer was made to Sabathia, and that proposals will be forthcoming for pitchers A.J. Burnett and Derek Lowe.

"Yes," Steinbrenner said when asked if an offer was made to Sabathia. "And we're prepared to make offers to Burnett and Lowe."

The Yankees formulated a proposal to the big lefty that would exceed Johan Santana's $137.5 million, six-year contract with the New York Mets both in total and average, a baseball official familiar with the negotiations said. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to divulge details.

Steinbrenner declined to give details about the Sabathia offer."

Kinda of sucks, but a long time coming...

wwfd1220
11-15-2008, 06:33 PM
man i wish baseball had a salary cap. wouldnt it makes sense to have salary cap in baseball ? it would even the playing field a little i would think. seems like small market teams have zero chance of putting a quality roster together.

Brewfan
11-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Anybody think Melvin's comments in the Journal Sentinel today were intriguing? He said that assuming his offer was $100 million and the Yankees offer is $140 million, that they'd be over-bidding themselves because there's no reason to go that high, that quickly. Struck me as weird.

Regarding a salary cap - it's never going to happen. The Players Association would never agree to the potential for lower salaries in a bargaining agreement. And the big vs. small market argument doesn't hold up. Rays were in the series. Brewers were in the playoffs. Twins were almost in the playoffs. Tigers and Mariners were in the toilet.

Drawantz
11-15-2008, 07:39 PM
Anybody think Melvin's comments in the Journal Sentinel today were intriguing? He said that assuming his offer was $100 million and the Yankees offer is $140 million, that they'd be over-bidding themselves because there's no reason to go that high, that quickly. Struck me as weird.

Regarding a salary cap - it's never going to happen. The Players Association would never agree to the potential for lower salaries in a bargaining agreement. And the big vs. small market argument doesn't hold up. Rays were in the series. Brewers were in the playoffs. Twins were almost in the playoffs. Tigers and Mariners were in the toilet.

C'mon, are you telling me a team with an 100 million dollar payroll has the same liklihood of success as a team with a 50 million dollar payroll?

Brewfan
11-15-2008, 07:53 PM
C'mon, are you telling me a team with an 100 million dollar payroll has the same liklihood of success as a team with a 50 million dollar payroll?

Of course not. Teams that have the resources to throw money at players do have an advantage. But, that's not to say that they have THE advantage. All teams have the ability to make intelligent free agent signings, make solid draft picks and make a serious commitment to player development. I'm not saying that money isn't an advantage, but so is a good front office.