PDA

View Full Version : Brewer's Are Listening to Offers for...

Brew Crew
10-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Prince Fielder...No surprise, but we're getting it from a hometown source now...

Brewers general manager Doug Melvin never talks about players on his team that he is willing to trade but I've heard whispers around the club for some time that he'd be willing to listen to offers this winter for first baseman Prince Fielder.

According to the New York Post, the Brewers have put out word to other clubs that they would listen to offers for Fielder for a "substantial package." The Post cites an "industry source" which probably means someone with the Yankees because the story goes on to explain why that club would not be interested in trading for Fielder.

Here's link to that story:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10262008/sports/moresports/brewers_mull_deal_of_fielder_135325.htm

This story makes sense for several reasons:

1. Fielder is going to get a huge pay raise this winter in his first year of arbitration, from a salary of $670,000 to perhaps $6 million to $8 million. His agent is Scott Boras, a tough negotiator, and Fielder already turned down a five-year, $60 million offer earlier this year from the Brewers.

2. Fielder's offensive numbers dipped in 2008 but it was his regression in the field that really worried club officials. He committed 17 errors, second-most among NL first baseman.

3. Fielder's weight was noticeably up this year from 2007, another source of concern among club officials.

4. The Brewers probably will have to find replacements for starting pitchers CC Sabathia and Ben Sheets, who are expected to leave through free agency. To get a top-notch starting pitcher these days, you have to give up a lot.

This does not mean the Brewers are going to trade Fielder. He is one of their top hitters and their only real left-handed threat in a predominantly right-handed lineup. It just means they would listen to offers. You've got to listen to offers for just about anybody, especially for the reasons listed above.

It'll be interesting to see if there are any substantial talks involving Fielder this winter or if it only gets to the "listening" stage.

long ball
10-27-2008, 12:01 PM
Prince Fielder...No surprise, but we're getting it from a hometown source now...
TH was just posting an article he found and he explains why it would make sense. The only untouchables the Brewers have are Braun and Gallardo

4d32petersc
10-27-2008, 02:38 PM
Prince is our only left handed bat and we have prince for 2 more years. Keep him this year and trade him next year when Gamel is ready to play first... Unless we get an offer we can't refuse.

brewersfan729
10-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Prince is our only left handed bat (Mike Cameron doesn't count as a bat)

He doesn't count as left handed either since he bats right handed.

long ball
10-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Prince is our only left handed bat (Mike Cameron doesn't count as a bat) and we have prince for 2 more years. Keep him this year and trade him next year when Gamel is ready to play first... Unless we get an offer we can't refuse.

Cameron is right handed. And last time I checked 25 home runs and 70 rbis while missing 25 games to start the year is worth something.

Martz
10-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Cameron is right handed. And last time I checked 25 home runs and 70 rbis while missing 25 games to start the year is worth something.

Cameron definetly showed his worth towards the end of the season. His option though might be a little too much.

Drawantz
10-27-2008, 08:21 PM
This team's priority offensively should be to try and add at least one leadoff type hitter and one extra (maybe two) everyday or platoon left-handed hitters. To trade Fielder, the only left handed hitter in the lineup, is tough to swallow, despite his contract situation. The easiest spots for us to insert left-handed or leadoff type hitters into our lineup are 2B, 3B, and CF. With Bill Hall's contract making him basically untradeable and Rickie Weeks' value being as low as it is, I think it is necessary for us to look for a CF that fits our team better despite what Mike cameron brings to the team.

Brew Crew
10-28-2008, 08:54 AM
I still would like to see Cameron back but not on the option. I don't know if that would work out. He would probably bolt to the Yankees since they have interest in him.

The Brewer's will resign him if they want CC to stick around. I guess those two are really good friends.

BobJenks45
10-28-2008, 12:13 PM
I still would like to see Cameron back but not on the option. I don't know if that would work out. He would probably bolt to the Yankees since they have interest in him.

mike cameron said he doesnt want to go to NY, he said he wants to go to LA or Arizona

jaysfan4ever
10-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Hi, I'm a Jays fan, and we need a power bat. We don't have a CF to give you guys, but we have a good 2nd-year LF in Adam Lind, and maybe Corey Hart could move to CF?

I was thinking something along the lines of:

Adam Lind (25 year old left-handed LF) - great line-drive swing with 20HR, 100RBI potential
Brandon League (25 year old right-handed reliever) - high-90s fastball with excellent supporting pitches + major league success = future closer?
Ricky Romero (23-year old lefty starting pitcher) - has a ton of talent (drafted 6th overall in 2005), currently in AAA, but has been prone to bouts of wildness

brewersfan729
10-29-2008, 02:09 PM
We're getting an older, worse replacement, a reliever and a bust. Terrible.

APmvp28
10-29-2008, 11:47 PM
Take it for what its worth.......I work with someone who knows a person who is friends with the Attanasio family and it sounds like.......

-Prince Fielder is good as gone.....after the season he completely moved out of his house in Milwaukee, he really did not have any good friends on the team besides Rickie Weeks. And there is a good chance, if he does not get traded he will DEMAND ONE.

- Brewers are gearing up to offer CC a four year deal for 100 million. We would also need to resign Cameron for this to happen. There are also rumblings that Brewers management will attempt to offer CC ownership of the team that could become effective after his playing days are over. The pluses of a four deal, is that he will be only 32 33 when the deal is over and could then go home to CALI.

-It will be a very interesting off season to say the least.

brewersfan729
10-30-2008, 12:04 AM
Take it for what its worth.......I work with someone who knows a person who is friends with the Attanasio family and it sounds like.......

Yeah, I'm taking it with a huge grain of salt. I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy who's friends with the owner. I doubt it.

long ball
10-30-2008, 09:54 AM
Yeah, I'm taking it with a huge grain of salt. I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy who's friends with the owner. I doubt it.

basically he's saying it's his own speculation

Brew Crew
10-30-2008, 10:24 AM
No...What I got out of that is that he put together a bunch of things we've said already...

Fielder being traded.....

CC will sign for 4 years $100 mil....

and that we need to sign Cameron in order for CC to stay...And I just said that because I've heard they're really good friends.

Hey it could happen though...

APmvp28
10-30-2008, 11:55 AM

Thats fine, I imagined most people would. I work with an organization that has very very close ties to the Brewers and management.

We all know about the CC offer of 100 million for four years.

But no one is hearing about Fielder and his displeasures in Milwaukee....I was shocked when i heard this. i would have never thought this. But there was alot of damage done last year when the Brewers did not give Fielder more of a pay raise. I know most people will remember this and when Fielder said "his day would come",

He is as good as gone. And the brewers now it and can not say anything, because if they do and the media finds out, his trade value goes way down when teams know he wants out.

why do you think the Brewers are now saying they will listen to offers????? Teams will always listen to offers for players....they just wont go public about it. They are going public with this statement to show Fielder they are serious about working a trade for him and keep him happy so he doesnt go public with this situation and blow it up!

Smithy04
11-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Don't trade Prince Fielder. Lock him up long-term with Braun and Hart. That would be a deadly 3-5 combo for now and in the future.