PDA

View Full Version : Broduer's future

theciveng
08-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Broduer is starting to get up there in age now, 36 years old. He has said that he wants to play till at least 40. But how much longer do you think he can last. I think that he will play for another 6 or 7 years, and because of who he is he will start until he retires. But how long do you think he will be at this high of a level. His shut out numbers went way down last year, but i think the number will come back up. How long will he be here and who do you see taking over for him?

JetsYanksDevils
08-05-2008, 08:44 AM
i could see him being a GOOD player untill 40 after that he will just be okay but if the devils had a good Offense the years that he will be okay there team will be fine

KJL
08-07-2008, 03:01 AM
If he wants to play into his 40's the team will have to keep his number of starts to under 60 per year and closer to 50 would be better. But the truth is that the Devils need to start looking for Brodeurs replacement now. Not everyone can be a Cal Ripken, though Brodeur is sure doing his best, and the older he gets the chance of injury increases as well.

fabnfu2
08-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Regardless of his shutout numbers going down he still won the Vezina last year, i think he has another 3-4 solid seasons left in him.

hughest4
08-27-2008, 02:21 PM
I agree with basically everyone else in this thread. The fact that his numbers down could be because of his age, but maybe he just had a down year. If he has un-Broduer like numbers again this season then we will know its because of his age. I'd like to see him play until he is 40 but i also don't want him to be one of those guys sitting on the bench late in his career. I want him to go out on top

njdevs25
08-27-2008, 09:06 PM
i think next year is when we draft a top rated goaile and he will take over in 4 years im goin to miss marty but im going to enjoy him while hes here now

Bricklayer
08-29-2008, 11:59 AM
I agree with basically everyone else in this thread. The fact that his numbers down could be because of his age, but maybe he just had a down year. If he has un-Broduer like numbers again this season then we will know its because of his age. I'd like to see him play until he is 40 but i also don't want him to be one of those guys sitting on the bench late in his career. I want him to go out on top

Not sure what you mean down year, yeah he didn't break Jaque Plante's win record again this year but he still won the Vezina making him the best keeper in the league. He did'nt play well in the playoffs but his regular season stats were outstanding. The Devils have been drafting goalies for years now hoping to find Marty's replacement but haven't found anyone. Drafting goalies is a complete crapshoot,(just ask Trevor Kidd) Not too mention the fact that no goalie in the world can succeed as Marty's back-up, how do you improve at the N.H.L level when you get to play 10 games a year. When Brodeur finally decides to hang em up, New Jersey is going to have to look for a tender via trade or free agency.

hughest4
08-29-2008, 01:50 PM
Not sure what you mean down year, yeah he didn't break Jaque Plante's win record again this year but he still won the Vezina making him the best keeper in the league. He did'nt play well in the playoffs but his regular season stats were outstanding. The Devils have been drafting goalies for years now hoping to find Marty's replacement but haven't found anyone. Drafting goalies is a complete crapshoot,(just ask Trevor Kidd) Not too mention the fact that no goalie in the world can succeed as Marty's back-up, how do you improve at the N.H.L level when you get to play 10 games a year. When Brodeur finally decides to hang em up, New Jersey is going to have to look for a tender via trade or free agency.

Yeah, i guess your right. I just kind of glanced at his shutouts and saw they were way down from the year before. I paired that together with his rough series against the Rangers and just figured he didn't have a great statistical season. He is still the best goalie in the league and i'm not looking forward to life without Marty.

tigeronio
08-31-2008, 12:01 PM
Brodeur has averaged around 38 wins per season in his career. Larry Robinson was once quoted saying he would never see a goaltender have 700 wins in his lifetime. Brodeur is 13 Wins away from Roy's record. Even if Brodeur averages 35 wins a season for the next four years, he'll have about 680 wins at the end of that time. i could see him winning more than 35 a season. Hey, nobody believed anyone would ever break Sawchuck's record of 103 shutouts. Brodeur is what? 5 shutouts away from that? Watch, here is a number nobody ever wants to mention, but I'm calling here, Brodeur will be the only goaltender EVER to have 700 wins.

Jersey Mike
09-01-2008, 06:34 AM
you also have to look at the amount of time the puck was in our end EVERY game...we didn't have a big offensive push and played defense almost the entire game...plus our GF / GA numbers werent staggering either...pretty much even...we didn't win a lot of games 5-0...more like 1-0, 2-1 ETC...plays a big part in a goalie's game...his shots on goals was often higher than that of goalies on teams we beat during the same game...I have to give marty a pass on this season, but to answer the question...I say he has about two more years at 60 games a year and then like someone else said, they are gonna have to get him down to 50 or so...at that point, he definitely has another 4 or more years on him...