PDA

View Full Version : The Fallacy of 'Green Jobs'

b1e9a8r5s
09-10-2008, 12:24 PM
I thought this was an interesting take on the "green jobs" thing. I don't know this author specifically, although I would guess he's on the right, since he's obviously a free trader.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/09/green_jobs.html

SmthBluCitrus
09-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Oh, I bet you know the author ... it's John Stossel, from ABC News. I think he's one of the anchors on 20/20.

I'll have to read the article before I can comment any further. :D

b1e9a8r5s
09-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Oh, I bet you know the author ... it's John Stossel, from ABC News. I think he's one of the anchors on 20/20.

I'll have to read the article before I can comment any further. :D

Hmm, still never heard of him. Can't say I watch 20//20 or any of the network news shows.

ari1013
09-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Hmm, still never heard of him. Can't say I watch 20//20 or any of the network news shows.
I don't watch it, but I know of him. He's one of their top bills on their news team.

SmthBluCitrus
09-10-2008, 12:49 PM
Yea, he's on path to be their next "Peter Jennings," if I'm correct.

hoosiercubsfan
09-10-2008, 01:07 PM
What a great article and to me rings very true. But that is my inner Libertarian coming out in me. I don't want the government creating jobs I want it to be left to the private citizens to do the work. I really wish there was term limits for everyone in government at all levels. That way after their lets say 2 terms they get sent packing and someone else comes in. So hopefully before they are fully corrupted with the power of OUR money that they get to go back home. I love all this talk about taxes and what will be done to raise or lower them. How about we start lowering our expenditures like everyone else in this country has had to do. This is my favorite part of the whole article.

One reason decentralized markets are preferable to government central planning is that human beings are fallible. Mistakes are inevitable. Some investments will be errors. Mistakes in the market tend to be on a comparatively small scale. If one company invests in plug-in hybrids and it goes bust, only a relatively few people suffer. The assets of the bankrupt firm pass into more capable hands.

But decisions by government, especially the federal government, affect all of us. When government makes a mistake, the bureaucracy can't go bankrupt. Instead, it will use its failure to justify increased appropriations in the next budget.

If "green jobs" make so much sense, the market will create them. They will be created by private entrepreneurs and venture capitalists who are eager to profit from winning investments. The best ideas will rise to the top, and green energy will gradually replace coal and oil.

If politicians were serious about creating jobs and cleaner technologies, they would step aside and let the free market go to work.

SmthBluCitrus
09-10-2008, 01:12 PM
I don't think the Obama plan is out to have the government create jobs. I think the plan is based on investing in a market, which (in turn) should create jobs. Again, I haven't read the article, so I don't know what the claim is ... but based on a paragraph early on, it would appear the the Obama plan isn't actually involving government responsibility in job creation.

"I'll invest $150 billion over the next decade in affordable, renewable sources of energy -- wind power and solar power and the next generation of biofuels; an investment that will lead to new industries and five million new jobs that pay well and can't ever be outsourced,"

b1e9a8r5s
09-10-2008, 01:12 PM
EDIT: Disregard, I was impatient.

Good to know, does anyone have any thoughts on the article itself?

SmthBluCitrus
09-10-2008, 01:45 PM
It's an interesting article. Based on my personal philosophy/ideology I tend to disagree with it, but it's not to say that Stossel doesn't make logical points. I'd like to see something more along the lines of a means (or a solution) instead of just pandering to the "tax and spend" rhetoric.

Here's where I think he misses the point. He's making a claim that Obama is going to single-handedly create five million jobs out of thin air. But, this isn't a Works Project solution ala FDR. His plan is akin to a head start. It's strategically investing into green/alternate energy sources because he see's that as the means to our future energy independence. By investing in the market (market based solutions), he is ceding the fact that the market will come up with a reasonable, affordable, and successful path. Obama just wants the government behind it helping to nudge it along.

I'm not against that. It's not about government oversight, it's about giving the market the financial resource so it has the capability to produce the tech.

I'll be able to give more feedback when I get done reading Thomas Friedman's new book "Hot, Flat, and Crowded: Why We Need a Green Revolution and how it can Renew America." Yes, I'm a Friediac.

hoosiercubsfan
09-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Your thoughts sound all fine and swell but the problem is that money will get ciphered away by lobbyists. They are the scourge of Washington and do more to harm Washington than help it.

SmthBluCitrus
09-10-2008, 01:51 PM
But, there's no reason to necessarily assume that out of an Obama administration.

Besides, I'd like see the plan that Obama has on the table implemented than hear anymore "Drill baby, Drill" lines. As for the lobbyists, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

ari1013
09-10-2008, 03:17 PM
I don't think the Obama plan is out to have the government create jobs. I think the plan is based on investing in a market, which (in turn) should create jobs. Again, I haven't read the article, so I don't know what the claim is ... but based on a paragraph early on, it would appear the the Obama plan isn't actually involving government responsibility in job creation.
Well that's not exactly true. Obama wants to create jobs via repairing our national infrastructure -- and that's a good thing.

johnnylee722
09-10-2008, 03:23 PM
I already have a green job... don't have to worry about that lol

SmthBluCitrus
09-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Well that's not exactly true. Obama wants to create jobs via repairing our national infrastructure -- and that's a good thing.

I meant in the green market, specifically.