PDA

View Full Version : Official "What Will Sakic Do?" Thread**Update JOE SIGNS!!**

T.O.Bombinators
08-11-2008, 06:48 PM
man well he said itll be around 2 weeks till he decides what hes gonna do

if he had decided earlier we couldve went after hossa if he wanted to retire but ive heard more and more that sundin could come here with sakic and foppa is friends with him and hes been loking good so mabye this is all for the best

T.O.Bombinators
08-11-2008, 06:52 PM
from hockeybuzz blog

On Sundin and Sakic...
An agent dealing with some of the teams involved but not linked directly tells me that he believes the teams involved have been told something as to a timeline adding "All is not as quiet as it appears, and a major announcement WILL take place in the next 7-10 days that will define Sundin's future." He also added, "However I dont think the teams have the slightest idea what team he will pick."

From a team person:

"Sundin is playing this year in the NHL, however we have yet to see the scope of the bidding at this point. Since Sundin's statement in early July, many more teams are in the game. He is a high powered addition and certain teams do believe he is the missing piece."

And a former player who played with Sundin and Sakic added:

"Look out for Colorado with Mats. I am not convinced that Sakic and Sundin aren't talking or in on something together."

they are rumors but im pretty pumped to see that happen

T.O.Bombinators
08-12-2008, 04:18 PM
While no firm date has been set, future hall of famer Joe Sakic says he's getting closer to making a decision on whether to play another season or retire.

"I needed some extra time this year," Sakic told Denver's "FM Sports Radio 104.3 The Fan". "It's been a very, very difficult decision to make. I'm hoping to have something here in the next couple of weeks, make my final decision and go forward with it."

Sakic said he's been staying in contact with Colorado's general manager Francois Giguere and new head coach Tony Granato.

"When I talked to Francois in June, we both understood that the team was going to go forward, regardless of what my decision was going to be, and that enabled me to take as much time as I could," Sakic said. "Right now, I know training camp's approaching rapidly. Summer's gone by pretty fast. I'm going to make my decision here pretty shortly."

Sakic missed 38 games in 2007-08 due to hernia surgery, but still recorded 40 points in 44 games.

"The sports hernia could happen to anybody at any age," he said. "It just happened. . . But after the surgery, I felt good. I was prepared. It was a long rehab. Rehabbing for three months wasn't a lot of fun, so it didn't make last season very exciting for me. Right around a couple of weeks before playoff time, I really started to get my legs back and feeling like I was playing back to my old self. So that hasn't really weighed on anything."

In 19 NHL seasons, the Burnaby, B.C. native has recorded 623 goals and 1,006 assists in 1,363 career NHL games, scored 50 goals twice, registered at least 100 points in six different seasons and raised the Stanley Cup twice.

tsn

avsman05
08-12-2008, 07:43 PM
this would be amazing if we could pull both sundin and sakic i would definately be happier about their offseason

T.O.Bombinators
08-12-2008, 08:04 PM
me 2...then who car4es about our goalie situation

avsman05
08-12-2008, 08:13 PM
ya exactly doesnt matter if we are outscoring the opposition

T.O.Bombinators
08-13-2008, 12:56 AM
still got better goaltending then tampa

avsman05
08-13-2008, 12:59 PM
still got better goaltending then tampa

:speechless:

T.O.Bombinators
08-13-2008, 04:43 PM
ill take budaj over smith anyday

avsman05
08-13-2008, 09:45 PM
ya me too im just speechless that any team would have worse goaltending.

bhussey89
08-16-2008, 03:31 AM
guys.. guys,.. yeah sundin would be great to have on our team, you need to think of salary cap though, forsberg sundin and forsberg? those 3 would have to take huge pay cuts and u know what forsy is like as sweet as it would be and as sweet as our division title sounds havin the 3 of them.. it not legit boys like we cant afford them.. and just about other threads and stuff.. if we did have those 3 and even if its just the sakic/forsberg connection on the ice.. raycroft/bud will do fine, personally i feel raycroft is going to start and his career is going to come right back cuz he actually has a legit team infront of him

T.O.Bombinators
08-16-2008, 03:48 PM
ur never to young to dream..btw i think u mean sakic sundin and foppa but ive read that mats might accept a 2M offer from the Rangers and foppa might wanna come back cheap and sakics a team guy so u never know but u can dream

downsos
08-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Sakic is going to get that same itch that Favre had when he was walking around the house and didn't know what to do when he was used to being in workouts. Sakic WILL return!

ksneil2000
08-18-2008, 01:39 PM
ill take budaj over smith anyday

i would so much rather mike smith then peter budaj
smith was the best backup goalie in the league..the stars were considering trading marty turco to start him
he'll be a star in this league

T.O.Bombinators
08-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Joe Sakic is scheduled to speak at a news conference Thursday before his charity golf tournament at Sanctuary in Sedalia, but there is no guarantee that the Avalanche captain will announce whether he will play a 20th NHL season or retire.

His Winnipeg-based agent, Don Baizley, on Monday said that Sakic "still is trying to make up his mind."

Baizley added, "The hang up is whether Joe's up for the task. He sets the bar pretty high and he needs to make sure he's up for the task."

Sakic isn't under contract to the Avalanche and as an unrestricted free agent technically can field offers from other teams, but it isn't expected that he would consider any options other than re-signing with Colorado or hanging up his skates.

Sakic's Celebrity Classic on Thursday benefits the Food Bank of the Rockies' children programs.

Baizley also represents Peter Forsberg, who returned to the Avalanche late last season and continued to battle injuries as he went in and out of the lineup.

"Peter would like to play if his foot problems are solved, and he's checking away at that," Baizley said of Forbserg, who recently has been skating in Sweden.

Avalanche veterans are to report for physicals on Sept. 19, then begin skating in training camp the next day.
dp

fins08
08-25-2008, 08:45 PM
I think he will retire.

Snipeshow
08-25-2008, 08:50 PM
He'll come back halfway through training camp, then put up 30 goals this year.

T.O.Bombinators
08-25-2008, 09:13 PM
sure hope so if not wolski hensick and jones need to really step up with budaj/raycroft

Snipeshow
08-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Sakic is scheduled to speak at a press conference on Thursday. No word which way he's leaning though.

T.O.Bombinators
08-26-2008, 08:45 PM
yes i believe that was on the first page of this thread or somewhere in the forum.but it was also believed it might be about his charity golf tourney which is odd cuz he hasnt had a press confrence b4 for it

Snipeshow
08-26-2008, 08:50 PM
yes i believe that was on the first page of this thread or somewhere in the forum.but it was also believed it might be about his charity golf tourney which is odd cuz he hasnt had a press confrence b4 for it

Yeah, that's exactly why it's noteworthy. We'll know what's going on with him in just a few days:)

T.O.Bombinators
08-26-2008, 08:50 PM
better then sundin

T.O.Bombinators
08-27-2008, 03:47 PM
With the start of NHL training camp around the corner, the Colorado Avalanche got some welcome news on Wednesday.

The team announced that unrestricted free agent centre Joe Sakic signed a one-year deal.

"I am happy to announce the signing of Joe Sakic to a one-year contract," said Avalanche Executive Vice President and General Manager Francois Giguere. "Our entire organization is very excited to have Joe back for another season. As the only captain of the Avalanche, his record of achievement speaks for itself. Having him return is great for our franchise and community, but also for the game of hockey."

The 19-year NHL veteran has played his entire career with the Avalanche/Nordiques franchise.

"Ultimately it came down to the fact that I still enjoy playing and competing," said Sakic. "I'm comfortable with my conditioning and my overall health. I'm ready for the start of camp and am looking forward to the upcoming season."

Sakic only played in 44 games last season because of hernia surgery, but still managed to score 13 goals and 27 assists.

The two-time Stanley Cup champion has 623 goals and 1006 assists in 1363 career games.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=247711&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_nhl

T.O.Bombinators
08-27-2008, 03:53 PM
he will make $6M

dp

downsos
08-27-2008, 05:36 PM
Thank God that Sakic is back, does anyone know where this puts us with the cap?

T.O.Bombinators
08-27-2008, 06:12 PM
we have around 6M left

T.O.Bombinators
08-27-2008, 06:15 PM
actually 6.75M with a couple spots that will probably be filled by hensick and jones so after they make the team itll be around 5.5

downsos
08-28-2008, 12:32 AM
^ That's good

T.O.Bombinators
08-28-2008, 01:41 AM
room for foppa and trade deadline

R8R4LIFE
08-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Wonderful news!

TO - Your sig is f'n awesome!

JohnCoddx
08-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Sakic got at least one more year left in him. Awesome news. If Razor or Budaj regain their form, this team is going to shock a lot of people.

T.O.Bombinators
08-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Wonderful news!

TO - Your sig is f'n awesome!

thanks man

ps u guys should come check out the forum more often

T.O.Bombinators
08-28-2008, 03:18 PM
As part of my duties at The Hockey News, one of the features I am responsible for is the popular “Two Minutes in the Box” interview, something the magazine has done in some form for decades.

I’ve been conducting these interviews for nearly three years and have learned that some questions barely need to be asked anymore.

Favorite TV show? 24.

What do you like to do on team flights? Watch 24 on a portable DVD player.

Favorite movie? Shawshank Redemption or Gladiator.

The one question I haven’t asked in a while is “which NHLer do you admire the most?” When I did, the answer was almost always Joe Sakic. Like, 90 percent of the time.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/17681-THNcom-Blog-Sakics-return-worth-the-wait.html

IBleedPurple
08-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Great news with Sakic. I think we have a chance to be a top 5 team in the West this year, depending on goalies like everyone else has said.

I think a lot of people are overlooking our defenseman. We have 6 solid defenseman, enough to let Jeff Finger go elsewhere.

While I really wanted another cup for Joe, I don't expect it this year.....but you never know what could happen......Maybe a terrorist attack in the Red Wings locker room :smoking:

T.O.Bombinators
08-28-2008, 06:31 PM
or a mysterious anthrax attack