PDA

View Full Version : Matt LaPorta...Matt who???

hgtiger32
09-28-2008, 06:34 PM
LaPorta for CC Sabathia. Enough said. Period.

CubsRule08
09-28-2008, 06:36 PM

I know you wont listen to me because im a Cubs fan, but giving up a future starting position player (LaPorta) for a 3 month rental (Sabathia) will come back to bite you guys in the ***...

BaRRySandAmaN
09-28-2008, 06:49 PM
I know you wont listen to me because im a Cubs fan, but giving up a future starting position player (LaPorta) for a 3 month rental (Sabathia) will come back to bite you guys in the ***...
Well if you really think about it we really were covered with Braun and Hart(even though he has been struggling). It wasnt that bad of a move for what we got out of CC, I will take being in the playoffs. Anything could happen even though I dont see him resigning with the Brewers, but I would absolutly love it if he does.

jiggin
09-28-2008, 07:13 PM
If the Brewers go the distance and win the WS, I will agree 100% with you. But if they go out in the first round and end up with a weaker team next year minus a very good prospect in Laporta, then what? I mean...a rental player is only a good solution if he takes you to the promise land.

The brewers are on the right track, having slipped in the playoffs via the wildcard. But if they end up out early (first round or even second round) it won't really matter what CC did this year will it? Is he coming back next year?

Good luck to the brewers. Its nice to see the NL Central represented well in the playoffs. Just a 2 short years ago the talk was about how weak the NL Central was...now look at it...the best in the NL in my opinion.

EdTheRevelator
09-28-2008, 07:15 PM
As an Indians fan, after watching how well the Tribe did in the second half, I have to wonder how much better we could have been had we held on to CC. All I have to say is Matt LaPorta better be a stud.

jiggin
09-28-2008, 07:21 PM
As an Indians fan, after watching how well the Tribe did in the second half, I have to wonder how much better we could have been had we held on to CC. All I have to say is Matt LaPorta better be a stud.

don't worry Indians fan, unless CC leads the brewers to the WS and a win, you will come out ahead. CC will be relocating after the season and all the brewers will have (unless they go the distance) is fond memories of his time with the Crew. That's what sucks about rental players looking for the big payday. Many teams go through it, it just happens to be a hot button issue with the Brewers this year.

The brewers will have a competitive team next year, but even expert analyst don't believe they will be as good as this year. With the Cubs core team returning and the Cardinals having 60+ million in payroll off the books to shop with, it may be hard for the brewers to compete in the division next year, thus why they went for it all this year. Better hope it happens or its going to be a long off-season filled with CC and Sheets FA rumors that have little to do with them buying homes in the Cheese state.

brewersfan729
09-28-2008, 07:22 PM
Keeping a stud prospect or getting into the playoffs for the first time in 26 years. Easy decision.

jiggin
09-28-2008, 07:25 PM
Would you get the **** out of our forum? I'm sick of all these Cubs fans coming in here and baiting, trying to rain on our parades. **** that. I stay out of your forum you do the same.

LOL...you only stayed out of the Cubs forum because you were getting eaten alive and got banned if I remember correctly.

I know the truth hurts some times, but that is all cubs fans are reminding brewers fans of right now. You can call that "raining on your parade" but think of it as a taste of what is really going on (reality) rather than baiting. Comments like, "the brewers are the hottest team in the MLB entering the playoffs" just begs for a reality check.

Sorry man...not trying to piss anyone off. But ignoring the facts means someone has to bring the painful truth to the forefront, and if that means rain is in the forecast for your "parade" then sorry...

brewersfan729
09-28-2008, 07:29 PM
:eyebrow: When did any of us bait? This is nothing compared to what you did on our forum...

To you guys perhaps. There's a whole generation of Brewers fans who have never experienced the playoffs. Thanks to CC, they are now going to.

OnWisconsin2007
09-28-2008, 07:30 PM
LOL...you only stayed out of the Cubs forum because you were getting eaten alive and got banned if I remember correctly.

I know the truth hurts some times, but that is all cubs fans are reminding brewers fans of right now. You can call that "raining on your parade" but think of it as a taste of what is really going on (reality) rather than baiting. Comments like, "the brewers are the hottest team in the MLB entering the playoffs" just begs for a reality check.

Sorry man...not trying to piss anyone off. But ignoring the facts means someone has to bring the painful truth to the forefront, and if that means rain is in the forecast for your "parade" then sorry...

How are we not the hottest team? We've won 6 of our last 7, 2 walk offs, a huge HR from Rickie Weeks, Braun's legendary HR today, CC pitching better than any human on the planet....who's hotter? And what's "reality"? That we're going to lose first round? That may happen, but it hasn't yet, so don't call it reality.

jiggin
09-28-2008, 07:32 PM
if it makes you feel better, Cubs fans are dealing with reality as well. They have to play a VERY powerful offensive team in the dodgers who have a 3 man rotation that has some pretty awesome numbers (welll under 4.00) and a lights out BP.

The difference is, most Cubs fans (not all) realize this and know that the Cubs are going to have to play some damn good baseball to make it through the first round. They know that even though the Cubs have the best record in the NL, it doesn't mean squat in the playoffs and going against the Dodgers.

The brewers will be the underdog playing the Phillies and the Dodgers will be the underdog playing the Cubs. That doesn't mean squat though in the playoffs.

CubsRule08
09-28-2008, 07:33 PM
To you guys perhaps. There's a whole generation of Brewers fans who have never experienced the playoffs. Thanks to CC, they are now going to.

Ok i can agree with that, but if you saw the In-Game Thread (IGT's), some of us Cubs fans actually congratulated you guys for making it...including me. I am a Cubs fan, and a baseball fan in general, so sorry for being a good baseball fan and congratulating you guys...i wont do it again then

redwhitenblue
09-28-2008, 07:33 PM
How are we not the hottest team? We've won 6 of our last 7, 2 walk offs, a huge HR from Rickie Weeks, Braun's legendary HR today, CC pitching better than any human on the planet....who's hotter? And what's "reality"? That we're going to lose first round? That may happen, but it hasn't yet, so don't call it reality.
6 of your last 7 against Pittsburgh and half the Cubs team.

Dodgers are hotter, without doubt.

Brooke
09-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Dude calm down they aren't baiting. Just stop already

wwfd1220
09-28-2008, 07:37 PM
6 of your last 7 against Pittsburgh and half the Cubs team.

Dodgers are hotter, without doubt.

well good luck cubs, against a much hotter dodgers team. keep the NL central alive

redwhitenblue
09-28-2008, 07:38 PM
well good luck cubs, against a much hotter dodgers team. keep the NL central alive
We'll need it.

jiggin
09-28-2008, 07:39 PM

I won't belittle anything you guys did, even if it was against the pirates or a cubs team that was regularly resting players and never 1 time had their entire A team in the game during the entire series. You want to ignore that info, so I will play along.

I will end this back and forth by saying good luck. I wish that would could look at this without your blue and gold homer glasses, as a baseball fan and not as a brewers fan. But knowing that I am in the brewers forum, I digress. I will take this conversation to a place, like the general MLB forum, where people can look at the playoffs from a non-bias perspective and have a conversation that involves the reality of the situation without reactions involving hurt feelings or defensive jabs.

good luck in the playoffs against the NL East Champ Phillies.

jiggin
09-28-2008, 07:41 PM
We'll need it.

yep...cubs will have their hands full with the Dodgers and the Brewers will have their hands full with the Phillies.

I won't be surprised one bit if either one or both of them end up exiting early.

BaRRySandAmaN
09-28-2008, 07:48 PM
I will say yes, we get to the promise land it makes the deal better, but we have one of the best Farms in the league. We got hitters all over the place down there. We really dont have a spot for Gamel as well. I think the deal worked out for both teams, LaPorta has been killing the ball but who knows so did Jeff Francouer and look what happened to him this past year.
Im glad to be in the Post season as I was 2 the last time it happened. This is great for the DIE_HARD brewer fans that have stuck with them through all the down years. Bring on the Phils, excellent Hitters and a closer thats been lights out in Lidge.

PackCrewBuckBad
09-28-2008, 09:32 PM

we wont listen because it wont.

PackCrewBuckBad
09-28-2008, 09:37 PM

so it is a fact the brewers wont win the WS?
It is a fact CC wont resign?
It is a fact LaPorta will be a top player?

You know what is a fact?
The Brewers have made the playoffs for the first time in over 20 years, and another fact, we traded CC to get us there and he did just that.

As for onwisconsin, none of them baited, quit being an *** just because you despise the cubs.

hgtiger32
09-28-2008, 09:44 PM
LaPorta is a "prospect"...no MLB all-star games yet...so until he's an allstar this is a gr8 trade

brewersfan729
09-28-2008, 09:48 PM
I could see it being a great trade even if LaPorta turns into an all-star.

1. We reached our goal of the playoffs when we acquired Sabathia.

2. We get two picks when he leaves. Who's to say one or both of them don't turn into all-stars?

gottaHaveHart
09-28-2008, 10:39 PM
since we made it to the post season, cle. gets a top five prospect to ... SC said it was brentley.

OnWisconsin2007
09-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Let's not forget...what will making the playoffs do for our team? Other free agents will think we're at least halfway decent, we'll get some more big name players hopefully, maybe gain some respect, increase our payroll, etc. Nothing but good will come from this trade.

CubbieSteve
09-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Brewers definitely won this trade imo.

LaPorta hasn't proven a thing yet, he could be a bust for all we know. While CC has been a stud and put this team on his back to the postseason.

zookerman182
09-28-2008, 11:24 PM
brantley is a great player. I was sorta bummed he was the other player. But we are in the Playoffs and thats all that matters right now.

jiggin
09-29-2008, 12:47 AM
probably should ask the question as to who won in this trade in a year or two. The CC thing will be a distant memory and it will give time to see if Laporte pans out.

If he becomes even a decent player making very little money for 6 years, and CC doesn't bring home a WS trophy, it will be hard to deny that the trade worked out in favor of the Indians, who knew CC wasn't going to resign with them.

Will CC resign with the Brewers? I guess he could, but the organization is going to have to increase their payroll by an insane amount while cutting fat from other places. Most analysts don't believe that will happen. That is what makes signing rental players such a risk and hard to come ahead in any trade.

The compensations picks help pad the situation for the brewers...so there is that silver lining if a WS championship doesn't come out of the playoffs with CC.

Cub_StuckinSTL
09-29-2008, 12:57 AM
I'm with Jiggin if CC doesn't bring home the hardware this trade isn't in your favor.

Cub_StuckinSTL
09-29-2008, 01:06 AM
He wasn't picked up to win the World Series for us. It was more for to get to the playoffs and let things play out there. Thats what Melvin was saying at the time of the pickup. He wasn't expecting a WS just a run into the playoffs.

See I think thats a horrible attitude to take. Teams dont play just to make the playoffs. They play to make the playoffs and win it all.

jiggin
09-29-2008, 01:55 AM
He wasn't picked up to win the World Series for us. It was more for to get to the playoffs and let things play out there. Thats what Melvin was saying at the time of the pickup. He wasn't expecting a WS just a run into the playoffs.

I believe the comment he made was, we are going for it all. So, I guess its just the definition of what "it all" is. I believe, to most that means winning the world series. After all, what does getting to the playoffs do for you in the long run if you don't win it...nothing really...right? I mean, I would say the same thing for the Cubs/Red Sox/Dodgers or whoever. More home games me more revenue for the club...but not much else if they exit early.

2nd place is only the first loser.

wissportsfan
09-29-2008, 03:16 AM

Don't speak to soon.

Duddy415
09-29-2008, 09:23 AM
don't worry Indians fan, unless CC leads the brewers to the WS and a win, you will come out ahead. CC will be relocating after the season and all the brewers will have (unless they go the distance) is fond memories of his time with the Crew. That's what sucks about rental players looking for the big payday. Many teams go through it, it just happens to be a hot button issue with the Brewers this year.

The brewers will have a competitive team next year, but even expert analyst don't believe they will be as good as this year. With the Cubs core team returning and the Cardinals having 60+ million in payroll off the books to shop with, it may be hard for the brewers to compete in the division next year, thus why they went for it all this year. Better hope it happens or its going to be a long off-season filled with CC and Sheets FA rumors that have little to do with them buying homes in the Cheese state.

You're a moron, bottom line!!! your in everyone of these brewers forums talking stupid.
1.)Matt laporta hasnt done anything at the big league level yet.
2.)We have the best minor league system in baseball..Mat Gamel,Jared Jeffreis, Escobar, Nelson, and it goes on an on..... and 4 more first round picks next year, Im thinking we can afford to dish away a few prospects.
3.)you better worry about your god damn cubs, because there probably going to **** out in the first round again!
4.)Every post i have ever read from you is ignorant, just stop trying to talk like you know baseball, we trade a prospect for a playoff apperance, and it didnt pay off unless we make the WS!!! Stop wasting peoples time with your ignorant talk.

Cub_StuckinSTL
09-29-2008, 11:06 AM
You're a moron, bottom line!!! your in everyone of these brewers forums talking stupid.
1.)Matt laporta hasnt done anything at the big league level yet.
2.)We have the best minor league system in baseball..Mat Gamel,Jared Jeffreis, Escobar, Nelson, and it goes on an on..... and 4 more first round picks next year, Im thinking we can afford to dish away a few prospects.
3.)you better worry about your god damn cubs, because there probably going to **** out in the first round again!
4.)Every post i have ever read from you is ignorant, just stop trying to talk like you know baseball, we trade a prospect for a playoff apperance, and it didnt pay off unless we make the WS!!! Stop wasting peoples time with your ignorant talk.

Wow calling Jiggin ignorant and saying things like the cubs are just going to **** the bed in the first round? Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black. Fact of the matter is its way too early to judge the trade. With numerous scenarios that could play out.
1) Brewers get knocked out first round and Laporta becomes a stud
2) Brewers win it all and Laporta is nothing
3) Brewers make a push and CC loses game 7 of the WS and Laporta plays out to be an above avg fielder
etc etc etc its way too early to judge

OnWisconsin2007
09-29-2008, 03:17 PM
You guys won't be saying this when CC resigns with us.

spazzmccrory
09-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Now that we made the playoffs we have to give up brently also

brewersfan729
09-29-2008, 04:05 PM
2.)We have the best minor league system in baseball..Jared Jeffreis, Nelson

We have the best minor league system in baseball (not true BTW) and you can't even get one of our top prospects' name right (FYI, it's Jeremy Jeffress, not Jared Jeffreis.) Nelson isn't even close to being a top prospect.

OC Knights #11
09-29-2008, 05:22 PM
who cares. We should be worried about the phillies. And the Cubs should be worried about the dodgers. Enough said.

25YrsNcounting
09-29-2008, 06:18 PM
All i know whoever signs CC in the off-season is gonna get a worn out pitcher. The Brewers raped him this year so dont be surprised to see him on the DL early next year.

OC Knights #11
09-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Um...ok...

I guess I'll throw a party at my place to watch all the Phiilies games from this season and talk about nothing but the Phillies.

? i said we shouldn't care about the cubs. Let's start talking about the phillies series.

OC Knights #11
09-29-2008, 07:08 PM
This thread is about LaPorta and CC and thats what the conversation is...

oooooooooooooooooooooh. lol I thought this was the Cubs Brewers thread. My bad.

jiggin
09-29-2008, 07:39 PM
CC WANTED the ball in the games he pitched. He is a pitcher thats built for it. He will be just fine next year and beyond.

wanting the ball doesn't mean squat on the subject. Just about every player out there WANTS to play, they are extreme competators. That is why the manager and the pitching coach need to step in and make the right decision for the player and the team. That is why its a big deal. The brewers are treating him and his arm like they know he isn't coming back to MIL. Would they treat a young rookie pitcher this way even if he wanted the ball every 3 days? No. Why? Because they would know that future years depended on his arm being healthy for all those years, and that abuse now could lead to problems with his arm in 1 - 2 - 3+ years down the line.

That is why everyone is saying GM's may be pissed at the brewers management and that CC may end up regretting this down the line. Its not just fans of the game, sports analysts are saying the same thing.

No one is questioning his drive to win and help the brewers. That doesn't mean its healthy for him as a pitcher in the long run, nor a positive move for his career going forward past this year. And the abuse is even more an indicator that the brewers don't intend to sign him in the off-season.

EdTheRevelator
09-29-2008, 07:44 PM
CC WANTED the ball in the games he pitched. He is a pitcher thats built for it. He will be just fine next year and beyond.

Doesn't mean it won't damage him. Of course he's going to say he wants the ball. CC's a gamer. Look at the innings he pitched last season, and look how he fared in the playoffs. If you don't remember, I'll give you a hint: he sucked pretty hard.

You guys won't be saying this when CC resigns with us.

He won't, so they probably will.

banglawiz
09-30-2008, 03:05 AM

Is giving up ur future worth 3 month rental for CC! I dont thinks so when he has about 1% chance of returning. I know he is been great and u guys might have over used him a little (No Offence he's ur pitcher so u guys have the right to use him how ever u want but this might effect his long term future.) if u look at the big picture i dont think its worth it
u guys gave up Deporta who is labeled as a a very good prospect and now since u guys made the playoffs the indians get to chose from a group of prospects

Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer details an interesting arrangement between the Brewers and Indians regarding the player to be named later in the C.C. Sabathia trade (hat tip to Anthony Castrovince). Hoynes says the Indians get to choose the player if the Brewers make the playoffs; otherwise, the Brewers choose. The Brewers have roughly a 70-80% chance of making the playoffs, according to Baseball Prospectus.

Hoynes says the candidates include four possible players, with outfielder Michael Brantley and third baseman Taylor Green among them. Baseball America had Green ranked ahead of Brantley heading into the season, but it seems pretty close.

IDk how good they r but from what heard and read they could be very good.

But u never know with prospects if their for real. But my honest openion is that u guys could have gotten more value for those prospects maybe u guys could have traded for Haren or Harden or Try to get a dominant young pitcher who the other team cant afford so who could help u in the long term.

Sorry if i offended ne 1. i just gave my honest openion.

LoafingOaf
09-30-2008, 07:05 AM
Brewers definitely won this trade imo.

LaPorta hasn't proven a thing yet, he could be a bust for all we know. While CC has been a stud and put this team on his back to the postseason.

Indians fan here. It was obviously a great trade for the Brewers because getting to the playoffs is what matters. A lot of people wanna sound like George Steinbrenner and go on about how the season is a failure if you don't win the World Series. Anything can happen in the playoffs. What matters most of all (okay, I know my team's not won it all in my lifetime, but still) is being in a pennant race in September and being in the playoffs in October. Brewers fans have already had many weeks of heightened excitement surrounding their team, and they now have a 1 in 4 shot of getting to the World Series with a team that has the best ace in the NL if not the game.

But I don't agree that they "won" the trade. Hopefully it'll turn out win-win for the Brewers and the Tribe. The only way it's a "loss" for the Tribe so far is if one feels the Tribe pulled the plug too soon on their season (which many Tribe fans believe, though I don't think so). Other than that, hopefully Laporta and the others turn out great for the Indians.

Anyway, I wanted to congratulate the Brewers and CC. I'm wearing a Brewers cap this playoffs. The first baseball games I ever attended as a child were Indians vs Brewers at Cleveland Municipal Stadium (a family friend had a connection to the Brewers and invited us to his loge every time the Brewers came to town. I also recall the Indians home games that had to be played in Milwaukee because of the infamous snow outs in Cleveland, and how Brewers fans came out to those games in large numbers, which I thought was nice of their fans (we feared the games would be played in a mostly empty ballpark). And now my fave pitcher (at least until he signs with a team I despise, like the Yankees) is their ace for their playoff run. I do hope the Brew Crew wins. But even if you don't, the trade was well worth it to end your playoff drought. Savor every inning of it. But don't have a heart attack from too much stress and excitement! lol

We're pretty excited about LaPorta in Cleveland, but you never really know with prospects. But hey, with the Brewers in the playoffs, we get to pick the "player to be named later". :)

Oh, and as long as CC doesn't object (he won't) I think the Brewers should pitch him as many innings this playoffs as possible. I have a strong feeling he'll be more dominant this playoffs than last, because of the experience.