PDA

View Full Version : McMillan Considering Roy At Small Forward

POZUNO
10-12-2008, 11:49 PM
McMillan Considering Roy At Small Forward
-
With Martell Webster out at least two months, McMillan is toying with the idea of moving Brandon Roy to small forward and starting Rudy Fernandez at shooting guard.

http://slamonline.com/online/2008/10/mcmillan-considering-roy-at-small-forward/
__________________________________________________ ____________
^^How do you guys feel about this experiment? I kinda like it JMO. Y'all do have a lot of options, but this type of line up could be very helpful from time to time.

Ansy
10-13-2008, 05:11 AM
If Roy can handle it without being a defensive liability against bigger SFs then it would be a huge boon for the Blazers. Everyone knows what Rudy can do, the only question has been whether or not he could get on the floor.

If Roy can transition into a 3, then Outlaw is F-d with regards to playing time, though.

A.Mopp
10-13-2008, 03:13 PM
That is an interesting idea. Roy would then play a point/forward because he likes to handle the ball at times. Having Rudy, Roy and LA all out there together would be some exciting stuff.

BoltLakerPadre
10-13-2008, 10:39 PM
It would be an exciting lineup, but it'd be a small lineup. Roy's pretty big for a SG, but will still be undersized for a SF.

A.Mopp
10-14-2008, 01:28 PM
That is very true. Would would be very undersized, and that is tough to overcome in the west

uomatty
10-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Remember Roy has guarded SF's before. Last year he guarded Carmelo Anthony. Remember when he blocked him at the end of a close game. He may be somewhat undersized, however he has shown he is capable. In addition, he would be a major mismatch on almost every single SF in the NBA offensively.

Ansy
10-14-2008, 07:57 PM
In addition, he would be a major mismatch on almost every single SF in the NBA offensively.

I actually disagree. A lot of the SFs in the league are faster than Roy. He's not particularly explosive or renowned for his footspeed. He'd be a mismatch in the since that he's better than a lot of SFs at basketball :) -- but I don't think he'd be a mismatch physically.

SAVAGE CLAW
10-14-2008, 11:06 PM
Ive been thinking about it as the natural solution since Rudy is better than Outlow and Webster since the beggining.

patriotsfan50
10-14-2008, 11:32 PM
i think the idea is a good one and bad one for different reasons.

Good
Rudy can create for teammates.
can shoot the ball extremely well.
is fun to watch
and plays good defense

BAD

rudy likes to have the ball a lot and that would be an issue at points when roy normally takes over.
that leaves the second unit without a play maker in the small forward shooting guard position.
rudy is fast and smart but without him in the second unit u would have to play bayless at the small forward and that would be an extremely small lineup with sergio and bayless in the backcourt.

its got its goods and bads but i like the idea of starting him with roy.

A.Mopp
10-15-2008, 03:33 PM
Ive been thinking about it as the natural solution since Rudy is better than Outlow and Webster since the beggining.

Roy st SF is not a long term solution. He would be fine there for a month but he is undersized to play there full time. He will wear down faster and probably get injured again. He won't last a season there.