PDA

View Full Version : Ten Possible Blazer Trades

GoJetsFarve
10-13-2008, 11:12 PM
So, the Blazers have a huge asset in the LaFrentz contract. I guess it's worth something like $17 million and expires this summer, that's huge. They could just let it go off the books, or trade it. Many sub-500 teams will be chomping to get the contract for sure. A Blazers blog did a break down of ten likely trades and why they probably won't happen. (http://www.portlandtrailbloggers.com/archives/1136/ten-possible-trades-and-why-they-wont-happen/) I thought it was a good read.

jnb58
10-14-2008, 03:45 AM
I don't really see any of those players as upgrades other than Wallace or Howard. I like Gay a lot and being on a team where he doesn't need to be the first option to score might help him. The problem is that he isn't that much better than who the Blazers have.

Offense is not going to be a problem for this team as it is. It will will be consistent Lock down defense. The Blazers are preaching the same thing. Adding another score first guy will end up backfiring.

I really don't like how Outlaw is the extra piece Portland has to add every time. He is more valuable than all but LA, Roy and Oden.

Ansy
10-14-2008, 04:28 AM
Would love seeing RJ come to Portland. He's a great slasher who gets to the line a lot and puts his points on the board very efficiently. He's also an above average defender.

A slasher would be my second choice for answering our SF problem, though. My first choice would be a very good 3-point shooter who plays elite defense. Shane Battier would be my dream come true for this roll, but I was actually hoping we'd chase Sasha Vujacic with our midlevel this year. He played superb defense and shot lights out for the Lakers last year.

Honestly, I do think we should pursue a better SF. I think Outlaw is a little overrated by Blazers fans -- hear me out! He's basically a midrange jump shooter and as one he'll never score very efficienty. He also doesn't set other guys up (1 apg from a guy we're expecting to be a playmaker?) He doesn't make anyone else better or score efficiently. He just takes 2-point shots and makes them 44% of the time. We have plenty of scorers who can do that.

The one thing I do love about Outlaw's game is that he can get a shot whenever he wants, so he's a good bet to finish games for us. Because of his crazy length, there's basically nothing the defense can do to stop him from getting that 44% 2-pointer off. That's why McMillan went to him at the end of games so much last year.

Tblaze
10-14-2008, 01:11 PM
I don't think any of these deals are really good ones, I like obtaining Rudy Gay but it won't happen. And Gerald Wallace would be nice but the bobcats won't just accept outlaw + lafrentz. Josh Howard might work (dallas showed interest in outlaw before) but is it smart to add him?

A.Mopp
10-14-2008, 01:27 PM
The only deal i like is Rudy Gay. Which will never happen.

Then i read this quote at the bottom

So there you go, ten possible deals, all with little to no chance of happening.

jnb58
10-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Would love seeing RJ come to Portland. He's a great slasher who gets to the line a lot and puts his points on the board very efficiently. He's also an above average defender.

A slasher would be my second choice for answering our SF problem, though. My first choice would be a very good 3-point shooter who plays elite defense. Shane Battier would be my dream come true for this roll, but I was actually hoping we'd chase Sasha Vujacic with our midlevel this year. He played superb defense and shot lights out for the Lakers last year.

Honestly, I do think we should pursue a better SF. I think Outlaw is a little overrated by Blazers fans -- hear me out! He's basically a midrange jump shooter and as one he'll never score very efficienty. He also doesn't set other guys up (1 apg from a guy we're expecting to be a playmaker?) He doesn't make anyone else better or score efficiently. He just takes 2-point shots and makes them 44% of the time. We have plenty of scorers who can do that.

The one thing I do love about Outlaw's game is that he can get a shot whenever he wants, so he's a good bet to finish games for us. Because of his crazy length, there's basically nothing the defense can do to stop him from getting that 44% 2-pointer off. That's why McMillan went to him at the end of games so much last year.

I see what you are saying about Jefferson. I like that he moves very well on offense. I don't know if he ever gets tired. I think that we will see more of that from the Blazers this year but Jefferson is one of the best at it.

I think Battier would be the best fit for the Blazers I can think of out of anyone in the NBA. I am not exaggerating. The guy doesn't need to shoot and plays some of the best D in the league. When he shoots, it is a high percentage shot for him and a team can't leave him alone.

I think you and I are both seeing Outlaw the very same way also. I see a 6'9" SG/SF/PF who shoots 44% midrange because every year the coaches play him further from the basket. The problem he had last year is poor shot selection. He can create a shot against most players that will D him but he tends to rely on funky shots most others wouldn't take.

I just think the growth he has shown is worth keeping him plus he is a major influence with the other players and he has true star potential. He just turned 24 with 5 years experience. He could be the 6th man of the year if he shuts people down with 15 ppg.

Portland develops talent better than anyone in the league. I would just be patient.

Tblaze
10-16-2008, 12:00 PM
We need players that are not only experience but mature too. No Vince Carter, No Carmelo Anthony, and probably no Josh howard either. If we're going to add a veteran it should be a Mature Experienced player along the lines of Shawn Marion, maybe Richard Jefferson hence even shane battier would probably be a better fit then the 3 I mentioned earlier. It's not all about skill and atheltesism. If we're going to spend our valueble trading chips, make sure it's a player that is dedicated to the team, plays defence and is mature.

Ansy
10-16-2008, 06:37 PM
I think Battier would be the best fit for the Blazers I can think of out of anyone in the NBA. I am not exaggerating. The guy doesn't need to shoot and plays some of the best D in the league. When he shoots, it is a high percentage shot for him and a team can't leave him alone.

The more I've thought about this the more I want Battier. Battier/Oden has Bowen/Duncan potential on defense. Battier is probably the second best perimeter defender in the league behind Artest right now. Plus Battier shoots well enough from the 3 that he can space the floor for all our playmakers to work; and he never complains about shot attempts and would be a great veteran presence.

If we can't get Battier from Houston, I was thinking Raja Bell would be a good fit as well. He's a couple years older, which I don't like because this team's window is the future so youth is paramount, but he fits the mold perfectly. He's lights out from 3 (40%) and probably a top 10 perimeter defender. If Pheonix falters this season and drops out of contention then they won't have much use for an aging rollplayer. We might be able to get him on the cheap.

blazerman
10-16-2008, 07:35 PM
Big expiring contracts go along way, just look at what Memphis got for Pau Gasol (Kwame Brown's expiring, J. Crittenton, a pick and a Jeannie Buss hand job). Gasol was the perfect fit with Bryant, a big man with little attitude and willing to be the 2nd option.

Battier is my choice for a sf and I think we will ultimately get him by the deadline if Artest is performing well. Lafrentz and Webster, a pick and Sergio will get that done. I say Webster because that would give them a good shooter off the bench.

Artest will need to be resigned and it will cost more than the 6.4/5 mil they are paying him, Lafrentz is the answer there. Finally some youth in Rodrigeuz and a pick.

Look for this deal to pick up some validity come trade time.

jnb58
10-17-2008, 12:17 AM
The more I've thought about this the more I want Battier. Battier/Oden has Bowen/Duncan potential on defense. Battier is probably the second best perimeter defender in the league behind Artest right now. Plus Battier shoots well enough from the 3 that he can space the floor for all our playmakers to work; and he never complains about shot attempts and would be a great veteran presence.

If we can't get Battier from Houston, I was thinking Raja Bell would be a good fit as well. He's a couple years older, which I don't like because this team's window is the future so youth is paramount, but he fits the mold perfectly. He's lights out from 3 (40%) and probably a top 10 perimeter defender. If Pheonix falters this season and drops out of contention then they won't have much use for an aging rollplayer. We might be able to get him on the cheap.

I wonder if Pritchard has made a call about this. I wonder what the Blazers would have to give up for him. I like Raja a lot. Not as much as Battier for the same reasons. The salary has to fit.

I think Outlaw has the ability to be like Battier with better inside game. That would be great if he turned into a stopper.