PDA

View Full Version : Geoff Jenkins

Brewersin08
08-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Just throwing this out there. He currently tops the Brewers all-time home run leader list, and was the face of this franchise from about 97-2004. He was without a doubt the best player on the team during the dark ages and was basically the highlight of a trip to Milwaukee for me when I was a young kid. Plus he was a fan favorite that everyone loved. I think that the Brewers should retire his number 5 when he retires from baseball, whenever that is. I know I'll probably get bashed for this, but that is my opinion.

OnWisconsin2007
08-25-2008, 07:42 PM
I really like Geoff. I got his autograph before a game once, and I asked him "Are you going to hit a walk-off HR today?" (I was a lot younger) and he said "I hope it doesn't have to come to that". He was like 0-5 that day. Oh well, Jenkins is a great guy though.

brewersfan729
08-25-2008, 07:45 PM
No way. You retire the numbers of special players. Jenkins, while above average in his time here was not a special player.

Brewersin08
08-25-2008, 07:47 PM
No way. You retire the numbers of special players. Jenkins, while above average in his time here was not a special player.

He was the closest thing we had to a "special" player since the days of Yount and Molitor.

Segway2_89
08-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Yes the closest thing not actually the thing. That would be just retiring a number to retire it. I at first didn't like him at all when i was younger but he grew on me fast as I started to appreciate his great arm in the outfield and great overall D. But he is not worthy of having his number retired just based on the fact he was a fan favorite for many years.

brewersfan729
08-25-2008, 08:00 PM
He was the closest thing we had to a "special" player since the days of Yount and Molitor.

Closest thing doesn't make him special. He was an above average corner outfielder for most of his time here. Nothing more. Nothing less. Certainly not somebody whose number you retire.

Brewersin08
08-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Yes the closest thing not actually the thing. That would be just retiring a number to retire it. I at first didn't like him at all when i was younger but he grew on me fast as I started to appreciate his great arm in the outfield and great overall D. But he is not worthy of having his number retired just based on the fact he was a fan favorite for many years.

The Yankees retired Mattingly's number. He wasn't "special". But everyone loved him while he was there.

Brooke
08-25-2008, 08:11 PM
he was a great player but I dont think of him as someone whose number should be retired

brewersfan729
08-25-2008, 08:39 PM
[/B]

The Yankees retired Mattingly's number. He wasn't "special". But everyone loved him while he was there.

Mattingly played his entire career with the Yankees and finished with a career OBP over .400.

Itztheshiznt
08-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Please take him back!

AirJordanXVIII
08-25-2008, 10:42 PM
We'll give you guys Jenkins for....... um

Just take him.

BaRRySandAmaN
08-25-2008, 11:10 PM
Nope he doesnt have that kind of status in my mind to get his Number Retired

Brewersin08
08-25-2008, 11:53 PM
We'll give you guys Jenkins for....... um

Just take him.

How long is his contract with Philly? I wouldn't mind seeing him back in a Brewers uniform as a back up outfielder. For the right price. I think eventually he will return as a coach of some sort if not a player.

long ball
08-26-2008, 12:06 AM
Retire Velario De Los Santos while you're at it. Or maybe Wes Obermueller.

brewersfan729
08-26-2008, 12:18 AM
Retire Velario De Los Santos while you're at it. Or maybe Wes Obermueller.

I say Ruben Quevedo because he kind of has the same shape as the old Beer-Barrel guy.

Dcup
08-26-2008, 09:05 AM
[/B]

Mattingly also won an MVP in '85 and won 9 gold gloves. He was also a lifetime .307 hitter. Point made.

spazzmccrory
08-26-2008, 10:43 AM
Ummmmmmmmm No!

brewcrew2009
08-26-2008, 11:51 AM
can we retire Lyle Mouton and Jared Fernandez too? I love jenkins, but, he just wasn't a player worth retiring his number.

Martz
08-26-2008, 05:37 PM
No way. If they won't retire guys like Cecil Cooper and Ben Oglavie, Don Sutton, even Gorman Thomas then no way they retire Geoff. Love the guy...but he doesn't deserve it.

Martz
08-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Just throwing this out there. He currently tops the Brewers all-time home run leader list, and was the face of this franchise from about 97-2004. He was without a doubt the best player on the team during the dark ages and was basically the highlight of a trip to Milwaukee for me when I was a young kid. Plus he was a fan favorite that everyone loved. I think that the Brewers should retire his number 5 when he retires from baseball, whenever that is. I know I'll probably get bashed for this, but that is my opinion.

He's second behind Yount.

Segway2_89
08-27-2008, 12:00 AM
[/B]

And I dont think his number should be retired either.

Segway2_89
08-27-2008, 12:03 AM
Isn't Ted Simmon said to be a player that is an HOF snub. I'm not sure on that thought I heard he is one of the tops guys that should be in that isn't. If thats the case he should be retired over Jenkins

Brewersin08
08-27-2008, 12:29 AM
Isn't Ted Simmon said to be a player that is an HOF snub. I'm not sure on that thought I heard he is one of the tops guys that should be in that isn't. If thats the case he should be retired over Jenkins

Yes he certainly should be in the HOF. Simmons, Cooper, and Sutton should be retired. For sure Simmons. Sutton only played a couple of years here but was a big time contributor to that '82 team.

EC Raider
08-27-2008, 12:39 PM
I think Jenkins was maybe a bit above average during stretches, but I never thought he was great. Way too many times he struck out with those windmill swings in big spots. I really did like him though...he never griped and went out everyday. Not worthy of getting his number retired though.

meandering
08-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Jenkins whole career starts as a defensice corner outfielder. He showed that he can play both. He was also supposed to be a good hitter. That fact is debatable. Did he make other players around better? Defensively I am sure he did, but in the batting line up......no.
All the other names mentioned, Yount, Molitor, Sutton, Thomas, and especially Simmons.....not only played well themselves, made others on their team better!

Simmons was a switchitting catcher who not only called a good game but, impacted it with his bat as well! Simmons could have his jersey retired and it wouldn't bother me. He values his time with Milwaukee over his time with the Cards.

Smithy04
08-27-2008, 08:33 PM
He was a great player for us and I'm very happy for everything he did for Milwaukee and all the dedication he had to us, but he just doesn't make that cut with players like Yount and Aaron.

(I would allow him to come back for about $3 million a year, but he would'nt accept such a "low contract" for him).

brewersfan729
08-28-2008, 12:10 AM
All the other names mentioned, Yount, Molitor, Sutton, Thomas, and especially Simmons.....not only played well themselves, made others on their team better!

I'd love to hear the reasoning behind this. Was it because they cheered for their teammates extra hard in the dugout or on the bases?

Honestly, the quoted statement is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. How exactly does one make others on his team better as a hitter when it's an individual matchup between the pitcher and hitter?

CubsGirl
08-28-2008, 12:33 AM
Geoff Jenkins is nowhere near the cailber of player that Molitor, Yount, Aaron, and Fingers were. They're all Hall of Famers for a reason. The only hall of fame Jenkins sees is either the "windmill" hall of fame or the "baseball player that swings like a golfer" hall of fame.

If Ben Sheets were to finsih out his career as a Brewer and put together a good string of healthy seasons with good numbers then you can retire the 15. He's about the only guy that has any chance as of right now. Braun and the rest of the boys have a lot of baseball to play yet. When you do retire the 15 you gotta put Cooper into the mix to and retire it as Sheets/Cooper to honor both.
Eh, even then I don't know. I sincerely doubt we retire Zambrano's number, and they're somewhat similar pitchers.

I definitely think that retired numbers should be saved for someone who wouldn't just be a HoFer for your team, but someone who would be considered an elite player on any team for probably 90% of the duration of his career. So not only is Sheets probably not that type of player, but he's also not far enough into his career to determine that - which isn't saying he's not good, but if you retired the number for every players at Sheets' level in baseball's history, there probably wouldn't be a whole hell of a lot of numbers. I'd say a player like Pujols or A-Rod/Jeter are the only players who are in their early 30s or younger who you can say that about yet (and even then I'm not sure, partially because I doubt a team with as many retired numbers as the Yankees (16!) would do many more (they've retired almost every signle digit number) and retire them so close to one another, assuming A-Rod and Jeter retire within 5ish years of one another)

I think the Cubs are one of the teams that do it right by RARELY retiring numbers. Throughout the entire 100+ years of the franchise, they've only retired four numbers. In comparison, like I already said, the Yankees have retired 16, including almost all the single digit numbers.

This post was waaaaay longer than I thought it would be :laugh2:

favre_4life
08-28-2008, 01:17 AM
You people are insane! Geoff Jenkins, really? He is was and always will be AWFUL! What a joke. Retire his number! Really?

favre_4life
08-29-2008, 01:26 PM
nicely said

bucksbeat
08-30-2008, 02:14 AM
I think Jenks himself would tell you he doesn't deserve his number retired.

With that said, I love the guy. The potential was always exciting, his defense was fun to watch, you rooted for him to stay healthy and saw his class when he took out a full page article in the Journal when the Brewers declined his option, thanking the fans for the memories.

He's definitely a guy that is welcome to come back to Milwaukee in the future and stay here in some capacity for a long time.