PDA

View Full Version : Winslow Suspended

cdr02989
10-21-2008, 06:07 PM
espn's John Clayton was just on Sportscenter reporting the team suspended Kellen Winslow for one game for his comments regarding his 'undisclosed illness' situation with the team. Does this seem like too much of a punishment for a non issue by the organization?

cdr02989
10-21-2008, 06:11 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2008/10/browns_savage_announces_suspen.html another source.

hrtbrokenbrowne
10-21-2008, 08:26 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2008/10/cleveland_browns_tight_end_kel.html

First to answer the question posed, NO Winslow is an employee of Savage and the Browns organization, and he basically made unfounded claims about staph infections at the Cleveland Clinic... Winslow like most pro atheletes are pretty dumb about things like bacteria infections... and made other misleading statements that Savage deemed damaged the organization.

Interesting perspective about Winslow from Pluto, Plain Dealer sports writer.

I for one have expressed my opinion about Winslow previously on this site. He is a ME player if ever there was one. He unfortunately is a leader for this young Browns team ..... the wrong type of leader. The reason we got Rucker is because Savage knows all to well that Winslow was considering holding out demanding Dallas Clark money and doubts that Winslow will be healthy/around for too much longer.

Winslow also has played hurt, typically plays with fire and agressiveness and should be recognized for that.

Our offense has alot of plays designed to get TE open and free in single coverage. Winslow gets more throws than most TE in the league. I believe any TE with speed and good hands would put up similiar numbers as Winslow, thats my opinion.

Bottom line, if someone is willing to give us some favorable drafts choices for Winslow and Rucker develops I say send him packing. This next college draft is shaping up to be pretty strong.

IndiansFan337
10-21-2008, 09:14 PM
ESPN's James Walker believes that the Browns will look to deal Kellen Winslow this offseason.
Walker believes Winslow's Monday comments and resultant one-game suspension may have been the final straw after too much baggage has built up on both sides. Walker covered the Browns for three years before joining ESPN, so he may have connections in Cleveland. Still, this appears to be no more than speculation based on his reading of the situation.

The problem is that his value just took a hit by allowing everyone to know that he is having more big problems here in Cleveland.

ackar
10-22-2008, 09:29 AM
Not a browns fan but i came here to get the feel of the situation and what I believe is lost in this instance is WTF is going in Cleveland?

I mean how many staph infection are there in recent memory. Heck never knew what one was or even existed until these recent outbreaks.

I think the suspension has more to do with hey you suppose to keep our dirty little secret.

TheRedMarauder
10-22-2008, 11:28 AM
The problem is that his value just took a hit by allowing everyone to know that he is having more big problems here in Cleveland.

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports Kellen Winslow was shopped by the Browns before the trade deadline.

The public dispute between Winslow and the team is just one of the factors leading to the Pro Bowl tight end being dangled. He's also seeking a new contract while the Browns selected Martin Rucker in the 2008 draft as their future tight end. Combined with James Walker's ESPN report, it leads one to believe that the Browns will make Winslow available again in the offseason.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
10-22-2008, 11:29 AM
The National Football Post's Mike Lombardi doesn't believe Kellen Winslow's fine and suspension will hold up after Winslow files a grievance.

Winslow can get the money back, but we're unclear what a successful grievance would mean for Winslow's playing time. We suspect he's out this week regardless because the grievance will take time.

rotoworld

Jimi032890
10-22-2008, 05:32 PM
he's a soldier

TheRedMarauder
10-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Kellen Winslow has appealed his one-game suspension and the hearing is expected to take place on Friday or Saturday.

The NFLPA is backing Winslow's cause. He would also lose $235,294 for being suspended a game. It appears Winslow has a pretty good case against the Browns, but fantasy owners should prepare to be without him due to the lateness of his hearing. As far as we know, Winslow is not expected to practice, but we'll know for sure later this week.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
10-23-2008, 03:35 PM
The Browns could possibly make Kellen Winslow inactive Sunday even if he wins the appeal for his one game suspension.

In that scenario, Winslow would be paid for the game, but the Browns would not let him play. The Chiefs basically did the same thing with Larry Johnson last week, benching him without technically suspending him. It's hard to guess where this will go, but it seems unlikely Winslow will play this Sunday.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
10-23-2008, 08:13 PM
Kellen Winslow's appeal won't be heard until Tuesday, meaning he will not be available in Week 8 against the Jaguars.

On top of that, Browns GM Phil Savage expressed disappointment in the way Winslow has handled the whole situation. "The Browns are bigger than one person," said Savage. "We couldn't and won't allow one person to tear down the organization."

rotoworld

ackar
10-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Kellen Winslow's appeal won't be heard until Tuesday, meaning he will not be available in Week 8 against the Jaguars.

On top of that, Browns GM Phil Savage expressed disappointment in the way Winslow has handled the whole situation. "The Browns are bigger than one person," said Savage. "We couldn't and won't allow one person to tear down the organization."

rotoworld

"damage control" We look at like tools so let's refocus on the player who could have died.

"No staph infection move along..."

"But what is that eating away at..."

"Move along citizen...grrr"

NickChrisless
10-24-2008, 02:02 AM
I'm on Winslow's side. While I understand that he may have seemed like a distraction when we drafted him, and made a couple stupid mistakes early in his career ... c'mon this has nothing to do with him. The Browns are being little brats in this case and it's disrespect. Forget football, look at morals, what kind of crap is this?

I'd be offended too, and I think Savage was being a little ****** in this. It's ridiculous that players have to worry about their health, and then if they do end up being effected, they have to stay hush, hush.

hrtbrokenbrowne
10-25-2008, 12:20 AM
Staph infections are problems everywhere not just at the Cleveland Clinic. Brady also is having problems with a staph infection as is Peyton Manning I dont here them saying that the team doesnt care about them. I dont know why the team and/or Winslow wanted to keep this a secret other than perceptions that Cleveland has problems with staph which isnt really true. I think we have been unlucky but all teams are battling with these issues.

I honestly think Winslow was upset because the team won a big Monday night game without him and then blew it out of their ARSES against the Redskins.... immaturity on his part if you ask me.

DpressedBrwnFan
10-25-2008, 12:26 PM
After we re-do his contract. Keep him happy this year renegotiate his contract, then next year see how good Rucker can be I think he can be very good, especially when the weather gets cold since it seems to me that Winslow's hands turn to boards in cold weather. And if Rucker can be what he was in the first preseason game then we should trade Winslow and get a couple draft picks or a good D-lineman. Braylon needs to buck up, and we really need to dump Crennel and bring in Bill Cowher.

TheRedMarauder
10-25-2008, 12:48 PM
The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Kellen Winslow was suspended not only for statements disparaging the Browns, but also for "profane verbal abuse" of a public relations official.

If what the Plain Dealer reports is true, then the Browns are making a Matterhorn out of a molehill here. Despite Winslow's conciliatory statement earlier this week, it seems that too much baggage has been built up on both sides in Cleveland.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
10-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Browns coach Romeo Crennel indicated Monday that Kellen Winslow will likely regain his starting tight end job in Week 9.

"I will say this, don’t be surprised if Kellen is the starter," Crennel said. "I’m not saying he’s the starter, but don’t be surprised." The only surprise would be if the Browns decided to not start their best tight end. Cleveland can get back to .500 with a victory against Baltimore.

rotoworld