-----------------------

APPARENTLY SARAH PALIN NEEDS HER OWN THREAD
(Check the post and view counts)
--------------
If the hype ever simmers down,
and if we ever start talking about the other candidates again
(in non Palin-related ways, that is),
then this will be merged into the main
"Truth and Fiction About the Candidates" thread.
--------------
ALL new posts about Palin that are not based on
REAL NEWS that is a) factual, and b) important
will automatically be merged into this thread.

================================================== ==
================================================== ==
Original post:
===========

FOX News reports Mitt Romney not McCain's VP pick; Minnesota Gov. Pawlenty indicates he's out; speculation centers on Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin

FOXNEWS.COM

DENVER - John McCain kept his vice presidential pick a closely guarded secret hours before the high-stakes announcement Friday as a top prospect, Gov. Tim Pawlenty, seemed to scratch his name from the list.

YAHOO.COM

Could it be Gov. Sarah Palin

NotVeryOriginal
08-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Palin is a total Milf, if she is the Veep she needs to do a playboy shoot just to appeal to younger voters.

redsox12
08-29-2008, 09:21 AM
wow lol.

She would make Hill's supporters make a choice if they truly want a women in the top 2.

I may not be here at noon so hopefully someone will post the VP here.

NotVeryOriginal
08-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Wow what? She is a milf. I doubt its her, McCain really needs a name if he wants to win and all I know about her comes from several 'Hawtest women in politix' debates.

redsox12
08-29-2008, 09:35 AM
I just never thought i would read the word milf in the politics forum.

BG7
08-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Palin is out. Fox News is a little behind. She will be at the Alaska State Fair today to unveil the new state quarter.

Huckabee, Pawlenty, and Romney are all out due to sources.

That would mean Lieberman, Ridge, with the darkhorse of Condoleeza Rice.

I think Romney and Huckabee might still be in it though.

JHG722
08-29-2008, 09:50 AM
Palin is out. Fox News is a little behind. She will be at the Alaska State Fair today to unveil the new state quarter.

False.

SmthBluCitrus
08-29-2008, 10:05 AM
NBC News looking to confirm Alaska Governor Sarah Palin as McCain's VP choice.

Reporting that two private planes have left Anchorage, Alaska bound for Dayton, Ohio.

hoosiercubsfan
08-29-2008, 10:11 AM
NBC News looking to confirm Alaska Governor Sarah Palin as McCain's VP choice.

Reporting that two private planes have left Anchorage, Alaska bound for Dayton, Ohio.

Heard the same thing just a bit ago. Said there was a woman that looked like her with two teenage girls and two men. She is the mother of 5 so could have been most of her family.

hoosiercubsfan
08-29-2008, 10:15 AM
www.mccainpalin.com

There is already a website put up. Though it doesn't mean anything per se since anyone can put up a website. But still a little food for thought that it may be her.

SmthBluCitrus
08-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Yea, but there's a mccainromney.com and a mccainpawlenty.com, too. I think they're just speculators looking to make a buck.

rhino17
08-29-2008, 10:24 AM
She was ran for Miss Alaska 1988 :)

BG7
08-29-2008, 10:26 AM
It's official, Sarah Palin is the VP pick.

What a horrible pick.

JHG722
08-29-2008, 10:28 AM
No it wasnt.

BG7
08-29-2008, 10:32 AM
No it wasnt.

Yes it is. You are thickheaded if you can't comprehend that once the news stations report that so and so (in this case Palin) is the VP choice...that means they're the VP choice.

Unless you think Fox News is lying.

SmthBluCitrus
08-29-2008, 10:32 AM
I honestly don't know much about her, but isn't she embroiled in some sort of scandal in Alaska concerning the firing of a state trooper?

And, what does she bring to the ticket aside from diversifying it? It takes away the opportunity for the McCain campaign to challenge Obama on the "inexperience" platform ... Obama was nominated by voters, Palin was appointed.

Any Republicans excited about this possibility? I'd like to hear about it.

BG7
08-29-2008, 10:36 AM
It's a shame I have to go into class.

(lol at the Fox News reporter calling her Susan...yea, this is going to work well...).

I don't think she's ready for the national stage. Biden should tear her apart in the debate.

marques724
08-29-2008, 10:37 AM
John McCain can't be that dumb

BG7
08-29-2008, 10:38 AM
John McCain can't be that dumb

Horrible pick, but at least better than Huckabee! This should help McCain lock up Alaska...

Eastside Scott
08-29-2008, 10:40 AM
I honestly don't know much about her, but isn't she embroiled in some sort of scandal in Alaska concerning the firing of a state trooper?

And, what does she bring to the ticket aside from diversifying it? It takes away the opportunity for the McCain campaign to challenge Obama on the "inexperience" platform ... Obama was nominated by voters, Palin was appointed.
Any Republicans excited about this possibility? I'd like to hear about it.

I am unclear what you mean here? The "inexperience" talk is McCain (experience) versus Obama (inexperience). What does Palin have to do with it at all? I am not challenging just a little confused.

In my opinion, once the election is over, the VP is just the guy/gal who goes to funerals. We all pay breathless attention to the selections and analyze the crap out of them, but they only matter during election times when they are being the official "attack dogs" so their candidate can stay above the fray, and then 6-7 years later when it is debated whether or not they should run for the #1 gig.

Look at Gore. Guy has a Nobel Prize and an Academy Award now but you couldn't find him with a team of forensic experts while he was VP until he started running for P.

SmthBluCitrus
08-29-2008, 10:40 AM
NBC News confirms: Sarah Palin is John McCain's choice for VP

sboyajian
08-29-2008, 10:42 AM
I honestly don't think she will get the Republican vote for a top 2 position.. I think he just hurt himself there.

BG7
08-29-2008, 10:42 AM
This is simple. Send Hillary as the main attack dog against Palin. Game over.

SmthBluCitrus
08-29-2008, 10:43 AM
I am unclear what you mean here? The "inexperience" talk is McCain (experience) versus Obama (inexperience). What does Palin have to do with it at all? I am not challenging just a little confused.

In my opinion, once the election is over, the VP is just the guy/gal who goes to funerals. We all pay breathless attention to the selections and analyze the crap out of them, but they only matter during election times when they are being the official "attack dogs" so their candidate can stay above the fray, and then 6-7 years later when it is debated whether or not they should run for the #1 gig.

Look at Gore. Guy has a Nobel Prize and an Academy Award now but you couldn't find him with a team of forensic experts while he was VP until he started running for P.

Palin is part of the ticket -- a heartbeat away, as it were. She is incredibly inexperienced on the national stage/national politics, and has only been an Alaska governor for two years. In my opinion, she does more to hinder McCain's platform of "inexperience." McCain just can't play that card anymore.

marques724
08-29-2008, 10:45 AM
He clearly pick her to try to make an attempt to sway some of the Hilary voters

marques724
08-29-2008, 10:47 AM
At least he knows he got Alaska in the bag.

SmthBluCitrus
08-29-2008, 10:48 AM
He clearly pick her to try to make an attempt to sway some of the Hilary voters

Like I said, aside from diversifying the ticket, what does Palin bring?

Eastside Scott
08-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Palin is part of the ticket -- a heartbeat away, as it were. She is incredibly inexperienced on the national stage/national politics, and has only been an Alaska governor for two years. In my opinion, she does more to hinder McCain's platform of "inexperience." McCain just can't play that card anymore.

I get ya. I think that the VP pick in terms of "one heartbeat away" probably resonates more strongly this year than usual when you have a guy that is pretty up there in age and a black guy where everyone has always morbidly joked about not wanting to be the first black President because of assassination. So your point is well taken.

Please anyone who reads this post do not make some kind of knee-jerk reaction to assassinating the black guy. Read the whole thing, get the context, know I am not advocating for that. Eddie Murphy did a whole section of his stand-up back in the glory days about this. He would pretend to be making a speech while constantly on the move to avoid bullets. He had Buckwheat assassinated, etc. I hatethat I have to type this last paragraph, but you just never know on here.

FearAD
08-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Wow. What a surprise.

She has 5 kids and just recently had a baby. She is not hard to look at.

Totally inexperienced.

Looks like a very desperate move on McCain's part. Obviously he is trying to pander the the Hillary vote. I'd like to think women are smarter than that and are insulted.

Her husband is an Eskimo.

This "mommie" is not the person you want to be a heart attack away from the Presidency.

Questionable choice on McCain's part.

I feel bad for southern white men, vote for the Black guy or a chick.

HOWE do i do it
08-29-2008, 11:01 AM
It is OFFICIAL

WASHINGTON - Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain has chosen Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate, NBC News has learned.

She would be the first woman ever to serve on a Republican presidential ticket. The pro-life Palin would also be the first Alaskan ever to appear on a national ticket.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25970882/from/ET/

MvpMets00
08-29-2008, 11:04 AM
McCain is desperate, if this doesn't prove it what does?

redbird89
08-29-2008, 11:08 AM
We'll see how this turns out.

As a woman, I'm not insulted. She just doesn't seem to have much experience.

JHG722
08-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Yes it is. You are thickheaded if you can't comprehend that once the news stations report that so and so (in this case Palin) is the VP choice...that means they're the VP choice.

Unless you think Fox News is lying.

Fail.

CubsGirl
08-29-2008, 11:18 AM
This is a smarter move than you guys think. McCain could pick up a LOT of the voters who don't care enough about politics to pay attention. Pissed off Hilary voters, voters with a mentally disabled kid...

This is a smarter move than it looks.

rhino17
08-29-2008, 11:19 AM

she's no more inexperienced than obama

I like the pick, and she has the highest approval rating of any governor in america

http://bp2.blogger.com/_uExTzMIDd1Y/R2O5nKq9_tI/AAAAAAAAATE/At2bb_K_3ao/s1600-h/Sarah-Palin-Vogue.jpg

JHG722
08-29-2008, 11:19 AM
This is a smarter move than you guys think. McCain could pick up a LOT of the voters who don't care enough about politics to pay attention. Pissed off Hilary voters, voters with a mentally disabled kid...

Women, outdoorsy people, young parents, beauty pageant participants, soccer moms, etc., etc., etc.

ari1013
08-29-2008, 11:20 AM
wow what a bad move.

1. It takes the experience argument off the table
2. It looks overtly like a political play to win Hillary voters
3. Most importantly, Sarah Palin's got some corruption issues:

A fly in the ointment that might derail a possible Sarah Palin candidacy is a potential personnel scandal. In July 2008 Governor Sarah Palin fired the Alaska Commissioner for Public Safety Walt Monegan, according to the Associated Press. Monegan is maintaining that Sarah Palin fired him for refusing to fire Palin's ex brother-in-law from the Alaska State Troopers. The State Trooper ex brother-in-law was involved in a divorce and child custody fight with Sarah Palin's sister, Molly McCann. Palin maintains that she fired Monegan because she wanted to take the department in a new direction.

An investigation into the matter is ongoing. With an atmosphere in Alaska which includes felony charges against the state's senior US Senator, the mere fact of an investigation may make the McCain campaign reluctant to name Sarah Palin as the Vice Presidential Running mate. The potential scandal could tarnish Palin's reputation as a reformer, willing to take on corruption even in her own party.

yboord028
08-29-2008, 11:20 AM
It sure is an interesting pick, I'll have to learn more about her. I've honestly haven't even heard her mentioned as a possible VP candidate.

redsox12
08-29-2008, 11:21 AM
I love how the liberals hate this pick but thought Biden was good.

This puts the Hilliary supports in a bind, if they truly want a women, they have to vote for Palin otherwise it looks like they were never about a women just Hilliary.

ari1013
08-29-2008, 11:21 AM

I like the pick, and she has the highest approval rating of any governor in america

http://bp2.blogger.com/_uExTzMIDd1Y/R2O5nKq9_tI/AAAAAAAAATE/At2bb_K_3ao/s1600-h/Sarah-Palin-Vogue.jpg
That's incorrect since Obama's at least been at the national stage, whereas she hasn't. But even if we say they're equal, how can McCain possibly attack Obama/Biden on experience now?

rhino17
08-29-2008, 11:22 AM
How does it take the inexperience argument out, she has as much experience as Obama and she isnt running for president

SmthBluCitrus
08-29-2008, 11:22 AM
I don't know CG. A lot of the pissed off Hillary voters are still issue voters. They say things like "McCain won't be that bad, I've survived seven years of Bush, I can survive four more." But, that drama has died down lately. I've talked with other people that have said that even if McCain went out and got Hillary to be his VP, they were just going to stay home because they didn't want Obama or McCain to be President.

I'm absolutely shocked by this move. I don't think it's a good one for McCain, but I'll need to do some research and feel a few things out before I can make a true judgement. :)

ari1013
08-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Here's another quote from this morning:

I can't imagine a woman that's been a governor for a year and a half, but to debate Joe Biden on Georgia, a remerging Russia, an emerging China and India, on the Middle East, my God, how does she do that?

Yikes!

rhino17
08-29-2008, 11:24 AM
I love how the liberals hate this pick but thought Biden was good.

This puts the Hilliary supports in a bind, if they truly want a women, they have to vote for Palin otherwise it looks like they were never about a women just Hilliary.

Oh I know

I like this pick

CubsGirl
08-29-2008, 11:24 AM
I don't know CG. A lot of the pissed off Hillary voters are still issue voters. They say things like "McCain won't be that bad, I've survived seven years of Bush, I can survive four more." But, that drama has died down lately. I've talked with other people that have said that even if McCain went out and got Hillary to be his VP, they were just going to stay home because they didn't want Obama or McCain to be President.

I'm absolutely shocked by this move. I don't think it's a good one for McCain, but I'll need to do some research and feel a few things out before I can make a true judgement. :)
It's not going to get all the disgruntled Hilary supporters, probably not even half.

But I am worried about this move being enough to get a lot of votes from people who don't pay attention.

ari1013
08-29-2008, 11:25 AM
How does it take the inexperience argument out, she has as much experience as Obama and she isnt running for president
Less than two years as governor of Alaska? Really now? What kind of experience does she have with regard to any type of national issues?

Here's what she said last week:

Larry Kudlow of CNBC’s “Kudlow & Co.” asked her about the possibility of becoming McCain ticket mate.
Palin replied: “[A]s for that V.P. talk all the time, I’ll tell you, I still can’t answer that question until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the V.P. does every day? I’m used to being very productive and working real hard in an administration. We want to make sure that that V.P .slot would be a fruitful type of position, especially for Alaskans and for the things that we’re trying to accomplish up here for the rest of the U.S., before I can even start addressing that question.”

SmthBluCitrus
08-29-2008, 11:28 AM

Actually - if you want to make that argument - she is.

Obama had been in the Illinois Senate from '97 - '04, and then in the US Senate since then.

Palin was a small town mayor from '96 - '02 (not exactly state level politics) before she became the Alaska Governor in '06.

I'd say that Obama has more national political experience than Palin does -- and when you combine the Presidential candidate with the VP, the Obama-Biden ticket has far more Washington experience, and that's coupled with Obama's "change" vision.

JHG722
08-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Well at least she can do more than utter the word 'change'.

steelcityroller
08-29-2008, 11:29 AM

I agree. I think its a gamble but it could pay off big time. Alot of people are gonna vote for Obama just to have the first African American president. Well now alot of people are gonna vote for McCain just to the first woman vice president and possible president should something happen to McCain.

I dont think its the right pick but its the smart pick which is kinda said because that shows the flaw with the two party system in which the parties basically pick the most electable figure rather than the best person for the job.

It must be hard as hell to get a high approval rating in a state that has 600,000 people....

{º¿º}
08-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Palin is a total Milf, if she is the Veep she needs to do a playboy shoot just to appeal to younger voters.

So much for Obama's theme of 'change'. Obama opted for an old-style washington running mate who voted for the Iraq invasion, ridiculed Obama as a presidental candidate and endorsed a McCain presidency. :D

McCain brings in a fresh face to appeal to younger voters and Hillary supporters who are still unhappy. Good strategic move.

SmthBluCitrus
08-29-2008, 11:31 AM
Women, outdoorsy people, young parents, beauty pageant participants, soccer moms, etc., etc., etc.

I'm a woman ... and a mom. She doesn't appeal to me. :D

SmthBluCitrus
08-29-2008, 11:32 AM
Well, lets face it. Regardless of who wins this election, history will be made.

First black POTUS
First female VPOTUS

SmthBluCitrus
08-29-2008, 11:34 AM
"I know Hillary Clinton, and Sarah Palin is no Hillary Clinton" - Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D - FL)

johnnylee722
08-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Bad pick here IMO... could of done better and picked a candidate to get him more votes. He might lose votes from this.

{º¿º}
08-29-2008, 11:36 AM
Actually - if you want to make that argument - she is.

Obama had been in the Illinois Senate from '97 - '04, and then in the US Senate since then.

Palin was a small town mayor from '96 - '02 (not exactly state level politics) before she became the Alaska Governor in '06.

I'd say that Obama has more national political experience than Palin does -- and when you combine the Presidential candidate with the VP, the Obama-Biden ticket has far more Washington experience, and that's coupled with Obama's "change" vision.

...did Palin actually win her position? Obama hasn't won a contested election. His muppeteers eliminted his opposition with allegations of a sex scandal and details from a messy divorce. Keyes was just a white flag replacement.

...Biden said Obama lacks the experience to become president and endorsed McCain. :laugh: I hope that gets steady air play until the elections.

homie564
just heard this im watching fox news now... but question... has obama officially named joe biden?

ari1013
Well at least she can do more than utter the word 'change'.
How about you list 10 things she can do. I'll give you an hour to come up with the list.

ari1013
08-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Well now alot of people are gonna vote for McCain just to the first woman vice president and possible president should something happen to McCain.

That didn't work so well for Mondale in 1984.

ari1013
08-29-2008, 11:38 AM
just heard this im watching fox news now... but question... has obama officially named joe biden?
Yes. And Biden accepted it on Wednesday.

SmthBluCitrus
08-29-2008, 11:38 AM
...did Palin actually win her position? Obama hasn't won a contested election. His muppeteers eliminted his opposition with allegations of a sex scandal and details from a messy divorce. Keyes was just a white flag replacement. .

What would you call the primary? I think that was slightly contested. I seem to remember this one candidate, Hillary Rodham Clinton, that didn't exactly roll over.

homie564
08-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Yes. And Biden accepted it on Wednesday.

k thanks :D

ari1013
08-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Bad pick here IMO... could of done better and picked a candidate to get him more votes. He might lose votes from this.
I agree. There were many better options available to him. But he wanted to take a big gamble apparently. This is reminiscent of Dan Quayle.

Biggest political gamble I believe just about in American political history...that is not hyberbole. I can think of no choice of VP that approaches this.

gcoll
08-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Terrible pick.

{º¿º}
08-29-2008, 11:45 AM
...by the way, I love how this news comes less than 16 hours after Obama's nomination. Talk about stealing the thunder away from him. No doubt we'll see a lot of pissed off democrats who wanted to spend the whole week glossing over his night. Instead, the news headlines and discussions will be focused on Palin and why McCain chose her, etc, plus she's young and attractive so the superficial press will swoon all over her and want to aquaint themselves with her.

to put it in the most obnoxious way possible. OBAMA got PWNED!!!

ari1013
08-29-2008, 11:47 AM
...by the way, I love how this news comes less than 16 hours after Obama's nomination. Talk about stealing the thunder away from him. No doubt we'll see a lot of pissed off democrats who wanted to spend the whole week glossing over his night. Instead, the news headlines and discussions will be focused on Palin and why McCain chose her, etc, plus she's young and attractive so the superficial press will swoon all over her and want to aquaint themselves with her.

to put it in the most obnoxious way possible. OBAMA got PWNED!!!
Nah, actually I'm surprised McCain didn't announce it last night. I think he was pretty classy in waiting until today to do it.

Plus it covers up the fact that the news media would be talking about McCain's 72nd birthday instead. And Johnny doesn't want anyone to remember how old he is.

SmthBluCitrus
08-29-2008, 11:50 AM
The time was all planned in advance. We found out earlier in the week that McCain was announcing his VP at noon on Friday. Nothing has been taken away from Obama. You're reaching.

If it hadn't been Palin, I'd assume (from this comment) that you'd say ...

"I love the way McCain held the Republican Convention the WEEK after the Democratic Convention! No doubt we'll see a lot of pissed off democrats who wanted to spend the whole next two months glossing over his night. Instead, the news headlines will be dominated by the Republican Convention!"

JHG722
08-29-2008, 11:52 AM
How about you list 10 things she can do. I'll give you an hour to come up with the list.

Hunt game
Fish
Fire a gun
Buy her house without help
Actually play basketball
Marry someone who isn't a nutcase
Play the flute
Raise a kid with Down Syndrome
Ride a snowmobile
Fly a plane
Look really, really ridiculously good looking

MvpMets00
08-29-2008, 11:54 AM
With McCains age being what it is, imagine if he is elected president, health problems develop and he does die. We would be left this VP choice as Commander In Chief......

Scary.

redsox12
08-29-2008, 11:57 AM
I'm a woman ... and a mom. She doesn't appeal to me.

She will appeal to moms who don't work for DNC

SmthBluCitrus
08-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Hunt game
Fish
Fire a gun
Buy her house without help
Actually play basketball
Marry someone who isn't a nutcase
Play the flute
Raise a kid with Down Syndrome
Ride a snowmobile
Fly a plane
Look really, really ridiculously good looking

You have low standards ... lol (only kidding with you).

SmthBluCitrus
08-29-2008, 11:59 AM
She will appeal to moms who don't work for DNC

Fair enough :D But, it's the IDP not the DNC. I don't work in national politics.

Anyhoo -- somebody said earlier that they liked the pick. Let me say, I like the pick, too.

JHG722
08-29-2008, 12:00 PM
:dance:

yboord028
08-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Alright MSNBC has a live feed of the crowd waiting for McCain, and I have to say its very embarassing. There are freaking McCain cheerleaders and they're doing the wave in the stands behind the stage :pity:.

TotallySox9097
08-29-2008, 12:03 PM
This is not a good pick, It might woo over the women who are sexist enough to vote for a woman just because. (at least majority of African americans already were going to vote for Democrate but same thing applies for obama.) But its not like she is a moderate, She is Anti abortion right and against everything Hillary Clinton stands for If you vote for mccain as a democrat you are one stupid ****.

Honestly are you that stuck up that you will vote for someone cause your having a temper tantrum. Christ your acting like such immature little babies. Listen to yourselves "Ohh my woman didnt win, ok No democrat will win now (enter crying) Hillary hillary" Its so rediculus and You fake democrats really make me angry.

MvpMets00
Alright MSNBC has a live feed of the crowd waiting for McCain, and I have to say its very embarassing. There are freaking McCain cheerleaders and they're doing the wave in the stands behind the stage :pity:.

Classy.

b1e9a8r5s
Ok, my thoughts.

First, Obama hasn't stopped talking about change since bringing on Biden who's been in Washington for 35 years so I don't see how McCain has to stop talking about expierence because of this.

2nd, what does she bring? Well I admit that I don't know a ton about her, but her goes. A side from being a woman which has it's obvious advantages given the "Hillary" voters. I think she is a reformer. She took down fellow republicans because they were corrupt in Alaska. She will add to McCain's (admittedly dwindling) "maverick" image.

3rd, as a republican, the concern I have is how well she can "handle herself" in debates. I've never heard her speak and Biden is obviously well versed in debate. As some have said, during the election we pick apart the VP picks, but once they are administration, they go away to some extent. I think the one big thing a VP candidate does have to do is the debate. I do wonder if this pick was somewhat of an effort to undercut Biden's toughness in debate. I mean, I thought McCain was going to pick Romney and the debates would just be a battle royal (which I was looking forward to), but now I think Biden has to tread carefully, because an older man being very hard/harsh on a younger woman could come off poorly to a lot of women.

CubsGirl
08-29-2008, 12:06 PM
This is not a good pick, It might woo over the women who are sexist enough to vote for a woman just because. (at least majority of African americans already were going to vote for Democrate but same thing applies for obama.) But its not like she is a moderate, She is Anti abortion right and against everything Hillary Clinton stands for If you vote for mccain as a democrat you are one stupid ****.

Honestly are you that stuck up that you will vote for someone cause your having a temper tantrum. Christ your acting like such immature little babies. Listen to yourselves "Ohh my woman didnt win, ok No democrat will win now (enter crying) Hillary hillary" Its so rediculus and You fake democrats really make me angry.
I do think that disgruntled Hilary supporters voting for someone who likely stands for the polar opposite of many ideals is incredibly immature.

I swear to god, you should have to take a little quiz about your candidate before you vote to make sure you know what you're voting for. It doesn't have to be long, maybe only 5 questions. ****, it can even be multiple choice.

LAKERMANIA
I dont think this was a good pick either.. I understand what McCain is trying to do.. But a governor of Alaska who hasn't even been there for 2 years i running for VP with McCain as president? I dont think it was a good pick.. McCain could have gotten someone a lot better imo..

IMO, if i were to choose between Vice Presidents, I would pick Biden in a landslide.

gcoll
First, Obama hasn't stopped talking about change since bringing on Biden who's been in Washington for 35 years so I don't see how McCain has to stop talking about expierence because of this.
He doesn't have to, but now it's just stupid.

2nd, what does she bring?
Nothing. It's a feeble attempt to attract women voters, who are angry about Hillary. But it's a fool's errand, because women usually vote democrat anyway.

You aren't gonna get the young vote, you aren't gonna get the women vote....choose the candidate that will be the better vice president, and I doubt this Palin lady, is the best choice to be Vice President.

Wrigleyboy25
08-29-2008, 12:07 PM
Holy crap.

b1e9a8r5s
08-29-2008, 12:08 PM
I forgot one big thing. This is going to rally the base as well. She is a big pro-lifer (rally the social conservatives) and has a record of being a reformer and cutting spending (rally the fiscal conservatives).

MvpMets00
08-29-2008, 12:09 PM
I dont think this was a good pick either.. I understand what McCain is trying to do.. But a governor of Alaska who hasn't even been there for 2 years i running for VP with McCain as president? I dont think it was a good pick.. McCain could have gotten someone a lot better imo..

IMO, if i were to choose between Vice Presidents, I would pick Biden in a landslide.

Like I said, with McCains health his VP choice should have been very important. Apparently not.

redsox12
08-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Has it been mentioned that Palin is the only person out of all tickets with executive experience.

DenButsu
08-29-2008, 12:12 PM
I can't really say if I think this is a good pick or not because I know absolutely nothing about her.

I'm really, really, really surprised.

They're going to have to deliver a whole lot of biography, and very, very quickly.

A lot of the posters here don't seem (like me) to know much about her. I have a hard time seeing how this could be a good thing. But I don't know, maybe it's a shrewd move on McCain's part, and I'm just not getting it.

But I don't get it. That's for sure.

b1e9a8r5s
08-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Also, this plays into McCain's, "not your normal republican" thing. In a year that any normal republican would get crushed (generic polls), he is right there. I actually like the pick (assuming she can handle herself in the debate).

Bosox Believer
08-29-2008, 12:13 PM
I feel this is one more validation of the wisdom of choosing judgment over experience. I am giddy with McCain's choice here today. The only way I could be happier would be if he had chosen Joe!

Imagine the mental picture of McCain standing next to Palin. Democrats won't have to even bring up McCain's advanced age. All they will have to do is LOOK at the stage and see the huge juxtaposition.

I don't get it. I just don't get this pick. Was there really nobody else in the Republican party that wanted the job or something? Has the McCain camp come out to explain why they would go here?

:dance:

gcoll
08-29-2008, 12:13 PM
But I don't know, maybe it's a shrewd move on McCain's part, and I'm just not getting it
It's not. It's a transparent move.

She's the VP pick because she's a woman, and the Mccain campaign is overplaying the Hillary angle.

Should have gone with Romney. And if they had to choose a woman, see what Condi is up to.

CubsGirl
08-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Ergh, I never watch the news on TV and now I remember why. CNN has some dumb ***** on there talking about how in the debates, Biden will have to walk a thin line so that he doesn't look like a bully because he's dealing with a girl. My inner feminist is very irritated.

Wrigleyboy25
08-29-2008, 12:15 PM
I like this lady reading about her. Here she comes!

b1e9a8r5s
08-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Also, the Obama camp is going to be issuing press releases criticizing her lack of experience, which is the pot calling the kettle black, which I think people will realize.

I'm on board, I like it.

Wrigleyboy25
08-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Hello daughter McCain.

CubsGirl
08-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Also, the Obama camp is going to be issuing press releases criticizing her lack of experience, which is the pot calling the kettle black, which I think people will realize.

I'm on board, I like it.
They will? Have you already seen the press releases?

Don't assume. Especially because I think that Obama's camp is probably smarter than that.

Wrigleyboy25
08-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Haha he walks in with "Right Now" by Van Halen playing.

CubsGirl
08-29-2008, 12:18 PM
Oh my god I'm so glad they're finally on stage. I was just about to mute Wolf Blitzer.

I hate TV news so bad.

redsox12
08-29-2008, 12:18 PM
Only one with real governing experience, very social consecutive, fits McCain maverick style, very popular, etc.

This race just became more interesting

Wrigleyboy25
08-29-2008, 12:19 PM
They are singing Happy Birthday to McCain.

CubsGirl
08-29-2008, 12:19 PM
Haha, McCain doing the same thing Obama did last night - Thank you... Thank you... THANK YOU. STOP. CHEERING.

Wrigleyboy25
08-29-2008, 12:20 PM
I gotta say I like seeing this after the past week of Democrats.

Wrigleyboy25
08-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Haha, McCain doing the same thing Obama did last night - Thank you... Thank you... THANK YOU. STOP. CHEERING.
I think Obama had him beat by about 35 thank you's.

NotVeryOriginal
08-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Ergh, I never watch the news on TV and now I remember why. CNN has some dumb ***** on there talking about how in the debates, Biden will have to walk a thin line so that he doesn't look like a bully because he's dealing with a girl. My inner feminist is very irritated.

However sexist or even reverse sexist it is, its true. Biden was supposed to be the attack dog, Palin could just take the heat and play innocent, which subverts the norm of Obamas campaign being about 'break partisan politics', or at least in theory.

I gotta say Im thinking this might be an attempt to let Obama take a landslide and hope for a huge conservative blowback to roll around in 2012. In conclussion, Palin is a Milf. That just cant be stated enough.

Bosox Believer
08-29-2008, 12:22 PM
I think Obama had him beat by about 35 thank you's.

And hopefully 35 electoral votes come Nov 4:D

JHG722
Thank YOU!

PUGS1688
Why am I not surprised at this pick? I don't know enough about Sarah Palin to start calling her corrupted just yet, but if you can't figure out why McCain picked a women on your own...well then maybe you shouldn't vote at all.

CubsGirl
08-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Goddamnit, I wish someone had tested these mics better. This feedback noise is killing me.

redsox12
08-29-2008, 12:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh-lW2opLyQ&feature=related

Craig Ferguson likes her.

MvpMets00
08-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Awww! The PTA, how cute.

Wrigleyboy25
08-29-2008, 12:26 PM
that lady behind him is so excited.

RogerRomo
08-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Like I said, aside from diversifying the ticket, what does Palin bring?

You really do drink a lot of the kool aid you Obama folk dont you? LOL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin

Inexperience? riiiiigggghhhttt... Sure is a lot more than 190 in the STATE senate, 1/3 of the time not even being present to cast a vote... hmmm...

JHG722
08-29-2008, 12:27 PM
I'd give money for Johnny to say And she can kick your ***!

CubsGirl
08-29-2008, 12:27 PM

Inexperience? riiiiigggghhhttt... Sure is a lot more than 190 in the STATE senate, 1/3 of the time not even being present to cast a vote... hmmm...
...Wikipedia? Really?

Wrigleyboy25
08-29-2008, 12:42 PM
ouu daughter mccain has a new friend.

Wrigleyboy25
08-29-2008, 12:44 PM
I like her.

CubsGirl
08-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Well, she's way stronger than I thought she was be. Very likable too.

Wrigleyboy25
08-29-2008, 12:45 PM
van halen again!

MvpMets00
08-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Forum just imploded.

CubsGirl
What I got a kick out of was that when they introduced her they TOTALLY played music like you would hear if this was a movie.

MvpMets00
van halen again!

I thought he liked Abba?

:laugh:

redsox12
08-29-2008, 12:47 PM
As a member of the Democratic minority in the 109th Congress, he helped create legislation to control conventional weapons and to promote greater public accountability in the use of federal funds. He also made official trips to Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. During the 110th Congress, he helped create legislation regarding lobbying and electoral fraud, climate change, nuclear terrorism, and care for returned U.S. military personnel. After announcing his presidential campaign in February 2007, Obama emphasized withdrawing American troops from Iraq, energy independence, decreasing the influence of lobbyists, and promoting universal health care as top national priorities.

wikipedia

so thats not true is it.

PUGS1688
08-29-2008, 12:50 PM
She's pro-life? Interesting...must be anti-women too.

Wrigleyboy25
08-29-2008, 12:53 PM
I wonder if Cindy is going to get jealous.

CubsGirl
08-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Oh, and also, Cindy McCain is only 10 years older than her! She must be so pissed that she spent all that money on plastic surgery and doesn't look anywhere near that pretty.

{º¿º}
08-29-2008, 12:56 PM
She's pro-life? Interesting...must be anti-women too.

...she's pro-life, pro-gun, anti-gay marriage, fiscally conservative, has strong ethical and moral principles, has fought govt corruption...and she was runner up in the Miss Alaska beauty pagent. What is there not to like about her? As a real conservative myself, I like her better than her liberal running mate.

b1e9a8r5s
08-29-2008, 12:59 PM
They will? Have you already seen the press releases?

Don't assume. Especially because I think that Obama's camp is probably smarter than that.

Informed of the selection, a Barack Obama spokesman questioned Palin’s executive experience.

“Today, John McCain put the former mayor of a town of 9,000 with zero foreign policy experience a heartbeat away from the presidency. Governor Palin shares John McCain’s commitment to overturning Roe v. Wade, the agenda of Big Oil and continuing George Bush’s failed economic policies — that’s not the change we need, it’s just more of the same,” said spokesman Bill Burton

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/08/29/mccain-to-name-running-mate-on-friday/

I guess you assumed that Obama is smarter than he is.

Damn The Man
08-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Palin is the first GOP running mate in U.S history. I think it is a good choice and makes this Presidential race a lot more interesting. Any thoughts on this?

Bosox Believer
08-29-2008, 01:00 PM
has strong ethical and moral principles

Can you define this please?

steelcityroller
08-29-2008, 01:01 PM
It's not. It's a transparent move.

She's the VP pick because she's a woman, and the Mccain campaign is overplaying the Hillary angle.

Should have gone with Romney. And if they had to choose a woman, see what Condi is up to.

Agreed. That wouldve really made things interesting.

That didn't work so well for Mondale in 1984.

Mondale wasnt running against an African American candidate either.... Race and sex are gonna be bigger issues in this election now whether people will admit that or not.

ari1013
08-29-2008, 01:01 PM
I wonder if Cindy is going to get jealous.
Of what? She looks like she could be McCain's daughter.

Anyway, it looks like the McCain Team is ready to steamroll the message that Palin is a maverick in the same mold as McCain. Let's see if that can bail them out of this mistaken choice.

I really wonder if he asked Romney first and Mitt said no. I've been thinking all along that Mitt would be making a big mistake to sign onto a losing ticket. In 2012 Mitt can come back out to the national stage and say, "see what a mistake you made by nominating McCain and letting Obama win the election."

As an Obama supporter, I'm pretty worried about the above scenario in 2012.

ari1013
08-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Agreed. That wouldve really made things interesting.

Mondale wasnt running against an African American candidate either.... Race and sex are gonna be bigger issues in this election now whether people will admit that or not.
But with Mondale, that was the very first woman ever nominated to a VP spot. When McCain loses, Palin will be remembered as the first non-traditional Republican candidate, but not really as a historic figure.

CubsGirl
08-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Informed of the selection, a Barack Obama spokesman questioned Palin’s executive experience.

“Today, John McCain put the former mayor of a town of 9,000 with zero foreign policy experience a heartbeat away from the presidency. Governor Palin shares John McCain’s commitment to overturning Roe v. Wade, the agenda of Big Oil and continuing George Bush’s failed economic policies — that’s not the change we need, it’s just more of the same,” said spokesman Bill Burton

They didn't play up the inexperienced card, he said she has no foriegn policy experience, which is true, and then launched into the "that's not change, that's more of the same" spiel.

That statement was much more about her values than it was about her experience.

ari1013
08-29-2008, 01:03 PM

I'm glad Obama did that. That's a fair attack.

CubsGirl
08-29-2008, 01:03 PM

McCain's a serial cheater. If I was Cindy, I'd definitely be jealous. (this doesn't have any bearing on his political ability, I'm just pointing it out. It is what it is.)

SmthBluCitrus
08-29-2008, 01:04 PM

It's Alaska! Her biggest claim to fame was to stop a bridge that went to an airport. Woot woot!

Talk about drinking the kool-aid buddy boy. You consistently come in with post after post of empty rhetoric and make accusation after accusation about liberal intentions and how brainwashed we are. You continually fail to offer any substance like some of your conservative colleagues.

Until you can bring something firm to the table, I think I'm done with you.

ari1013
08-29-2008, 01:04 PM
However sexist or even reverse sexist it is, its true. Biden was supposed to be the attack dog, Palin could just take the heat and play innocent, which subverts the norm of Obamas campaign being about 'break partisan politics', or at least in theory.

I gotta say Im thinking this might be an attempt to let Obama take a landslide and hope for a huge conservative blowback to roll around in 2012. In conclussion, Palin is a Milf. That just cant be stated enough.
On that note, take a look at the new theme that McCain's playing. Once again he's trying to come across as the "Outsider."

Wrigleyboy25
08-29-2008, 01:05 PM

Anyway, it looks like the McCain Team is ready to steamroll the message that Palin is a maverick in the same mold as McCain. Let's see if that can bail them out of this mistaken choice.

I really wonder if he asked Romney first and Mitt said no. I've been thinking all along that Mitt would be making a big mistake to sign onto a losing ticket. In 2012 Mitt can come back out to the national stage and say, "see what a mistake you made by nominating McCain and letting Obama win the election."

As an Obama supporter, I'm pretty worried about the above scenario in 2012.
I was kidding.

Eastside Scott
"I know Hillary Clinton, and Sarah Palin is no Hillary Clinton" - Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D - FL)

I kind of had a Dan Quayle tingly feeling running up my leg when I first heard the pick myself, so I can see the reference.

That said, does it seem at least a little sad that Ms. Scultz is pulling out zingers from a failed VP candidate from 1987? May be time to update the old material a little.

ari1013
McCain's a serial cheaters. If I was Cindy, I'd definitely be jealous. (this doesn't have any bearing on his political ability, I'm just pointing it out. It is what it is.)
qft

Soop
08-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Election Center 2008 :shrug:

ari1013
Can you define this please?
you don't question the face. that encourages him to post more often. it's better to let him live in his delusional world ;)

cubsbears1225
Mccain/Palin just took a big dump on Obama's big day yesterday.

b1e9a8r5s
08-29-2008, 01:07 PM
I'm glad Obama did that. That's a fair attack.

I didn't say it wasn't fair. I just think its a slipperly slope for Obama to call out anyone's inexperience.

SmthBluCitrus
08-29-2008, 01:07 PM
I kind of had a Dan Quayle tingly feeling running up my leg when I first heard the pick myself, so I can see the reference.

That said, does it seem at least a little sad that Ms. Scultz is pulling out zingers from a failed VP candidate from 1987? May be time to update the old material a little.

Maybe, but it's also slightly unfair to make a comparison about Hillary and Mrs. Palin strictly on the grounds that they're women.

Wrigleyboy25
08-29-2008, 01:08 PM
qft
Haha, so now she should be jealous? Make up your mind.

redsox12
Both VP picks was made with hard fellings from primary's otherwise it would be this.

McCain/Romney vs Obama/Hilliary

Bosox Believer

Yeah, and it stinks.:D

ink
08-29-2008, 01:13 PM

Listen to CubsGirl. She also had the best line in another thread - the one about "this is why it's stupid to attack the other candidate in the primaries". I think you have a point here too CG. A lot of people cast their vote without looking at any of the issues.

b1e9a8r5s
08-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Well, I think if nothing else, this certainly stole the momentum from the Obama campaign. I'm not sure if it will translate to winning the election, but it stole the headlines.

ari1013
08-29-2008, 01:18 PM
Haha, so now she should be jealous? Make up your mind.
lol well I didn't think about it that way :)

ink
08-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Well, I think if nothing else, this certainly stole the momentum from the Obama campaign. I'm not sure if it will translate to winning the election, but it stole the headlines.

Of course, that's the plan. Headlines evaporate pretty quickly though.

SmthBluCitrus
08-29-2008, 01:19 PM

I'd add "... for the day, maybe the weekend" to the end of your post there. As soon as the GOP Convention is over I think we'll see it go back to Obama and McCain until Palin and Biden debate.

I think it was a shock move for the express purpose of being a shock move. I just don't think this translates well for the next 60 days.

CubsGirl
08-29-2008, 01:20 PM
I do think it was smart of the Republicans to plan for this the day after Obama accepted the nomination. They knew he'd give an electrifying speech, so they wanted to give the news something else to talk about.

I don't like the move, since I would like Obama's speech to get more press, because instead of just saying change, he talked about specifics - what change and how he would fund it, etc. - and I think that it's important that people who are undecided hear it. But it is a smart move.

ari1013
08-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Yeah, for better or worse. As long as people focus on Palin as a conservative that shores up the base, McCain wins.

If the headlines focus on Palin as a questionable pick, McCain is probably worse off than he would have been letting Obama get Friday and Saturday's headlines.

{º¿º}
08-29-2008, 01:21 PM

Yup, and the kool aid drinking cult isn't very happy about it. Notice how some of them here are taking it personal and starting to attack with personal insults.

*chuckles in amusement* :D

...concerning the matter of experience, Biden answers the question of who is inexperienced and unfit to run on a presidental ticket right here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lknTPvH1wSg

ari1013
08-29-2008, 01:21 PM
I do think it was smart of the Republicans to plan for this the day after Obama accepted the nomination. They knew he'd give an electrifying speech, so they wanted to give the news something else to talk about.

I don't like the move, since I would like Obama's speech to get more press, because instead of just saying change, he talked about specifics - what change and how he would fund it, etc. - and I think that it's important that people who are undecided hear it. But it is a smart move.
And also to hide away McCain's birthday, the anniversary of Katrina, and any other ghosts in the GOP closet that happened to occur on 8/29

ink
08-29-2008, 01:22 PM
And also to hide away McCain's birthday, the anniversary of Katrina, and any other ghosts in the GOP closet that happened to occur on 8/29

What ghosts?

BroadwayJoe
08-29-2008, 01:23 PM
is anybody else waiting for palin to rip off her glasses and let down her hair like a porn star? she just has that look. i feel like i've seen her in at least 50-60 pornos before.

ari1013
08-29-2008, 01:24 PM
What ghosts?
Exactly.

ari1013
is anybody else waiting for palin to rip off her glasses and let down her hair like a porn star? she just has that look. i feel like i've seen her in at least 50-60 pornos before.
Post of the year.

FlyersPhanatic9
When I first heard this I said.
"Who the **** is Sarah Palin." And I'm sure millions of others did too.

FlyersPhanatic9
08-29-2008, 01:26 PM

Yup. Something out of like naughty america.

ari1013
08-29-2008, 01:27 PM
When I first heard this I said.
"Who the **** is Sarah Palin." And I'm sure millions of others did too.
Yeah... In a recent Rasmussen poll on all the potential VP choices 69% of those likely voters surveyed had no idea who Sarah Palin was. But of the other 31%, the bulk liked her.

And those are "likely voters." Just imagine the average person.

FlyersPhanatic9
08-29-2008, 01:28 PM
http://wonkette.com/assets/resources/2006/12/Miss%20Wasilla%201984.jpg

Sarah Palin, Beauty Queen, McCain Veep

BroadwayJoe
08-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Yup. Something out of like naughty america.

she seriously looks like the nurse in Road Trip who gives seann william scott a prostate orgasm...

BroadwayJoe
08-29-2008, 01:30 PM
http://wonkette.com/assets/resources/2006/12/Miss%20Wasilla%201984.jpg

Sarah Palin, Beauty Queen, McCain Veep

that btch is topless!

SmthBluCitrus
08-29-2008, 01:31 PM
she seriously looks like the nurse in Road Trip who gives seann william scott a prostate orgasm...

Hilarious!

... but true.

FlyersPhanatic9
08-29-2008, 01:32 PM
that btch is topless!

:nod:

Palin for President!

BroadwayJoe
08-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Hilarious!

... but true.

haha, if the right can harp on obama's middle name and all that irrelevant 'ness, the left should definitely play on the "do you want a porn star for veep" angle

although i'm think that would ultimately help the GOP in the end. if there's one thing this country is united about, it's porn, damnit!

SmthBluCitrus
08-29-2008, 01:37 PM
haha, if the right can harp on obama's middle name and all that irrelevant 'ness, the left should definitely play on the "do you want a porn star for veep" angle

although i'm think that would ultimately help the GOP in the end. if there's one thing this country is united about, it's porn, damnit!

Good point. Best to keep that under wraps.

Rosh
08-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Is the country ready for Tina Fey as VP?

PUGS1688
08-29-2008, 01:42 PM
How much of an impact can this VP really make though? McCain is still running for President.

papipapsmanny
08-29-2008, 01:44 PM
wow what a terrible pick, she is extremely inexperienced he stupidly picked her thinking he could add diversity to get some votes

not a good move at all

Tragic Johnson
08-29-2008, 01:45 PM

That's funny, it reminded me of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nun_-v-zMfc&feature=related

b1e9a8r5s
08-29-2008, 01:47 PM
How much of an impact can this VP really make though? McCain is still running for President.

Yes he is and before the convention, he had closed the gap substaintially in the polls. Obviously, your not a fan, but I would caution you to be too confident about the race. This will be a close race, barring a total blow up.

Bosox Believer
08-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Is the country ready for Tina Fey as VP?

With bodacious CSLs. :clap:

ink
08-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Look how many more people are in the forum right now because of a hot looking VP. The Repubs. know marketing. lol. And marketing has won them the two last elections.

b1e9a8r5s
08-29-2008, 01:48 PM
wow what a terrible pick, she is extremely inexperienced he stupidly picked her thinking he could add diversity to get some votes

not a good move at all

Who else is extremely inexperienced? (Scratching my head)

PUGS1688
08-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Yes he is and before the convention, he had closed the gap substaintially in the polls. Obviously, your not a fan, but I would caution you to be too confident about the race. This will be a close race, barring a total blow up.

I'm not confident about my candidate at all, I know he's not going to win.

redsox12
08-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Obama has the porn star endorsement Paris Helton.

ink
08-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Who else is extremely inexperienced? (Scratching my head)

Before she became governor a couple of years ago, she was mayor of Wasilla (population 5,470). :laugh2: Actually (scratching my head) that doesn't remind me of anyone.

redsox12
08-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Excellent the ad of McCain Palin has already hit PSD.

b1e9a8r5s
08-29-2008, 01:57 PM
Before she became governor a couple of years ago, she was mayor of Wasilla (population 5,470). :laugh2: Actually (scratching my head) that doesn't remind me of anyone.

Haha. I love the irony of the VPs. Obama is for change and new politics, so he selects a guy with 35 years in washington. McCain's running on expierence so he picks someone with very little.

"It's like rain.....on your wedding day"

Uncle Funster
08-29-2008, 02:02 PM

not a good move at all

Wow, what a goofy post. You are extremely inexperienced and thoughtlessly posted thinking you could add ignorance and lose credibility;)

If you knew anything about politics (non-partisan objective political analysis), you would see that this may well have saved the campaign for McCain. It was a brilliant move, albeit with inherent risks, that out-Obama-ed the Dems on several fronts.

ink
08-29-2008, 02:05 PM
^ You're right. She'll fit right in with the starlet thumbnails at the bottom of the Fox News homepage. She'll probably make Entertainment Tonight. I'm not kidding. She'll get the "celebrity" treatment. Seriously, the average disinterested voter will be thrilled ... lol.

Uncle Funster
08-29-2008, 02:06 PM
Haha. I love the irony of the VPs. Obama is for change and new politics, so he selects a guy with 35 years in washington. McCain's running on expierence so he picks someone with very little.

"It's like rain.....on your wedding day"

Now there's a political insight instead of most of the biased rhetoric being slung by idiots who see elections as sporting events with fans rather than an informed constituency.

The true purpose of Obama's VP pick was to add experience while the reasoning behind McCain's choice for that position was to re-open the debate regarding he "change" platform and to show diversity. Thhey both are going to vie seriously for H Clinton's abandoned voting block.

Cubboy
08-29-2008, 02:06 PM

That is amazing. And if I heard correctly, the mayor's gig in Wasilla is only a part time job.

Well, this pick got people talking, which is probably what they wanted to do.

But people talking, scratching their head, and giggling at the same time doesn't quite have the same affect as merely getting people talking.

Uncle Funster
08-29-2008, 02:07 PM
^ You're right. She'll fit right in with the starlet thumbnails at the bottom of the Fox News homepage. She'll probably make Entertainment Tonight. I'm not kidding. She'll get the "celebrity" treatment. Seriously, the average disinterested voter will be thrilled to see an ex beauty queen in the running ... lol. I'd love to see how many hits her photo image gets on google!

She has a more political "chops" than that. Please do some research before posting.

ink
08-29-2008, 02:09 PM
She has a more political "chops" than that. Please do some research before posting.

The average voter will not see past the visual. They won't care. You have to concede that. She's wholesome, pretty and young. There's a trophy wife element to what McCain has done here. It's about imagery. Sage old man, beautiful young wife ... er, running mate. The image of success and vitality. It's shrewd and it will attract a lot of interest in his campaign ... a lot more than the visits to the Old German Haus he was planning before. lol.

And btw, I don't think you have to worry about me doing research! Ask around about my endless research posts.

Uncle Funster
08-29-2008, 02:14 PM
The average voter will not see past the visual. They won't care. You have to concede that. She's wholesome, pretty and young. There's a trophy wife element to what McCain has done here. It's shrewd and it will attract a lot of interest in his campaign ... a lot more than the visits to the Old German Haus he was planning before. lol.

And btw, I don't think you have to worry about me doing research! Ask around about my endless research posts.

You discredit the American voter too much. Especially in this election, the issues will be forefront. The same thing you say about physical appearance could be said about Mrs. Obama, but it hasvery little impact nowadays.

America has gne through a very brutal 8 years and change is required. Obama has thus fr been the candidate that best represents that to the voters. But McCain has swung the pendulum back considerably with his pick of Palin as she represents a fresh, ehtical, reformist, progressive, young, female PoV. It's going to be very interesting from here on in...

Oh, and my apologies for the research comment...

Max Power
08-29-2008, 02:17 PM
That is amazing. And if I heard correctly, the mayor's gig in Wasilla is only a part time job.

Well, this pick got people talking, which is probably what they wanted to do.

But people talking, scratching their head, and giggling at the same time doesn't quite have the same affect as merely getting people talking.

Exactly what I did. Well, almost. I laughed out loud, as opposed to giggling.

Uncle Funster
08-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Exactly what I did. Well, almost. I laughed out loud, as opposed to giggling.

It's unqualified posts like this that makes me think that ink had it right about the low level of the American constituency.:rolleyes:

If ignorance prevails, we will certainly get the president we deserve.

In_Ned_I_Trust
08-29-2008, 02:21 PM
McCain just screwed himself big time, this is even worse than Obama's Biden pick which I didn't think was possible. Oh well congrats komrade Obama.

ink
08-29-2008, 02:22 PM
You discredit the American voter too much. Especially in this election, the issues will be forefront. The same thing you say about physical appearance could be said about Mrs. Obama, but it hasvery little impact nowadays.

America has gne through a very brutal 8 years and change is required. Obama has thus fr been the candidate that best represents that to the voters. But McCain has swung the pendulum back considerably with his pick of Palin as she represents a fresh, ehtical, reformist, progressive, young, female PoV. It's going to be very interesting from here on in...

Oh, and my apologies for the research comment...

I've actually read some horrific stuff about Michelle Obama, about her looks, about her character, about her ideas. I think that did have an impact and may still have an impact. I don't think people are as open minded as you think.

I genuinely hope you're right that America understands the depth of change that's needed. There's a massive desire for change in America from around the world. A lot of us think of the USA as the country that got lost for 10 years. I'm Canadian and I am hoping for America to wake up and be half the country it could be. The Repubs. have totally exhausted my belief in their values. I liked John McCain a lot before he got the Rove character surgery in 2000. You'll have to excuse me if I have absolutely no belief in the sincerity of a party that eviscerates the Maverick, then presents him as the Candidate complete with the same campaign machinery that eviscerated him eight years ago!! After all that, I have also lost a lot of faith in the intelligence of the American voting public. The average person would never even post in an Election forum, or give it more than a few minutes thought before voting.

Uncle Funster
08-29-2008, 02:22 PM
McCain just screwed himself big time, this is even worse than Obama's Biden pick which I didn't think was possible. Oh well congrats komrade Obama.

Please qualify your opinion as to why and who would have been better.

Thanks.

superkegger
08-29-2008, 02:25 PM
It was a risky move, and I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.

I know nothing about her, except for what I've read today.

But from what I can tell, she fits that core conservative mold that McCain doesn't, and which he needs. She's strong anti-abortion and anti-gay marriage. She also is a woman of faith. Those points make her very appealing. She's also obviously a woman, which however you cut it, is going to be intriguing to women voters.

However, the fact that she is young and inexperienced doesn't bode well. That has been one of the foundations of the McCain campaign, experience. It has also been one of their major attacking points on Obama, his inexperience and celebrity status. Now they add the exact same thing to their ticket, which somewhat takes the reputability of that argument from their repetoire.

I think the move was made though to appeal to the core conservaite base though, who have been wavering on McCain and questioning if he truly is conservative enough, which they can't say about Palin. Plus its not like dems can rail her lack on inexperience since Obama has the same problem.

But at this point I really dont know enough about this woman to evaluate more about it...

SmthBluCitrus
08-29-2008, 02:28 PM
She's not quite as strong anti-gay marriage as you might think. She's quite pro-civil unions, which is a stepping stone towards gay marriage. And, she vetoed a bill that would've banned same-sex benefits in the state of Alaska.

Oh, and completely off that subject, she's believed to be a creationist. That should help among the Christian right.

Uncle Funster
08-29-2008, 02:29 PM
I've actually read some horrific stuff about Michelle Obama, about her looks, about her character, about her ideas. I think that did have an impact and may still have an impact. I don't think people are as open minded as you think.

I genuinely hope you're right that America understands the depth of change that's needed. There's a massive desire for change in America from around the world. A lot of us think of the USA as the country that got lost for 10 years. I'm Canadian and I am hoping for America to wake up and be half the country it could be. The Repubs. have totally exhausted my belief in their values. I liked John McCain a lot before he got the Rove character surgery in 2000. You'll have to excuse me if I have absolutely no belief in the sincerity of a party that eviscerates the Maverick, then presents him as the Candidate complete with the same campaign machinery that eviscerated him eight years ago!! After all that, I have also lost a lot of faith in the intelligence of the American voting public. The average person would never even post in an Election forum, or give it more than a few minutes thought before voting.

I find it ironic that a Canadian (I have a great affection for Canada, btw) has a better grasp on the American political landscape than 90% of the jokers who live here.

I agree that the Republican party has eaten its young and destroyed the platform it was supposed to promote. Carl Rove is a horrific person and George Bush has been the greatest political dissappointment in many years. I am not in love with McCain by any measure, but his choice for Veep was brilliant and provocative on many levels.

Tragic Johnson
08-29-2008, 02:31 PM
The average voter will not see past the visual. They won't care. You have to concede that. She's wholesome, pretty and young. There's a trophy wife element to what McCain has done here. It's about imagery. Sage old man, beautiful young wife ... er, running mate. The image of success and vitality. It's shrewd and it will attract a lot of interest in his campaign ... a lot more than the visits to the Old German Haus he was planning before. lol.

Are you saying she's a GILF? :D

It's about imagery, you mean like filling a football stadium for a speech or making your own Presidential emblem?

SmthBluCitrus
08-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Here's a quote from one of my pro-Hillary/anti-Obama friends ... and yes, I have quite a few friends that aren't in the typical liberal Democrat mold.

"How dare you Sarah Palin! You will never be Hillary Clinton!"

abe_froman
Wow, what a goofy post. You are extremely inexperienced and thoughtlessly posted thinking you could add ignorance and lose credibility;)

If you knew anything about politics (non-partisan objective political analysis), you would see that this may well have saved the campaign for McCain. It was a brilliant move, albeit with inherent risks, that out-Obama-ed the Dems on several fronts.

i don't think it's brilliant.it undercuts the "you cant have someone inexperienced running thing argument"that the repub's are using,being that she the veep pick for a presidential candidate(don't like being morbid but..)has a better than average shot of dying in the white house.then you'd have a real possibility of someone inexperienced running things(shock).

but it is a very good move,with making a play for disgruntled hillary supporters.though if they were going that route why not someone like hutchinson;woman,experienced enough so your argument isn't undercut,and a good repub/conservative soldier to make the base happy

In_Ned_I_Trust
Please qualify your opinion as to why and who would have been better.

Thanks.

OK fair enough. Fred Thompson, Mitt Romney even Rudy. They all are nationally known and have 10X the experience of this woman. This was a strictly political move, designed to lure over the Hillary ex-pats. She is from a state that doesn't matter politically, and has voted Republican forever. Which is what makes no sense to me.

superkegger
I find it ironic that a Canadian (I have a great affection for Canada, btw) has a better grasp on the American political landscape than 90% of the jokers who live here.

I agree that the Republican party has eaten its young and destroyed the platform it was supposed to promote. Carl Rove is a horrific person and George Bush has been the greatest political dissappointment in many years. I am not in love with McCain by any measure, but his choice for Veep was brilliant and provocative on many levels.

Rove may be a monster of sorts, but the man is also a brilliant political/campaign strategist. Not that that makes him any less of a horrific person, but he got Bush elected twice(kinda, we all know the debacle of the 2000 election, but that aside), and that's no small feat.

Uncle Funster
08-29-2008, 02:33 PM
It was a risky move, and I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.

I know nothing about her, except for what I've read today.

But from what I can tell, she fits that core conservative mold that McCain doesn't, and which he needs. She's strong anti-abortion and anti-gay marriage. She also is a woman of faith. Those points make her very appealing. She's also obviously a woman, which however you cut it, is going to be intriguing to women voters.

However, the fact that she is young and inexperienced doesn't bode well. That has been one of the foundations of the McCain campaign, experience. It has also been one of their major attacking points on Obama, his inexperience and celebrity status. Now they add the exact same thing to their ticket, which somewhat takes the reputability of that argument from their repetoire.

I think the move was made though to appeal to the core conservaite base though, who have been wavering on McCain and questioning if he truly is conservative enough, which they can't say about Palin. Plus its not like dems can rail her lack on inexperience since Obama has the same problem.

But at this point I really dont know enough about this woman to evaluate more about it...

I agree, but would add that it does a few more things for McCain:

1. Reverses the idea that he was battling against a historical Obama campaign by making history himself (1st female VP on Rep ticket)

2. Re-opens the discussion of who is the "better" candidate of change

3. Courts the 18M Hilary Clinton supporters who feel betrayed by Obama's nomination

4. Appeals to younger voters

In_Ned_I_Trust
08-29-2008, 02:33 PM

Yeah I would.

Uncle Funster
08-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Rove may be a monster of sorts, but the man is also a brilliant political/campaign strategist. Not that that makes him any less of a horrific person, but he got Bush elected twice(kinda, we all know the debacle of the 2000 election, but that aside), and that's no small feat.

Agreed

Tragic Johnson
08-29-2008, 02:35 PM
OK fair enough. Fred Thompson, Mitt Romney even Rudy. They all are nationally known and have 10X the experience of this woman. This was a strictly political move, designed to lure over the Hillary ex-pats. She is from a state that doesn't matter politically, and has voted Republican forever. Which is what makes no sense to me.

It makes sense to me, but it's not going to work.

ink
08-29-2008, 02:37 PM

It's about imagery, you mean like filling a football stadium for a speech or making your own Presidential emblem?

Of course, all of that stuff is imagery. But they didn't pay anyone to attend did they?

Bosox Believer
08-29-2008, 02:38 PM
It's unqualified posts like this that makes me think that ink had it right about the low level of the American constituency.:rolleyes:

What you are failing to see, I believe, is the wet flop that this pick has been to many Republicans. Of course Dems are going to be excited by that.

Coming off the convention, especially last nights speech, we were all waiting to see who McCain would pick and... wait for it... Sarah Palin. Palin? Who the hell is Sarah Palin? Let's look her up... Ooh hottie! Okay what else... hmmm... more pictures... more pictures... mayor of where? Pro-life. Okay, makes sense, except I've never heard of a Hillary supporter being pro-life. Wants to drill in ANWR, but didn't I hear McCain say he didn't want to drill there? More pictures... more pictures (hey, I don't think she is wearing a shirt in that one!) And so forth.

It might not be fair, it is what is. I know it sucks, Dems feel like we've been living in this world for a while now. One thing though, it will only strengthen YOUR opinions, because you will be forced to combat ridiculous claims and falsehoods with fact and substance.

whitesoxfan83
08-29-2008, 02:38 PM

1. Reverses the idea that he was battling against a historical Obama campaign by making history himself (1st female VP on Rep ticket)

3. Courts the 18M Hilary Clinton supporters who feel betrayed by Obama's nomination

the underlying problem with this, altho i like your logic, is that mccains main point throughout this entire process has been that obama is just an inexperienced empty suit and now hes gone out and gotten a less experienced candidate to be one heartbeat away from the presidency.

it helps him in the points you made above, but it hurts him in his greatest argument, which was obama's experience

superkegger
08-29-2008, 02:41 PM

I understand the sentiment that it courts the 18 million Clinton supporters. But I think thats a little false. Like I said before, I'm no expert on Palin, but from the little I've read, she is most definetly republican, and farther right that McCain. If that sentiment is correct, which I think it is, I don't think she appeals to as many hillary supporters as you think.

I know there are a lot of Hillary supporters polling that they might vote for McCain. I don't but that really. Especially with McCain adding a more conservative woman to the ticket, regardless of the fact that he added a woman. Americans as a whole may be mildly politically ********, but most at least are aware of whether they lean left or right, and the fact that Palin leans farther right than McCain won't court those Hillary supporters.

At the end of the day, those hillary supporters dedicated enough to vote will probably vote Obama, because they still would rather have a democrat in office than a republican. I really highly doubt, that come November those people will really still be thinking they want 4 more years of a republican presiedent.

Bosox Believer
08-29-2008, 02:41 PM

P.S. This makes you look really really bad considering that is what Dems were saying in '04, and I think the prevailing opinion is that is correct... We deserve better now, and I believe we WILL get what we deserve.

whitesoxfan83
08-29-2008, 02:42 PM
P.S. This makes you look really really bad considering that is what Dems were saying in '04, and I think the prevailing opinion is that is correct... We deserve better now, and I believe we WILL get what we deserve.

we will get whatever the national media tells us we want

Uncle Funster
08-29-2008, 02:42 PM
What you are failing to see, I believe, is the wet flop that this pick has been to many Republicans. Of course Dems are going to be excited by that.

Coming off the convention, especially last nights speech, we were all waiting to see who McCain would pick and... wait for it... Sarah Palin. Palin? Who the hell is Sarah Palin? Let's look her up... Ooh hottie! Okay what else... hmmm... more pictures... more pictures... mayor of where? Pro-life. Okay, makes sense, except I've never heard of a Hillary supporter being pro-life. Wants to drill in ANWR, but didn't I hear McCain say he didn't want to drill there? More pictures... more pictures (hey, I don't think she is wearing a shirt in that one!) And so forth.

It might not be fair, it is what is. I know it sucks, Dems feel like we've been living in this world for a while now. One thing though, it will only strengthen YOUR opinions, because you will be forced to combat ridiculous claims and falsehoods with fact and substance.
It was clearly a risky move in an effort to jump-start an fairly bland campaign thus far. But the point is that she is a Washington outsider with a reform and anti-corruption background. She will also appeal to women, right wing conservatives and Christian coalitions. And politicas is always about refuting ridiculous claims with facts...

b1e9a8r5s
08-29-2008, 02:44 PM

You just contradicted yourself. You said this is strictly a political move and then knocked it, in part, because she's from a state that doesn't matter pollitically.

Obviously the experience points are valid.

Uncle Funster
08-29-2008, 02:44 PM
the underlying problem with this, altho i like your logic, is that mccains main point throughout this entire process has been that obama is just an inexperienced empty suit and now hes gone out and gotten a less experienced candidate to be one heartbeat away from the presidency.

it helps him in the points you made above, but it hurts him in his greatest argument, which was obama's experience

You are right. It was a calculated risk where the campaign leaders felt is was more important to sacrifice the "experience" argument in order to gain other benefits. It was a trade off and only time will tell if it was a good trade.

Max Power
08-29-2008, 02:45 PM

Whatever. This was an awful choice. A two year governor, with some nice city council experience of a metropolis of almost 6,000. This was done as a lame attempt at pretending to be diverse.

But gaining those 3 electoral votes that Alaska brings is HUGE!

ink

You may not always know if from my posts about American politics but I have a huge affection for the USA. I just had one of the best summers of my life this year, travelling and working in every state up the west coast - LA, San Francisco, Portland, Olympia, Seattle, Olympic Peninsula. I was already interested in the election, but by being in those cities I got a chance to read and hear about the primaries from all different angles.

I agree with you that the VP choice is a smart one. I didn't mean to insinuate that Palin is just an image btw. I'm just saying that I distrust Rove so deeply that I expect that's why the selection was made. Which is as unfair to her as any of the comments Hillary Clinton, Theresa Heinz and Michelle Obama have had to endure. She'll undoubtedly surprise a few people. Hopefully not like Dan Quayle once did though! ;)

SmthBluCitrus
Even if/when McCain/Palin don't win in November, this has thrust her into the national spotlight and has certainly lifted her "star" power. She will become a prominent figure on the national Republican scene for the next 10+ years.

That makes it a good move, even though not necessarily a good move for the immediate future of the McCain campaign.

whitesoxfan83
08-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Whatever. This was an awful choice. A two year governor, with some nice city council experience of a metropolis of almost 6,000. This was done as a lame attempt at pretending to be diverse.

But gaining those 3 electoral votes that Alaska brings is HUGE!

thats the genius of it, because when someone says

oh mccain only picked this person for the women vote and to run on the change campaign and blah blah blah.

all mccain has to say is if he was going to pick a candidate for votes, he wouldnt have picked a candidate from such a small state.

Uncle Funster
08-29-2008, 02:48 PM

We always do. And you made an assumption about my affiliations even though I have expressed no opinions as to my preference of Obama v. McCain. I merely made an objective analysis of a political manuever.

Who looks bad?:p

Eastside Scott
08-29-2008, 02:49 PM

It is a bit of a flop because any "big names" or "superstars" he could have picked were off limits to him. He could have gone with Condi instead but she would "tie him to the Bush Presidency" even more. He could have gone with America's Mayor but that is not OK because he is socially moderate/liberal. He could have even gone with Romney, but he has a "weird" religion.

I think things will get rolling even more for Palin as days go by. She will have a chance to "un-flop" things. If she doesn't, then she doesn't and they are stuck with it.

Uncle Funster
08-29-2008, 02:50 PM
You may not always know if from my posts about American politics but I have a huge affection for the USA. I just had one of the best summers of my life this year, travelling and working in every state up the west coast - LA, San Francisco, Portland, Olympia, Seattle, Olympic Peninsula. I was already interested in the election, but by being in those cities I got a chance to read about the primaries in every one of those cities.

I agree with you that the VP choice is a smart one. I didn't mean to insinuate that Palin is just an image btw. I'm just saying that I distrust Rove so deeply that I expect that's why the selection was made. Which is as unfair to her as any of the comments Hillary Clinton, Theresa Heinz and Michelle Obama have had to endure. She'll undoubtedly surprise a few people. Hopefully not like Dan Quayle once did though! ;)

Thank you for being an itelligent poster. I rarely post in the GD forum becuase of the lack of posters like yourself. Many thanks for restoring my faith in the political discussion forum.:clap:

SmthBluCitrus
08-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Interesting article from Time about the Palin pick.

The Palin Pick: Bold or Disastrous? (http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1837514,00.html)

John McCain's selection of Sarah Palin as his running mate will either turn out to be a brilliant way for the Republican to scramble the race in his favor — or a disastrous pick that is cast as a desperate act.

On the face of it, McCain has failed the ultimate test that any presidential candidate must face in picking a running mate: selecting someone who is unambiguously qualified to be president.

Palin is a talented politician who has both support among conservatives and a compelling personal story. But her short resume in Alaska politics and her nonexistent national track record will make it impossible for McCain to argue with a straight face that she was the most qualified person he could have selected.

(more) (http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1837514,00.html)

superkegger
08-29-2008, 02:52 PM
You may not always know if from my posts about American politics but I have a huge affection for the USA. I just had one of the best summers of my life this year, travelling and working in every state up the west coast - LA, San Francisco, Portland, Olympia, Seattle, Olympic Peninsula. I was already interested in the election, but by being in those cities I got a chance to read about the primaries in every one of those cities.

That's the problem with it in my opinion though, its too much like Dan Quayle. Little known, inexperienced and unprepared for the job. She has only served for 2 years at the Alaskan state level, and before that in a town of 6,000. Obama at least has 8 years at the state level and now 4 in Washington. I didn't realize how little experience she had. The fact that she's had that experience in Alaska is also a negative. Not that Alaska is insignificant, but the demands on the governor of Alaska are much smaller and less prominent than one from a much larger and politically influential state...there's a good reason why she's the first Alaskan to be on the presidential ticket...

Uncle Funster
08-29-2008, 02:55 PM

But her short resume in Alaska politics and her nonexistent national track record will make it impossible for McCain to argue with a straight face that she was the most qualified person he could have selected.

Andrew Jackson, Abraham Lincoln, FDR, Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton...*ahem*

In a change election year, a "non-politician" may be what people are looking for. All I am saying is that it was a huge risk and added some real fire and fun to this election year process.

Its like the addition of the Wild Card in sports playoffs.

hoosiercubsfan
08-29-2008, 02:56 PM

I tend to agree with most of what you have said here. I think one of the big things you are missing is that she has the very distinct possibility of bringing the conservative base back to McCain. McCain is not a conservative by any sense of the word. If he did not find a way to bring the base back he would have gotten slaughtered by Obama in the election. But with him bringing in a conservative it builds a bridge back to the base.

I do not know anything more than what she gave in her speech about her. But she has a husband that is a union member, an impaired child, she has gone after corruption in government, is a fiscal conservative. Man all of that sounds great to me. She will speak to the soccer moms of this country contrary to popular belief not all of these are liberal. She may be able to pull off some of the Hillary supporters but they very well may end up staying home much like the conservative base did this past election. Soon summing it up I am pretty pleased with this pick. I think she has a lot more to offer than she is being given credit for.

Uncle Funster
08-29-2008, 02:59 PM
I tend to agree with most of what you have said here. I think one of the big things you are missing is that she has the very distinct possibility of bringing the conservative base back to McCain. McCain is not a conservative by any sense of the word. If he did not find a way to bring the base back he would have gotten slaughtered by Obama in the election. But with him bringing in a conservative it builds a bridge back to the base.

I do not know anything more than what she gave in her speech about her. But she has a husband that is a union member, an impaired child, she has gone after corruption in government, is a fiscal conservative. Man all of that sounds great to me. She will speak to the soccer moms of this country contrary to popular belief not all of these are liberal. She may be able to pull off some of the Hillary supporters but they very well may end up staying home much like the conservative base did this past election. Soon summing it up I am pretty pleased with this pick. I think she has a lot more to offer than she is being given credit for.

I mentioned those items in earlier posts and it was already listed in the post I was responding to. I was just adding those things to his post.

Eastside Scott
08-29-2008, 02:59 PM
thats the genius of it, because when someone says

oh mccain only picked this person for the women vote and to run on the change campaign and blah blah blah.

all mccain has to say is if he was going to pick a candidate for votes, he wouldnt have picked a candidate from such a small state.

Yeah, the old Delaware/Alaska selections have torn up the old axiom that you should pick a VP from a state you want/need to win. In fact, that is still presumed even though the last 20 years worth of winning VP candidates have been from small and/or set in their voting ways states. Wyoming, Tennessee, Indiana are not exactly Texas, California, Pennsylvania. so really the trend that has been established just continues.

SmthBluCitrus
08-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Andrew Jackson, Abraham Lincoln, FDR, Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton...*ahem*

In a change election year, a "non-politician" may be what people are looking for. All I am saying is that it was a huge risk and added some real fire and fun to this election year process.

Its like the addition of the Wild Card in sports playoffs.

FDR? He was practically a career politician.

Point taken though.

Uncle Funster
08-29-2008, 03:03 PM
FDR? He was practically a career politician.

Point taken though.

He had cabinet posts (mid level), state legislature and gubenatorial experience. But he was a child of politics from the start.

CrippledRam
08-29-2008, 03:04 PM
She asked Alaska's congressional delegation to be more selective in seeking earmarks after Alaska's "Bridge to Nowhere" became a national symbol of piggish pork-barrel spending.

She stood up to the powerful oil industry, and with bipartisan support in the statehouse she won a tax increase on oil companies' profits.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-05-10-4082128881_x.htm

It's going to be difficult (nee impossible) to tie her to "Four More Years" or Big Oil. This is a huge plus to the campaign..

{º¿º}
08-29-2008, 03:06 PM

...so voters should be weary of a VP candidate that has only 2yrs of executive experience more so than a presidential candidate with absolutely no exec experience? ;)

This whole idea that Palin is 'too inexperienced to be VP' reeks of comical hypocrisy and desperation. Further proof that McCain hit one out of the ball park today. :clap:

Just picture the Obamabots shaking their fists and cursing with anger at McCain for knocking over their kool-aid bowl and ruining their afterparty. Bravo!

Bosox Believer
08-29-2008, 03:07 PM
We always do. And you made an assumption about my affiliations even though I have expressed no opinions as to my preference of Obama v. McCain. I merely made an objective analysis of a political manuever.

Who looks bad?:p

Care to declare who you support? The assumption was based on your stance within the post I quoted from. To paraphrase: people are being ignorant about McCain's VP pick, ignorance will get them the negative result according to that ignorance, ergo Obama wins Presidency due to said ignorance.

I doubt many people would see it differently.:confused:

SmthBluCitrus
08-29-2008, 03:07 PM
He had cabinet posts (mid level), state legislature and gubenatorial experience. But he was a child of politics from the start.

That's why I don't understand the connection between him and Palin in a "non-politician" aspect.

Or, am I missing something?

Bosox Believer
08-29-2008, 03:08 PM
It is a bit of a flop because any "big names" or "superstars" he could have picked were off limits to him. He could have gone with Condi instead but she would "tie him to the Bush Presidency" even more. He could have gone with America's Mayor but that is not OK because he is socially moderate/liberal. He could have even gone with Romney, but he has a "weird" religion.

I think things will get rolling even more for Palin as days go by. She will have a chance to "un-flop" things. If she doesn't, then she doesn't and they are stuck with it.

I completely agree.

QuietWyatt
08-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Sounds like a nice ticket to lose come November.

papipapsmanny
08-29-2008, 03:10 PM

ok im not even against mccain but i am now a bit. Obama's VP pick was much better, he added name recognition, and experience in Biden. McCain added inexperience, almost 0 name power, but your trying to say it was brilliant because she is a minority when it comes to politics, is kind of a weak point

As long as Hilary and bill are fully supporting Obama, Palin won't be able to sway away many of those women voters that loved hilary.

And then I am also thinking in the terms of which VP would I feel more comfortable with leading the nation, in case of an unfortunate death of a president, and Palin raises red flags, and Biden looks to be much more ready, and reliable if put in that position.

And from my perspective McCain has lost credibility in my eyes, as it looks like he picked the most diverse VP candadite that he could get, rather than the most qualified

I just dont like the move

SmthBluCitrus
08-29-2008, 03:10 PM
...so voters should be weary of a VP candidate that has only 2yrs of executive experience more so than a presidential candidate with absolutely no exec experience? ;)

This whole idea that Palin is 'too inexperienced to be VP' reeks of comical hypocrisy and desperation. Further proof that McCain hit one out of the ball park today. :clap:

Just picture the Obamabots shaking their fists and cursing with anger at McCain for knocking over their kool-aid bowl and ruining their afterparty. Bravo!

Hey, I was among those same people last December/January that said it wasn't possible for Obama to make it through to the nomination due to his "lack of experience." And, look what happened.

The difference, however, is that he was elected to the position he's now at on a national stage. Palin was placed there.

b1e9a8r5s
08-29-2008, 03:11 PM
That's the problem with it in my opinion though, its too much like Dan Quayle. Little known, inexperienced and unprepared for the job. She has only served for 2 years at the Alaskan state level, and before that in a town of 6,000. Obama at least has 8 years at the state level and now 4 in Washington. I didn't realize how little experience she had. The fact that she's had that experience in Alaska is also a negative. Not that Alaska is insignificant, but the demands on the governor of Alaska are much smaller and less prominent than one from a much larger and politically influential state...there's a good reason why she's the first Alaskan to be on the presidential ticket...

Let's say the ticket for the Dems was reversed, and it was Biden who picked Obama. I think you'd be able to say the "Obama pick" was like Quayle, assuming we didn't spend the last 6 months getting to know Obama. My point being, that a relative unknown doesn't necessarily mean it’s a bad choice.

I think this was a very high risk/high reward pick. If she/they can do a good job of getting her bio out there in a positive way, and she can handle herself in the debates, it could be a home run. Of course there is very little room for error.

Max Power
08-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Spiro Agnew, Dan Quayle, Sarah Palin. Every 20-25 years the Republicans like to try to prove how unimportant the VP really is.

Uncle Funster
08-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Spiro Agnew, Dan Quayle, Sarah Palin. Every 20-25 years the Republicans like to try to prove how unimportant the VP really is.

So unimportant that she is on every major channel in the country...:rolleyes:

ink
08-29-2008, 03:16 PM

That post is so over the top. You're all over the place man. Slow down and give some reasons. I'd like to actually hear what you think, not read the biggest collection of hyperbole you can string together. :) I know you're a smart guy. This post doesn't tell me anything about why you believe these things, or what you have to back yourself up.

Uncle Funster
08-29-2008, 03:17 PM
That's why I don't understand the connection between him and Palin in a "non-politician" aspect.

Or, am I missing something?

No, I am agreeing with you that he probably shouldn't have been on my list in the first place.

In_Ned_I_Trust
08-29-2008, 03:18 PM

You stole that from Bill Burton in an interview from CNN here:

"Experience is being taken off the table considering you're putting someone within a heartbeat of the presidency with the thinnest foreign policy experience in history," spokesman Bill Burton said.

SmthBluCitrus
08-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Let's say the ticket for the Dems was reversed, and it was Biden who picked Obama. I think you'd be able to say the "Obama pick" was like Quayle, assuming we didn't spend the last 6 months getting to know Obama. My point being, that a relative unknown doesn't necessarily mean it’s a bad choice.

I think this was a very high risk/high reward pick. If she/they can do a good job of getting her bio out there in a positive way, and she can handle herself in the debates, it could be a home run. Of course there is very little room for error.

I absolutely agree with your last paragraph. But, as close as everything appears to be (among polling -- which I find distrustful, but that's for another thread) it seems like a really poor pick on the surface. What McCain really needed was somebody that could consolidate his base who is already having a difficult time trusting him. She can help that, so long as the information concerning her is presented in the appropriate manner.

But, it's a huge risk. If they portray her as "too conservative" than an argument can be made about Bush which eliminates the positive aspects of picking up indie voters.

They have to walk a very fine line.

SmthBluCitrus
08-29-2008, 03:19 PM
No, I am agreeing with you that he probably shouldn't have been on my list in the first place.

Ahh ... gotcha. Thank you for clarifying. :D

Max Power
08-29-2008, 03:19 PM
So unimportant that she is on every major channel in the country...:rolleyes:

Yeah. Choosing a good candidate who may have been deemed ready to lead or could have delivered a worthwile state wouldn't have had a chance to make the news channels.

In_Ned_I_Trust
08-29-2008, 03:20 PM
You just contradicted yourself. You said this is strictly a political move and then knocked it, in part, because she's from a state that doesn't matter pollitically.

Obviously the experience points are valid.

I don't like moves based purely on politics, in fact I can't stand our political system, and I don't like the pick at all.

Uncle Funster
08-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Care to declare who you support? The assumption was based on your stance within the post I quoted from. To paraphrase: people are being ignorant about McCain's VP pick, ignorance will get them the negative result according to that ignorance, ergo Obama wins Presidency due to said ignorance.

I doubt many people would see it differently.:confused:

It was a joke, mostly. It is an old addage in American political science...

I have not made up my mind as to whom I will vote for as of yet. I like to continue watching, analyzing and re-visiting the issues, conduct, and (political, ethical, economic, social) and philosophies that each candidate promotes and argues.

Uncle Funster
08-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Yeah. Choosing a good candidate who may have been deemed ready to lead or could have delivered a worthwile state wouldn't have had a chance to make the news channels.

Ah, but the post I was replying to stated that the VP was unimportant. If so, it would not be the major news story of the day. THAT was my point.

papipapsmanny
08-29-2008, 03:25 PM
these debates will be interesting they will have a VP debate right

Uncle Funster
08-29-2008, 03:27 PM
these debates will be interesting they will have a VP debate right

Yes, and that will be the true acid-test of how McCain's choice will pan out. Biden is a street fighter and political animal and will prove to be a huge test for Palin. However, he now has to be careful and temper his attacks to not cross the gender-appropraite lines of dissing a lady while she must not come off as b itchy.

I'm looking forward to it.