PDA

View Full Version : Rudy Fernandez

Big Jim Stud
08-10-2008, 05:04 AM
Portland Trailblazer, Rudy Fernandez leads Spanish basketball team to victory over Greece.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/basketball/results

Nice job Rudy! This kid is athletic and can shoot the lights out.

Big Jim Stud
08-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Basketball - MenMen's Basketball Group B - Game 2
Sun Aug 10 2:30am EDT
Basketball - Men's Basketball Group B - Game 2 Country Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Pts

Flag of GRE 16 13 17 20 66
Flag of ESP 20 15 27 19 81
Basketball - Men's Basketball Group B - Game 2 Box ScoreCountry Athlete FG 3Pt FT Off Reb Ast Stl BS Pts

Flag of GRE Vasileios Spanoulis
6 - 11 1 - 4 2 - 5 0 3 1 2 0 15
Dimitrios Diamantidis
6 - 8 2 - 4 0 - 1 0 2 3 0 0 14
Nikolaos Zisis
4 - 9 1 - 3 1 - 4 1 2 0 0 0 10
Panagiotis Vasilopoulos
3 - 7 2 - 4 1 - 2 1 2 2 1 0 9
Antonios Fotsis
3 - 7 1 - 3 0 - 0 3 7 0 0 0 7
Theodoros Papaloukas
1 - 6 0 - 1 3 - 3 0 1 1 1 0 5
Ioannis Bourousis
0 - 2 0 - 0 3 - 4 1 2 0 1 0 3
Sofoklis Schortsanitis
1 - 2 0 - 0 0 - 3 1 4 0 0 1 2
Konstantinos Tsartsaris
0 - 2 0 - 1 1 - 2 1 8 1 0 0 1
Georgios Printezis
0 - 0 0 - 0 0 - 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Andreas Glyniadakis
Michail Pelekanos
Totals: 24 - 54 7 - 20 11 - 24 8 31 8 5 1 66
Country Athlete FG 3Pt FT Off Reb Ast Stl BS Pts

Flag of ESP Rodolfo Fernandez
5 - 9 2 - 3 4 - 4 1 2 1 1 1 16
Jose Manuel Calderon
5 - 8 2 - 5 1 - 1 1 4 1 1 1 13
Pau Gasol
4 - 8 0 - 1 3 - 4 2 7 0 0 0 11
Ricard Rubio
2 - 4 1 - 2 2 - 2 0 1 1 0 1 7
Juan Carlos Navarro
2 - 7 1 - 3 2 - 2 0 0 2 0 0 7
Marc Gasol
2 - 6 0 - 0 3 - 4 3 4 1 0 0 7
Carlos Jimenez
2 - 3 0 - 0 2 - 2 1 5 0 0 2 6
Alex Mumbru
1 - 1 1 - 1 2 - 2 0 5 1 1 0 5
Felipe Reyes
1 - 3 0 - 0 2 - 2 0 4 1 0 0 4
Bernardo Rodriguez
1 - 4 0 - 2 1 - 2 2 3 2 2 0 3
Jorge Joaquin Garbajosa
1 - 4 0 - 1 0 - 0 0 3 0 0 1 2
Raul Lopez
0 - 1 0 - 0 0 - 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Totals: 26 - 58 7 - 18 22 - 25 10 38 10 5 6 81

A.Mopp
08-10-2008, 02:19 PM
:clap: rudy!!!

Here is his stat line

Athlete FG 3Pt FT Off Reb Ast Stl BS Pts
Fernandez 5 - 9 2 - 3 4 - 4 1 2 1 1 1 16

Hustla23
08-11-2008, 12:02 AM
:clap: rudy!!!

Here is his stat line

Athlete FG 3Pt FT Off Reb Ast Stl BS Pts
Fernandez 5 - 9 2 - 3 4 - 4 1 2 1 1 1 16

Very solid.

A.Mopp
08-12-2008, 10:36 PM
All i have to say is OH MY!!! Rudy is amazing

I was watching the Spain vs China Game, Rudy was awesome. He gets to the rim so easy and is always at the rim, even if he doesn't have the ball. This was the first i saw him that was not on youtube, and i was very impressed.

SAVAGE CLAW
08-12-2008, 10:54 PM
I hope mcmillan understands how good he is and dont goes Sergio on him.

He is not the best defender in the world, but man there are a lot of starters out there in the nba who do not deffend.

A.Mopp
08-13-2008, 02:44 AM
Mcmillan is coaching the US team. He will get to see Rudy up close and personal. Then he will know what he has to look forward to.

ragee
08-14-2008, 01:17 AM
He'll get to prove himself in Portland... Roy has a knee injury... I hope its nothing serious... Rudy should take advantage of that...

Dawson8
08-14-2008, 01:34 PM
What did I tell you guys? He is going to fight for a starting spot with the blazers and I wouldn't be suprised if he won it. Saturday will be his day to prove his worth against NBA players and coaches!

A.Mopp
08-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Why do people think that Rudy is going to start? It is not gonna happen! He is not going to push Roy to the bench and he is WAY to skinny to play SF. 185 lbs is not going to get you anywhere at the SF position.

Why is it such a problem to come off the bench? Manu is the 6th man and he plays most of the game. Rudy is going to be fine off the bench.

Hustla23
08-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Rudy is no Manu. Manu plays very solid defense (even though most of it is flopping lol jk.) I hope I can say the same for Rudy come gameday.

SAVAGE CLAW
08-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Well, cant Roy play some three?

Or some one? i think he has done it before.

In the end it would be benefitial to allow bouth to shine, The more they do the more they will be worth to other team.

A.Mopp
08-15-2008, 12:43 AM
Rudy would struggle at the 3. He is only 185 lbs and would have trouble guarding the typical NBA SF. He is a SG and i have no problem with him coming off the bench

ragee
08-15-2008, 12:06 PM
What did I tell you guys? He is going to fight for a starting spot with the blazers and I wouldn't be suprised if he won it. Saturday will be his day to prove his worth against NBA players and coaches!

Dude, I know you love Rudy so much... I like him too but when Roy is healthy, there is no way he can get the starting spot... Roy is the best player in the team right now... It may be Oden in the future but right now, it is Roy... Plus, Roy is a great passer... Something that can compensate for Bayless' lack of play making skills... He can play PG in offense and then play SG in defense so there will be no holes in the Blazers' lineup...

jnb58
08-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Rudy can play the point as well as the 2. His D in the NBA will be good. FIBA ball is so much more physical than the NBA. He will be just fine.

As for Rudy not starting, he is and will be better than Bayless (who everyone believes can start in time and shouldn't). This guy is a European phenom. He isn't better than Manu YET.

Roy is better than Rudy but these guys are BOTH tall combo guards. I think having 2 good combo guards is as good as having 1 good point and 1 good 2. Maybe better.

They can play at the same time.

A.Mopp
08-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Dude, I know you love Rudy so much... I like him too but when Roy is healthy, there is no way he can get the starting spot... Roy is the best player in the team right now... It may be Oden in the future but right now, it is Roy... Plus, Roy is a great passer... Something that can compensate for Bayless' lack of play making skills... He can play PG in offense and then play SG in defense so there will be no holes in the Blazers' lineup...

I just want to make it clear the Bayless has no issues with playmaking. In fact that is one of his strenghts. He can get to the rim with ease. His problem is PG skills, but that is why we have Roy.

Dawson8
08-15-2008, 05:46 PM
It is not that I love Rudy so much. Look when Roy for came to the blazers............no one was that hyped up him. We were not sure what we were going to get. We are not sure what we are going to get with Rudy either. However, Roy seems to be banged up a lot. More so than other NBA players. I think that is not going to change. I predict that Rudy will win the spot over Roy within two or three years. Not because Rudy is so much better.........but because Roy is not in the line up due to injury. I think the coach's are going to realize they don't loose anything when Roy is out because they have the same type of player in Rudy. Making the argument that he is kind of small is valid. However, we all know that can change in one season.
Anyone know Micheal Jordon's weight out of college? How much did Roy weigh his rooking season? 15 pounds different? My only point is Rudy brings more then people know. My favorite player is not Rudy on this team. It is Roy. However, at the end of the day I am a Blazer fan and whoever makes this team better is who I want to watch. I hope that Roy can have a season that he is not out for two weeks at a time due to ankle or knee problems.........or some random hip problem. However, if he is...........then there is Rudy or Bayless.

patriotsfan50
08-15-2008, 06:41 PM
It is not that I love Rudy so much. Look when Roy for came to the blazers............no one was that hyped up him. We were not sure what we were going to get. We are not sure what we are going to get with Rudy either. However, Roy seems to be banged up a lot. More so than other NBA players. I think that is not going to change. I predict that Rudy will win the spot over Roy within two or three years. Not because Rudy is so much better.........but because Roy is not in the line up due to injury. I think the coach's are going to realize they don't loose anything when Roy is out because they have the same type of player in Rudy. Making the argument that he is kind of small is valid. However, we all know that can change in one season.
Anyone know Micheal Jordon's weight out of college? How much did Roy weigh his rooking season? 15 pounds different? My only point is Rudy brings more then people know. My favorite player is not Rudy on this team. It is Roy. However, at the end of the day I am a Blazer fan and whoever makes this team better is who I want to watch. I hope that Roy can have a season that he is not out for two weeks at a time due to ankle or knee problems.........or some random hip problem. However, if he is...........then there is Rudy or Bayless.

dude im sorry but your high if you think rudy will win out the starting job over Roy. Roy is the franchise player and is the reason why people started watching the blazers again. Mcmillan and Pritchard will never start anyone over roy. i can see Roy starting at Point some games and Rudy at the 2 or three maybe once or twice. but Rudy will never start over roy

ragee
08-15-2008, 07:50 PM
I just want to make it clear the Bayless has no issues with playmaking. In fact that is one of his strenghts. He can get to the rim with ease. His problem is PG skills, but that is why we have Roy.

Bayless is a combo guard... Play making is the least of his talent... He is going to be a player ranging from Ben Gordon to AI... I hope he can develop his passing game... So he can be great... For now, Roy will be running the point and handling the plays...

ragee
08-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Rudy can play the point as well as the 2. His D in the NBA will be good. FIBA ball is so much more physical than the NBA. He will be just fine.

As for Rudy not starting, he is and will be better than Bayless (who everyone believes can start in time and shouldn't). This guy is a European phenom. He isn't better than Manu YET.

Roy is better than Rudy but these guys are BOTH tall combo guards. I think having 2 good combo guards is as good as having 1 good point and 1 good 2. Maybe better.

They can play at the same time.

I remember you! LOL! I also think Bayless is not that ready yet but who else do we have? Roy and Rudy can play at the same time... However, the problem with that will be defense... Quicker pgs will just pass them with ease...

I say lets leave Rudy in the bench and be our sixth man... I am not really taking anything away from the guy... Its just that we have so much talent in this team...:D lol... People are comparing him to Manu... So let him be our Manu... Manu is a sixth man but the Spurs are not degrading him in any way... It's just that it is better for him and the team if he does not start...

ragee
08-15-2008, 08:00 PM
dude im sorry but your high if you think rudy will win out the starting job over Roy. Roy is the franchise player and is the reason why people started watching the blazers again. Mcmillan and Pritchard will never start anyone over roy. i can see Roy starting at Point some games and Rudy at the 2 or three maybe once or twice. but Rudy will never start over roy

I completely agree... In scoring, maybe Rudy can surpass Roy's skills but overall, its a different story...

jnb58
08-15-2008, 09:10 PM
I remember you! LOL! I also think Bayless is not that ready yet but who else do we have? Roy and Rudy can play at the same time... However, the problem with that will be defense... Quicker pgs will just pass them with ease...

I say lets leave Rudy in the bench and be our sixth man... I am not really taking anything away from the guy... Its just that we have so much talent in this team...:D lol... People are comparing him to Manu... So let him be our Manu... Manu is a sixth man but the Spurs are not degrading him in any way... It's just that it is better for him and the team if he does not start...

Yes, I am the Bayless hater in the group (I don't hate him, I just don't like his fit on the team).

Roy and Rudy cover more space defensively than Bayless does because of their length and their underestimated quickness. The players these guys can't keep up with are guys no one can defend.

He averaged 2 steals per game in a more physical league. He also does not let people get past without a fight. He plays great team D and my favorite part:
HE GETS PERIMITER BLOCKS! I wish I had video of the NCB games I saw. Granted that FIBA is a perimiter game but it was still unreal. I can't wait to see how his game translates to the NBA.

A.Mopp
08-16-2008, 01:42 AM
Bayless is a combo guard... Play making is the least of his talent... He is going to be a player ranging from Ben Gordon to AI... I hope he can develop his passing game... So he can be great... For now, Roy will be running the point and handling the plays...

He is a great playmaker. He gets to the rim and into the lane so easy, then he make a pass or hit a shot. That is play making. Did you watch any summer league?

ragee
08-16-2008, 03:39 AM
Yes, I am the Bayless hater in the group (I don't hate him, I just don't like his fit on the team).

Roy and Rudy cover more space defensively than Bayless does because of their length and their underestimated quickness. The players these guys can't keep up with are guys no one can defend.

He averaged 2 steals per game in a more physical league. He also does not let people get past without a fight. He plays great team D and my favorite part:
HE GETS PERIMITER BLOCKS! I wish I had video of the NCB games I saw. Granted that FIBA is a perimiter game but it was still unreal. I can't wait to see how his game translates to the NBA.

I am not sure about Rudy's quickness, but I do think that other pgs can pass them very easily... however, they can post them up all day as a payback... lol... Like I said before, I didn't like Bayless coz he is a a combo guard... What we really need is a true pg... I wanted Augustine... However, we can't do anything about it anymore... Plus, after seeing him in the summer league, I'm ok with him now... Just sign Koponen Pritchard!!!! Having Roy also makes up for him not being the true pg...

ragee
08-16-2008, 03:59 AM
He is a great playmaker. He gets to the rim and into the lane so easy, then he make a pass or hit a shot. That is play making. Did you watch any summer league?

That is just part of playmaking... I didn't say he can't pass the ball... However, he is a shoot first pg... He can score at will... That is how he became a good player... Not his playmaking skills... Starbury, AI and Arenas all have decent assist percentage... Can you call them a great playmaker? Like Kidd? No... Because they are not... Most of their assists are composed of either flashy passes or dished out passes when they drive to the basket... A great playmaker does not think of shooting first then running plays for the team later... Playmaking is about passing and setting up plays on the court, getting the ball to the right person at the right time, making that one extra pass to get a better shot and dictating the tempo of the game... Being a great playmaker is not just about driving to the basket and dishing out the ball to your teammates...

I am not saying Bayless is not any good because I think he is... I'd rather have a true pg though... If you still think he is a great playmaker, read his scouting report... Compare him to Koponen... They are going to be are pgs of the future... They are both good but their styles are different... Bayless is a great scorer and a decent passer, Koponen is a decent scorer and a great playmaker...

phils07
08-18-2008, 01:59 AM
"Rudy is no Manu. Manu plays very solid defense (even though most of it is flopping lol jk.)"

in no way is manu a "very solid defender." manu and rudy are basically the same player. their defense is lacking. their offense is money. except rudy might be able to create more since he lead the league or his team in dimes and apparently theyre more stringent in giving people assists. i dont know if manu did that as well. rudy is going to be good. manu is good. but in no way is he a solid defender.

i just read a hoopshype profile of manu saying he is a solid defender. i dunno i guess i just disagree. he does take charges, but thats as far as i will acknowledge on that end of the floor.

FNM BOY
08-20-2008, 04:11 PM
YOu guys have an overload of guards..I just hope you find a way to work it out...i can see somone becoming disgruntle with playing time.

Hustla23
08-20-2008, 09:49 PM
"Rudy is no Manu. Manu plays very solid defense (even though most of it is flopping lol jk.)"

in no way is manu a "very solid defender." manu and rudy are basically the same player. their defense is lacking. their offense is money. except rudy might be able to create more since he lead the league or his team in dimes and apparently theyre more stringent in giving people assists. i dont know if manu did that as well. rudy is going to be good. manu is good. but in no way is he a solid defender.

i just read a hoopshype profile of manu saying he is a solid defender. i dunno i guess i just disagree. he does take charges, but thats as far as i will acknowledge on that end of the floor.

Manu Ginobli wouldn't get any playing time with the Spurs if he didn't play solid defense. That's what the Spurs are all about. Defense first.

I hope Rudy can emulate Manu's game offensively as well as defensively.

I think Rudy has an edge in his shooting ability and athleticism over Manu.

jnb58
08-21-2008, 03:44 AM
You guys should watch the games more closely. I've actually watched a few of his Euro/Spanish league games and his D is very good there.

http://www.blazersedge.com/2008/8/20/597417/rudy-recap-breaking-down-t

This covers the olympics where the competition will probably be similar to average NBA teams who are good from the perimeter.

JWalk126
08-21-2008, 12:52 PM
I never got to see him in Euroleague play

jnb58
08-24-2008, 03:54 AM
I hope everyone on this board watched the Gold Medal Game. Rudy was unreal in the first half. If you have any doubts about his game, watch him online.

Offensively: He spread the floor to the perimeter, he fought through bodies to draw important fouls (may be a flopper though), passed very well, handled the above average for a 2 and ran the offense 1/2 the game against the best the NBA has.

Defensively: Too many fouls, did a great job spacing the floor, he overplayed the passing lanes in a good way (forced the USA away from the mid-range jumper), great help D and very team oriented.

Conclusion: He can play the point!!! He is a great defender in zone and above average Man to Man.
He will be a very good 2. Similar to Roy.

BTW Marc Gasol is SICK! Rubio will be very good.

blueandteal
08-24-2008, 04:28 AM
He looked great! I'm excited about the upcoming season!

Rudy_Fernandez
08-24-2008, 06:14 AM
http://i36.tinypic.com/mkynva.jpg

He is just much better you can imagine Blazers fans...enjoy this season with him. Go Rudy!! Go Spain!!

OtR_Ducks
08-24-2008, 04:14 PM
haha i was gonna post that video as well. little bit of an off arm but whatever. this guy is gonna be crazy good in a blazers uni

A.Mopp
08-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Rudy had a great game in the gold game. I am so stoked for the season.

blueandteal
08-24-2008, 07:26 PM
He played great in a pressure game against some of the NBA's best. What can he do against an average NBA team?

Rudy_Fernandez
08-24-2008, 08:11 PM
http://i34.tinypic.com/2na5st5.gif

For Prince with love...

http://i33.tinypic.com/15d2e8p.gif

For LeBron with much more love...

A.Mopp
08-24-2008, 08:32 PM
He did play a great game against the US.

SAVAGE CLAW
08-24-2008, 11:24 PM
Well. you see? he CAN play Pg and keep pace with Paul or Deron, cant he guard Earl Watson , Jameer Nelson or Mo Williams? :p

So Rudy,Roy, Outlow,Aldrige,Oden.

jnb58
08-24-2008, 11:31 PM
Well. you see? he CAN play Pg and keep pace with Paul or Deron, cant he guard Earl Watson , Jameer Nelson or Mo Williams? :p

So Rudy,Roy, Outlow,Aldrige,Oden.

I've been saying it all along. Nbadraft.net has him as a PG/SG. He can play team defense that makes Zone D unstoppable and he can keep up in man to man. He is quicker than I ever seen him though.

A.Mopp
08-24-2008, 11:32 PM
Rubio played PG most the game. And he still isn't going to start. It will be best for him to come off the bench and be the spark the second team needs.

jnb58
08-24-2008, 11:54 PM
When it isn't Blake or it will probably be Roy or Fernandez then Sergio. I will bet he practices as a both PG and SG with the Blazers.

Anyway this is the best youtube video I can find of his highlights. Not all dunks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0HLn0v0SZ0

IndiansFan337
08-25-2008, 11:10 AM
I watched the entire game, he did come to play. it's a shame that the refs blew a ton of fouls & he eventually fouled out.

For some reason, he didn't get the start though. I thought he had been starting most of the team's game so far this season.

That big dunk he had was the best dunk of the game. And that isn't usually said about a Team USA opponent.

Hustla23
08-25-2008, 12:09 PM
You people who think he can play starting PG , you're insane.

This guy is a SG. Rotate him with Bayless and Roy.

Dawson8
08-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Look you all need to understand I don't love Rudy more than roy. I am saying the following: He is better than most of you thought before the Gold Medal game. When he plays for the Blazers he will not start OVER Roy. However, I am saying it wouldn't suprise me if he was in the starting line up at 2 or 3. Meaning Roy would run the point, Roy was hurt, or he starts over Outlaw/Webster. Roy isn't exactly always healthy..........Rudy also showed that his size is not going to be a problem at the 3. (please reference to video above) Regardless, if he starts or not..........The Blazers are loaded! A nice problem to have.

A.Mopp
08-25-2008, 07:00 PM
You people who think he can play starting PG , you're insane.

This guy is a SG. Rotate him with Bayless and Roy.

Thank you! Someone who makes sense

That is what i have been saying all this time! He will play the SF before he plays PG

adj3369
08-25-2008, 11:32 PM
whoever said rudy should be the sixth man because he can be the spark of the 2nd team and also that it wont matter because he and roy will be on the floor in the final 4 minutes...is absolutely right.(period)

A.Mopp
08-25-2008, 11:57 PM
whoever said rudy should be the sixth man because he can be the spark of the 2nd team and also that it wont matter because he and roy will be on the floor in the final 4 minutes...is absolutely right.(period)

also me. thank you, another person making sense.

blazers=future
08-29-2008, 05:50 AM

I agree as well....
Also, Rudy isn't a PG lets be serious
Definately an SG and maybe a small SF
Im really excited about seeing him this year...
Especially after that dunk on Dwight!

Sports Illustrator
08-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Back home from the Olympics, where he was an assistant coach for Team USA, Trail Blazers coach Nate McMillan on Thursday could finally reveal the two-week struggle he endured in Beijing. There were sleepless nights. A self-imposed muzzle on his emotions. And the uneasiness of choosing an allegiance. All because of Rudy Fernandez. The high-energy shooting guard for Spain, who will join the Blazers this month, excelled during the Olympics, which included a team-high 22 points in the gold medal loss to the Ameicans. And after getting a front-row view for many of Spain's games, McMillan said Fernandez, 23, is so talented that he will "definitely" play, and play a lot, for the Blazers.

From The Oregonian (http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2008/08/rudy_fernandez_leaves_olympic.html)

A.Mopp
08-29-2008, 08:44 PM
Yeah, McMillan knows that you can't keep a talent like rudy on the bench. He will get lots of PT.