PDA

View Full Version : Could the Blazers.....

phils07
09-24-2008, 04:43 PM
WIN THE CHAMPIONSHIP IN BASICALLY THEIR FIRST YEAR OF THIS TEAM?

im saying yes. although everyone will say no. but before im told to temper my expectations or go do something other than make stupid threads, consider a few things. brandon roy and lamarcus aldridge are very good. they are both entering their third year of professional basketball. one is an allstar, and one could be an all star. the blazers have the best bench in the league. thier young, thats the only knock on the whole team. in addition to all of this, theyre adding a man by the name of Gregory Wayne Oden jr. i expect him to be a perennial MVP candidate, as well as the catalyst to get this team a championship. soooo....what hinders them form winning a championship besides experience? injury. thats about it. granted, injury and inexperience are pretty big reasons. but there have been many greater improbabilities in the world.

oden, admittedly saying he is not in basketball shape yet, will take a little bit of time to get accustomed. after that, i expect to see him dominating the defensive end while punishing people down low on offense. so why does that not mean either playoff success or an improbable run at a title? i know this is outlandish, but i view them kind of like a florida marlins type of team. young as hell, talented as hell, but with an ownership that actually cares about them. we all know the marlins were young in 2003 and 1997, but they won it on the backs of young players like edgar renteria and josh beckett. yes, there were veterans on those teams, but lets be idealistic for a minute. with roy and aldridge entering their third year, u can expect to see some improvements in their game, which means a lot of production. roy might get a little more dimes or increase his efficiency in field goal shooting percentage. aldridge could get better defensively with some tenacity as well as increase his field goal percentage. so 2 all stars, or 1 all star and a fringe all star, mixed together with the best supporting group of teammates in the leage, along with the addition of possibly one of the better defensive centers in a long time. how does that not equal championship contention?

again, i clearly basically have an extreme envy of the blazers organization, but i think its very possible that portland surprises a few poeple. im not talking about just making the playoffs because a lot of people are as excited for them as well as expecting as much out them as i am. they are predicting they will make it in in the 6-8 seed areas. even if that is true, i wouldnt want to the play the blazers as a higher seed. i think this team could definitely beat the hornets. this team could best almost every team in the west besides the l*kers IMO. if bynum is healthy, i dont see them not winning it all this year, even tho the west is tough and the celtics are still good.

there are so many IFs involved with this team. but im saying if it all ideally works out, watch out. IF roy and aldridge continue their ascent coupled with odens presence, i think this team is a true contender for a title.

nbafan244
09-24-2008, 06:10 PM
i would love to say yes..i think they will surprise a lot of folks with the depth and how much skill and talent we really do have...

jgonboricua
09-24-2008, 07:00 PM
they have a chance, depends on how well a year greg oden has, does bayless become the next gilbert arenas(minus the knees) and is rudy fernandez the next ginobili? all these guys are going to have to contribute in order for it to happen as well as roy leading this team...but they have the deepest team in the league, inexpierience is the only thing that could hurt them....think of them as the new orleans hornets of last season...

A.Mopp
09-24-2008, 10:09 PM
I don't think they are ready to all the way yet. They need a year or two to grow together get chemistry and gel. Then this team will be deadly.

Ansy
09-24-2008, 10:40 PM
If Oden comes into the league as strong as Duncan, Mourning, Hakeem or the Admiral did in their rookie seasons then I think we're contenders (still far from favorites but in the hunt) right away. I don't think he's going to be that good right off the bat, though.

blazerman
09-25-2008, 01:46 PM
This team is going to be interesting, I think all 3 rookies have a unique opportunity. Being able to come to a team, that already has good players at each position will benefit them more so than players that are counted on to come in and save the day.

Oden has expectations that the others dont, but he's fortunate to have Pryzbillla as his backup, Rudy has Roy to learn from and I dont know to many people that wouldn't benefit from. As far as Bayless, I think by mid season he's gonna make a case for himself.

All these players should learn quickly, practices with good competition will definetly help them prepare for the upcoming season.

I still believe the Blazers will aquire a legit veteran before the deadline, as we sit now, we are gonna be tough. With a solid vet add to the mix, would really add that element that could make all the difference come playoff time.

phils07
09-26-2008, 01:51 AM
If Oden comes into the league as strong as Duncan, Mourning, Hakeem or the Admiral did in their rookie seasons then I think we're contenders (still far from favorites but in the hunt) right away. I don't think he's going to be that good right off the bat, though.

im not even saying he will come in like that. if he were to come in similar to those 3 hall of famers and 1 good player, i would absolutely guarantee a blazer championship in their first year and every year after that. i dont think that production will happen until year 3. the big difference between his rookie year and 3rd year will definitely increase the probability of a title run. im saying this year, tho low, the probability is not low enough to slough them off as pretenders.

but im expecting production of around 11 points and 9 boards and 3 blocks. for a rookie and a mid season 21 year old, thats pretty good. for anyone thats solid. and if that defensive production actually impacts the game as much as i expect, that is what will lead them into the playoffs. maybe even my view of an improbable run at the title.

Hustla23
09-26-2008, 06:45 PM
Two years and then its light out ... for the rest of the NBA.

SAVAGE CLAW
09-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Not Enough Experience to acomplish it.

Only Lafrentz ... go figure... has some Playoff experience.

You could Argue that International and Euroleague game qualifys somehow Rudy for it too but the rest.....

Not enough experience.

jnb58
09-28-2008, 06:41 AM
Anything is possible. To say they cannot is ignorant. I hope they do but I don't think they will.

ragee
09-30-2008, 12:22 AM
They do have a chance but the percentage of it happening is very little... If Oden lives up to his hype, Rudy can do what he did in the olympics and Bayless scores like how he did in the summer league, then we do have a chance. We already have a good team without those three. Now we have a great team. Lack of experience will be their main problem. Then the over packed contenders from the west.

Kings Faithful
09-30-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm not trying to Jinx you guys or what not, but Oden looks like one of those guys who is just gonna get hurt...alot. So id be kinda worried about that. But even if he does step up you guys aren't good enough to beat the Lakers, Rockets, Spurs, or Celtics in a 7 games series....I'm not saying it won't happen, anything can happen, im just saying on paper it looks doubtful.

A.Mopp
09-30-2008, 08:47 PM
Its looks better in 2 years or so. When the team grows, matures and develops chemistry.

mrblisterdundee
10-02-2008, 01:35 PM
I picture them making it to the second round of the playoffs in the best scenario.

{}
10-02-2008, 06:46 PM
best case scenario is just making the 8th seed, which would be a long shot. If Portland makes the playoffs and at least remains competitive in one game before being swept in the first round, it'll be a successful season.

A.Mopp
10-02-2008, 07:59 PM
best case scenario is just making the 8th seed, which would be a long shot. If Portland makes the playoffs and at least remains competitive in one game before being swept in the first round, it'll be a successful season.

no they have a great chance to get the 8th spot. they also have a great chance to be higher. I don't see them winning a first round playoff series but i see them being competitive and taking whatever teal to 6 games or so.

jnb58
10-03-2008, 02:12 AM

no they have a great chance to get the 8th spot. they also have a great chance to be higher. I don't see them winning a first round playoff series but i see them being competitive and taking whatever teal to 6 games or so.

A.Mopp, ignore everything this guy writes. I have read a bunch of stuff he writes. Needless-to-say, he just likes riling people up. I wouldn't exactly call him a troll but he rarely bases arguments on facts. It is all opinion. And everyone else is wrong.

He might just not know much about basketball and just like to write though.

blazerman
10-03-2008, 04:35 AM

I think you should stop eating "****** SANDWICHES", your philosophy is about as ******** as you. If Portland makes the playoffs which they will, it's because they are as good or better than expected and I think the first team they play will be wishing they had won a few more games or lost a few more so they didnt have to play Portland in the first rd.

Try eatin some p***y it's better for your brain!

BoltLakerPadre
10-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Best bench in the league? Really?

BoltLakerPadre
10-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Now that I think about it; Frye, Prizbilla, Bayless, Outlaw and Fernandez, not to mention the beast in the middle Raef LaFrentz. That is a very good bench, but best in the league is still a very bold statement.

A.Mopp
10-04-2008, 08:08 PM
The Blazers do have an excellent bench. When you can bring Rudy, Bayless, Outlaw and Frye off the bench that is a great asset. Some of those players could start on other teams.

Storch
10-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Its definitely possible.