PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Pritchard

blazers=future
09-02-2008, 02:48 AM
This thread should become a place where all Blazers fans can show their love for Kevin Pritchard and give thanks to a man who has transformed our team. In the space of two years (assistant GM '06 and GM from '07-present) he has moved our team from a bunch of egotistical, inconsistant talents to a loaded team of young stars lead by the best young leader in the NBA, Brandon Roy. Here's a short history of Pritchard's time with the Blazers and a list of the deals which have transformed our team:

Assistant GM
In the 2006 off-season, the team fired Nash, giving Patterson the dual role of GM and president; Pritchard was promoted to assistant general manager where he was involved in the decision making for four significant trades which are often considered to have been favorable to the Blazers:

A deal prior to the 2006 NBA Draft which sent Sebastian Telfair and Theo Ratliff to the Boston Celtics in exchange for the #7 pick in that year's draft and Raef LaFrentz.
A draft-day deal which sent Tyrus Thomas (the team's draft choice at #4) and Viktor Khryapa to the Chicago Bulls in exchange for the #2 pick, LaMarcus Aldridge
A second draft-day deal which sent the #7 pick in the draft, Randy Foye, along with cash considerations, to the Minnesota Timberwolves in exchange for the #6 pick, Brandon Roy. Roy would end up being named Rookie of the Year, and would be selected as an All-Star the following season.
A third draft-day deal in which the team acquired the rights to the #27 pick in the draft, Sergio Rodriguez, from the Phoenix Suns in exchange for cash.

Promotion to general manager:
In 2007, Steve Patterson was fired, and on March 29, Pritchard was named as the team's general manager. In addition to the selection of Greg Oden with the #1 pick in the 2007 NBA Draft, Pritchard orchestrated two more draft-day trades of significance:

The Blazers sent mercurial forward Zach Randolph to the New York Knicks, along with guards Fred Jones and Dan Dickau, in exchange for Steve Francis, Channing Frye, and a trade exception.
The team subsequently used the trade exception to acquire forward James Jones and the rights to the #24 pick in the draft, Rudy Fernandez from the Suns, in exchange for cash.

In 2008, through the draft Pritchard added Jerryd Bayless (selected 11th overall) and Ike Diogu in exchange for the rights to Brandon Rush (#13 pick), Jarrett Jack and Josh McRoberts. Young French small-forward Nicholas Batum was also a draft day acquisition.

Let us all thank Kevin Pritchard and his coverted "pritch-slap"!

A.Mopp
09-02-2008, 05:10 PM
He is a great GM. Perhaps the best in the league?

Beno7500
09-04-2008, 01:26 AM
Geoff Petrie > Pritchard

A.Mopp
09-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Geoff Petrie > Pritchard

Defiantly not

actually ALL other NBA GM's > Petrie

Hustla23
09-04-2008, 04:07 PM
lol I'd say he's easily the best GM in the league. Joe Dumars could give him a run for his money though.

blackjack_119
09-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Defiantly not

actually ALL other NBA GM's > Petrie

Petrie is a good GM. He has been doing it for a while and hasn't had any horrible decisions. Plus he pulled off the Webber trade which was quite a coup.

Pritchard has done a fantastic job. He appears to be the winner on every trade he has made and is clearly the best GM on draft day. That being said, I think the true determination of his abilities as a GM will be determined in the next 2-3 years as we see how capable he is of keeping this team together.

kanersen
09-04-2008, 04:44 PM
pritchard's manouverings on draft day alone earn him the right to be considered in the 'best gm discussion'

now granted, most gm's don't have an owner willing to spend 2-3 mill a draftpick to buy multiple first round draft pick's each year, but pritchard does, and he has made full use of it to obtain quality assets

and i would say petrie is a solid gm, but his drafting has been somewhat lackluster

besides martin, who exactly have they drafted and kept that have developed

i find his last 2 drafts to be very subpar

ragee
09-06-2008, 11:59 PM
He is the best right now! Anyone who disagrees, prove the blazer fans wrong then... It is true that having Paul Allen as the owner has a definite upside to it! LOL

kanersen
09-07-2008, 02:08 AM
Sure

you cannot be deemed the best GM in the NBA if your team has not even made the playoffs yet let alone a significant run

much like his team, Pritchard has all the pedigree and talent, but he is yet to be proven

you cannot be deemed 'the best' based on potential
what good is talent if you haven't even seen the results materialize

ragee
09-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Sure

you cannot be deemed the best GM in the NBA if your team has not even made the playoffs yet let alone a significant run

much like his team, Pritchard has all the pedigree and talent, but he is yet to be proven

He is not a player. He could not play and win it for them. You can't say that the Lakers' gm is the best because he got Kobe and the Grizzlies gave away Gasol. You can't say that the Bulls has the best gm before because they got Jordan. It is not the gm who is great. It's the player. All a gm can do are put up a good team with the available resources and manage that team well. I think Pritchard has done great on those aspects.

kanersen
09-07-2008, 10:30 PM
again
how do you know a team is good if they don't perform
a GM is ultimately responsible for putting together a 'winning' unit as much as the players

Tblaze
09-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Well a gm has to bring together a package of quality/potential players... and the coach must try to reach that potential and let them play like a team...

I think Kevin did a great job assembling talent in this case..

blueandteal
09-09-2008, 12:31 AM
Sure

Agreed. It looks like he's done a fantastic job, but until the team amounts to anything you can't call him the best GM or whatever. Every player could flop this year! That's why the games are played.

If the Blazer's play up to all of our expectations, THAT's when he enters the discussion. My opinion anyway.

ragee
09-10-2008, 04:02 AM
again
how do you know a team is good if they don't perform
a GM is ultimately responsible for putting together a 'winning' unit as much as the players

Yes, winning is one way to measure how great a gm is. However, there are also other factors involved. The things that he did can make him qualify as one of the best right now. Even if you are the best gm, it does not mean you will win a championship. You need good players and good staffs. Are you a Kobe fan? Let me ask you this: Was Kobe not a great player 2 seasons ago where he scored 81 points against the Raptors because his team sucked and they were not able to get through the first round? Should we consider Barkley and Malone as one of the 50 greatest players? How many championship did they win? None.

Like Pritchard, those people have not been known for being great because of the overall accomplishment of the team. They were great because of what they did for the team. Yes, we have not seen the results of what Pritchard did for this team but his effort alone is enough to consider him one of the best if not the best gm right now.

kanersen
09-10-2008, 08:26 AM
oh i agree, pritchard should be considered among the best gm's in the NBA, no doubt about that, i just don't think he should be considered THE BEST gm in the NBA until his team has won something other then the draft lottery

and no, winning the NBA championship is not required for him to be considered in the best GM conversation, a mid seed playoff ranking (4-6) and a perenial playoff presence would constitute that with the young rotation portland has

ragee
09-10-2008, 01:51 PM
oh i agree, pritchard should be considered among the best gm's in the NBA, no doubt about that, i just don't think he should be considered THE BEST gm in the NBA until his team has won something other then the draft lottery

and no, winning the NBA championship is not required for him to be considered in the best GM conversation, a mid seed playoff ranking (4-6) and a perenial playoff presence would constitute that with the young rotation portland has

Fine. Good enough. Lol. Lets just talk about this next season so we'll see if the Blazers can make it this season.